the scrapped spider mount

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish Joko had the spider mount. Would have been damn fitting...

To those who don't get the reasoning for it being scrapped due to phobia while there's other scary things (including spider foes): Basically, those are all optional, a spider mount would always be a spider or very spider-like mount, especially for those without gems.

Agree with it or not, that was the deciding factor. Ability (or lack thereof) to avoid the spider mount.

@Swagger.1459 said:

@"Forty Keks.9620" said:okay so can somebody tell me why the (fully modeled and ready) spider mount was scrapped for being "too scary" yet THIS
is allowed to exist? this is literal nightmare fuel in weapon form.

look at how pretty she was!

Oh man i want one. WoW has a spider mount that cost 2,000,000 gold, and everyone wants it.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/89334/the-scrapped-spider-mount/p1#

I dont get why they scrapped this one, there are spiders all over the game. I mean seriously if its because people have a phobia thats really a laughable excuse in a video game. If you start doing that might as well make the game hello kitty island adventure.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@"Tommo Chocolate.5870" said:I thought the reason the spider mount was scrapped was that arachnophobia is very common - which is not the same as it being too scary. Of course there are already spiders in the game as enemies, but they decided that, for an arachnophobe, controlling a spider would be worse than from fighting one. (This is all from memory though - I don't have a source.)

Personally I find Sikandar comical rather than scary, but perhaps that's just me.

It's probably in this Guild Chat:

Thanks! This transcript is fantastic. Here's the relevant part:

like oh my gosh spider mouths mouths together this is not at all what I would have pictured for a spider Mountain yeah it's a spider mouth you yeah spiders like this over mine okay... please don't ever spider to me the black one particular was quite special special special is a words especially word that could be used to describe this

So I think that clears everything up.

@Tommo Chocolate.5870 said:

@Tommo Chocolate.5870 said:I thought the reason the spider mount was scrapped was that arachnophobia is very common - which is not the same as it being too scary. Of course there are already spiders in the game as enemies, but they decided that, for an arachnophobe, controlling a spider would be worse than from fighting one. (This is all from memory though - I don't have a source.)

Personally I find Sikandar comical rather than scary, but perhaps that's just me.

like oh my gosh spider mouths mouths together this is not at all what I would have pictured for a spider Mountain yeah it's a spider mouth you yeah spiders like this over mine okay... please don't ever spider to me the black one particular was quite special special special is a words especially word that could be used to describe this

That brings up an interesting point: which is scarier... a spider without a mouth or a spider with one? Especially if it's a special special spider?

@Zoltar MacRoth.7146 said:

@Tommo Chocolate.5870 said:I thought the reason the spider mount was scrapped was that arachnophobia is very common - which is not the same as it being too scary. Of course there are already spiders in the game as enemies, but they decided that, for an arachnophobe, controlling a spider would be worse than from fighting one. (This is all from memory though - I don't have a source.)

That brings up an interesting point: which is scarier... a spider without a mouth or a spider with one? Especially if it's a special special spider?

And thus was born...Slender Spider!

@Tiviana.2650 said:

@"Forty Keks.9620" said:okay so can somebody tell me why the (fully modeled and ready) spider mount was scrapped for being "too scary" yet THIS

Oh man i want one. WoW has a spider mount that cost 2,000,000 gold, and everyone wants it.

#

I dont get why they scrapped this one, there are spiders all over the game. I mean seriously if its because people have a phobia thats really a laughable excuse in a video game. If you start doing that might as well make the game hello kitty island adventure.

I would have been first in line for this. Plus, spiders might be scary, but what's a better way to get over it by turning one into your trusted steed?

@Swagger.1459 said:

they basically used the most fear-invoking appereance for the mount.^^tiny body, very long legs and no hair.I would say, a more sturdier version with hair, big eyes would be more acceptable

I imagine the problem being related more with technical issues and arachnophobia was just an excuse. GW2 has a lot of invisible walls or textures without colliders. In many places you can break through textures and see how hollow some areas are. Then comes a question if a spider mount should be able to walk on every type of surface or even on thinner objects like trees, which would require special animations and positioning for all these legs etc.

There would be so many issues with this mount if ANet just allowed it to climb anywhere and limiting it’s climb potential would only make this mount less attractive than the Springer that does pretty much the same job and its potential is not artificially limited by devs.

BTW.They could always pick a salamander or gecko mount if they really felt that spider is too creepy.

@Tiviana.2650 said:

#

Gorgeous! :love: That’s my favorite spider model in GW2 and the mini I use most often! I love the mounts we do have but so sad they scrapped this one. :disappointed: