kinda new player. need help with classes after 1st of Oct Patch !

noiwk.2760

hello guys, i've been in the game for about 2 weeks now still new... i made Scourge support but then only to find out on a nice morning (Oct 1st) that the class is being erased from the game.. before the 1st Oct i really did enjoy the Scourge it was alot of bottom smashing but overall pleasent gameplay and i liked it..after the 1st Oct patch the class becomes and feel unplayable for me . its annoying when you get knocked back out of the sand shade or when mosters move away from it..so very sad about it.. but decided to quit Necro untill this is changed .

the advice ! i really need help with chosing a decent class after this patch my main focus and stuff i like are Fractals Dungeons and raids.i do like some pvp and wvw but i can make char just for that aswell.. i dont expect a class to be good at anything but fairly balanced class that is doing decent but not op at all of theseis also good for me. thanks for help ! also.. i dont mind the class not being super easy but i rather not have a class that is like crazy insanly hard and complicated to play. thanks alot !

Guardian or Warrior are probably safe bets.

Warrior has banners and if you're doing fractals with boons you get to slot in spellbreaker. In addition it has high health and more toughness than necro.

Guardian has party-wide quickness via firebrand spec ("quickbrand") , power DPS for single target bosses as dragonhunter. Unlike warrior it has a smaller health pool but you get aegis which cuts some of the risk (even more so if you run mace).

i see thank you. so your advice is spell breaker or guardian?
to be honest.. i tried warrior when i just started the game.. i did not reach far but most weapons felt.. Umm clunky and not a very smooth gameplay. it was really easy simple class but abit not fun to play? atleast thats my expe with core warrior in the early game. ( did not try greatsword. tho )

I suggest you change from Scourge to Reaper + minion build.

1. It is easy for you to get HP rather then lvl another character again.
  2. reaper+ minion build is easy to play with. you only need control skill 1~5
  3. its really strong. dungeon, open world, meta no problem.

i used to use mesmer as my main, all the good stuff is with her. but now i use this build as mainly. and this become my main character now. simply just useweapon. greatsword / axe+warhorn. skill 6~9 (Blood Fiend, Bone minions, Bone Fiend, Rise!, Flesh Golem).Gear: i mostly use PPF, change to PTV amor on Meta or map run (skipping enemy). ( my armor and weapon still exotic only trinket is ascended)Specializations: i cant remember mine. but you can find the build easy online

after you have enough resource. you can build another class for PVP and WvW

guys i decided to make Power Tempest any tips and advices? i see different builds on meta battles and crow.
i do have some questions why spacter and horne? and why water element if its not healer ? is earth worth it for defensive? how the class concept work?thank you!

@noiwk.2760 said:guys i decided to make Power Tempest any tips and advices? i see different builds on meta battles and crow.

i do have some questions why spacter and horne? and why water element if its not healer ? is earth worth it for defensive? how the class concept work?thank you!

Power Tempest is a build that is similar to core elementalist's fresh air build, only it uses warhorn instead of focus or off-hand dagger. Most meta sites show builds with power tempest using scepter/warhorn because the scepter is a very fast paced weapon that has plenty of instant cast skills especially when attuned to air and the warhorn is used for stacking might, CC, stacking vulnerability, reflects, water fields and blast finishers that can be used in that water field. It's a fresh air build because that trait instantly refreshes your air attunement by 100%, so you don't have to wait for 20 seconds or less for the attunements to be off cooldown if you overload them. Start the scepter air auto attack, attune to a different element, deal a critical hit, attune back to air and within 6 seconds you can overload air, stack vulnerability and deal damage in an area.

I don't think if I've ever seen a power tempest build using the water or earth specializations on meta sites, let alone see anyone use them in-game. Most players use air, arcane and tempest, occasionally swapping arcane for fire. Thanks to the recent balance patches, core elementalist using that same build only with scepter/focus can be viable in end-game PvE content, but only if they are using the water specialization for the damage increase while enemies have vulnerability.

@Hoodie.1045 said:

@noiwk.2760 said:guys i decided to make Power Tempest any tips and advices? i see different builds on meta battles and crow.

Power Tempest is a build that is similar to core elementalist's fresh air build, only it uses warhorn instead of focus or off-hand dagger. Most meta sites show builds with power tempest using scepter/warhorn because the scepter is a very fast paced weapon that has plenty of instant cast skills especially when attuned to air and the warhorn is used for stacking might, CC, stacking vulnerability, reflects, water fields and blast finishers that can be used in that water field. It's a fresh air build because that trait instantly refreshes your air attunement by 100%, so anyone can just start overloading air, stack vulnerability and deal damage in an area.

