Sword changes are pretty awesome!

Swagger.1459

@Atronach.8520 said:

@Sandzibar.5134 said:Hornet sting takes HOOOUUUURRSS to cast - makes it almost worthless as an evade.

+1 for animation speed reduction on the stab to leap transition.

They should somehow make this Hornet's sting buff - either full animation evade, make it hit all enemies along the way( 3 target cap), or some range improvement. I would actually think that the loss of on-demand evade( Serpent's now gated behind leap) would be reasonable then. Atm SW3 is highly situational, has long cd for such a skill and not fluid at all.

If they made hornet sting evade at the beginning of the cast instead of like 1/4 second in, I think it’d be fine. Granted I do also like that idea of attacking everyone you roll backwards through, could really add versatility to the weapon by using 3 to chase and proc monarch leap instead of forcing hornet sting into being a disengage.

As it is now Hornet Sting feels like it’s singular purpose is to refresh monarch leap/serpent strike.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Durzlla.6295 said:

If they made hornet sting evade at the beginning of the cast instead of like 1/4 second in, I think it’d be fine. Granted I do also like that idea of attacking everyone you roll backwards through, could really add versatility to the weapon by using 3 to chase and proc monarch leap instead of forcing hornet sting into being a disengage.

As it is now Hornet Sting feels like it’s singular purpose is to refresh monarch leap/serpent strike.

Its purpose is there, but utility is weird. If you hit with it just to refresh leap chain, you're most likely to waste an evade( albeit not a good one). If you try to time the evade( which is certainly less than 1/2 s and starts around 1/4 s in), you're very likely not to hit anything. So it's suffering of an identity crisis which is due to sudden change of whole concept of a weapon by shuffling the sword skills. Everything that was there is still there but is forced into a totally different gameplay that's not as symbiotic nor thought out well I believe.If they want to make sword more sticky to the target and deal more pressure they should have added another skill that does that, for example some immob or short daze/stun.On every one handed weapon in game skill 3 is weapon defining and the strongest skill usually. On ranger is just a situational filler.It certainly needs more tweaking but I think it won't be in near future as it's not breaking the game in any way.

In my experimentation of the skill:Monarch leap -> Hornet stingYou will still have serpent strike available, so you may cast it to evade whatever (you won't hit because the target is too far away) and the mornach leap will be also instantly refreshed.

I think the changes to the sword are very good. IMO ppl is not happy because we are used to other skills, but the change make the sword better, less clunckier.

It is true a little bit more range to serpent strike to 400 units so it can be used to get back to the target instead doing the roll to a side and then having to use the monarch leap to get into combat again. That IMO would make the weapon perfect.

@"anduriell.6280" said:It is true a little bit more range to serpent strike to 400 units so it can be used to get back to the target instead doing the roll to a side and then having to use the monarch leap to get into combat again. That IMO would make the weapon perfect.

This is the reason Sword is not smoother than before. I can say Serpent Strike is stupid. How can you design a skill who has an evade (this is ok) but also has a hit who nevers hits? I think the developer or the designer of this was drunk at that moment. It is like in old martial movies when a fighter before the fight starts for real, do all kinds of hits in the air, without doing any damage to his opponent and the opponent is looking surprised, thinking "WTH this guy is doing?".

Hornet Sting and Monarch's Leap were created to work together, make them two independent abilities, increase the CD and not give them any significant buffs and without even improving the animation of the skill, it didn't make the sword better, Anet exchanged skills without considering the rest, as I wrote in another post, removing Hornet Sting leaving only the other two abilities could even make the sword a better weapon than it was because it would mean removing useless animations even if at the cost of mobility.

One thing I don't mind is when you time things right, you can Monarch's leap (save serpent strike) - hornet sting to recharge monarch -> use the leftover serpent's strike, use monarch leap immediately after, then you have a choice of repeating the cycle once more or using serpent's strike straight away, and then recharging from hornet sting etc. It can be done a bunch of ways to chain the leaps and evade that it can be a very high uptime. I find the serpent's strike staying for a few secs when using hornet sting to recharge monarch leap is actually a nice bonus instead of resetting immediately to monarch leap and wasting the serpent's strike.