Ouch. Instant 7k burn ticks

Baldrick.8967

was getting hit for 5-7k burn ticks from range tonight (didn't have time to count the stacks), if it got covered by other condis then down I went before I could cleanse enough of them.

Couldn't tell which class was applying it (it's not an ele skill or a mortar hit) but boy that hurts!

Another fine example of the wonderful work the balance team is doing....

And before you ask i'm a 20k hp tanky tempest ele atm.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah i think so too, but looks like the recent 'balance' patch has made a certain build very OP to get getting those sort of numbers .

It's when they are 'hidden' by a number of other players or a scourge etc that it's a real pain duillyn, or when playing a few against a few, as they can down a player really fast. One vs one it's not an issue for me but combined with covering condis it's a real wrecker in small scale.

I would hope that the balance team realises and looks at it sooner rather than later but I expect it will get adjusted in 6-12 months at the earliest! 3-4k ticks I can cope with (even those are way too much really from a balance point of view) but when it hits 6-7k HP becomes an issue real fast:-)

Have always wondered why Guardian is constantly slipping by unnoticed. Probably because as I'd said previously; people don't like having their power taken away from them, that's why Necro is often the target for the most complaints. Receiving power however... Might be why Guard is allowed to be so diverse with core, Dragonhunter and Firebrand, able to provide significant support, withstand a lot of punishment, deal incredible damage and frequently avoid nerfs. All specs are powerful with core and Firebrand represented in high tier PvP and various areas in WvW, Dragonhunter to a lesser extent but still not to be ignored.

I'm not suggesting Guardian and all of it's specs are "secretly" overpowered. I am however pointing out that because each of it's specs are relevant and powerful enough to compete with others without relying on gimmicks, it might be time to start dialing some things back a bit. I feel like people want to give Guardian a free pass because in groups it keeps them alive. That's entirely a matter of perspective however, I don't actually know why it isn't complained about more.

Anyway, yes I've noticed the massive Burn stacks as well. I agree that particularly in 1v1's or on a large scale with lots of cleanses the Burns aren't as much of a threat. But I don't see why they're allowed to almost instantly stack enough of them to burst your health down, seemingly just because they lack cover conditions? If ANet wants Guardians to have more condition build options, that's fine. Stacking everything on an entire condition though, probably not a great idea. Would much rather Firebrand's support gets slapped around a few times first though. I can live with meme-y Burn builds but Firebrands need to start getting the same treatment as Scourges.

it'll be burnbrand... I can do 20k aoe if under the right circumstances.

it all comes down to virtues trait line... every 3 procs is an aoe burn, combine that with f1 skill 5 and an aoe skill like skill 4 in f1 and you got yourself a barbeque.spam burn mantra for bonus points and add more aoe.

Video or I dont buy it.

When roaming there is no class that can suddenly dump burns at such range you cant even see what does it, heavy hitting attacks are over a long period (10-15s) and doesnt come anywhere near 5-7K instant ticks. Ranged burn guards have some pretty obvious hints they are there... like the huge swinging swords... and roaming burn guard that can quickly reach roflstomp burns are melee.

It's most likely burn core guard or firebrand equivalent for that matter. I've been for the past couple months occasionally hopping on it just to troll zergs that set up catas/rams that clunk together mindlessly. It's surprising getting a bunch of downs and 70% cata health left in one burst. Rinse and repeat. It's pretty situational; against pugs it wrecks but against organised zerg/guild groups you're basically useless.

While I don't know what kind of buff zeal is supposed to have got with this patch (rather there's been a nerf to burst potential with Eternal Armory) which helps builds like this, people need to get in several hits to cause 5-7k burning. It usually happens if people allow freecasting into their zergs. But in cases like that about anything will kill such players, be it meteor storms, phase smashes etc etc. With all the 1/2-shot power damage stuff going on some condi is not excessive since it requires people not paying any attention and not caring about cleansing enough.

I have been picking up burn guard over hammer rev slowly over the past month.

Its my small way of saying

! "I guess CoR wasn't so bad after all was it..."

