stop nerfing rangers

Taboo.3625

@steki.1478 said:My scepter weaver still does less (but comparable) damage with 2-3 times more skills casted and half range of the soulbeast so I dont see how rangers are useless.

I'm still being hit for over 3k by rapid fire, but this time soulbeast was fully buffed compared to pre nerfs where only sic 'em and wh5 were used. People who know how to play soulbeast are still beyond strong, it's just more rare to get one tapped by a random ranger (slb) which is always a good thing, regardless of the class.

Perhaps its the fact that not all rangers are nor want to be soulbeasts?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:You're primed for disappointment the second you become comfortable with something that's over-performing.

Truth.

Though in the case of GW2 you're also primed for disappointment the second you become comfortable with something that's under-performing, because half the time ANet still nerfs it anyways or does nothing to it.

@Jarl.8607 said:

@steki.1478 said:My scepter weaver still does less (but comparable) damage with 2-3 times more skills casted and half range of the soulbeast so I dont see how rangers are useless.

I'm still being hit for over 3k by rapid fire, but this time soulbeast was fully buffed compared to pre nerfs where only sic 'em and wh5 were used. People who know how to play soulbeast are still beyond strong, it's just more rare to get one tapped by a random ranger (slb) which is always a good thing, regardless of the class.

7k+ crits from 1.8k range autoattacks are rather stupid. Barrage got buffed previously anyway.

Perhaps longbow isn't the only weapon you can play.

@TrollingDemigod.3041 said:

@"zaid.2308" said:Ranger is not nerfed but balanced. You are probably using a bad build or using your skills badly cause rangers can still hit hard, very hard.

How exactly is the ranger balanced currently when right out of the PoF starting blocks without any nerfs, they were nowhere even remotely close to be useful in WvW? A zerk ranger long-range shot on a typical tanky target in WvW wouldn't crack 800 damage; now it'll be even less. There is nothing balanced about this. We just have a bunch of players complaining without any merit to back up their claims.

Sometimes I really wonder if we play the same game, or you guys either run full white items or meet coal tier players to fight... Soulbeast need a nuke from orbit like every single spec in the game, STILL.

Your name just works perfectly with all the nonsense you spew out.

Soulbeast is strong because core ranger is in a good spot and because of interractions with core ranger skills and traits when merged. Soulbeast itself, as in its traits and skills (except Dolyak Stance and maybe Bear Stance), is relatively weak. If they ever nerf some of the strong synergy core has with WS//NM/BM, Soulbeast is gonna go right down with it. Useless traits like Eternal Bond, cucked stance sharing, a dagger that has never seen pvp/wvw use and a master tier selection of traits where you basically default to the same trait every time is not something that needs "a nuke".

And for the record; no, I don't think soulbeast is in a bad spot currently, just primed for some changes to never-used traits/skills. Druid is however (with its ONE role in ONE gamemode, carried by core ranger team buffs), unless they start "hard nuking" other support specs aswell.

@Sleepwalker.1398 said:

@"Raven.1793" said:Sic'em longbow ranger was one of the few ways to counter some of the insanely overpowered thief builds including the permastealth deadeye that can hit just as hard from range but has a lot more stealth. It was a glass build that countered other glass builds and the burst was necessary to take down a thief before it can restealth. ... ..At any rate, by nerfing the thief's natural counter build, you can look forward to a proliferation of annoying stealth builds.

Dragonhunter destroys theives. Even a poorly played meditrapper shouldn't break a sweat.

Longbow ranger was hit really hard by nerfs over multiple patches and now can only finish off wounded opponents, get outclassed by other glass builds, and are better in zergs than roaming.

That clip is awesome.He should now go find where his dodge key is.

@Sleepwalker.1398 you made my day! That Guardian didn't use any, but any of his defensive skills. Any class/glass cannon could melt this guy in 2 seconds.@LetoII.3782 if you posted this clip to show how powerful a Soulbeast is, then you don't know anything about GW2. That commander doesn't have a clue how to play his class.

Rangers have been crapped on since day 1, even in the dungeon running days they were kicked from most grps for being weak. Give us a little buff & ranger haters cry untill we get the nerf. If i wanted to play melee i would play a heavy class, nerfing our ranged & forcing us into melee is NOT why we pick the class. I prefer RANGED. Fire into a zerg & watch how much HP you lose vs how much dps you do, its stupid, its useless. But hey, buff daggers , slap us in the face & tell us how balanced it is.

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:You're primed for disappointment the second you become comfortable with something that's over-performing.

