Jumping on that GW3 Bandwagon !

@Erasculio.2914 said:I wonder what the storyline in GW2 would be like.

In the original Guild Wars, we...

• Fought to help the Kingdom of Ascalon against the Charr
  • Saved the human city of Lion's Arch
  • Helped the Kurzick and the Luxon
  • Saved the imperial line of Cantha
  • Saved Elona from being taken over by a tyrant, with the help of a group of allies

Between the original Guild Wars and GW2...

• The Kingdom of Ascalon was destroyed by the Charr, its king suicided himself and turned what remained of this people into ghosts
  • The human city of Lion's Arch was destroyed and submerged
  • The Luxon and the Kurzick were almost completely destroyed by the Emperor
  • The imperal line led to the rise of a xenophobe Emperor who's a tyrant
  • Elona was taken over by Joko, and our allies were killed and tortured for hundreds of years

So if we had a Guild Wars 3, I would expect it to be something like:

• Shahud, the Elder Sea Dragon rises. It's actually the Mother of all Dragons, to an elder dragon as an elder dragon is to a common human. Her appearance (she only raises her head and neck) breaks the Shiverpeaks Mountains in half. Shahud then eats Aurene, and devours all magic in the world.
  • Without magic, Rata Sum falls from the sky. The surviving Asura are quickly wiped out, as without their golems and technomagic they're basically just arrogant rats.
  • Without magic, the Pale Tree dies. No more Sylvari are born, and so they just slowly die, one by one.
  • The destruction of the Shiverpeaks Mountains destroy the Norn civilization. They become nomads and are almost completely wiped out.
  • Humans lose contact with the Charr (and with everything to the east of the mountains)
  • Lion's Arch is destroyed by the tsunami created by the rise of Shahud.
  • The same tsunami destroys all of coastal Elona; only the inland desert survives, dealing with a refugee crisis

You know I really like this idea for some reason. We’ve seen races rise and fall throughout Guild Wars history. The Mursaat, Seers, Dwarves, Jotun and Forgotten

Between GW 2 and 3 narrativly we could see something like above unfold. If Gw1 was about Glint and her Prophecy and GW2 about Aurene....GW3 could be about a world without or just one last Elder Dragon and the breakdown of Magic entirely.

In regards to scythes and spear, yes please! Could even make then one and two handed? One handed like the old Paragons and a two handed melee option for some classes?

Scythes could be somewhqt castery like Great Swords are now?

About gaming engines and gameplay options i think a new engine would make sense for a new development cycle....

As said before keep the good from GW1 and 2 in a new crisp jacket. Maybe make followers a thing agin that can dodge and jump on their own a la Dragon Age?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Kas.3509 said:

@"Ben K.6238" said:That's the problem, though. A new MMO, starting from a smaller world, has to compete with the existing MMOs that have many years of content. Just being newer is no longer enough on its own.

If you follow with that way of thinking no mmo could release ever, (GW2 included), because they had to compete with older games that had 5-10 years of content.Maybe that's actually why no company wants to release new mmo - because players have unrealistic expactations like this one. For me MMO's were the games that grow over time and it's a pleasure to watch them grow. They usually start to really shine and have best content in 4-6 years after initial release and then they go slower and slower and they die off to be replaced by a new one 10-12 years after they released-> of course thats "usual" pattern, there are exceptions, obviously.

Also I disagree partially. JUST being new is not enough, but new game - with good engine and graphics - even with nothing "new" or "inventive" is going to catch many players. I'd actually just love something very similiar to GW2 or ESO but with new graphics, new story, new adventure. Why? Because I enjoyed these games but after 5-6 years I'm bored. I bet new game similiar to base GW2/WoW/ESO etc. would get many interested players.

Anyway sadly I don't think it will happen. Maybe I'm not right though - I hope I'm not.

Most of the MMOs that have ever released are no longer operating precisely because of that competition. 20 years ago it took much less manpower to produce a MMO, so it wasn't so risky to make the attempt. 10 years ago the manpower required to have enough content was huge, but because of the success of WoW, investors thought it was worth it.

Today, there's a shrinking MMO market and there's still considerable capital required to develop an entry into that market. It takes at least 4 years with a group of 100-200 developers to even produce a mediocre story with enough appearance customization options to make people feel like their characters are their own. That's a long time to wait with no source of income, so unless there's a clear market for the product it's unlikely to get funding.

Making a sequel to a MMO is also dangerous, because history shows they seldom do better than their predecessors. Where it's possible to maintain compatibility, it makes more sense to develop new features in the old game, effectively turning it into its own sequel. That allows a developer to retain its old players, which is unlikely to happen if they cut off the old content and add a number to the name.

What is this speculation? There is no way M'O will create Guild Wars 3, he created a new company, he is not allowed to create the same IP, therefore, his game will not be set in the same universe, will not have races, history and 99% of the assets/lore/characters GW2 has.

He is going with the new IP, and he is also going with the small-scale game. I would say something more like GW1, as he did mention that "We aim to create worlds to live in, skills to discover, and adventures to share with friends.", which GW1 basically is/was in its prime days. There is not a lot of co-op games on the scale of what GW1 is, so there is a great opportunity to create such a game.And mind you, MMORPGs like FFXIV are more about just storytelling and co-op experience, as well as many other "MMORPGs" - they all are basically just HUB based games these days with automatic teleporting to instances, with Open World - if they have it, created just as a leveling experience with a few endgame world bosses. Not much more MMO than what GW1 was.

With that in mind, it is safe to speculate that the game will be more like GW1, as in, will not have a huge leveling experience - if at all, and will not have gear tiers/vertical progression. It will have a skill-building similar to GW1, it will probably have a bit more modern approach to the combat/movement and bigger maps.You can expect GW 1.5, but it will be a different IP.If M'O is cunning, it WILL have PvP, as PvP games are the most popular games today, with the best longevity there is, as well as needing much fewer resources investment to keep up with the new content release - which would just make sense as the strategy to go with for a smaller developer team.

As nostalgic as people are about GW1 the elephant in the room nobody likes to mention is that the GW1 model was unsustainable. That's why they decided to invest into GW2 only 2 years after the release of GW1. The technical restrictions where too limiting with what they wanted to do, the workload of the release schedule was hell, and game features like the dual class system with its myriad of skills and skill combinations were an exponentially growing nightmare. Wanting that back for a potential GW3 will only make it crash as quickly as GW1. Meanwhile GW2 is 7 years in with regular updates - they may not come as fast as people want them to but they're coming at a sustainable pace.

In the end it's all about compromise. No development studio can deliver the most flawless perfect game that makes all your wishes come true and then some. ANet might decide at some point that they reached the limits of what they could do with their GW2 model but 1) that is probably still be a few years down the line, and 2) don't count on GW3 magically being everything you ever dreamt of.

I think its better to focus on a new not mmo game for them. A mix of single player/ coop would be my favorite. Refreshing new things (like they did long ago), instead of following the trend of endless recycling and copying of earlier games. I want a new golden age of creative refreshing games, which are rare this last decade, gaming in general. Developing a new generation mmo would take too much years also, they had to be working on it for years now, which obviously is not the case.

@Ben K.6238 said:

@Kas.3509 said:

@Ben K.6238 said:That's the problem, though. A new MMO, starting from a smaller world, has to compete with the existing MMOs that have many years of content. Just being newer is no longer enough on its own.

If you follow with that way of thinking no mmo could release ever, (GW2 included), because they had to compete with older games that had 5-10 years of content.Maybe that's actually why no company wants to release new mmo - because players have unrealistic expactations like this one. For me MMO's were the games that grow over time and it's a pleasure to watch them grow. They usually start to really shine and have best content in 4-6 years after initial release and then they go slower and slower and they die off to be replaced by a new one 10-12 years after they released-> of course thats "usual" pattern, there are exceptions, obviously.

