New player. Is it worth it?

Hello everyone!My name is Orsson and I started playing guild wars 2 a week ago. I'm an avid MMORPG player and after playing World of Warcraft for a quite handful amount of my life I decided to quit, because the game has lost its charm for me, and find another game to spend my time in. I've always been hearing about GW2 and I had hidden interest in this title, but my commitment to wow wouldn't let me try it out, so after quitting I've headed straight into this game.My first impressions were fantastic. Almost every mechanic of this game appeals to me one way or another, so I decided that I really want to put a huge amount of time in it, but before I proceed I wanted to ask one question, is it worth starting playing and going full ham on GW2 now, as a "WoW refugee"? How is the state of the game? What is the future of this game? Would you do it in 2019?I know that this kind of topic may seem odd, but I really want to know, because I would like to avoid a situation where I put hundred of hours and bags of money into the game and see it fall after couple of months. I've already purchased both expansions during the 2 for 1 sale having some money to spare, but I've heard that I have to put a little more for Living World stories and for example quality of life items from the gemstore.Thanks for Your answers in advance!Cheers!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't have to put any money into the game for those things mentioned, as the game has a Gold-to-Gems exchange.If you are interested in the Story, why not play the Core Tyria Personal Story, and complete the Core Tyria maps, and then decide how you feel about continuing.

You can also play the current Living World Episode (the Prologue to the new Season/Saga) at no extra cost.

Welcome to Tyria, and good luck.

The state of the game is fine in a general sense, there is plenty of life left and population is decent enough considering the spread of the game.

Competitive is less rosy, but that's down to a combination of factors.

I don't always agree with the direction of it and I'm not playing much right now as I'm a bit burned out, but after 7 years and 10k+ hours that's to be expected and I'd be hard pushed to say I haven't got value for money or that the game hasn't been an enjoyable ride for the most part. (plus a mass release of RPGs on my Switch and a renewed push in Lotro take up my current time)

So yes, in my opinion it's worth it

There is so much to do in this game, if you are coming in 'fresh.' Core Tyria is great, and both expansions (HOT and POF) are also equally as enjoyable.I DO recommend it.

Having said that, and to answer your question, "What is the future of this game?" I can only give my humble opinion; and this is based on YEARS of online MMO's, since release to eventually server maintenance/shutdown mode--bleak. The best years are behind (as with any game of this age)--with very telling signs that there will not be 'worthy expansion-like content' release again.

I disagree that the best years are behind it. The game has still so much unused potential that just waits to be tapped. They wouldn't come up with QoL updates like build templates now if they didn't have plans for the future. Whether those plans will address the aforementioned potential remains to be seen.

As for the fun factor, OP: There certainly is plenty to attract new players, so hop in and try it out! :) The core campaign's technical execution might seem a bit outdated to you, but don't worry, it'll get a lot better after that. Have fun!

Not worth it. Arenanet has become toxic to consumers. First the ascended seed fiasco while trying to sell gardens and changing it so people didn't get what they purchased. Then the misguiding chair advertisement. This is not the same Arenanet. All within a month.

Sorry, but customer service should matter

I have been playing since the release (and GW before that). I just bought PoF a couple months ago and am playing more now than ever. There is still plenty to do, lots of people. I can't see the future, but the present is doing great! (yes, you may get a different view on the forum, but game forums are always like that ha ha).

@Orsson.3208 said:I know that this kind of topic may seem odd, but I really want to know, because I would like to avoid a situation where I put hundred of hours and bags of money into the game and see it fall after couple of months.

Play the game, but wait a bit before you actually spend more money in it. Right now the future is very uncertain - you could spend a lot of money today only to learn tomorrow that the game is going into maintenance mode.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:I donno, try it and see if u like it, I found eso's pve 10× better than gw2 but cuz the combat mechanics if u like pvp gw2 is ok but coulda been great

Funny, eso's combat just felt strange for me once i learned it. Cast animation canceling was weird: things die, don't always see how. Though it's probably been about 2 years since i last touched the game.

@OP: there's lots to do, i like it. I just came back from WoW and am enjoying it now more than ever, but coming back with a little bit if gold already in store helped me with the gold gates on the starter mounts. The main focus is open world pve. The great thing is that there's lots of different areas you can do events in. But there's still plenty outside that too: raids and fractals. WvW is good if you can still pull a big enough group together. sPvP is okay but ranked is just pure poison(i would blame shortcomings in the matchmaker, but that takes too long to explain). I would say sPvP is great if they innovated more to keep it fresh. I've been playing this since 2014-2015 on and off, and to see conquest mode as the only thing and kind of wonky balance STILL is just "meh." Matchmaking in unranked is good enough it can still be fun, it just gets stale.

