EU Ranked PvP on Core Mantra Mesmer!

shadowpass.4236

I played some more with this build, or more like with its variation, instead of mental anguish i use GS trait, I switch schoolar for eagle, and put % dmg mods on my GS.you lose endu and quickness on weapon swap, but gain more reliable crit chance, perma cripple and more sustain damage while ahving preety much the same burst.

EDIT, its much better against necros due to not many dodges on them, and much better at cleaving due to gs4 + f1 shatter having much more aoe burst during rez.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

@"apharma.3741" said:If anyone wants to see the perspective of someone fighting on the opposing team here you go:

Time is 5h 54m when the match starts just in case the link doesn't work.

Edit: NSFW it does contain some strong language depending on your disposition.

6:04:50 thats some manly mirage.ps at ¬¬ 5:57 is the only "burst" he managed to land did around 11k dmg.so his can stealth and run across the map and 1shot anyone no counterplay doesnt really hold it, now does it ?

As I've stated several times in the past, it can oneshot anything that doesn't use a toughness amulet. The only meta classes that use demo or paladins are rangers, holos, and warriors. However, it can bring them down to 10-20% of their total health.

, you can see the burst executed from my perspective. I was far away, thus the Mind Wrack from my player didn't hit Ajax. Also, I should've Power Locked before I did the rest of the burst which would've interrupted the Breaching Strike and procced Superiority Complex AND Mental Anguish. However, I did not need to stand next to AJax in this case. Simply Power Locking before the rest of the mantra combo would've killed him.

Thanks for making me rewatch the video in slow motion. Previously, Power Lock would be the last part of the burst. Going forward, it will be the first thing I use to proc all of those extra damage traits. =D

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@"apharma.3741" said:If anyone wants to see the perspective of someone fighting on the opposing team here you go:

6:04:50 thats some manly mirage.ps at ¬¬ 5:57 is the only "burst" he managed to land did around 11k dmg.so his can stealth and run across the map and 1shot anyone no counterplay doesnt really hold it, now does it ?

As I've stated several times in the past, it can oneshot anything that doesn't use a toughness amulet. The only meta classes that use demo or paladins are rangers, holos, and warriors. However, it
can
bring them down to 10-20% of their total health.

, you can see the burst executed from
my
perspective. I was far away, thus the Mind Wrack from my player didn't hit Ajax. Also, I should've Power Locked before I did the rest of the burst which would've interrupted the Breaching Strike and procced Superiority Complex AND Mental Anguish. However, I did not need to stand next to AJax in this case. Simply Power Locking before the rest of the mantra combo would've killed him.

Thanks for making me rewatch the video in slow motion. Previously, Power Lock would be the last part of the burst. Going forward, it will be the first thing I use to proc all of those extra damage traits. =D

meh, he was low hp so superiority proced anyways, and anguish extra 9% damage wouldnt matter much becouse you range 1clone shattered, 5 vulnerability would matter more but most likely he would have still survived. what annoys me with this build is the unreliability of the damage, its all about the crit, and you have 49% chance only. you need to get that fury to jump to 69%, and thats simply hit or miss.tldr he would take extra ¬¬9% dmg or around that number and survive with 1-2k hp instead of 3k

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

As I've stated several times in the past, it can oneshot anything that doesn't use a toughness amulet. The only meta classes that use demo or paladins are rangers, holos, and warriors. However, it
can

my
perspective. I was far away, thus the Mind Wrack from my player didn't hit Ajax. Also, I should've Power Locked before I did the rest of the burst which would've interrupted the Breaching Strike and procced Superiority Complex AND Mental Anguish. However, I did not need to stand next to AJax in this case. Simply Power Locking before the rest of the mantra combo would've killed him.

meh, he was low hp so superiority proced anyways, and anguish extra 9% damage wouldnt matter much becouse you range 1clone shattered, 5 vulnerability would matter more but most likely he would have still survived. what annoys me with this build is the unreliability of the damage, its all about the crit, and you have 49% chance only. you need to get that fury to jump to 69%, and thats simply hit or miss.tldr he would take extra ¬¬9% dmg or around that number and survive with 1-2k hp instead of 3k

You need to rewatch the

again.

