How can Anet monetize WvW more without being P2W?

Knighthonor.4061

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:single use item that allows a player to use contested waypointspotion that grants pulsing stab, resistance, and prot to siege userssingle use item that dismounts and reveals all enemies in a 1500 radius

Lol, funny to read this when op said "without being p2w"I laugh so much when players answer posts without even reading half of it

meh. if not p2w how will anet fund things to get stuff done? a lil p2w never hurt anyone. I mean if we can weather these bloated xpacs then we can handle anything.

the problem is, this is not "a lil"without warclaws you can't even play wvwwithout new specs forget about spvp, core builds are as weak as they can be right nowwithout acces to every spec forget about raiding, fighting in wvw in a guild, or fighting in ranked pvp and doing goodevery new player right now just has fun until they hit the wall, and then leave the game for good, because combat after pof sucks so much it's not funny anymoref2p accounts don't even have some sort of trial to try this new specs so they can tell if they want to buy it or not, no one would blindly pay 45/50 dollars in this game

they should remove f2p version of the game, or make it as a trial so players can explore every spec, class, build, etc and then choose if they want to buy or notbeeing forced to pay so you can compete and stay relevant to someone who doesn't like new stuff it's not good at all.

@LetoII.3782 said:Once upon a time there was a big push for an expanded skin market. Wall textures for structures, different models for guards/lords and siege to name a few. Now, they don't even seem to make finishers..Seems WvW/pvp specific items aren't worth making. (Warclaw is a Griffon skin, it doesn't count)

I don't know why they never did this. Maybe it was too much work? It seemed like an obvious gem store option for competitive gamemodes.

You know they have the technology, because it comes out during holiday events like Wintersday.

I said this another thread but...

if they ever give WvW rentals then non-pof users could not only have equal opportunities like everyone else but they could encourage sales after users feel how great it is to mount around, maybe they could even sell skins to those who just prefer to rent. Thats a renewable income source... user buys a skin while renting then is forced to keep paying for rents on the skin or to remove ongoing costs by purchasing PoF.

it opens doors to making more money for Anet and it evens the field for all players, if you ask me... thats a win win for both players and Anet.

another option is to get a "no combat pass" for those who wish to only flip camps and structures...4000 gems for the combat toggle option. if purchased the player becomes white like ambient creatures so all players enemy and ally alike know they are not going to contribute to emgagements.obviously they cant flip it on thier own, they will need people who are combat ready to kill the npcs but they can still stand on the cap circle for xp for what ever shiny they are grinding for.

Yeah I've suggested too in the past that rentals could in fact be more than enough incentive for someone to want to buy them - just give them lesser versions of skills 1-4 or something since they technically cannot gain mastery for it (it will not be visible in wvw ranks&abilities, just like wargliding/etc if you don't have hot).

@coro.3176 said:

@LetoII.3782 said:Once upon a time there was a big push for an expanded skin market. Wall textures for structures, different models for guards/lords and siege to name a few. Now, they don't even seem to make finishers..Seems WvW/pvp specific items aren't worth making. (Warclaw is a Griffon skin, it doesn't count)

I don't know why they never did this. Maybe it was too much work? It seemed like an obvious gem store option for competitive gamemodes.

You know they have the technology, because it comes out during holiday events like Wintersday.

Yeah and it's a shame upgraded siege masteries undo the wintersday skins. I figured that their first year release schedule (every 2 weeks) turned into a all-hands-on-deck situation. So everything else got pushed aside, like things for the competitive mode. Whole guilds had already up and left before they scaled back a bit... Not that pve has ever stopped getting the Lions share of dev time.

The problem with gw2 is the game generally is pve focus. The concept of p2w is foreign to this pve audiences. In fact, the concepts of anything related to pvp are foreign to most of this game's community. Anet who only have experience on pve oriented games too does not have any idea on how to monetize pvp contents. Therefore, they designed gw2 in such manner.

The only possible thing you could add to WvW and sPvP is a premium reward track that drop cosmetic items. (You see this suggestion here anet, don't need to thanks me for it, is too late to thanks me too since I am going AAU on oct 15.)

Btw, transfer itself is a p2w feature as the gems can be bought using cash. If this is a pvp game, the community will burn you for that.