Appeal of the Russian-speaking community Guild Wars 2

INOY.6945

Take a look at 'Show Only English' checkbox - this option already exists! Everything is ready for possibility to use ANY language in chat, because you always can filter it to 'Only English'. God, you can do it now already, just imagine! So what's your problem, guys, who talk that they don't want to see 'abracadabra' in chat? It's not the real problem, admit it?

@Aeon.4583 said:

Yes if they would add a “show no Cyrillic” it would be a good solution.

=) =) =) =) =) =) you just killed me!'Only English' suppose to be 100% 'no Cyrillic' because there is not even a single Cyrillic symbol in English alphabet ( by code means ).

But doesn’t it mean “only English” so other European languages won’t show?

@yoni.7015 said:But doesn’t it mean “only English” so other European languages won’t show?

Don't know how it will work with Spanish, but.Let me show example.If you go to twitch and type Kappa with latin, and Кappa using one Cyrillic K, there will be no Kappa emote. So, simple meaning here, that this 'Only English' will hide all Cyrillic symbols, even if they are same-looking symbols. Latin K, and Cyrillic K have different 2-bit code. And by extension, 'Only English' will hide Cyrillic К.

Guys, i am sorry if i offend anyone here, but it is well known for me that Cyrillic and Latin sylmbols have mutually exclusive code, whatever it is hex or 2-bit. But there is one thing that bothers me still. It is Gemstore that can decode Cyrillic.

If i am not wrong, in-game Gemstore is managed by CoherentUI_Host.exe, that starts with GW2*.exe ( gw2 is not the only one with that, btw )It seems that CoherentUI_Host.exe has zero problems working with Cyrillic ( in youtbe video, you can see Gemstore accepting Cyrillic ), and since it is already implemented into the game, this process can serve as a host to decode Cyrillic symbols into chats. It is highly possible that full-scale code change is not needed.

@Aeon.4583 said:Guys, i am sorry if i offend anyone here, but it is well known for me that Cyrillic and Latin sylmbols have mutually exclusive code, whatever it is hex or 2-bit. But there is one thing that bothers me still. It is Gemstore that can decode Cyrillic.

If i am not wrong, in-game Gemstore is managed by CoherentUI_Host.exe, that starts with GW2*.exe ( gw2 is not the only one with that, btw )It seems that CoherentUI_Host.exe has zero problems working with Cyrillic ( in youtbe video, you can see Gemstore accepting Cyrillic ), and since it is already implemented into the game, this process can serve as a host to decode Cyrillic symbols into chats. It is highly possible that full-scale code change is not needed.

The gemstore is basicly a browser window open up in game mate, thats why it can show cyrillic.

Hello to all! I've been in the game for 4 years. There are no other games on my computer ... yes, I can be called monogamous in relation to GW2. I love this game ... I am not confused by the lack of localization in Russian, but I would really appreciate it if they add support for the Cyrillic alphabet. This would be very useful for communication with their fellow countrymen. I’ve been running around Tyria for 4 years ... but some content is still not available to me. it's raids ... they communicate in German, Spanish, English ... it's complicated content, mutual understanding is necessary, so it is not available to me. Dear developers, please add Cyrillic support! thank))

@Drevin.5392 said:Hello to all! I've been in the game for 4 years. There are no other games on my computer ... yes, I can be called monogamous in relation to GW2. I love this game ... I am not confused by the lack of localization in Russian, but I would really appreciate it if they add support for the Cyrillic alphabet. This would be very useful for communication with their fellow countrymen. I’ve been running around Tyria for 4 years ... but some content is still not available to me. it's raids ... they communicate in German, Spanish, English ... it's complicated content, mutual understanding is necessary, so it is not available to me. Dear developers, please add Cyrillic support! thank))

Just saying...wouldn't you need several Cyrillic-using people in the Raid group for this to make a difference? And, if the Raid group is mostly Cyrillic-using players, can't you use Discord or something, then?

Because just adding Cyrillic to chat won't help in a Raid group if most are communicating in German, Spanish, English.

And whats stoping you guys that are probabely in a russian guild (if not its still a community out there clearly if you can get 40k signatures for a pettition) , to get 9 other from said russian community fire up a discord/teamspeak/mumble etc server and start raiding?

In raid encounters you dont want to type on the keyboard anyway.

Nothing to stop us. But there are 400+ people in my guild. Every day they ask something in the chat. Every day they talk or just write some kind of jokes to amuse each other. Some people may not be in the voice during the game. All people have different circumstances. I faintly imagine a guild, 100% of the participants of which sit in discord during the game. Let's not lie to each other .....

@noviiparen.8163 said:

And whats stoping you guys that are probabely in a russian guild (if not its still a community out there clearly if you can get 40k signatures for a pettition) , to get 9 other from said russian community fire up a discord/teamspeak/mumble etc server and start raiding?

In raid encounters you dont want to type on the keyboard anyway.

Nothing to stop us. But there are 400+ people in my guild. Every day they ask something in the chat. Every day they talk or just write some kind of jokes to amuse each other. Some people may not be in the voice during the game. All people have different circumstances. I faintly imagine a guild, 100% of the participants of which sit in discord during the game. Let's not lie to each other .....

Well since the game cant handle your languange why not type in a client who can?I mean if its that much of a hassel to understand, the guild seem to have been growing just fine to 400 in what was it 4 years you played?