Ajax was at 80% health at the start of the burst. That's 30% health where he wasn't getting hit by 10% bonus critical damage.

Dueling gives you perma fury in most fights and Illusions can bump your Mind Wrack crit chance up by 25% to make up for the fury loss.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

can

my

You need to rewatch the
again.

Ajax was at 80% health at the start of the burst. That's 30% health where he wasn't getting hit by 10% bonus critical damage.

Dueling gives you perma fury in most fights and Illusions can bump your Mind Wrack crit chance up by 25% to make up for the fury loss.

rewatched in slowmo, you did gs2->f1->gs3->daze->powerspike, so if you did the combo properly he might have actually died. would have been really close but its hard to tell. but i guess way above average crits even that out somewhat.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

can

my

You need to rewatch the
again.

rewatched in slowmo, you did gs2->f1->gs3->daze->powerspike, so if you did the combo properly he might have actually died. would have been really close but its hard to tell. but i guess way above average crits even that out somewhat.

I meant rewatch it to see his health percentage. Superiority Complex wouldn't have procced for at least 30% of his health.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

can

my

You need to rewatch the
again.

I meant rewatch it to see his health percentage. Superiority Complex wouldn't have procced for at least 30% of his health.

true, but also 10% off 30% in 3%, and 3% of his hp is what, 600?

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

can

my

You need to rewatch the
again.

Yikes lol

Sorry I'm not going to explain why you're wrong here. You need to read how Superiority Complex works before we continue this discussion.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

can

my

You need to rewatch the
again.

Yikes lol

Sorry I'm not going to explain why you're wrong here. You need to read how Superiority Complex works before we continue this discussion.

Maybe you should though.

80% to 50% would have 10% damage added (the trait works multiplicative). 10% of those 30% of his health is 3% of the total damage. So instead of 50% health taken it would've been 53% (at these health percentages, if it was all crits, didn't check it).

(This is if we expect the damage to be calculated linearly and not per hit, which is probably not true.)

@Megametzler.5729 said:

can

my

You need to rewatch the
again.

Yikes lol

Maybe you should though.

80% to 50% would have 10% damage added (the trait works multiplicative). 10% of those 30% of his health is 3% of the total damage. So instead of 50% health taken it would've been 53% (at these health percentages, if it was all crits, didn't check it).

(This is if we expect the damage to be calculated linearly and not per hit, which is probably not true.)

???? I really hope you guys are kidding

Superiority Complex gives 15% critical damage and another 10% critical damage when I'm hitting enemies that are disabled/under 50% health. In other words, if my Mind Wrack hits for 6,000 damage on a crit, SC would bump that up to 6,600. Mirror Blade hits several times so the bounces would each do 200+ additional damage each on crits. Etc. etc.

Not using Power Lock before hitting the rest of my combo actually reduces my damage by a significant amount.

@Megametzler.5729 said:

can

my

You need to rewatch the
again.

Yikes lol

Maybe you should though.

immagine studying enginnering only to be called yikes on a math problem lolto mrs yikes superiority complex had nothing to do with the failure of a burst, landing daze -> mind spike makes MUCH more of a difference, due to extra 10 vulnerability.thats extra 1,1 x 1,05 = 1,155 =15,5% extra damage. on ALL DAMGE not just 1 hit.

extra gs2 hits wouldnt and didnt land becouse they bounced off into the sunset and warrior dodged.also a tip, after a burst combo use gs1, not gs4. people dodge/invul anyways and gs1 first tick is preety fast so its actually possible to fit extra 300-800 dmg.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

can

my

You need to rewatch the
again.

