Please stop the update of Guild Wars 2 and develop Guild Wars 3

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Gehenna.3625 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:If GW2 didn’t attract those who still play GW1 then GW3 likely wouldn’t.That's a total assumption that isn't even likely to begin with.

It is a valid assumption as we saw it with GW2. The OP made a claim that those players who were put off with GW2 would suddenly play it once GW3 were announced in order to earn rewards from GW2’s version of HoM.

In fact I think the contrary is true and I'll actually tell you why. When GW2 came out it became clear quite quickly that GW2 was nothing like GW1. It was a completely different game, regardless of whether you like it or not. However, over time we've seen that more and more GW1 elements have made it into the game with PoF being the clearest example of that bringing back old characters like Palawa and Koss for example.

Story wasn’t one of the primary reasons they were put off. A lot of the core game story game from GW1 lore as well.

It also goes without saying that where GW2 does some things better, also GW1 does some things better. A lot can be learned from both experiences and a GW3 could therefore be a much better mix including things from both games really understanding why certain things worked or not.

You can have everything in a game that will appeal to everyone. This is especially true if things conflict with each other.

Now the other train of thought could be that GW3 could again be totally different from both GW1 and GW2. But then all bets are off and there is no telling how people will react to that.

They’ll react the same as they did towards GW2.

So really I find it either a neutral proposition or more likely that GW1 players might have more fun with a GW3 than GW2. I see no reason to argue that it's likely they wouldn't like GW3. And on top of that it also depends on the time setting for it. GW3 doesn't have to come after GW2 time wise either.

The time setting of GW2 had little to no reason why players disliked GW2.

@Rasimir.6239 said:

@"Burnfall.9573" said:until Anet turn the game into a healthy competitive gameYou're joking, right?

GW2 is cooperative down to its roots,
it never was and never will be aimed at being a competitive game
unless they decide to target a whole new audience (in which case they might as well create a whole new game to begin with, as that usually works out much better than throwing out the previous target audience).

i agree with you. You and i both know if Anet want to, they can but they refuse to because quite obviously; their mission all along was to make Gw2 into a cash-grab>.bribery game.

Period!!

Many of us were deceived and some are; obviously not i and many others because the truth was right in our faces. Our best interests were never Anet best interests for us

77c4668798b8dc7e294dea1926dd879f--deceiv

http://www.dumpaday.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/best-quotes-1-2.jpg

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:If GW2 didn’t attract those who still play GW1 then GW3 likely wouldn’t.That's a total assumption that isn't even likely to begin with.

It is a valid assumption as we saw it with GW2. The OP made a claim that those players who were put off with GW2 would suddenly play it once GW3 were announced in order to earn rewards from GW2’s version of HoM.Not really because the idea is to actually use some of GW1's strong points which they never did with GW2. GW2 isn't all bad for sure, but it is completely different from GW1 and I mean completely. All that's left of GW1 in GW2 is essentially some names. PoF brought back a few old characters but that's it. When GW2 was launched though it had nothing to do with GW1 except that lore connection and some names. Gameplay wise GW1 and GW2 have nothing to do with each other.

In fact I think the contrary is true and I'll actually tell you why. When GW2 came out it became clear quite quickly that GW2 was nothing like GW1. It was a completely different game, regardless of whether you like it or not. However, over time we've seen that more and more GW1 elements have made it into the game with PoF being the clearest example of that bringing back old characters like Palawa and Koss for example.

Story wasn’t one of the primary reasons they were put off. A lot of the core game story game from GW1 lore as well.Yes it was. I was one of those people and the vanilla story was the first game I ever played where I turned off the sound during the story bits because it's so terrible.

It also goes without saying that where GW2 does some things better, also GW1 does some things better. A lot can be learned from both experiences and a GW3 could therefore be a much better mix including things from both games really understanding why certain things worked or not.

You can have everything in a game that will appeal to everyone. This is especially true if things conflict with each other.I don't think that you can have everything that will appeal to everyone. I get the feeling that's what you were trying to say, but I'm not advocating that a GW3 would be perfect and please everyone. There's no such thing.

