Sword changes are pretty awesome!

Swagger.1459

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's a nerf lol for pvp it is at leastonly 1 on demand evade, and it has animation before and cd to 15 secs

the only time you'd hit with hornet sting is if you use it as first skill to disengage, like it used to benow it's either 2-3 or 3-2, with another on demand evade but neither cases will benefit from recharge on hitonly if you leap away, getting chased and magically hit hornet sting I guess

After playing around with the changes in PvP. I'm actually enjoying it.

I really thought I wouldn't like the sword and greatsword changes.

Sword I think is objectively weaker, however it's tons of fun, in both PvP and PVE. Dagger changes are nice, although pretty minor.

For the greatsword, I'm obviously missing the evade on skill 1 and throw on skill 4, but skill 4 being a true block is amazing and skill 1 sucks... But overall, it's not too bad.

I can also see why it was changed. So I propose they cut the cast speed and animation of the greatsword chain. Especially the third strike. Maybe the last hit should take 0.5 seconds.

Anyway, after I got over my initial frustration, I started having fun with the new sword and block with gs4.

Playing a strange trapper, gs/SW+d soulbeast build.

@Ashkew.6584 said:

@"HeadCrowned.6834" said:Its a nerf because now you only have 1 evade right away instead of 2, and it even has a shorter evade frame as well. You also have less mobility. Its only better when you ''combo'' 2-3-2 when 3 hits, but the designer clearly didnt understand that the previous sword 2 skill was meant to get away and not used to really hit someone. For pvp purposes this is a bad patch, and I dont understand why they did it since I dont think anyone complained about sword.

yea randomly reworked something, kinda like how they randomly made all "shout" skills "command" skills without any reason

I actually get low key physically ill thinking about this change. The only redeeming factor is it forced me to find something better. Nevertheless, until this change warrants a reason besides "flavor" I'm gonna still be upset.

GS 4 is ok.

We need crippling throw back if we press it again and no block is triggered imo. Or if we double tap the skill or something.

GS1 is brutally missed.

I'm still not sure about sword. I like the raised skill ceiling with leap being ready available, as well as it's better roaming ability, but i worry about its lack of on demand evades for when on point.

I’m loving the GS4 change overall, the GS1 change was unfortunately as horrible as I thought it’d be. The weapons definitely still useable but you’ll need to swap up pet(s) or utility skills to chase with GS now.

I’m loving the sword changes though, I feel like it flows a lot better, and you definitely have more overall evade time even if it’s less on demand.

I’m definitely gonna have to play a lot more with 1h sword though, my muscle memory has been betraying me thus far lol.

Pve the professions could be equipped with sticks, if they do good damage nobody will ever say that that weapon is bad.

I don't understand how it can be called good for pvp.Hornet sting had an 8 second CD now it has a 15 second CDSerpent's Strike now has too low a usage time, but now it will be easy to expect rangers to use the ability before it goes on CD after the jump.I do not understand exactly what is positive in these changes, the sword loses mobility, sees its cd aumetati and loses an escape .. I would like to see some videos because I really hate these changes and I would like to change my mind

The sword changes are AWESOME......at getting me killed. I have at this point played several hours with the new patch and have come to several conclusions. One such conclusion is that Serpent's Strike is useless. Jumping into an NPC with Monarch's Leap is one thing, jumping into reals is another. I have been actively diving into melee with blindless, evadeless, stunless, dazeless Monarch's Leap. I don't really know why. I know how to play better than this. Perhaps I subconsciously miss using Serpent's Strike so much that I have begun playing like an idiot. When I think back to the old sword, I came to realize I never used Monarch's offensively other than to chase down a low health target or if the target is already downed (despite the fact that Monarch's Leap is the highest damage sword skill). When I use Monarch's Leap the old way, I quickly realize the timer ticking away on the now obsolete Serpent's Strike and when used as an isolated skill how little the 600 units is to disengage.

Hornet Sting is even worse with the eternity between uses for the only instant access sword evade on a 15 second timer. It's just brilliant trying to disengage a warrior with gap closers that have greater units range than my now divorced sword skills. It used to be nice to hit that Serpent's Strike right when the Warrior went for a Shield Bash...so satisfying. Hmm, wonder if I can do that if I timed it right with Hornet Sting...and that's a big NO..NO...NOOOO. The stab comes before the evade, so you're stunned Mr. Stunny Stunnerson. Then I realized I should have just countered his shield with my Monarch's Faceplant instead so that I can evade while I'm stunned. Well at this point the battle turns in my favor as I hit him with a Throw Dirt, followed by the coup de gras Thunderclap. He won't be so cocky after he gets that blue item from my corpse.

I'm so glad they buffed our melee weapons and gave us extra evades on these weapons to accompany our increased armor/toughness and god-like hand to hand combat play-style. Poor Warriors sticking it out in melee with Rangers. If only their Arcing Slice or Eviscerate did as much damage my Slash. It's good that they have access to heavy armor, Spellbreaker's Full Counter, pulsing stability, Rampage's damage mitigation, and a couple invulnerables, against the mighty medium armored Ranger. With such huge increases to damage and survivability in melee, it's only fair they nerfed our longest range attack weapon that is synonymous with our profession. It's good that they went straight to the root of the problem as well, hitting its base damage rather than tweaking the added bonus damage multipliers.