Quite true and yet "over-performing" seems to be more subjective. Problem is that gw2 since its release never was balanced and never will be. You leave a weak build around and when everything else gets nerfed all of a sudden that build is strong in contrast to everything else at that point.Tried deadeye post-patch. Yeah it's fun. Clunky and awkward to use, to kneel and not be able to comfortably get out of it, but fun and the damage is there. Tried Ranger after and i've noticed people going after me more often, but i can still handle them. Nothing drastic has changed. Warrior still cocky as ever. Still landed a 9k+ Maul in marauders gear. Damage is there but it's not as great, never was either honestly unless you go glassy, which i don't do personally.Principle stays the same: Open, bait cooldowns, avoid Rampage/bursts, kite and look for openers, when in melee or lb skills on cd swap to gs, cc when possible with a follow up maul/worldly impact, focus squishies or high priority targets. etc.

@steki.1478 said:

7k+ crits from 1.8k range autoattacks are rather stupid. Barrage got buffed previously anyway.

Perhaps longbow isn't the only weapon you can play.

Indeed its not. My ranger uses Axe/Dagger along with his ranged weapon. However, having said that, I would challenge core rangers doing that kind of damage with a LB. I am not complaining, just pointing out that the wrong component (the weapon vs Soulbeast) to ranger damage got hit with the nerf.

@steki.1478 said:7k+ crits from 1.8k range autoattacks are rather stupid.

So is running toward a zerk ranger with full WvW buffs while running base level armor yourself

I'm never allowed to cry about eating a 10k CoR or getting smeared by a DD spamming vault but beelining for a class you know will blow you up from range in level, open terrain is just somehow something people are allowed to do and then bitch about when it goes sideways on them everytime

@Substance E.4852 said:

@steki.1478 said:7k+ crits from 1.8k range autoattacks are rather stupid.

So is running toward a zerk ranger with full WvW buffs while running base level armor yourself

I'm never allowed to cry about eating a 10k CoR or getting smeared by a DD spamming vault but beelining for a class you know will blow you up from range in level, open terrain is just somehow something people are allowed to do and then kitten about when it goes sideways on them everytime

I kinda understand the cries about ranged 17k gunflame and 4k autos from a rifle zerker from 1.5k it feels kinda unfair.Still instead nerfing the damage from The core ranger skillset the @SystemsTeam should have changed how the soulbeast works. IMO to make it so it buffs the damage to targets within 600 units as such it would be no need to touch the core weapons at all.

@Substance E.4852 said: up

The grand irony of a "Necromancer, Engineer, Revenant" player saying these words to Ranger players when discussing WvW performance

PR5p9Rf.jpg

It's actually my second most played class of the 5 characters I have, and the second oldest. I just stopped playing it some time ago because I lost interest.

And I don't even know what that's supposed to mean given I main a core power Necro and sometimes power Reaper. I also play core power Engineer and not Holosmith or Scrapper.

I like a challenge which is why I often play weird and sub-optimal, even bad builds. Ranger is not a challenge in small scale and solo WvW.

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:

The grand irony of a "Necromancer, Engineer, Revenant" player saying these words to Ranger players when discussing WvW performance

PR5p9Rf.jpg

It's actually my second most played class of the 5 characters I have, and the second oldest. I just stopped playing it some time ago because I lost interest.

And I don't even know what that's supposed to mean given I main a core power Necro and sometimes power Reaper. I also play core power Engineer and not Holosmith or Scrapper.

I like a challenge which is why I often play weird and sub-optimal, even bad builds. Ranger is not a challenge in small scale and solo WvW.Um well then you didn't chose the most challenging classes. Reaper, holo and rev are all pretty busted in wvw, much more than soulbeast ever was. Core necro after the buffs to The shroud is pretty strong too but you already know that right?I would suspect by your worlds you would go for a core ranger or a core mesmer.

Anyhow that stat means nothing, for all I know you could have had that ranger as multibox in Britefrost frontier afk farming. It would be fantastic to be able to see the hours played in each mode with which class from the members on the forum thou.

That would give to the official forums a notch over reddit and also provide some perspective about to whom we may be talking to.

@anduriell.6280 said:

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:

PR5p9Rf.jpg

I like a challenge which is why I often play weird and sub-optimal, even bad builds. Ranger is not a challenge in small scale and solo WvW.Um well then you didn't chose the most challenging classes. Reaper, holo and rev are all pretty busted in wvw, much more than soulbeast ever was. Core necro after the buffs to The shroud is pretty strong too but you already know that right?I would suspect by your worlds you would go for a core ranger or a core mesmer.