Now the other train of thought could be that GW3 could again be totally different from both GW1 and GW2. But then all bets are off and there is no telling how people will react to that.

They’ll react the same as they did towards GW2.Which is my point but it depends on what GW3 would be like who would like it and who would be upset. I am playing GW2 now but GW1 still is a superior game to me in many ways. It just doesn't get updated anymore. I was actually looking forward to GW2 a great deal but once I started playing it, it really was nothing like GW1 and words like "we've taken everything you love from GW1" ended up being rather hollow.

So really I find it either a neutral proposition or more likely that GW1 players might have more fun with a GW3 than GW2. I see no reason to argue that it's likely they wouldn't like GW3. And on top of that it also depends on the time setting for it. GW3 doesn't have to come after GW2 time wise either.

You say that but you are wrong again. I'm not saying everyone has the exact same reasons but I wasn't happy with the setting and the timing. Part of the changes to the world which made it so dramatically different also have to do with the time span between them. I am sure that a GW game set closer to GW1 would intrigue a lot of the GW1 fans.You seem to have some false ideas about what people didn't like about GW1 when it came out but story and the big changes to the world and not having any of the good stuff from GW1 taken over into GW2 are definitely issues that were brought up. These things did and do matter as well.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@ReaverKane.7598 said:The only thing the OP got right is that
GW2 needs
some want
DX11 support at least.

Fixed it.

"Fixed it"... Ah, bliss...1) Just about every hardware provider has deprecated DX9, which is the ancient, Windows XP API that GW2 uses. Meaning no support, and using minimal legacy api.2) There's a reason for API updates, new hardware has new functionality, and to use that functionality you run more recent APIs.3) GW2 is notoriously inneficient, and wastes resources, meaning a PC that can run current year games at 60+FPS, struggles with GW2.4) Look at the competition. The game i'm playing instead of GW2, Warframe, has a much smaller team, also uses a in-house engine, and just removed DX9 support, using DX11 as default. The performance of the game has only improved.

@"XenoSpyro.1780" GW2 already "sucks on Microsoft's Teet" because it's running DX9. Even if it wasn't, DirectX isn't just Direct3D, it has more stuff in there that the graphics API, so switching to OpenGL, would still need them to work on the other stuff. Not to mention OpenGL usually performs slightly worse than DirectX, so we'd want that, right?

Anyway, as long as they used a more recent API, i wouldn't care if they use Vulkan, OpenGL, DirectX, whatever. It just makes no sense to stay stuck on deprecated tech if they want the game to keep going.

I’m not saying that reworking the engine may or may not bring improvements. I’m just disagreeing with your assumption that GW2 needs it.

But the thing is, it does. The game is incredibly resource consuming for the results it delivers. And they can't really push the game to where it can go, otherwise it kills FPS. Just look at Istan.The game lacks optimization, and a more recent API will help with that. Look at DX9 vs DX11 benchmarks and you'll see that most of the time DX9 has a much higher GPU usage than DX11 for the same task. That also results in slightly higher FPS on simple tasks, but of course that overhead comes at a cost when the games become more resource intensive, which is lower performance.

It's simple, GW2 performs poorly, DX11 helps increase performance, especially on current gen multi-core processors and current gen GPUs, because, when DX9 API was built, the highest core count was 2, and 64 bits was not a thing, not really..

They were forced to move to a 64bit client to stop the game from crashing all the time from memory leaks, which they didn't really fix, just that 64 bits handles more memory.Saying that a game this poorly optimized doesn't need a engine upgrade is like saying fish don't need water. Sure it can survive a while without it, but sooner or later it'll die.