Yikes lol

Maybe you should though.

immagine studying enginnering only to be called yikes on a math problem lolto mrs yikes superiority complex had nothing to do with the failure of a burst, landing daze -> mind spike makes MUCH more of a difference, due to extra 10 vulnerability.thats extra 1,1 x 1,05 = 1,155 =15,5% extra damage. on ALL DAMGE not just 1 hit.

extra gs2 hits wouldnt and didnt land becouse they bounced off into the sunset and warrior dodged.

I'm in aerospace and mechanical engineering so I understand the math perfectly fine (not that it's anywhere near complicated to begin with).

Your responses don't make sense in context to what I said. Also, you were so incorrect I almost didn't know how to respond. You really think that Superiority Complex would only deal an extra 600 damage and THAT'S what I missed out on??

I'm not arguing the vuln procs. However, you are incredibly mistaken about Superiority Complex's impact on the burst.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

can

my

You need to rewatch the
again.

Yikes lol

Maybe you should though.

extra gs2 hits wouldnt and didnt land becouse they bounced off into the sunset and warrior dodged.

I'm in aerospace and mechanical engineering so I understand the math perfectly fine (not that it's anywhere near complicated to begin with).

Your responses don't make sense in context to what I said. Also, you were so incorrect I almost didn't know how to respond. You
really
think that Superiority Complex would only deal an extra 600 damage and THAT'S what I missed out on??

I'm not arguing the vuln procs. However, you are incredibly mistaken about Superiority Complex's impact on the burst.

alright so first of all superiority automatically procs while under 50% hp.sec of all f1 did 3,1k dmg, gs3 did 1,8k dmg. but that was already under 50% hpthe only crit that was under 50% hp was f1 that landed for 3160.meaning superiority wasted 316 dmg........keep in mind that he was also attacked by condi thief.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

can

my

You need to rewatch the
again.

Yikes lol

Maybe you should though.

Your responses don't make sense in context to what I said. Also, you were so incorrect I almost didn't know how to respond. You
really
think that Superiority Complex would only deal an extra 600 damage and THAT'S what I missed out on??

alright so first of all superiority automatically procs while under 50% hp.sec of all f1 did 3,1k dmg, gs3 did 1,8k dmg. but that was already under 50% hpthe only crit that was under 50% hp was f1 that landed for 3160.meaning superiority wasted 316 dmg........keep in mind that he was also attacked by condi thief.

Ajax's total health pool is 19,212. He was at 80% health before I hit him. This means he was at 15,370 health.The 50% threshold where Superiority Complex starts is half of 19,212. So, this means SC triggers at 9,606 and below.Subtract these two values and you get 5,764 health.

I guess it just depends on how hard I crit him for before he drops under the 50% threshold. I see your point. However, I still have one point of contention. If I ended up critting him in a single hit, more than the health difference from 50%, I would miss out on more damage than just the 600.

Don't know. This is an interesting experiment and obviously a this small sample size of games wouldn't be representative given how lose or win streaks can creep in.

I just wonder, if mantras are so broken and overpowered, shouldn't a legend or plat 3+ player have no issue in carrying games? Yes, your 1v1 statistic is positive, which it should be on a dueler against Gold3 and P1-2 opponents simply due to better game understanding and execution.

Yet I wonder if there isn't some other builds out there which would be just as useful and more in a team setting. Granted, that is no proof that mantra's might still not be overpowered (say if 2-3 other builds were even more busted).

The way your game distribution goes simply seems to me like a player who has gotten used to his build climbing to his natural rank. That doesn't really scream overpowered yet.

@Cyninja.2954 said:Don't know. This is an interesting experiment and obviously a this small sample size of games wouldn't be representative given how lose or win streaks can creep in.

I just wonder, if mantras are so broken and overpowered, shouldn't a legend or plat 3+ player have no issue in carrying games? Yes, your 1v1 statistic is positive, which it should be on a dueler against Gold3 and P1-2 opponents simply due to better game understanding and execution.

Yet I wonder if there isn't some other builds out there which would be just as useful and more in a team setting. Granted, that is no proof that mantra's might still not be overpowered (say if 2-3 other builds were even more busted).