I digress, awesome sword changes. It never needed any damage increases or damage mitigation, what it needed was new images that flash for a split second for Crippling Thrust and Precision Swipe. In the seven years I've been playing Ranger and Ranger sword, I can't help but think of the 10 minutes I wasted on mastering the about face sword leap combo. It's so much better now that I don't travel as far. It was hard tracking my character as he moved significant distances away from the things that hit me. If I get nostalgic though I can still make that happen by using not 1(skill 2) but 2(skill 2 & 3 WOOT :+1: ) weapon skills, and every one knows 2 is better than 1. Now that I think about it, it is a bit OP so I can understand the extra 7 seconds on Hornet Sting and the attack connection required by hitting the Warrior's tether-traited Full Counter in order refresh Monarch's Leap. Preemptive gameplay was always overrated.

Since everyone was complaining how powerful and overused the sword was in PvP and WvW, I'm glad they still found a way to make it FLOW better and to kill grawl easier for new players in core Tyria. Super-Duper

@Dragonzhunter.8506 said:

@"HeadCrowned.6834" said:Its a nerf because now you only have 1 evade right away instead of 2, and it even has a shorter evade frame as well. You also have less mobility. Its only better when you ''combo'' 2-3-2 when 3 hits, but the designer clearly didnt understand that the previous sword 2 skill was meant to get away and not used to really hit someone. For pvp purposes this is a bad patch, and I dont understand why they did it since I dont think anyone complained about sword.

hornet sting still works the exact same way it always did and you can spam the leap every 8s (or less on HS hit) to bounce around

They also swapped the cooldowns so serpent's strike (the good evade) is every 8'ish seconds

The only thing it needs is a bigger window for SS to be used instead of the 3s we have now

we all have to relearn the weapon but I suspect this will be a massive buff for people who want to kill and the people who want to dance with the weapon

It's such a buff that I'm almost willing to forgive the LB and GS nerfs because not only is 1h just flat better now, it's so dramatically changed that we have a whole new toy to play with. That's the kind of thing you don't really get outside of an Espec release

I don't see how can you forgive them for nerfing LB and GS when Sword is basically the same. Only the dance is different, but the song is the same. You still can't do much damage with the sword, the dagger is almost useless too. So we lost 2 main sources of damage, for 2 pc of dancing ... that's it. I tested these weapons in sPVP. I don't want even to imagine how it will be in WvW.In sPVP Sword+Warhorn/Axe+Axe boon beast is ok ... but cmon ... this was the reason? Anet want boon beast to be the only build in sPVP?

"almost willing"

GS and LB nerfs are garbage but I can just not think about it too much if some other aspect of the class is more fun to use

It's all we can do. Anet's not gonna go and unerf LB. They gave everyone the ability to dismount other players in the same update they nerfed the LB because Ranger's were dismounting players.

None of this makes any sense and is just clown world balancing at this point

Srry for my english .Before this update we had the autonomy to choose when to use the dodge of the skill 3 of the sword, Serpent's Strike today it is 100% zero control since it is necessary to premeditate the use of this one and in the more you have to burn a cd Monarch's Leap to activate for 5 sec the eventuality of its use, except Monarch's Leap does not have any sense to be used to the melee, before this maj Hornet Sting and Monarch's Leap constituted a chain perfectly balanced with an excellent tempo, while keeping the use Serpent's Strike when we needed it. The Ranger's sword loses ergonomics in tempo and evasion.I do not remember anyone complaining about its use.Why arenanet is focused on this weapon, while the druid and his staff or the short bow, the torch and even today the dagger left and right hand needs arena to work there.My theory is that arenanet and its team pvp / equilibre advance blindly and focuses there is no need, suddenly and as usual lose time.Feat anyway read that the argument main to this change is and this is not the first time that this argument is put forward simplification, as if we had seen or find a difficulty in its use, it is really overhead.

@Levetty.1279 said:

@Revolution.5409 said:Pve the professions could be equipped with sticks, if they do good damage nobody will ever say that that weapon is bad.Ranger is pretty good in PvE and has decent dps benchmarks for both power and condi.The whole class is kitten horridly designed and so are its weapons.

Now what?

Making unnecessary changes is certainly not the way to fix rangers.No one here has ever complained about ranger weapons, people have always asked for a reworking of the ranger mechanic to have a damage that didn't depend on sickem or dead domestic animals .. and as usual anet does anything else. xD

Sword change feels even worse than GS change to me. The loss of on demand evade hurts duels a lot more than expected. You're forced to use leap in so you can use Serpent's, but you wont even use it at the opportune moment cause it's so clunky now and gated behind the leap. And then you need to hit new Hornet's so you can even attempt to disengage. GS lost it's utility but at least the dmg is somewhat there. On sword you don't even have dmg nor disengage now. Bummer.I'd really like some of the more known rangers to come up with some new build, cause I don't feel any of the existing ones are even 3/5 rating now.