My recommendation would be to immediately start working on path of fire if you purchased it so you can get mounts, they make the game a lot funner. Also, do dailies, you'll need the gold for the other 3 base mounts after raptor. I just ragged on sPvP but it's usually an easy way to knock out at least 2 objectives of the 3 in 1 match and it's pretty fast, then you can do an easy open world one like mining/logging or gathering. Find a good open world build for your class and build the elite specialization for it from PoF hero points + gather good exotics for it. I say this because HoT areas will suck without a good handle on your class, a good build and the gear to back it up and mounts definitely help with navigation too. If the dailies are toxic/too time consuming then try fractals for gold, there's usually lots of people willing to help out in tier 1 through the lfg tool. There's a vendor in the fractal area that lets you buy more encryption keys and it's usually worth it because of the large amount of valuable vendor junk, and you can always sell exotics you don't need for $$.

Core tyria is fine. The initial story is pretty good once you get far enough, but the game felt like it was missing something for me before mounts were added. Actually if you want to start from the beginning, you can grab just the raptor and then do core tyria and go from there.

@Erasculio.2914 said:

@Orsson.3208 said:I know that this kind of topic may seem odd, but I really want to know, because I would like to avoid a situation where I put hundred of hours and bags of money into the game and see it fall after couple of months.

Play the game, but wait a bit before you actually spend more money in it. Right now the future is very uncertain - you could spend a lot of money today only to learn tomorrow that the game is going into maintenance mode.

^What he said

@Ashantara.8731 said:I disagree that the best years are behind it. The game has still so much unused potential that just waits to be tapped. They wouldn't come up with QoL updates like build templates now if they didn't have plans for the future.The way they monetized that QoL update shows clearly what are those plans for the future.

I have to agree with @Erasculio.2914 here - it's better to wait before commiting to any greater investment. Buying PoF is one thing - i'd say that it's still worth the cost - but i would avoid any gemshop purchases at the moment. And it's not the good moment for getting too attached.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:I disagree that the best years are behind it. The game has still so much unused potential that just waits to be tapped. They wouldn't come up with QoL updates like build templates
now
if they didn't have plans for the future.The way they monetized that QoL update shows clearly
what
are those plans for the future.

I have to agree with @Erasculio.2914 here - it's better to wait before commiting to any greater investment. Buying PoF is one thing - i'd say that it's still worth the cost - but i would avoid any gemshop purchases at the moment. And it's not the good moment for getting too attached.

Agree wholeheartedly with the buying PoF. With HoT along with it, that means you get mounts and gliding, which for ME, are the reasons GW2 is so fun to play. Core Tyria was not interesting enough for me to play/buy it 7 years ago, and it still wouldn't be. Mounts, gliding, the lack of a gear grind, those are all worthwhile. It's a fantastic game to play, leave, come back to, play, leave, or whichever because your gear will still be relevant. There is, for a new player, ALSO plenty to do. I compare the game without PoF as swtor without a subscription. You can still have fun and do things but comparatively, it's just night and day. The advantage to GW2, however, is once bought, the expansions stay bought.

I started gw2 a month after release (2012), quit around 2014-15, then came back 5-6 months ago.

Play more before you spend real money. Your enthusiasm might be because you're playing new game, especially after playing WoW for so long. Let the first gloss wear off.

There was alot to catch up and it took me a couple of months to do so. You as new player should catch up soon enough. After all it's not WoW.

I tried WoW a year ago. Really enjoyed the game but I felt that it was too late to play it now so I quit.

No gear progression. Best gear is ascended/legendary but it's only few % better than exotic (which is easy to get). Exotic is more than enough for all content (fractals exluded ofc).

This is Fashion Wars. (There is even a title called Fashion Collector after unlocking 1000 skins). You chase after shiny skins.

Find a guild(s)! It will help you greatly.

Set goals to achieve.e.g reaching fractal 100, starting raids, do all dungeons, wvw, pvp, chase titles etc etc.I find that if you dont set goals to yourself in gw2, you will drop the game faster than cartoon coyote falling off a cliff.

Answers, whether you should invest your time and/or money into the game or not, were given. If you should continue, I just want to remark something quite important, if you care about chronological order of story: Season 2 and 3 of Living World contains story content which is chronologically located between Personal Story (base game) and Heart of Thorns. Season 4 comes after Heart of Thorns and before Path of Fire.You do not need those seasons to play the expansions, there are mutually independent, however you if you omit them, you kinda skip story.

Since the second expansion released path of fire.. it is the best MMO out there until now i 100% welcome new adventurers to the world of tyria, it is big it is massive story telling is good, community is the nicest among all MMO no toxic goblins,, .. if you are want to try the game try as free account i suggest there is alot to do as free to play i were free to play myself for 2 years , i do pvp wvw map completion i also make legendary as free to play player then i buy the path of fire expansion. yes the is alot to do in the game you should try first before buying good luck

Of course it is worth it. Gem store purchases largely might not be, but the core game , expansions, and the living story packs are.

• Living World Season 2 Complete Pack (Dry Top, Silverwastes) = 1280 gem base price
  • Living World Season 3 Complete Pack (Bloodstone Fen , Ember Bay, Bitterfrost frontier, Lake Doric ... to a lesser extent Draconis Mons & Siren's Landing) = 960 gem base price
  • Living World Season 4 Complete Pack (Istan , Sandswept Isles, Kourna, Jahai Bluffs, Thunderhead Peaks) = 960 gem base price