Would you pay for a new e-spec?

@ZDragon.3046 said:This is a True statement how ever an elite spec has more impact than the things you are comparing to it.For you. That's highly subjective, though.You have to remember there are people who bought HoT and PoF specifically for the elites, there are people who do not care about pve story and there are pvp and wvw mains who use the elites and bought the x packs specifically for the elites. Elites have always been a major selling point as 33% of the overall package.I am 100% sure that if build templates were an expansion feature, there would be people buying that expac for them alone as well. I know i would.

So lets take 30-50$ ( roughly the cost of a fresh xpack) the price i think, now take 33% of that price tagthats roughly 10$ to 15$ and this is assuming anet is nice and offers them as one bundle. (still potentially cheaper than a single perma gathering tool that will see much more use than a gathering tool.)Again, why should that be different than build templates? Because i still think the only difference is that one is important for you and one isn't.

IF you dont agree that you wouldn't pay x amount of $ for new elites thats your choice and you have a right to feel that way but i do realize even through anets makes bad mistakes or choices from time to time they are still living people who need to pay bills and provide for their families like we do. The servers dont stay up for free and we dont pay a sub fee.

Why not pay 500 USD for the espec pack (or 60 USD per espec if bought separately), then? Your argument would absolutely support that kind of pricing. Or perhaps your concern about Anet devs ends where your money gets involved?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Udolpho.1209 said:

1. Would you be willing to pay outright for an e-spec?
  2. Would you be concerned that it could introduce a genuine P2W element to the game if the new e-spec starts off a bit OP?
  3. Would it make a difference to you whether they were sold one by one, or in a pack of all nine?
  4. Would it make a difference if some professions received new ones before others?
  5. How many gems would you pay for one e-spec? How many for a full set?
  1. Sure: I would pay for an expansion, which includes elite specs. ...If they said there would be no more expansions, but they'd sell elite specs alone, I'd have to consider whether it's worth staying with the game. Expansions offer so much content that the price for just elite specs would have to be pretty low. So I'd question why they'd even do it.
  2. Comes with expansion: No. Doesn't come with expansion:
    Yes
  3. Should come with a pack of all classes (with the expansion). Selling separately, one by one, just adds insult to insult.
  4. Yes. This would always be bad.
  5. 100 gems - 1 e-spec, 800 gems - full set ...would expect this to go on sale for less at the start and during anniversary sales.

It would be better for them to sell an expansion, since I'd likely be willing to buy the most overpriced version that comes with discounted gems and various junk.

I think most of us that would like new e-specs would prefer an expansion since that is what would be expected to be included. Since they said no for now we are releasing expansion content via LW then that leaves us with, what about the new e-specs? Now again first preference is expansion, if that is not to be then second option is some way to get new e-spec. Since e-specs are a core part of an expansion could see them doing this via a separate purchase.

Now if its thru the gemstore than that means people could use ingame currency, which is why I think it would be more in the form of an account upgrade that would be unlocked against your account and probably be for cash. Now if they did it that way they could offer all 9 as pack for one price else ala'cart at a higher price per. That would meet both people that play all characters and people that only play a few classes options. So if expansions are normally 60, what percentage of that is e-specs? If you think 60% then 9 e-specs for 36, else single ones for 6-8 each. If they sold these thru gem store then I would expect it to cost more since they would have to account for the people that would farm gold for them versus the people that would outright buy.

In an ideal world, we would have gotten an ingame earnable set of e-specs between HoT & PoF that were collections/quest chains to unlock that might be completed by PvE, sPvP and WvW means.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"ZDragon.3046" said:This is a True statement how ever an elite spec has more impact than the things you are comparing to it.For you. That's highly subjective, thoughhmmm no thats fact i even gave you an exampleYou can even go back and look at the way anet introduced the x packs and elitesElite specs always take up a healthy amount of the ad space as a the new features.Elites specs are heavily weighted in this game its not subjective its fact.

While you dont need them to play the game they make a vast difference in every game mode and in all content from open world, to raids, to pvp, to wvw, fractals, etc.Elite profession specs are a dominate force feature of the game now.

You have to remember there are people who bought HoT and PoF specifically for the elites, there are people who do not care about pve story and there are pvp and wvw mains who use the elites and bought the x packs specifically for the elites. Elites have always been a major selling point as 33% of the overall package.I am 100% sure that if build templates were an expansion feature, there would be people buying that expac for them alone as well. I know i would.

This is interesting because you wont pay for extra slots but you will pay for passage through pay wall to give you access to a feature that anet basically going to give out for free in less than a month? Do you see how silly this sounds?

How dare you add a feature i really want for free but charge me extra for if i want more than the base allowed slotsBut im willing to pay new x pack price for that feature (which would be implemented the same way more than likely which still requires the purchase of additional slots)lol wiat.. I let you get me off topic again ok seriously im not answering anything else that refers to build templates here this is getting ridiculous.

So lets take 30-50$ ( roughly the cost of a fresh xpack) the price i think, now take 33% of that price tagthats roughly 10$ to 15$ and this is assuming anet is nice and offers them as one bundle. (still potentially cheaper than a single perma gathering tool that will see much more use than a gathering tool.)Again, why should that be different than build templates? Because i still think the only difference is that one is important
for you
and one isn't.Off topicIF you dont agree that you wouldn't pay x amount of $ for new elites thats your choice and you have a right to feel that way but i do realize even through anets makes bad mistakes or choices from time to time they are still living people who need to pay bills and provide for their families like we do. The servers dont stay up for free and we dont pay a sub fee.

