Swamp thing

I would guess the swamp was in Queensdale, or it was the beach/swamp kinda area of Sparkfly Fen's south-western corner. So you fought either the Shadow Behemoth or Tequatl the Sunless. Both are worldbosses, and they appear on a set time schedule. There's a timer showing the next few which are due at https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_boss

They usually have a short pre-event that happens just before they spawn :)

@Blacknight.7205 said:So I was in the swamp and there were lots of players with mounts and things so I stood around and looked at the outfits and such and then there was this dragon thing that everyone fought. My question is how did they know it was going to be there or how was it triggered?

A dragon in a swamp with lot of players fighting it. Are you talking about Tequatl the Sunless in Sparkfly Fen? Anyway, that is a world boss, one of the many. World bosses spawn on a timer. Either check the Wiki to know when a boss is going to spawn and where, or (if you have crystals) buy the world boss device from the trading post. That will allow you to always know when a world boss is about to spawn and it will also allow you to teleport to the nearest waypoint.