Why we don't have emote for kiss or hug?

Ezzi.3670

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@CutesySylveon.8290 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:No thanks. This would be one of the last things I want to see in game. If implemented, then people would again start calling for a marriage system with boons or perks which, IMO, wouldn't benefit the game.

How did you go from someone asking for an emote, to people wanting a marriage system with boons and perks? The game can use more emotes, so I’m all for it.

The slippery slope of reality.Very slippery, that slope.

On another note, i think only humans and Norn would blow kisses, culturally, and sylvari because they copy humans

the issue is size, besides that anet needs to implement a new interaction system into the game they also need to magically make an animation that works for any partner and i don't just mean kissing a norn and an asura but also just a tall or short char of any race are gonna have the same animation, imagine a 2 humans trying to kiss and one just kisses the air and the other kisses their partner's chest armor.

@Endless Soul.5178 said:And what if I don't want my character to be /hugged or /kissed by creeper types?

a convincing hug or kiss emote would require both parties to emote so such an emote would probably require the second player to accept the first player's request. (and i don't mean clicking yes on a text pop up, i mean something as simple as pressing F when close to a player holding his arms open for a hug) so if a creeper is trying to hug/kiss you, you can just ignore their request

@Ashen.2907 said:

@Endless Soul.5178 said:And what if I don't want my character to be /hugged or /kissed by creeper types?

Bingo.

Exactly why, in part at least, we dont have them IMO.

I already wrote, twice, about how to protect against that. The issue here is not this, it's the technical aspects, one of which being mentioned a few posts above: How to make a set of coop emotes work for multiple partners of different sizes.

@DietPepsi.4371 said:

@"Endless Soul.5178" said:And what if I don't want my character to be /hugged or /kissed by creeper types?

Bingo.

Exactly why, in part at least, we dont have them IMO.

I already wrote, twice, about how to protect against that. The issue here is not this, it's the technical aspects, one of which being mentioned a few posts above: How to make a set of coop emotes work for multiple partners of different sizes.

Yes you did. You suggested adding an entirely new system to the game to support an emote. New emotes, as requested, simply are not going to get (IMO) entirely new systems designed, coded, tested, etc. So, the suggestion for the emotes needs to be measured on its own merit, not on, "if we also add a bunch of other stuff to protect against abuse of the suggested item."

@"Ashen.2907" said:Yes you did. You suggested adding an entirely new system to the game to support an emote. New emotes, as requested, simply are not going to get (IMO) entirely new systems designed, coded, tested, etc. So, the suggestion for the emotes needs to be measured on its own merit, not on, "if we also add a bunch of other stuff to protect against abuse of the suggested item."

Suggestion 2 would be a new system. Suggestion 1 is not. An entirely new system would be needed to implement the emotes anyways, so the answer, if judging the emote entirely on only it's own merits would simply be "It's not possible". Which means that either way the limitation is a technical one, not a social one.

Also a reminder that Anet did make an entirely new system for an emote: The Rockout emote. If you watched the Guild Chat the dev that worked on it stated how he went through a lot of headache to make it possible to add the rockout emote, and make it obtainable via tome.

Just throwing it out there that one cooperative emote already exists - /dance done with another person using /dance in a given time window (like 10 secs or something) will have you do synchronised dancing, you don't start dancing til the other person does it.

Animation would ofc be an issue.

As for the idea itself, i feel like it would make a large portion of people uncomfortable due to various connotations associated with them.

@Shaogin.2679 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:No thanks. This would be one of the last things I want to see in game. If implemented, then people would again start calling for a marriage system with boons or perks which, IMO, wouldn't benefit the game.

How did you go from someone asking for an emote, to people wanting a marriage system with boons and perks? The game can use more emotes, so I’m all for it.

I've been around here for a while. I am making a prediction based on observation.

But I have been wrong before. Still, I wouldn't want the proposed suggestion added.

I've been here longer, ignore this guy. More emotes is a good thing!
  1. Assuming gender, how
    not
  2. This is no contest. Your opinion isn't worth more because you "have been here longer."
  3. The suggested emotes are nonsense IMO (
    and I have been here since GW1's release!!!11
    :lol: ). It would only make hanging around in cities even more ridiculous than already existing immersion-breakers like mini skirts, high heels, neon infusions and futuristic/sci-fi designed outfits and weapons do. So, no thanks.

I see no issue with implementing such emotes.....You mean you don't see the huge technical issue of trying to get character models to interact with each other directly as "hugging" and "kissing" would obviously imply?

It would be really time consuming to program an emote that had two independent actors of wildly variable height and dimension interacting with one another. You think hair clips bad? Wait until your charr's horns are goring your asura's face in a romantic embrace.

Best you can probably hope for is an "air hug" emote that the other person can walk into and sort of look like they are touching.

The only outcome I can see from this is more reports for "sexual harasment". :-/ And I'd probably avoid cities even more than I already do.

I mean, FF14 ended up removing the /sleep emote because people where ERPing with it. Lets face it, the only ways humans don't insult each others is if they don't interact, and it feels like MMO's are definitively aiming for that part.

@Danikat.8537 said:We don't have any emotes where your character touches or interacts with another. I suspect it's a programming thing, it's harder to program emotes that affect two characters.

This. ^^^^ We don't have any emotes that require two players and probably don't have any coding for it. Take Destiny 2, in order to have two toons interact in an emote it requires a trigger by player two before the animation can be triggered. Plus they might not want something like this to avoid potential harassment issues. E-stalking is a thing in today's world.