@Gehenna.3625 said:

It is a valid assumption as we saw it with GW2. The OP made a claim that those players who were put off with GW2 would suddenly play it once GW3 were announced in order to earn rewards from GW2’s version of HoM.Not really because the idea is to actually use some of GW1's strong points which they never did with GW2. GW2 isn't all bad for sure, but it is completely different from GW1 and I mean completely. All that's left of GW1 in GW2 is essentially some names. PoF brought back a few old characters but that's it. When GW2 was launched though it had nothing to do with GW1 except that lore connection and some names. Gameplay wise GW1 and GW2 have nothing to do with each other.

Like I’ve said before, Anet trying to appease one group will alienate another.

Story wasn’t one of the primary reasons they were put off. A lot of the core game story game from GW1 lore as well.

Yes it was. I was one of those people and the vanilla story was the first game I ever played where I turned off the sound during the story bits because it's so terrible.

No it wasn’t. The main issue was how different the two were and how some elements that they enjoyed from the first game were not present in the second.

You can have everything in a game that will appeal to everyone. This is especially true if things conflict with each other.I don't think that you can have everything that will appeal to everyone. I get the feeling that's what you were trying to say, but I'm not advocating that a GW3 would be perfect and please everyone. There's no such thing.

This was a typo on my part as I meant “can’t”. If you understand that a GW3 would not appease everyone then why are you arguing with me in the first place?

They’ll react the same as they did towards GW2.Which is my point but it depends on what GW3 would be like who would like it and who would be upset. I am playing GW2 now but GW1 still is a superior game to me in many ways. It just doesn't get updated anymore. I was actually looking forward to GW2 a great deal but once I started playing it, it really was nothing like GW1 and words like "we've taken everything you love from GW1" ended up being rather hollow.

Actually, your point was the opposite.

You say that but you are wrong again. I'm not saying everyone has the exact same reasons but I wasn't happy with the setting and the timing. Part of the changes to the world which made it so dramatically different also have to do with the time span between them. I am sure that a GW game set closer to GW1 would intrigue a lot of the GW1 fans.You seem to have some false ideas about what people didn't like about GW1 when it came out but story and the big changes to the world and not having any of the good stuff from GW1 taken over into GW2 are definitely issues that were brought up. These things did and do matter as well.

You must have not been around when GW2 was announced and launched. The time period was not one of the complaints being vocally communicated. It may have been for you personally but you are not representitive of everyone.

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

@ReaverKane.7598 said:The only thing the OP got right is that
GW2 needs
some want
DX11 support at least.

Fixed it.

"Fixed it"... Ah, bliss...1) Just about every hardware provider has deprecated DX9, which is the ancient, Windows XP API that GW2 uses. Meaning no support, and using minimal legacy api.2) There's a reason for API updates, new hardware has new functionality, and to use that functionality you run more recent APIs.3) GW2 is notoriously inneficient, and wastes resources, meaning a PC that can run current year games at 60+FPS, struggles with GW2.4) Look at the competition. The game i'm playing instead of GW2, Warframe, has a much smaller team, also uses a in-house engine, and just removed DX9 support, using DX11 as default. The performance of the game has only improved.

@"XenoSpyro.1780" GW2 already "sucks on Microsoft's Teet" because it's running DX9. Even if it wasn't, DirectX isn't just Direct3D, it has more stuff in there that the graphics API, so switching to OpenGL, would still need them to work on the other stuff. Not to mention OpenGL usually performs slightly worse than DirectX, so we'd want that, right?

Anyway, as long as they used a more recent API, i wouldn't care if they use Vulkan, OpenGL, DirectX, whatever. It just makes no sense to stay stuck on deprecated tech if they want the game to keep going.

I’m not saying that reworking the engine may or may not bring improvements. I’m just disagreeing with your assumption that GW2 needs it.

But the thing is, it does. The game is incredibly resource consuming for the results it delivers. And they can't really push the game to where it can go, otherwise it kills FPS. Just look at Istan.The game lacks optimization, and a more recent API will help with that. Look at DX9 vs DX11 benchmarks and you'll see that most of the time DX9 has a much higher GPU usage than DX11 for the same task. That also results in slightly higher FPS on simple tasks, but of course that overhead comes at a cost when the games become more resource intensive, which is lower performance.

