Gaze of Darkness change... Yikes — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Gaze of Darkness change... Yikes

ventusthunder.5067ventusthunder.5067 Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2, 2019 in Revenant

I figured there'd be a catch with the way Gaze of Darkness works as it initially sounded like a big buff to the reveal range, in fact, most rev players thought that buff was unnecessary.

Of course, we log in the game and find that lo and behold, it's actually probably the biggest nerf the skill could have had. In all three gamemodes, if your enemy is NOT stealthed but is within range of Gaze of Darkness, what happens to your enemy?

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

No vuln, no blind, no reveal. No way to blind a big attack in melee range vs a class like warrior, guardian, elementalist, necromancer, or another revenant. No way to preemptively reveal a target to prevent them from stealthing. You made this skill another Detection Pulse... except heralds HAVE to take it, and no one has ever complained about this skill being overpowered. It's worked this way for 4 years.

Congratulations, this consume skill is now completely worthless against 5 of the 9 professions in this video game.

Simply revert it, please. For the sake of every herald player in the whole game.

Edit: So in the patch notes, it says this change is aimed at WvW. Countering the perma stealth builds that plague WvW... oh wait, there's only one of those: deadeye. And it's only prevalent in roaming, not showing up in PvP at any decent skill level. In addition, herald was better against deadeye BEFORE this patch. Good heralds use this skill PREEMPTIVELY in addition to reactively. Now the class has a grand total of one blind. On the staff. After a block channel. In which you need to be facing your opponent in incredibly close range just to land a blind. Using the skill preemptively can let you get your siphons and extra damage from vulnerability, it can prevent a thief from stealthing, it can blind a big hit coming in.

Does herald (especially in PvP) need even more of its pressure and defensive ability revoked at the same time? This class does not need a lower skill cap in addition to being objectively worse.

I hope the Balance Team can see that this change has made Gaze of Darkness:

100% worthless in PvE.

99% worthless in PvP.

95% worthless in WvW.

If this is a bug, fine, that's understandable. If this is intended behavior, we implore you to take a look at how a seemingly innocuous change has completely gutted this ability.

edit: THANK YOU SIR

good lord i am absolute trash at this video game

Tagged:

Comments

• Virdo.1540Virdo.1540 Member ✭✭✭

+1 whats this kitten

• ViktorAlgeheri.9825ViktorAlgeheri.9825 Member
    edited October 1, 2019

Also +1 at this unnecessary change

• mrauls.6519mrauls.6519 Member ✭✭✭

Amazing change! Now stealthed enemies have to be extra careful vs Heralds. Tee-hee

• Vasdamas Anklast.1607Vasdamas Anklast.1607 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2019

I didn't realize it's not now like this until I read this thread. What the actual kitten

I used this skill to blind some classes before they charge at me with some big D CC ability on me in close combat, now it's gonna be useless. And worst part is it will take some time before I adjust to this change on subconscious level. I mean 600 reveal range is pretty kitten well for me as WvW revenant since small scale roaming is full of thief/mesmer hit and run BS but if I were to choose I'd take old version any day. This is almost as bad as Unyielding Anguish rework (that 33% buff to power damage on CONDI LEGEND btw. Like U WOT)
    Show me the guy who is in charge of revenant SHOWWWWWWWWW MEEEEEEEEE

• Knighthonor.4061Knighthonor.4061 Member ✭✭✭✭

this likely a bug

• idolin.2831idolin.2831 Member ✭✭✭

Please let this be a bug

• Aeolus.3615Aeolus.3615 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2019

:). > @mrauls.6519 said:

Amazing change! Now stealthed enemies have to be extra careful vs Heralds. Tee-

Players are over reacting to no stealth targets?
    Is it’s a good trade off?

I actually prefer it to be strong against stealthed units in trade of being another damage skill. :/

• Arkantos.7460Arkantos.7460 Member ✭✭✭

AHH thanks to mention this, iI tested it also vs golems and got nothing on activation ... I hope this is not working as intended... because only works vs stealthed ones is extremely FERF if it stays as it is

• Justine.6351Justine.6351 Member ✭✭✭✭

Rofl and I was laughing at MOAR chronomancer nerfs...
    I hope it was intended just because it makes them look like they don't know what they are doing, even more so.

Anet buff me :-(
    Make me good at game!

• @Aeolus.3615 said:
    :). > @mrauls.6519 said:

Amazing change! Now stealthed enemies have to be extra careful vs Heralds. Tee-

Players are over reacting to no stealth targets?
    Is it’s a good trade off?

I actually prefer it to be strong against stealthed units in trade of being another damage skill. :/

Glint already has 3 good damaging skills, GoD was used for utility like stunbreaking and blinding a massive hit. This better be just a bug.

• Shao.7236Shao.7236 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2019

To me it's clearly a bug, just report it. There's no way in hell they would let the skill be this useless. Even "On My mark!" works , though it's a single target... Requires the user to be proactive and not reactive. There's no reason to be so counter productive and remove the ability to apply anything with the skill.