Anyhow that stat means nothing, for all I know you could have had that ranger as multibox in Britefrost frontier afk farming. It would be fantastic to be able to see the hours played in each mode with which class from the members on the forum thou.

That would give to the official forums a notch over reddit and also provide some perspective about to whom we may be talking to.

Solo, Reaper is far from busted. In groups, yes I'd say it's pretty strong but still not quite busted.

Core Necro is a lot more viable now but I've been playing it for years and continued to do so while it was miles behind everything else. Having it in a good spot as it is now just makes me appreciate it more.

I also said I do not play Holosmith or Scrapper. I play core power Engineer. It's terrible and has no winning 1v1 match ups but it's loads of fun anyway.

And I do prefer core Ranger over Soulbeast. I've never cared for Druid. I did play Soulbeast for quite some time as well but I just prefer the good 'ol Wilderness Survival, Beast Mastery and Skirmishing combo over Soulbeast.

Revenant, yeah. I play power Sword/Sword Herald and it is incredibly strong. You can obliterate even tanky players. That said, it's also a relatively high risk profession because it doesn't have a lot of the passive defenses or immunities that a lot of other roaming professions have. Still, I agree it's relatively easy, but I'm also not great with it. I just enjoy it because I like the fast pace and having to be more active about my defenses.

You're right the stat does mean nothing. I was merely showing that despite my signature, I do have lots of experience with Ranger. If you believe otherwise, so be it.

This thread was moved here from the WvW sub. Otherwise I wouldn't have posted because I rarely/never visit the Ranger sub.

@DeadlySynz.3471 said:

@zaid.2308 said:Ranger is not nerfed but balanced. You are probably using a bad build or using your skills badly cause rangers can still hit hard, very hard.

How exactly is the ranger balanced currently when right out of the PoF starting blocks without any nerfs, they were nowhere even remotely close to be useful in WvW? A zerk ranger long-range shot on a typical tanky target in WvW wouldn't crack 800 damage; now it'll be even less. There is nothing balanced about this. We just have a bunch of players complaining without any merit to back up their claims.

I was playing a heal warrior in wvw and got crit for 3.7k from long range shot. This is with 3.6k armor. I would love it if auto attacks did close to 800 damage.

@warherox.7943 said:

@zaid.2308 said:Ranger is not nerfed but balanced. You are probably using a bad build or using your skills badly cause rangers can still hit hard, very hard.

I was playing a heal warrior in wvw and got crit for 3.7k from long range shot. This is with 3.6k armor. I would love it if auto attacks did close to 800 damage.

On a proper bunker build (even is warrior, thief, guardian) a Ranger glass cannon build is doing 600-800 damage. If your build is not made properly, that 3.6k armor can't help you much.Damage done = (Weapon strength) Power (skill-specific coefficient) / (target's Armor) and in our case this is:Damage done = (1050 35000.9)/3600 = 918.75 . This is on the maximum range of 1500 and without a crit. But with buffs Power could be 4000 instead of 3500 and the final damage will become 1050, again without a crit.These were before the patch. After the patch, the damage done with LB AA is = (1050 35000.75)/3600 = 766 or 817 if they reduced the damage with 11% as they said on updates. Initial they said weapon coefficient it will be 0.75 instead of 0.9. They didn't update the wiki, so we don't know for sure.Do you know how much Revenant Hammer AA does? = (1100 35000.95)/3600 = 1016.

On a proper bunker build (even is warrior, thief, guardian) a Ranger glass cannon build is doing 600-800 damage. If your build is not made properly, that 3.6k armor can't help you much.Damage done = (Weapon strength)
Power
(skill-specific coefficient) / (target's Armor) and in our case this is:Damage done = (1050
0.9)/3600 = 918.75 . This is on the maximum range of 1500 and without a crit. But with buffs Power could be 4000 instead of 3500 and the final damage will become 1050, again without a crit.These were before the patch. After the patch, the damage done with LB AA is = (1050
0.75)/3600 = 766 or 817 if they reduced the damage with 11% as they said on updates. Initial they said weapon coefficient it will be 0.75 instead of 0.9. They didn't update the wiki, so we don't know for sure.Do you know how much Revenant Hammer AA does? = (1100
0.95)/3600 = 1016.

Yeah Revenant hammer autos are high, but auto attacks in general are way too strong. They should be relatively weak and shouldn't apply conditions. Keep the auto damage for PvE but nerf them in PvP/WvW.