The way your game distribution goes simply seems to me like a player who has gotten used to his build climbing to his natural rank. That doesn't really scream overpowered yet.

Mur and CJ both place(d) in the top 10 regularly on mantra builds (since the leaderboards came out) when they play.

I'm also consistently farming the enemy team in nearly all of the games I've played.

I will upload more when I have time. Also, my win/loss ratio should be a lot higher than it is. Even if I go 15-1 my teams can still throw the game by rotating poorly, feeding, and enabling the enemy teams' snowballs. Don't forget I'm solo quing so having at least one person to rely on other than myself would've made those close/unwinnable matches relatively easy to win with me constantly keeping the enemy team on respawn.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:Don't know. This is an interesting experiment and obviously a this small sample size of games wouldn't be representative given how lose or win streaks can creep in.

Mur and CJ both place(d) in the top 10 regularly on mantra builds (since the leaderboards came out) when they play.

Yes, there is players who can perform very well, even on not overpowered builds. Given how mantras have seen about 1 rework ever, and how mesmer has had his greatsword burst since the start of the game, that doesn't mean the skills or build are overpowered merely consistent. Just as how mesmer and their clones (or stealth) have always been strong against inexperienced players (though here one could make the argument that stealth and clones require additional experience). Which is pretty much everyone up to gold 3.

It merely means the mechanic might work well against lower brackets of players but once a certain skill ceiling is passed, it loses its benefit.

@shadowpass.4236 said:I'm also consistently farming the enemy team in nearly all of the games I've played.

You are a far higher ranked player than most of your opponents. If you weren't farming them, there would be issues. That's like gloating over taking candy from a child (EDIT2: and going to put this here since these are forums and a small poke or quip can be misunderstood. I know you've not actually been gloating, going to leave the poke as to not seem to white wash my post).

I'm not arguing that mantras are underpowered, I'm wondering if they are that overpowered, given how there is other builds which in an experienced players hands might be just as strong AND potentially more useful to carry a team.

@shadowpass.4236 said:I will upload more when I have time. Also, my win/loss ratio should be a lot higher than it is. Even if I go 15-1 my teams can still throw the game by rotating poorly, feeding, and enabling the enemy teams' snowballs. Don't forget I'm solo quing so having at least one person to rely on other than myself would've made those close/unwinnable matches relatively easy to win with me constantly keeping the enemy team on respawn.

You are solo queing on a way lower rating than you naturally play on. Which puts you at a disadvantage against teams where people duo que and know what they are doing, but at a severe advantage against any other lower rank solo player (and duo que players who are not as experienced).

Again, not every role on a match is able to carry equally well and a strong roamer or good thief controlling close and far might be better at carrying than say a support firebrand, that still leaves you with a lot of games where you went very positiv kill wise but still lost the match. Which means the actual carry potential of a mantra build would be low.

EDIT: and just to add, I have nothing to win/lose from a change/nerf to mantras. I'm at gold3 atm, which is the rating I usually gravitate to (between 2 and 3) with my very limited pvp experience. I mainly WvW and PvE, where mantras are pretty much unrepresented (on mesmer). Any change to mantras could only make them more useful to me personally, or keep them as useless as they are now. Just wondering if they are really this powerful to warrent special attention in todays pvp setting.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

Yes, there is players who can perform very well, even on not overpowered builds. Given how mantras have seen about 1 rework ever, and how mesmer has had his greatsword burst since the start of the game, that doesn't mean the skills or build are overpowered merely consistent. Just as how mesmer and their clones (or stealth) have always been strong against inexperienced players (though here one could make the argument that stealth and clones require additional experience). Which is pretty much everyone up to gold 3.

It merely means the mechanic might work well against lower brackets of players but once a certain skill ceiling is passed, it loses its benefit.

@shadowpass.4236 said:I'm also consistently farming the enemy team in nearly all of the games I've played.