Why not pay 500 USD for the espec pack (or 60 USD per espec if bought separately), then? Your argument would absolutely support that kind of pricing. Or perhaps your concern about Anet devs ends where
your
money gets involved?

Uhhhh what??? Are you cherry picking nonsense at this point? I never said such numbers.

Secondly if anet does something in the game i like they get rewarded with my money for it if i feel the price is worth having said item or feature i will buy gems for said item or feature.If they dont do it to my liking then they dont get my money its short sweet and simple. (charr chair as prime example, not charging my account gems for that if a charr cant fit in it properly.)

You may give feed back on why they did or did not deserve your money and what they could possibly do to salvage the sale or help please you but anet looks at the majority and if the majority sees no issue or it works for the majority then guess what... its probably not going to change.

You may be upset that they are charging you for extra slots if you wish (you dont have to pay, maybe anet will run a sale on them for the first few weeks)You may not be upset about the idea of being charged for the base feature, as thats not true. If a feature comes to the game for free but has limitations which many features do and you want the most bang for you buck, then you need to put in some buck before you get the bang.

Lets not confused being disappointed by the devs choices and being under appreciative of the devs work in general as the are not the same thing.Pay for extra for what you need.... or dontChange your build manually by holding gear in your inventory... or dontUse alt characters.... or dontMinimize the number of builds you actually need a template for... or dontYou have optionsYou are getting the base feature regardless for free.

Seriously if you reply and start going off topic from "Would you pay for elite specs?" about build templates I'm not replying to you again. Im tired about hearing about it.

@ZDragon.3046 said:This is interesting because you wont pay for extra slots but you will pay for passage through pay wall to give you access to a feature that anet basically going to give out for free in less than a month? Do you see how silly this sounds?Oh, i of course would expect that feature, when contained in an expac, to be full and complete. Just as you expected the elite spec to be full and complete, not something that would later need additional gem payments to unlock skills and traits.

How dare you add a feature i really want for free but charge me extra for if i want more than the base allowed slotsBut im willing to pay new x pack price for that feature (which would be implemented the same way more than likely which still requires the purchase of additional slots)lol wiat.. I let you get me off topic again ok seriously im not answering anything else that refers to build templates here this is getting ridiculous.

So lets take 30-50$ ( roughly the cost of a fresh xpack) the price i think, now take 33% of that price tagthats roughly 10$ to 15$ and this is assuming anet is nice and offers them as one bundle. (still potentially cheaper than a single perma gathering tool that will see much more use than a gathering tool.)Again, why should that be different than build templates? Because i still think the only difference is that one is important
for you
and one isn't.Off topicIF you dont agree that you wouldn't pay x amount of $ for new elites thats your choice and you have a right to feel that way but i do realize even through anets makes bad mistakes or choices from time to time they are still living people who need to pay bills and provide for their families like we do. The servers dont stay up for free and we dont pay a sub fee.

Why not pay 500 USD for the espec pack (or 60 USD per espec if bought separately), then? Your argument would absolutely support that kind of pricing. Or perhaps your concern about Anet devs ends where
your
money gets involved?

Uhhhh what??? Are you cherry picking nonsense at this point? I never said such numbers.You did say to me that i shouldn't complain about similar amount for templates, but should shut up and start farming. Why that amount of money is okay for me to pay, and me not willing to pay it is me not caring about poor devs, but you get shocked when i propose it for something you want? Do you not care about those very same poor devs?

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"ZDragon.3046" said:This is interesting because you wont pay for extra slots but you will pay for passage through pay wall to give you access to a feature that anet basically going to give out for free in less than a month? Do you see how silly this sounds?Oh, i of course would expect that feature, when contained in an expac, to be full and complete. Just as you expected the elite spec to be full and complete, not something that would later need additional gem payments to unlock skills and traits.

i still think you are missguided in your thoughtselite specs are full and complete but if you dont have a certain base profession character made and have no extra character slots, you cant use that new elite, anet knows this and gives you a free character slot with the xpack in the event you need it to make that one profession you dont have just for an elite spec you might want.if you want to modify that character with unique features like new faces, hair styles, eye colors, etc you need to pay extra ;)If you want a specific unique skin that you cannot normally get through the core game or living world you need to pay extra ;)

This new feature will also be complete it will be a fully working system in which you will be given slots set amount of slots for freeIf you want additional slots you need to pay extra ;)

Same, difference ^

for you

your
money gets involved?

Uhhhh what??? Are you cherry picking nonsense at this point? I never said such numbers.You did say to me that i shouldn't complain about similar amount for templates,i told you you shouldnt complain when something is being given to you for free thats correct.but should shut up and start farming.No i did not say to "shut up" and start farming thats incorrect.Why that amount of money is okay for me to pay,I think you should pay whatever you think is the correct amount you want to pay but if anets price is higher simply dont pay it.and me not willing to pay it is me not caring about poor devs,Incorrect, i simply wanted to make sure you are not confusing disappointment with under appreciationbut you get shocked when i propose it for something you want?Because what you proposed is ideally paying money up front to get the same thing with the possibility of still having to pay for extra after the fact vs getting it for free and pay for extra.Do you not care about those very same poor devs?I already addressed my feelings on this twice

O dear. The reason i wouldn't want a purchasable espec is that it incentivizes nerfing current especs to force people to buy new ones. Thinking about all the nerfs landing lately, that makes me feel uneasy. And without it being attached to an expansion, that pressure to imbalance them is WAY higher, as playing the new story doesn't have a price tag, so people may not want to naturally just buy it off the bat. I want the build systems to feel varied and colorful. New required fotm op especs get in the way of this.

In principle i'm not against this. But i know business well enough to know better. This, not build templates is 100x more likely to get me to quit.