It's simple, GW2 performs poorly, DX11 helps increase performance, especially on current gen multi-core processors and current gen GPUs, because, when DX9 API was built, the highest core count was 2, and 64 bits was not a thing, not really..

They were forced to move to a 64bit client to stop the game from crashing all the time from memory leaks, which they didn't really fix, just that 64 bits handles more memory.Saying that a game this poorly optimized doesn't need a engine upgrade is like saying fish don't need water. Sure it can survive a while without it, but sooner or later it'll die.

Improving the DX version used will not improve performance to the degree that you expect.

The game performs just fine and the majority of the performance issues with large groups is resolved by ridicule the number of character models on the screen.

There’s a vast difference between what a game needs and what a subset of the player base wants. The game has performed just fine over the past 6.5 years. There’s no indication that it will not continue to do so.

@"Ayrilana.1396" Thank you so much! You are talking true words. I read all these comments here and can only shake my head. Some player are so delusional about things they have no idea about. Sometimes I feel like they play a diffrent game than I do. They complain about stuff I wouldn't even complain about. I don't mean "taste". I talk about "issues" they see in some parts of the game where I absolutly see no issues. I use a "mid-end" computer and absolutly have no performance issues. Sure, in a 50vs50 it gets a bit heavy sometimes. But if you read what some people say, it sounds more like constant 10fps which is absolutly not the case. Also the criticism by some people is sometimes beyond me. Things I LOVE (!!!!) about this game and make me actually enjoy it are turned into "bad game design". Sometimes even some sort of "fake news" come up without any base for that. Rarely it is even untrue!As many other people said before: "There are maybe 10% of the community activly crying all over the internet. This does NOT mean that all player are mad or are moving away. The louder you scream, the more you scream, does not make your voice the majority nor does it mean you are right!".I enjoy this game with my deepest heart. Sure there are things that can be improved (Build templates pleaseeeee <3). But this game is neither "toxic" nor "broken" nor "bad" nor "dead". However: If you reallllly don't enjoy this game then maybe it is very simple: Maybe this game is not for you. Which is fine! Then go and move along.I played 1000 of good games that are not up to my taste. Take "World of Warcraft" for an example. I never liked the game. I never enjoyed it! Was it bad tho? No it was not. It was just not for me.And if you (who ever you are reading this) do not enjoy the game, then move along. THIS DOES NOT MAKE IT A BAD GAME IN ANY WAY!

Also, to the person posting the video by some random guy explaining why he "does not play Guildwars2". This is the opinion of one (1) single person out of 7 billion people on this planet. Even if this is a video posted on youtube, it does not make his opinion more important or more valuable. Using the opinion of someone else for your own opinion is a pretty poor way to build up an opinion. I have to be honest, I do not care if that person plays GW2 or not. And I also do not care about his/her reason because I am not a marketing manager at ArenaNet. I build my own opinion based on my own experience. And my experiences in Gw2 are excellent! I enjoy it, I have a nice guild, I like the content and story and I love the diffrent gamemodes it offers (as I said, there are still ways to improve the game). And I am a player since 2012. Not that my opinion matters more than other opinions. I just want to demonstrate, that there are also people who ENJOY this game.

Thank you!

@"Gehenna.3625" said:Not really because the idea is to actually use some of GW1's strong points which they never did with GW2.The problem in your reasoning is that you're unlikely to find many players agreeing on those strong points. And that's just when taking only gw1 into consideration. Add gw2 to the mix, and the gw3 each single player will dream of would be very different. And as a consequence, once it's revealed, most players would end up being disappointed that their ideas didn't make it into the game.

GW2 isn't all bad for sure, but it is completely different from GW1 and I mean completely. All that's left of GW1 in GW2 is essentially some names.And now you want to make gw3 out of a mix of those games you think have nothing in common? Great idea, i'm sure you'd be satisfied with the result [/sarcasm]

You say that but you are wrong again. I'm not saying everyone has the exact same reasons but I wasn't happy with the setting and the timing.Yes, because everyone had different reasons. And story wasn't one of the major ones. For the most part, gameplay was.