You are a far higher ranked player than most of your opponents. If you weren't farming them, there would be issues. That's like gloating over taking candy from a child. I'm not arguing that mantras are underpowered, I'm wondering if they are that overpowered, given how there is other builds which in an experienced players hands might be just as strong AND potentially more useful to carry a team.

@shadowpass.4236 said:I will upload more when I have time. Also, my win/loss ratio should be a lot higher than it is. Even if I go 15-1 my teams can still throw the game by rotating poorly, feeding, and enabling the enemy teams' snowballs. Don't forget I'm solo quing so having at least one person to rely on other than myself would've made those close/unwinnable matches relatively easy to win with me constantly keeping the enemy team on respawn.

You are solo queing on a way lower rating than you naturally play on. Which puts you at a disadvantage against teams where people duo que and know what they are doing, but at a severe advantage against any other lower rank solo player (and duo que players who are not as experienced).

Again, not every role on a match is able to carry equally well and a strong roamer or good thief controlling close and far might be better at carrying than say a support firebrand, that still leaves you with a lot of games where you went very positiv kill wise but still lost the match. Which means the actual carry potential of a mantra build would be low.

EDIT: and just to add, I have nothing to win/lose from a change/nerf to mantras. I'm at gold3 atm, which is the rating I usually gravitate to (between 2 and 3) with my very limited pvp experience. I mainly WvW and PvE, where mantras are pretty much unrepresented (on mesmer). Any change to mantras could only make them more useful to me personally, or keep them as useless as they are now. Just wondering if they are really this powerful to warrent special attention in todays pvp setting.

I disagree. The whole premise of my argument against mantra mesmer is that it has the potential to oneshot top tier players reliably because of the nature of the combo when properly executed. These builds have been showcased in 1v1 tournaments with very good duelists, consistent top 10 representation, and now I just picked it up a few weeks ago and have been rolling over people with ease on a glass cannon build (that also happens to be very hard to actually die on).

Even in plat 3+ on my main class there aren't many people who can reliably hold their own in a 1v1 with me. So, it's not like I can only farm lower tier players. Not disagreeing with the fact that there are other carry builds as well. This thread was made in response to people who've said mantra mesmer only works against noobs, isn't good to climb with, and doesn't work on EU.

I don't have time to respond to the rest of that right now. About to leave for school.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

You are a far higher ranked player than most of your opponents. If you weren't farming them, there would be issues. That's like gloating over taking candy from a child. I'm not arguing that mantras are underpowered, I'm wondering if they are that overpowered, given how there is other builds which in an experienced players hands might be just as strong AND potentially more useful to carry a team.

I disagree. The whole premise of my argument against mantra mesmer is that it has the potential to oneshot top tier players reliably because of the nature of the combo when properly executed. These builds have been showcased in 1v1 tournaments with very good duelists, consistent top 10 representation, and now I just picked it up a few weeks ago and have been rolling over people with ease on a glass cannon build (that also happens to be very hard to actually die on).

Even in plat 3+ on my main class there aren't many people who can reliably hold their own in a 1v1 with me. So, it's not like I can only farm lower tier players. Not disagreeing with the fact that there are other carry builds as well. This thread was made in response to people who've said mantra mesmer only works against noobs, isn't good to climb with, and doesn't work on EU.

I don't have time to respond to the rest of that right now. About to leave for school.

Fair enough.

In that case I would simply add that it is refreshing to have someone at least try to show or make a case for his argument without only complaining, which seems to be most lower (and some higher) rank players approach.

God EU match quality is so much worse than NA why the hell do I GET SO MANY FUCKING AFKERS ON MY TEAM OVER HERE

I'm like bleeding rating cause I have multiple different idiots AFKing in my games and raging at each other in team chat within the first 50 points AND THEY DON'T FUCKING LOG OUT!!!!

AND WHY DO I KEEP GETTING FULL TEAMS OF CORE CLASSES AGAINST FULL STACKED POF ENEMY TEAMS

I really hate quing on EU