Also I disagree partially. JUST being new is not enough, but new game - with good engine and graphics - even with nothing "new" or "inventive" is going to catch many players. I'd actually just love something very similiar to GW2 or ESO but with new graphics, new story, new adventure. Why? Because I enjoyed these games but after 5-6 years I'm bored. I bet new game similiar to base GW2/WoW/ESO etc. would get many interested players.

Anyway sadly I don't think it will happen. Maybe I'm not right though - I hope I'm not.

Most of the MMOs that have ever released are no longer operating precisely because of that competition. 20 years ago it took much less manpower to produce a MMO, so it wasn't so risky to make the attempt. 10 years ago the manpower required to have enough content was huge, but because of the success of WoW, investors thought it was worth it.

Today, there's a shrinking MMO market and there's still considerable capital required to develop an entry into that market. It takes at least 4 years with a group of 100-200 developers to even produce a mediocre story with enough appearance customization options to make people feel like their characters are their own. That's a long time to wait with no source of income, so unless there's a clear market for the product it's unlikely to get funding.

Making a sequel to a MMO is also dangerous, because history shows they seldom do better than their predecessors. Where it's possible to maintain compatibility, it makes more sense to develop new features in the old game, effectively turning it into its own sequel. That allows a developer to retain its old players, which is unlikely to happen if they cut off the old content and add a number to the name.

I won't argue that making MMO's now is dangerous - cause it's true. There is less hype about MMO's and player have higher expectations.But I still don't agree with the bigger world thing.I tried many newer MMOs in search for some fun times and I obviously didn't enjoy any of them. Did I not enjoy any of them because world was too small? Nope.Did I not enjoy them because I had nothing to do? Nope. Did I not enjoy them because there were t=missing features/mechanics that could have been implemented later? Again, no.I just didn't like the game combat/monetisation/story etc. - I can honestly say GW2 destroyed most other MMOs combat for me, because I find it so enjoyable.So I wouldn't say it's the smaller world that matters. Many games gain new players with smaller worlds but what drives them away is p2w - and yet some people still play them because there is nothing else new to play.I find it's hard to say that if MMO like GW2 released now they would be succesfull or struggle. It's hard to tell because no big western MMO like that released lately - basically last big western released were GW2 and ESO. Sure, it's probably because hype is over, but hype is over mostly also because of this fact that nothing new releases. It's impossible to compare projects like GW2 or ESO to all the small indie games that are coming out - and again in most of indie games cases it's not the small world that drives people away.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:As long as it has a release date 7-10 years from now I'm fine XDGw1 development got stopped the moment they started working on gw2, even though that was still many years away. Just saying.

Yeah Gw2 was due to technical limitations with Gw1.They did have a new fouth game/expansion planned called Utopia but they scrapped it to make Gw2 and Eye of the North instead.I think Gw2 was in development the same time as Eye of the North so if there is ever to be a Gw3 it'll probably be in development around the same time as the last season or expansion for Gw2.I don't think that'll be anytime soon though.

I do not think we need GW3 anytime soon. An expansion with good chunk of content, update to some systems and a graphical update would renew interest in the game. But it comes down to NCSOFT willingness to invest in GW2. Which does not seem to be happening.

Honestly I was terrified of what Guild Wars 2 was going to be when it was first announced. But since having played it. I felt this game has been a massive improvement over the original. I'm hoping IF there is ever a Guild Wars 3, Yes...I said if there is ever one. Than it has to be a massive improvement over what we already have.

As for what we ALREADY have.......

I think there's still a lot of room for Guild Wars 2. They can still add in more expansions, more living seasons and add more options to get Mastery Points rather than grind hours to get a single mastery point.

It will be a death knell for guild wars 2 if the feverdream of guild wars 3 gets announced. Completely no more gemsales, and will drive a lot of longtime gempurchasers quite angry. Why should they saw over the branch they are sitting on? What guild wars 2 need is an expansion with an engine update.

There won't be a GW3. As it stands we have only a few random devs left after the lay offs:

Laura - this chick likes to make flow charts no one gives a fuck about. Between colour co-ordinating sticky notes and organizing snorefest meetings; she likes to spend her time in GW2 running meta events over and over again in HoT maps.