You seem to have some false ideas about what people didn't like about GW1 when it came out but story and the big changes to the world and not having any of the good stuff from GW1 taken over into GW2 are definitely issues that were brought up. These things did and do matter as well.The "good stuff" that wasn't taken from GW1 was different for everyone. Yes, story was one of those things, but not the only one, and not the most common one. And i am saying it even though i do not like a lot of things Anet did with the lore in gw2.

• 6 months later...

I'll post what i wrote in the Guildwars 3 poll...

I'm torn but i have to say no..I've wasted a lot of money on my account over the years losing everything to a new game would suck.. And seeing how Guildwars 2 has become over Guildwars i'd hate to see what a cash juggernaut Guildwars 3 would become..

Yes it would be lovely to have a new great game but how these companies force micro-transactions down our throats these days, i'm of the opinion be careful what you wish for.. I'm just being realistic..

What i would buy is a remastered Guildwars 1 with Guildwars 2 graphics, i don't even need to jump like other people seem obsessed with.

@"SerenNovah.2510" said:I want anything Guild Wars. I love 1 and 2 and would love to play 3!

Hahaha, same! :#

But, I still hope we'll get a Cantha Expansion in GW2.. someday. Even if it would be the final expansion. If they can't incorporate all the cool new developments in the current game and have to build something new, I definitely wouldn't mind moving on to GW3.

For now I'm just not really done enjoying GW2 sighs

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@"huluobo.7036" said:Combine Guild Wars 1 Guild Wars 2 into Guild Wars 3, use time travel to reset the historical scene, let it support dx12, I have some friends who are still playing Guild Wars 1, never playing Guild Wars 2, if there is Guild Wars 3 It is sure to attract more players and introduce these players into Guild Wars 2 for special skins.

Combining a healthy game to a toxic game doesn't result in healthy game. It is like combining salt and sugar together and stating it's results will reap good results.

(Keep the toxic trash root away from the healthy root at all costs Please!!)

Gw2 stay away from Gw1 at all costs~~!!

polluted-river.jpg

Thank You!!

I hope the irony of your post is not lost on you.

It is.

Your own toxin burnt your tongue so much you don't even feel it any more?

GW2 came about when the new content being developed became sufficiently different from what would and could fit in the framework of the first game. They even scrapped an expansion and did the sequel, instead. They are very much invested in going on with the current narrative. If they are planning a GW3 at all, it won't happen any time soon and its development would be justified by offering something different than what GW2, the same way it is different from GW1. And who is to say it wouldn't further away from what you are still hanging on to in the original?

And what do you mean by combining the two, anyway? Time travel? Reset the the "historical scene"? It seems to me that you don't want a sequel. You want GW2 to be erased and GW1 to be updated to current graphics. Yeah, nope.

@MikeG.6389 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:If GW2 didn’t attract those who still play GW1 then GW3 likely wouldn’t.

I vote no for GW3.

Funny cause they were apparently developing it. Remember that other project? yeah well it may have been GW3

Pure speculation.

It makes sense tho, gw2 is getting old and its current engine doesnt do it favours. Anet needs mewer products to stay relevant longterm and a product in an existing ip with a loyal fanbase is the safest bet.

@zealex.9410 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:If GW2 didn’t attract those who still play GW1 then GW3 likely wouldn’t.

I vote no for GW3.

Funny cause they were apparently developing it. Remember that other project? yeah well it may have been GW3

Pure speculation.

It makes sense tho, gw2 is getting old and its current engine doesnt do it favours. Anet needs mewer products to stay relevant longterm and a product in an existing ip with a loyal fanbase is the safest bet.

I'm not one to make insightful comments on the welfare of the game, but from what I see it's alive and well. It is actively developed with a lot of content to come, still. They just rolled the whole current game into one purchase which I believe made it enticing to a whole bunch of new players who in turn get a metric sh*t ton of content. I think we won't see GW3 for a good number of years.