Addressing powercreep by splitting boon effectiveness

Zenix.6198

So, I haven't even logged into the game for quite a while now and from what I have seen from the latest balance patch ....nothing really changed.Powercreep (the main reason i lost interest in the game) is still a thorn in everybodies side as far as i can tell.Changes to specific class-traits, skills, mechanics and passives come at a glacial pace and at this rate the powercreep will be addressed in maybe 2025.

Now powercreep doesn't really matter in PvE but negatively affects pretty much everybody in the competitive modes.So instead of trying to balance the game in a way where you tune certain traits/skills to be good in one gamemode while not breaking the other, how about we look at the main reason for powercreep and split their effectiveness according to the gamemode.

This would mean, that "Might" for instance can still be just as good as it is now in PvE, but far less effective in PvP environments, where it is a massive stat-boost only a few specs have access to. Reducing the power/condi gain to 20/20 in PvP only for instance (instead of 30/30) would already address a huge quantity of builds without having to worry about screwing over class viability for other modes by making adjustments to trait functionality.

Might obviously is just one example. Mode-specific changes could be made to a variety of boons. Super high uptimes of: Fury, Vigor (!), Protection and Quickness (!) for example all contribute to the powercreep we currently have and could be adressed in one big swoop instead of fine tuning literally every trait/skill for every possible build.(Quickness obviously is a tricky one, since that could screw with animations and lead to a variety of bugs).

/discuss

Edit:We also now that the tech for this exists. Retaliation for instance already scales differently for PvP and PvE. So do certain conditions (like confusion).

Embrace the power creep, it's here to stay.

Before you all complain and get on your high horses writing paragraph after paragraph about ideals and wanting to address it take a good honest hard look at the last patch and EVERY single rework that has happened since PoF.

Buffs, buffs, buffs. Under-represented? Buff. Causing problems? Nerf around, then nerf directly. Finally what you nerfed isn't used at all? Rework except it's a buff to current creep.

mmm imo its easier to reduce might stacks and damage modifiers across the board, then worry about sustain and condi damage. perfect example is dagger/ rifle de burst; they can still oneshot and seem intended for pve, yet they are still around after all this time. rifle did get nerfed, but can still do +105% damage. pretty damn lol.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:mmm imo its easier to reduce might stacks and damage modifiers across the board, then worry about sustain and condi damage.

I very much disagree.Looking at and balancing every trait and skill that generate might (as one example) would take a massive amount of work and time.At the current release cadence of balance patches this could very well take years.

Obviously non-boon damage modifiers should also be considered. I agree on that part.

25 might is a almost a free extra condi and power amulet.

like +70% to both damage types.

take a tanky spec or a spec meant to be a bruiser 50tank/50 damage and turn it into a tanky assassin.

defending this is the problem.

best of both worlds type thinking.

tank is supposed to be zeroish damage

bruiser is supposed to be 50% damage, 50% tank

assassin is 100% damage, 0% tank

these 25 mights make a bruiser 100% damage, 50 % tank....that's not right. completely unhealthy for the game.