Peter - the dev is charge of WvW. He spends his time doing world bosses, pressing "1" and the occasional troll knockback on mobs people want to tag with his longbow ranger.

Casey - the unpaid intern who does bug fixes. He doesn't actually play the game, just hangs out in the mail room and goes for one too many smoke breaks.

Walter - the dev in charge of balancing PvP. He spends his time playing living story. He's a dreamer... day dreamer. When he isn't charging into battle with Rytlock Brimstone or crying alongside Caithe, he cruises the forums for to see people's well thought out and constructive ideas within the realm of his designated work - then says "Fuck it, I can do better!!!".

Mike - The team lead, he spends his time pressuring all the above staff to make money on the gemstore with innovative ideas like "chairs". He plays a game, just not this one. It's Farmville on his mobile phone (this is where GW is heading).

Sarah - the dev in charge of the forums. She sends her minions to close down constructive posts. She spends her day playing her necromancer in open world and pushing for "bring your pet to work days", for one of her 13 cats.

Edit - I'd like to see GvG's in Gw3 if there is one. Perhaps even raiding against other guildhalls. :)

So general concensus seems to be that we could see a new game in 3 to 5 years with a new engine.

A mix of gw 1 and 2 mechanically would be best with some new sprinkles ontop.

As far as races go personally I wouldnt mind seeing a few new ones.

Starting over actually would feel fun again to me.

But gw2 does have enough stories left to tell for now.

@Aerick Blackmoore.8167 said:So general concensus seems to be that we could see a new game in 3 to 5 years with a new engine.Make that 5+ years, and only if they stopped GW2 development right now.

Unless you're talking about MO's team - in which case yes, possibly (well, it would definitely have a different engine, as it would be a completely different game), but i wouldn't expect it to be a MMO game. Or to have anything in common with GW franchise.

@Kas.3509 said:I won't argue that making MMO's now is dangerous - cause it's true. There is less hype about MMO's and player have higher expectations.But I still don't agree with the bigger world thing.I tried many newer MMOs in search for some fun times and I obviously didn't enjoy any of them. Did I not enjoy any of them because world was too small? Nope.Did I not enjoy them because I had nothing to do? Nope. Did I not enjoy them because there were t=missing features/mechanics that could have been implemented later? Again, no.I just didn't like the game combat/monetisation/story etc. - I can honestly say GW2 destroyed most other MMOs combat for me, because I find it so enjoyable.So I wouldn't say it's the smaller world that matters. Many games gain new players with smaller worlds but what drives them away is p2w - and yet some people still play them because there is nothing else new to play.

It sounds like your experience might have turned you away from those MMOs before you ran out of content. But perceptions like "there's no endgame" certainly can lose players who enjoy the first month or two until they run out of content to play. Before HoT was released a lot of people made the same complaint about GW2. Having dynamic down-levelling didn't help: max-level players felt like they shouldn't be playing lower-level areas, regardless of how the game had been designed.

What happens when you reach the end of the content is a problem that all online RPGs have to deal with, and there are a few ways to keep things interesting without relying on massive amounts of content. But having a good base of content to start with is necessary to keep things from getting stale.

@Kas.3509 said:I find it's hard to say that if MMO like GW2 released now they would be succesfull or struggle. It's hard to tell because no big western MMO like that released lately - basically last big western released were GW2 and ESO. Sure, it's probably because hype is over, but hype is over mostly also because of this fact that nothing new releases. It's impossible to compare projects like GW2 or ESO to all the small indie games that are coming out - and again in most of indie games cases it's not the small world that drives people away.

That's a fair statement. There are a few MMOs in the works, but they're tending to focus on varieties of PvP, where other players contribute the bulk of the content so there's potential to keep a healthy population with a smaller dev team. But big PvE-focused MMOs are no longer being started up, with studios figuring that the easy money lies elsewhere (such as instance-based sandbox worlds).

I'd say it's highly likely it'll take a small indie team with a solution to the content problem to bring MMOs back into fashion. The indie studios are the ones who can take risks, and once you've got a good idea, you can do a proof-of-concept with surprisingly few developers.