As far as I know Sight Beyond Sight only reveals if someone is in stealth, but that's also a bad thing. Revealed should just be applicable no matter what the state of someone is.

• wowwwww. as if I needed even more reasons to not log in. Totally not surprised though. Now let's wait for fix which will come 2 years from now...

• Yeah... I hope this is a bug as well.

• Matiole.6857Matiole.6857 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2, 2019

I'm a firebrand main and I think this is bullkitten for revs.

• Oogabooga.3812Oogabooga.3812 Member ✭✭✭

Confirmed with guildies. Not stealthed, nothing happens - no blind, no vulnerability stacks. BUT you do get placed in combat, so......win?

• @Oogabooga.3812 said:
    Confirmed with guildies. Not stealthed, nothing happens - no blind, no vulnerability stacks. BUT you do get placed in combat, so......win?

oh so we can still blind ambient creature for 100 energy before enemy engages, good.

• Catchyfx.5768Catchyfx.5768 Member ✭✭✭

Anybody reported this as bug? Loooks awful

Jokaurene

• Oogabooga.3812Oogabooga.3812 Member ✭✭✭

@Vasdamas Anklast.1607 said:

@Oogabooga.3812 said:

oh so we can still blind ambient creature for 100 energy before enemy engages, good.

Oh that is an interesting possibility. Did not test that. The ambient probably wouldn’t be blinded, so watch out for them deadly fireflies!

• Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2019

@Oogabooga.3812 said:
    so watch out for them deadly fireflies!

laughs in veteran oakheart

• more like gaze of garbage!

clueless, as usual, about everything to do with rev...you buffed the POWER damage of call to anguish (why though) and reduced the recharge of an elite that most people cast once per legend swap..ummm

the jalis changes are actually pretty good, but you failed to address that the elite is arguably the worst in the game and the heal is still really bad.

not to mention renegade has been unplayable in competitive play since day 1

the gaze of darkness nonsense is just icing on the cake.

pls leave rev alone lol

• Queen.5837Queen.5837 Member ✭✭

I won't be surprised if this wasn't a bug and is actually intended. That's how Anet works.

• Pterikdactyl.7630Pterikdactyl.7630 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Karl McLain.5604
    @Irenio CalmonHuang.2048
    @Robert Gee.9246

Would any of you mind confirming whether this is a bug or an intended change with the skill?

• Pterikdactyl.7630Pterikdactyl.7630 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 said:
    This was not intended and is going to be addressed in the next (non-balance) update.

Thank you for the response! This is the news we were all hoping to hear.

This was not intended and is going to be addressed in the next (non-balance) update.

Thanks much for responding

• @Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 said:

Awesome to hear! Maybe take a look into Coalescence of Ruin too if you guys can- either more was changed than was listed in the balance update notes, or there are just a few bugs currently with the skill now. One being how it no longer aims at the currently selected target and instead just fires in the direction your character is facing at the beginning of the cast animation, and another how it seems to be getting stuck on terrain and failing to impact again more than it did pre-patch.

• @Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 said:

Dwayna bless you good sir

good lord i am absolute trash at this video game

• Shao.7236Shao.7236 Member ✭✭✭

So glad to hear it is, not being able to have this simple blind made Revenant so much more vulnerable to pretty much.. Anything.

• narcx.3570narcx.3570 Member ✭✭✭✭

@LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:
    wowwwww. as if I needed even more reasons to not log in. Totally not surprised though. Now let's wait for fix which will come 2 years from now...

Yeah I was actually finally gonna play the game today (other than my sunday night resetraid full clear) and do some roaming... But, now... Yeah right.

• Kahrgan.7401Kahrgan.7401 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2019

duplicate pls dlt :cold_sweat:

• Kahrgan.7401Kahrgan.7401 Member ✭✭✭

Goodie gum drops, however, any idea when that will be? its a pretty detrimental change.

• Tammuz.7361Tammuz.7361 Member ✭✭✭

Any chance you can also fix the new terrain bugging of COR while your at it?

• Klypto.1703Klypto.1703 Member ✭✭✭

Never say no one will complain about something because at some point they will complain about how too OP the kalla ghosts are when running over one with 50+ players.

• This is legit a gamebreaking bug, in pvp it changes entire matchups and for condi builds its big loss of damage cuz cant cover combos with soft conditions, things like this should be hotfixed in 2 days max but anet never seize to amaze people, not on the good side unfortunately.

edited October 11, 2019

was it always on 20 seconds cd ?!?!?!?!
    i thought 15 ?!?!?!
    wiki said 15!

• @Arkantos.7460 said:
    was it always on 20 seconds cd ?!?!?!?!
    i thought 15 ?!?!?!
    wiki said 15!

It’s a PvP split. If you click at the top you can see the difference

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.