@"noviiparen.8163" said:I read some comments and I get the feeling that some individuals have privatized the game and consider it their property. They have the right to indicate to whom and in what language to speak. Guild Wars 2 has always been, is and I hope will remain an international game! And this is not a place for a showdown! I appreciate and respect all the players who value and respect me. This is called "mutual respect."

I got the same impression. This is strange. This game does not personally belong to any of the participants in this discussion. We (Russian-speaking players), for the most part, just like the others, bought Vanilla GW2 in due time, then the next two extensions. We bought gems at the store. We, like everyone else, took part in supporting and developing our favorite game. We are NOT poor relatives, who came here to beg for a free bowl of soup:) We are the same players as everyone else. And we have every right to express our proposals and requests. In a respectful, mind you, form.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Wow. Are you posting under two names, then? Drevin and noviiparen?

Because I am absolutely certain I replied to Drevin and not noviiparen. Perhaps, a step back is indicated.

You replied to both of them at one point or another. They talk about different things. Drevin was talking about raids and noviiparen was talking about guild chat and general communication. I guess it is just a misunderstanding on all parts.

I expressed only "MY" point of view. I gave an "EXAMPLE" of how Cyrillic would help me with regard to raid content. I don’t understand why some people distort the essence of my post and mix with others... Raids are not the only thing where I would like to communicate in my native language. Why do I need a discord or a timespeak? Think I do not know what it is and how to use it? and in the end, let's leave the solution to this question (adding Cyrillic) for ANET? I look forward to a positive response from the developers or ... negative.

@Ol Nik.2518 said:

@yoni.7015 said:This is nonsense. To accuse someone here that he uses the rhetoric of H. is awful and wrong! Is this how you deal with different opinions? I am not a native English speaker as well but I learned it in school and use it very often, watch movies in English and so on. I have absolutely no problems to communicate in game in English or to read in the wiki in English. Why can’t you do the same? Believe me, knowing English is important in our time.

You also said this:@yoni.7015 said:If they add Cyrillic that would destroy the Server communities because then part of the servers uses different letters.

Yes, since launch we had only Latin letters on European servers, if they now after more than seven years would add Cyrillic, in my opinion it would not be good for the server community.And community is important in a mmo.

@yoni.7015 said:

@yoni.7015 said:This is nonsense. To accuse someone here that he uses the rhetoric of H. is awful and wrong! Is this how you deal with different opinions? I am not a native English speaker as well but I learned it in school and use it very often, watch movies in English and so on. I have absolutely no problems to communicate in game in English or to read in the wiki in English. Why can’t you do the same? Believe me, knowing English is important in our time.

You also said this:@yoni.7015 said:If they add Cyrillic that would destroy the Server communities because then part of the servers uses different letters.

Yes, since launch we had only Latin letters on European servers, if they now after more than seven years would add Cyrillic, in my opinion it would not be good for the server community.And community is important in a mmo.

You are not quite right here. GW2 chat supports Korean and Traditional Chinese. Please, go to this website and try to copy and paste phrases from different languages to see how they are supported.

I also wonder if you understand how your argument sounds. You use very dangerous rhetoric that has plenty of precedents in history.

@Ol Nik.2518 said:

You are not quite right here. GW2 chat supports Korean and Traditional Chinese. Please, go to
and try to copy and paste phrases from different languages to see how they are supported.

I also wonder if you understand how your argument sounds. You use very dangerous rhetoric that has plenty of precedents in history.

Oh friend, I’m absolutely sure that the community manager is aware of our appeal. It entered the top 10 posts of the week on Reddit. This forum is one of the most popular topics. Also, ArenaNet was approached by a large gaming portal from Russia (to the company's media service). I understand that developers have more important things to do than the introduction of the Cyrillic alphabet. We are adults and understand everything perfectly. But the administration is simply ignoring us. We were not even answered at the level: "Hello! We have received your appeal! We will reply later!" After all, I ask this not for myself personally. I ask on behalf of thousands of people. They closely monitor the appeal, read the forum. In Russia, in general, all the major news sites talked about this.

@noviiparen.8163 said:

You are not quite right here. GW2 chat supports Korean and Traditional Chinese. Please, go to
and try to copy and paste phrases from different languages to see how they are supported.

Oh friend, I’m absolutely sure that the community manager is aware of our appeal. It entered the top 10 posts of the week on Reddit. This forum is one of the most popular topics. Also, ArenaNet was approached by a large gaming portal from Russia (to the company's media service). I understand that developers have more important things to do than the introduction of the Cyrillic alphabet. We are adults and understand everything perfectly. But the administration is simply ignoring us. We were not even answered at the level: "Hello! We have received your appeal! We will reply later!" After all, I ask this not for myself personally. I ask on behalf of thousands of people. They closely monitor the appeal, read the forum. In Russia, in general, all the major news sites talked about this.

It seems that support for Cyrillic might be just a matter of font. Unfortunately, I cannot get my hands on the fonts the game uses to verify this. I tried many different languages in chat and it seems that only right-to-left writing systems (like Arabic) not only not rendered but are not processed correctly. Russian, Bulgarian, Serbian, and alike show correct punctuation and spaces for glyphs that cannot be rendered. It might be worth looking into this to advance your cause.

As for media, I do not think that the Russian press can do much here. ArenaNet is a US company. Maybe if you try to contact the EU or US gaming media you will get better luck. Although I would approach it from the 'full Unicode support and undue burden placed on European players who happened to live in a country with non-Latin based alphabets' point of view. Something like that might get more traction.