I don't think if I've ever seen a power tempest build using the water or earth specializations on meta sites, let alone see anyone use them in-game. Most players use air, arcane and tempest, occasionally switching arcane with fire. Thanks to the recent balance patches, core elementalist using that same build only with scepter/focus can be viable in end-game PvE content, but only if they are using the water specialization for the damage increase while enemies have vulnerability.

i see i wish i understood everything but i understand most of what you are saying. some i still dont because i dont really know the elemtalist mechanic first time trying it.so overall power tempest is a good choice? and is tempest better or worse than core? as for the lines. on both meta battle and Crow i see the power tempest build suggest air+water+tempest. i did find 1 build on meta battle tho suggesting Air+Arcane+ tempest. the Arcane seems to give quite abit of defensive and so does earth water i understrand if stacking heal power.. but i dont know why they pick water line when its pure power. i looked in the rotation and it seems they only use 1 skill of water and is the skill that cause vunability but just for that it worth a whole trait line? i feel like i really need some advices and guideline here.. most gw2 guides just show the build but they do not explain why they chose it or what that line really give me. they seems like builds for an already experinced players which im not. thank you !

@noiwk.2760 said:

Power Tempest is a build that is similar to core elementalist's fresh air build, only it uses warhorn instead of focus or off-hand dagger. Most meta sites show builds with power tempest using scepter/warhorn because the scepter is a very fast paced weapon that has plenty of instant cast skills especially when attuned to air and the warhorn is used for stacking might, CC, stacking vulnerability, reflects, water fields and blast finishers that can be used in that water field. It's a fresh air build because that trait instantly refreshes your air attunement by 100%, so anyone can just start overloading air, stack vulnerability and deal damage in an area.

I don't think if I've ever seen a power tempest build using the water or earth specializations on meta sites, let alone see anyone use them in-game. Most players use air, arcane and tempest, occasionally switching arcane with fire. Thanks to the recent balance patches, core elementalist using that same build only with scepter/focus can be viable in end-game PvE content, but only if they are using the water specialization for the damage increase while enemies have vulnerability.

i see i wish i understood everything but i understand most of what you are saying. some i still dont because i dont really know the elemtalist mechanic first time trying it.so overall power tempest is a good choice? and is tempest better or worse than core?

Most players would say it's better because of the overload mechanic which provides plenty of vulnerability stacking, cleave damage and stun breakers, something that core elementalist lacks. Not saying that core elementalist is bad in PvE, far from it and the recent balance patches buffed the water specialization which has helped core elementalist become more viable, maybe not as viable as power tempest but it's very close.

as for the lines. on both meta battle and Crow i see the power tempest build suggest air+water+tempest. i did find 1 build on meta battle tho suggesting Air+Arcane+ tempest. the Arcane seems to give quite abit of defensive and so does earth water i understrand if stacking heal power.. but i dont know why they pick water line when its pure power. i looked in the rotation and it seems they only use 1 skill of water and is the skill that cause vunability but just for that it worth a whole trait line? i feel like i really need some advices and guideline here.. most gw2 guides just show the build but they do not explain why they chose it or what that line really give me. they seems like builds for an already experinced players which im not. thank you !

I'll explain the reasons for you then, but first I would like to mention this: Metabattle and Snowcrows showcase builds, but Snowcrows showcases builds made specifically for raids, not for all game modes. Metabattle has builds for every game mode and these are all user created so not everything is going to be exactly the same.

Now about the specializations: Earth is a defensive specialization that only protects you so there is no point in using it in PvE, it's only used in healer tempest builds in PvP. Arcane is widely used because of the boons you provide to allies, the reduced attunement cooldowns and the 2% damage increase per boon which comes in handy if you have a support on your team, mainly druid, chronomancer or renegade.

Like I mentioned, the recent balance patches buffed the water specialization. It did buff weaver in PvP with the trait Flow like Water which heals them when blocking or evading attacks, but in PvE it's core elementalist that got buffed the most. The damage increase while above 90% health and while enemies have vulnerability in any attunement is something that I especially wanted to see happen instead of being forced to camp the water attunement in order to get that damage increase.

