What's the point of soldier's focus

Lighter.5631

you might as well just sayevery 15 second, your burst skill grant 3 might to nearby alliesevery 15 second, your burst skill reduce weapon skill by 3 secondsevery 15 second, your burst skill heal nearby allies.

such complexity only for the sack of complexity....also very misleading

why add soldier's focus in front of every thing, you literally have it perma anyway..and the traits all proc in 15 second ICD....its not like you can stack or theres a timer...

some one explain, is it so they can reduce the times they say the word "burst skills?"...

There are a few problems with it currently.

Accessing Soldier's Focus

• There is no reliable way to give this to yourself other than waiting 15s. Ive thought of two different ways to address this.
  • One way could be to have minor or major traits that make you gain soldier's focus when you do something (i.e. successfully evade with a CD, grant might to an ally with a CD, use a warhorn skill or shout if you take those traits in tactics, etc).
  • Another way could be to decrease the CD of the next soldier's focus every time you successfully use it. This would meet the needs of their intention for the warrior support to be stronger the longer you are in combat. This would reset when you go out of combat but it could be something like 16s base, then after 1 successful use the CD is 12s, then 8s, then 4s or something like that.

Soldier's Focus abilities:

• It just doesn't do enough to be worth the trait investment, which effectively means you just get the 3 might every 15s on using a burst.
  • There could be traits that give more powerful things that warrior doesn't have access to. (i.e. 5 target AOE stab on activation)
  • The GM for 3s reduced cooldown on weapon skill should just be baseline IMO. It's not really worthy of a GM that competes with the shout trait and PS.

Issues with actually activating Soldier's Focus

• The main issue is that we have another traitline that is focused on it's key ability being tied to hitting with a burst skill. Adrenal health in defense, berserker power and MMR when using Spb in Strength, swiftness traits in discipline, etc. The reason this is an issue IMO is that when you take tactics and want to focus on burst skill activation for this mechanic, you are also effectively forced to take discipline, otherwise you are massively starved for adrenaline.
  • I see two ways to address this. 1) Add the adrenaline on shout back to the GM trait. 2) Have a separate way to active soldier's focus outside of hitting with a burst skill.

@ButterPeanut.9746 said:

• It just doesn't do enough to be worth the trait investment, which effectively means you just get the 3 might every 15s on using a burst.
  • There could be traits that give more powerful things that warrior doesn't have access to. (i.e. 5 target AOE stab on activation)
  • The GM for 3s reduced cooldown on weapon skill should just be baseline IMO. It's not really worthy of a GM that competes with the shout trait and PS.

Agree on this :D 3 might every 15 secs if burst hit? Meh Herald press 1 Facet and give more might all day everyday.Stability is a good idea actually so more class have access to give stabs but I think it's maybe 3 stab, because best case scenario if you hit burst consistently giving 5 stabs is too much.About the GM trait... I think this is depend on what build people play, for support with warhorn shout yes obviously shout trait is so good. PS is how to put this, it's really depend, like for example I recenly enjoy the Tactic Disc SpellbreakerTactic 1-1-1Disc 2-2-3Spellbreaker 3-1-1

With this setup the only might I can generate myself is 2 stack of Might if I swap weapon from the minor trait discipline, FGJ? no place for that my utility is EP, Break Enchantment and Balance Stance. So not many self might generated to be PS ed, although maybe if weapon got the Strength sigil (grants might on critical hit) or maybe the armor got certain rune which generate might could cover for that.

@DKRathalos.9625 said:

Agree on this :D 3 might every 15 secs if burst hit? Meh Herald press 1 Facet and give more might all day everyday.Stability is a good idea actually so more class have access to give stabs but I think it's maybe 3 stab, because best case scenario if you hit burst consistently giving 5 stabs is too much.About the GM trait... I think this is depend on what build people play, for support with warhorn shout yes obviously shout trait is so good. PS is how to put this, it's really depend, like for example I recenly enjoy the Tactic Disc SpellbreakerTactic 1-1-1Disc 2-2-3Spellbreaker 3-1-1

With this setup the only might I can generate myself is 2 stack of Might if I swap weapon from the minor trait discipline, FGJ? no place for that my utility is EP, Break Enchantment and Balance Stance. So not many self might generated to be PS ed, although maybe if weapon got the Strength sigil (grants might on critical hit) or maybe the armor got certain rune which generate might could cover for that.

Yeah PS is more for FotM or raids I'd think, or roaming with a group in WvW with a Core warrior. Seems with how little Might they chose to give with Soldier's Focus that they intended it to be more of a self sustain trait than a group might trait. If PS doubled the might it gave out it might [pun not intended] compare with the Druid for Might stacking, but then the self sustain from Mender's Might would be too high and there would be QQ on the forums about it.