Black Screening

Good Evenin All,

Not to sure whats causing it, but my game has been going.. black, the entire screen goes black. I can move, attack and i hear sound, but i cant see anything. No menus load, i have to close the window and kill the program. its -only- happening in Grothmar Valley too, no other map in the game is doing this for me. I thought it was discord but it happened without discord even running, so that went out the window.

I doubt its a video problem due to it only happening on this one map, unless its a side effect of the new(im assuming, given how this map seems to glow everywhere) lighting used.

@Notjes.7182 said:I experienced it yesterday and just now for the second time. It is like a starting cut scene but the screen stays black.I have only arcdps installed, no overlays.

Have you tried not using ArcDPS, as that is an overlay as well?

@Dante.1763 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:Are you sure that it's not Discord? The Overlay can run without its chat program being open. You need to explicitly deactivate it.

Yup thats what i mean, i had discord completely closed out and it still happened!

As I said, it can be closed and the overlay can still be active, from what I've heard. Launch Discord and deactivate the overlay.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Notjes.7182 said:I experienced it yesterday and just now for the second time. It is like a starting cut scene but the screen stays black.I have only arcdps installed, no overlays.

Have you tried
not
using ArcDPS, as that is an overlay as well?

@Ashantara.8731 said:Are you sure that it's not Discord? The Overlay can run without its chat program being open. You need to explicitly deactivate it.

Yup thats what i mean, i had discord completely closed out and it still happened!

As I said, it can be closed and the overlay can still be active, from what I've heard. Launch Discord and deactivate the overlay.

No. I had discord completely shut off, the program that is known as discord wasnt even running. Also this is an issue that goes all the way back to 2017(according to another post in the Technical issues page). It also just happened in Orr, so not limited to the new map like i thought.

Not an overlay issue. I don't use overlays and it was happening quite frequently the other day. The screen would go black, but I'd have sound and the in-game cursor. I always had to close out the game via close window function. I can go an entire day without it happening and then I get spurts of every 10-20 minutes a black screen event.

@Ashantara.8731 said:I am quite certain it is an overlay issue. But since you refuse to try any of my suggestions, I wish you good luck.

Couple things.1.) If discord as i stated is never started, there can be no overlay as the program is not running.(the program HAS to be running for there to be an overlay, how is that hard to understand?)

2.) I have already completely closed out discord to see if that was the issue. It wasnt. REGARDLESS OF IF DISCORD WAS RUNNING OR NOT I AM HAVING THIS ISSUE.

3.) The sass, not needed. ive already stated multiple times that i ran GW2 without having Discord running at all, youve ignored that statement repeatedly to continue and try to blame outside programs. If my wording makes no sense, ask for clarification dont assume im an idiot who doesnt know any basic troubleshooting.

But yes. Good day.

@Heibi.4251 said:Not an overlay issue. I don't use overlays and it was happening quite frequently the other day. The screen would go black, but I'd have sound and the in-game cursor. I always had to close out the game via close window function. I can go an entire day without it happening and then I get spurts of every 10-20 minutes a black screen event.

This is what ive experienced as well, it either never happens at all. Happens in bursts, or happens once and then never again that night. Regardless of if im running outside programs or not.

• 1 month later...

I've been reading this in the last 2 years. I have this issue, it's probably an issue regarding with our ISP communicating with GW2 server. I have used my Desktop and my HP Laptop and my wife's Dell Laptop, same issue. Now I'm currently using my Asus ROG Strix gaming laptop GTX1070 and I encountered this black screen issue 3 times today already.

Note that I am using Window Mode and yes GW2 Turns black, I can pull out the gw2 settings window by pressing F11 when screen turns black, when I press F12 I have an option to Log out or Character Selection screen, whenever I choose one it doesn't do anything, just black screen with background music.

I also play other MMORPG and RPG like Elder Scrolls Online, Black Desert Online, Monster Hunter World and Witcher 3, those games have massive demand from your video card when it comes to graphics and I can play those smoothly with no issue. So I'm 100% sure this is not regarding any drivers of your Video Card. If updating drivers fixed your issue then you have a different problem before, not the same as mine. It's already December 13, 2019 and I still encounter this issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem here: Screens go's black, sound is there etc. . Happens most of the time at the World Boss Events - but only under Win7. Works perfect under Linux with Wine. Solved the problem with installing a (free) vpn and let GW2 use it. It seems to be a problem with the cinematic scenes which causes somehow server connection problems.

• 4 weeks later...

Black screens for me too. No bug, no nothing. Mouse can still moove and I still hear sound.I got an i5 6600k, RTX 2060 and 8GB of RAM. Game is installed and running on an SSD that still has 32GB of free space. Should be more than enough.

I've used the " -repair" method on my .exe folder, black screen KEEPS happening.I've disabled my antivirus and black screen KEEPS happening.I've installed the latest Nvidia thingy and black screen KEEPS happening.

I've bought around 12k gems in the last 2 months but this issue is starting to be way too annoying for me to keep playing the game right now. I would like someone from Anet to dig into this. I've read all posts about this "black screen" thing, and some date of 2015 !An ANSWER on the many threads covering the problem would be the least you could do for your customers.

@"NoDoubt.5316" said:Black screens for me too. No bug, no nothing. Mouse can still moove and I still hear sound.I got an i5 6600k, RTX 2060 and 8GB of RAM. Game is installed and running on an SSD that still has 32GB of free space. Should be more than enough.

I've used the " -repair" method on my .exe folder, black screen KEEPS happening.I've disabled my antivirus and black screen KEEPS happening.I've installed the latest Nvidia thingy and black screen KEEPS happening.

I've bought around 12k gems in the last 2 months but this issue is starting to be way too annoying for me to keep playing the game right now. I would like someone from Anet to dig into this. I've read all posts about this "black screen" thing, and some date of 2015 !An ANSWER on the many threads covering the problem would be the least you could do for your customers.

If you'd like 'someone from A(rena)Net' to 'answer', you will need to contact the Tech CS Team via the 'Support' link above/below.

Good luck.