@Revolution.5409 said:

@Revolution.5409 said:Pve the professions could be equipped with sticks, if they do good damage nobody will ever say that that weapon is bad.Ranger is pretty good in PvE and has decent dps benchmarks for both power and condi.The whole class is kitten horridly designed and so are its weapons.

Now what?

Making unnecessary changes is certainly not the way to fix rangers.No one here has ever complained about ranger weapons, people have always asked for a reworking of the ranger mechanic to have a damage that didn't depend on sickem or dead domestic animals .. and as usual anet does anything else. xD

Would you please browse my post history and see that there are ppl who complained about ranger weapons for years.The change to sword on ranger is the best weapon change that ever happened to me tbh. And dagger OH changes were atleast decent to make them usable.

@InsaneQR.7412 said:

Now what?

Would you please browse my post history and see that there are ppl who complained about ranger weapons for years.The change to sword on ranger is the best weapon change that ever happened to me tbh. And dagger OH changes were atleast decent to make them usable.

For the dagger I agree that it needed modifications, I would have also added some modifications to the OH ax.I remember that the only problem that had sword was the automatic attack chain that was changed because it was not controllable.If people want all the weapons to be reduced to pressing 1-2-3-4 to do damage Anet surely is making the right changes, but to say that the sword was not right and that the modifications were necessary is wrong, I who am a pvp / wvw player I never had any problems with ranger weapons, I always thought they were among the best.

These are my impressions after trying them and I think they are a nerff, I would like to understand what are the advantages we get from these changes and how to play them to get the maximum results.

Just switched to my ranger and learned of these changes in the hard way. The new leap and dodge mechanics are HORRIBLE, because what used to be a nice extra dodge now leaps you back into the fight (you were possibly trying to get away from), even worse that same dodge should be readily available instead of requiring a pre-cast.

I play ranger almost exclusively in WvW and i use 1H sword pretty often, these changes hurt my playstyle quite a lot, to the point where I might as well not use the character anymore.

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@HeadCrowned.6834 said:Its a nerf because now you only have 1 evade right away instead of 2, and it even has a shorter evade frame as well. You also have less mobility. Its only better when you ''combo'' 2-3-2 when 3 hits, but the designer clearly didnt understand that the previous sword 2 skill was meant to get away and not used to really hit someone. For pvp purposes this is a bad patch, and I dont understand why they did it since I dont think anyone complained about sword.

The combo it's 3- rotate camera -2 - to get away and 2-3-2 to stick to target, I find the new design quite ingenious

the combo 2-4-2-3-2-2 is way better for evade

It took me a while to burn the new mechanic into memory, but now that I've gotten used to it I'm actually quite enjoying it. My older evade+prot sbeast build is getting a bit of use atm. For me the damage is secondary to the utility so it didn't bother me much. I do feel that maybe hornet sting could maybe animated a little faster so the action would be slightly similar to deaths retreat. I'm not sure if it's just my lag but my character just sits there for a while before it wants to even start winding up the animation for it before it does the backwards evade.

@DemonSeed.3528 said:It took me a while to burn the new mechanic into memory, but now that I've gotten used to it I'm actually quite enjoying it. My older evade+prot sbeast build is getting a bit of use atm. For me the damage is secondary to the utility so it didn't bother me much. I do feel that maybe hornet sting could maybe animated a little faster so the action would be slightly similar to deaths retreat. I'm not sure if it's just my lag but my character just sits there for a while before it wants to even start winding up the animation for it before it does the backwards evade.

Hornet sting has an old animation that needs speeding up that's right.It does not even evade from the start.But this issue was always there since 2012.

Overall I am happy about the sword changes.

@InsaneQR.7412 said:

@DemonSeed.3528 said:It took me a while to burn the new mechanic into memory, but now that I've gotten used to it I'm actually quite enjoying it. My older evade+prot sbeast build is getting a bit of use atm. For me the damage is secondary to the utility so it didn't bother me much. I do feel that maybe hornet sting could maybe animated a little faster so the action would be slightly similar to deaths retreat. I'm not sure if it's just my lag but my character just sits there for a while before it wants to even start winding up the animation for it before it does the backwards evade.

Hornet sting has an old animation that needs speeding up that's right.It does not even evade from the start.But this issue was always there since 2012.

Overall I am happy about the sword changes.

Yup ?

@Sandzibar.5134 said:Hornet sting takes HOOOUUUURRSS to cast - makes it almost worthless as an evade.

+1 for animation speed reduction on the stab to leap transition.

They should somehow make this Hornet's sting buff - either full animation evade, make it hit all enemies along the way( 3 target cap), or some range improvement. I would actually think that the loss of on-demand evade( Serpent's now gated behind leap) would be reasonable then. Atm SW3 is highly situational, has long cd for such a skill and not fluid at all.