Shatterstone is great for stacking vulnerability, 5 stacks that last for 15 seconds every 3 seconds (2.5 second if using the water specialization) and if you're playing core elementalist, make sure you use this skill so you can stack vulnerability as much as the tempest's air overload. You don't only have to use this skill, you've got Water Trident for additional self and team sustain and the focus provides an AoE daze. The water specialization also provides core elementalist more sustain than tempest because every time you attune to water you heal yourself and allies, so you can play it as a full power damage build while also providing some sustain to your allies. I really believe that balance patch has somewhat helped core elementalist by bringing it into the PvE meta.

i see :) thank you sooo much that helped me alot ! so defensive and sustain isnt needed in pve? (i guess we are counting on the support then)ill go with the power tempest still i hear its not even too hard to play. and that if you do find it hard you can just skip the water skill. to make it more simple .i suppose arcane line works on all of the element so i guess its nice to have. i guess i can always change that .. ill start with air +Arcane+tempest and see how it goes i guess thanks alot you've been a great help ! last question tho.. even as pure power dps my aim is to grant allies with boons? and thats why i never want earth cause its selfish?

@noiwk.2760 said:i see :) thank you sooo much that helped me alot ! so defensive and sustain isnt needed in pve? (i guess we are counting on the support then)ill go with the power tempest still i hear its not even too hard to play. and that if you do find it hard you can just skip the water skill. to make it more simple .i suppose arcane line works on all of the element so i guess its nice to have. i guess i can always change that .. ill start with air +Arcane+tempest and see how it goes i guess thanks alot you've been a great help ! last question tho.. even as pure power dps my aim is to grant allies with boons? and thats why i never want earth cause its selfish?

Sustain and defensive stats are not needed in end-game PvE at all. Assuming your team has at least 1 healer, just go full power damage. The traits in earth only give the elementalist self sustain, a good example being Stone Heart which grants you and only you immunity to critical hits while you're attuned to earth. The only boon you can give allies from earth is protection whenever you apply auras, but that's nothing compared to what healing builds have to offer. Tempest is easier to play at least when compared to sword/dagger weaver and even fresh air scepter/focus core elementalist (weaver having plenty of skill rotations and core elementalist requiring good timing skills and constant attunement swapping) and you can avoid using the shatterstone skill because you've got plenty of vulnerability stacking abilities thanks to Glyph of Storms, Overload Air and Lightning Orb.

Arcane is a must have because most of the time your team will have a support or even if you don't, other non-support professions can provide some boons so you get the 2% damage increase anyways. Power tempest isn't a build that's meant to provide boons to allies, you can certainly do that, but if we're talking about might stacking, the duration of those boons won't be long enough.

@noiwk.2760 said:1 more thing.. ! i see they add weapon swap in the rotation but they do not have second weapon. if they do its another spacter and horne. why would they swap weapon then?

Elementalist and engineer are the only two professions who can't weapon swap. The other 7 professions are capable of swapping weapons and they provide most of them 10 weapon skills. It may seem like you're missing out on weapon skills, but when you think about it, elementalist with the attunements gives you a total of 20 weapon skills. How many weapon skills does core engineer using 4 kits have? 25 weapon skills, 30 if you count the toolbelt skills.

thanks again, dont get me wrong i like it better without the weapon swap.. weapon swap makes everything more complicated and its also 1 extra key bind. but on tempest rotation from guide they say weapon swap after "Firestorm

• Weapon swap Weapon swap during the very long aftercast to cancel it." and also after overload air but i wonder why

@noiwk.2760 said:also using spacter means having 900 range instead of 1200 of staff is it always worth it? or some situations i would want to change itno staff?

While the staff has longer range than the scepter, it's a very slow weapon that falls flat in terms of dealing damage and it's not as fast or as fluid as the scepter. The staff in my opinion should only be used as a support weapon. It's one of the best support weapons in the game since it allows you to heal from range, making support elementalist a what I like to call sniper support.

The healing tempest build on Snowcrows uses dagger/warhorn. The reason for this is because it has better boon application, but in terms of healing allies the staff is the superior weapon. Your auto attacks heal allies, Ice Spike (staff 2) has a short cooldown, applies vulnerability and it's a blast finisher which is great for additional healing if used in Geyser and Healing Rain. Geyser has the highest direct healing and it's a long ranged rallying skill, meaning you can rally a teammate if they get downed. Healing Rain is the best long ranged cleansing skill.

While I defer to others who have experience with the class, I believe each element has a role - e.g. earth is generally more defensive, water can heal. Air would likely have crowd control benefits, if I remember correctly, so its value is in utility vs raw damage.