I mean, I can do 8k CoR on 1-3 people periodically or I can do 5k+ burn tics plus modest damage on 3-5 people every second with some minor splash. And at least with burn guard people can't be like "no defense against it !" when I can just say, "but, perma resistance = no damage taken ! ". Yup, can only die to a burn guard while zerging if your zerg is worse or the enemy scourges are actually doing their job stripping boons. Can't blame the burn guard.

If a zerg has a few dedicated cleansers this is not an issue anyway. Throw in some scrappers, tempests, even spellbreakers (there's awesome cleansing now!) and all is good. Stand around like muppets while people stand on top of structures AoEing into you? Not nice things will happen to you.

@Zephyra.4709 said:It's most likely burn core guard or firebrand equivalent for that matter. I've been for the past couple months occasionally hopping on it just to troll zergs that set up catas/rams that clunk together mindlessly. It's surprising getting a bunch of downs and 70% cata health left in one burst. Rinse and repeat. It's pretty situational; against pugs it wrecks but against organised zerg/guild groups you're basically useless.

this guy knows.

@RisenHowl.2419 said:Remember, burn guard is a meme build that just can't perform against groups that cleanse. Every group that dies to it cannot cleanse, that's the rule of the forums =Dnot on vabbi.org = not viable'+ you dont stick to the com'+ clouding is an unfair coward behavior

Pls stop spreading and advertising builds that are fun to play, thx ;)Otherwise I feel obliged to call the meta police :p

It's not really used against zergs, we were having some random fun outside EB SM gates (no squads, etc) about 5-8 players a side when I noticed it. On it's own not a problem but covered by several other condis and it was painful- he kept getting people downed as by the time people noticed the burn applied 1-2 seconds and down if they didn't cleanse. As I said earlier, used to be 3-4k but 6-7k is just too much.

In a zerg I doubt we'd even notice it being applied with the cleanses we pump out.

@Baldrick.8967 said:was getting hit for 5-7k burn ticks from range tonight (didn't have time to count the stacks), if it got covered by other condis then down I went before I could cleanse enough of them.

Couldn't tell which class was applying it (it's not an ele skill or a mortar hit) but boy that hurts!

That moment when a guardian can apply a single condi without cover up condis and it doesn't get cleansed.

@Anput.4620 said:

@Baldrick.8967 said:was getting hit for 5-7k burn ticks from range tonight (didn't have time to count the stacks), if it got covered by other condis then down I went before I could cleanse enough of them.

That moment when a guardian can apply a single condi without cover up condis and it doesn't get cleansed.

This is what happens when your zerg cleans for you. You can't clean for yourself anymore.

@"Zephyra.4709" said:It's most likely burn core guard or firebrand equivalent for that matter. I've been for the past couple months occasionally hopping on it just to troll zergs that set up catas/rams that clunk together mindlessly. It's surprising getting a bunch of downs and 70% cata health left in one burst. Rinse and repeat. It's pretty situational; against pugs it wrecks but against organised zerg/guild groups you're basically useless.

This.

Love the build. Run Risen Howl's DH build occasionally or when in publics. Works wonders against PUG zergs and groups. Not very useful against people with brain and coordination. In huge blob fights where effects fly left and right, you can do some serious damage if the enemy blob is slow.

How to best practice against burn guard? Go through path 2 of Caudecus Manor up until you meet Bridgette (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bridgette). Her Sword of Justice attack was changed alongside the past spirit weapon change and will pretty much instant down you if you decide to not dodge it. Fight her a bit until you either get bored of dying to her or get a hang of how to dodge Sord of Justice. Now take that new found knowledge to WvW and win.

@Anput.4620 said:

As I said, it only was a problem when covered by other condis- my build has a lot of cleanses.

Might even try the build myself for a bit of trolling when it's quiet.

@ArchonWing.9480 said:

This is what happens when your zerg cleans for you. You can't clean for yourself anymore.

As I said, it only was a problem when covered by other condis- my build has a lot of cleanses.

Might even try the build myself for a bit of trolling when it's quiet.

Burn guard has like no coverup at all.