Ouch. Instant 7k burn ticks

Baldrick.8967

Thats powercreep my friend, condition damage used to be damage over time, but thats not the case anymore...this saturday I decided to go play my warrior after the warhorn and tactics changes, you know, just for fun...and yeah I also got surprised by these high burns(I believe is from Guardians), legit in one sec my passive endure pain actived and the next sec I got killed...this whole game needs overhaul, everything is broken, power damage is insane, people one shooting each other with less then a sec windown to react, condi damage is brought up to the same level cause or else theres no fucking reason to play condi builds, Firebrands are made cause or else how are you even supposed to survive this shit...toughness is useless by itself, Protection is not enough, some professions even have % damage reduction...the whole system is broken is needs to be burned down and rebuild from scratch, this path that the balance team is taking since the trait changes and HoT is horrible for the integridy of game competitivity.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run a build which can do this, but its not at any insane range, and has limited defenses. Its better for PPT than it is for PVP as those condi numbers can get pretty high on lords making for quick caps, but in PVP its niche is zerg busting around structures (not in open field) - dropping symbols and spirit weapons on siege with people grouped around it.

Not so good in 1v1s - can be hard countered pretty easily.

Sounds like par for the course. I'm playing weaver right now, and if I hit you with Cauterizing Strike -> Fire Grab -> Quantum Strike in any order, you're dead. Before when I was playing herald, I'd down people with Shackling Wave -> Death Strike, or Death Strike -> Precision Strikes. I once downed 3 people on a condi herald with x3 Unyielding Anguish.

You don't see them a lot, but you'd be amazed how hard a pure damage build can hit. Us glass players sacrifice quite a bit to hit this hard, whether it is power glass or condi glass.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Justine.6351 said:So in short it's exactly like playing a hammer rev...

TIL Burn Guardian is responsible for Pirate Ship Meta.

You realize you just blammed hammer Rev for the pirate ship meta right?

I forgot to include the /s, though I thought it was implied :disappointed:

That's not how they reeeead that type of comment because it targets hammer Rev and fits what they believe.

I run a burn hybrid guard build on DH. 5k damage is literally only 9 stacks of burning, not hard to accomplish at all. I reach 3.15k power 2.6 condition with 181% crit dmg in fights and often hit 10k+ burn ticks and can easily hit 8k from range. It really isn't that hard to do on a burn guard as long as you are hitting multiple targets. 5-8 foes is ideal. As for dps, I reach 30-50k dps all the time but not from range. And guard does have cover conditions and plenty of them, especially cripple and vulnerability (which causes those burns to hit even harder).

Oh, and those who call it a meme build don't really know what they are talking about. You basically are calling all condi or condi/hybrid builds a meme build. They can be very useful on providing constant pressure on foes (even against heavy cleanse squads) as it only takes a few guys being slow on the uptake to get them separated and dead.

Here is one example from the other day. I slowed it down to better see the ticks in action. Once setup, all it really takes is scepter 2 and sword of justice to put 10+ stacks of burning and 10+ vulnerability (often max out to 25) on multiple foes from range in short order. Couple that with condi sigil like torment and that is burn plus 3 cover conditions with ease.

@Nordic Natedog.4360 said:Here is one example from the other day. I slowed it down to better see the ticks in action. Once setup, all it really takes is scepter 2 and sword of justice to put 10+ stacks of burning and 10+ vulnerability (often max out to 25) on multiple foes from range in short order. Couple that with condi sigil like torment and that is burn plus 3 cover conditions with ease.

Imagine if u have 2 deamon revs with mace -.-..... one alone is deadly on those situations, just a few of us once cleaned a Zerg tha mass stacked on lord same cell.... since they decided to ignore us like bosses, they tough stack n spam was safe thing to do, once condinwent rampant deamon can reach 30- 40 plus torment stacks when the condi cleanse stop.

@LetoII.3782 said:

It was a herald of things to come.The game didn't have much 5 figure ranged aoe until it came out.

Yeah something about heavy armor trains, PVT and limited boon corruption may have contributed slightly to that...

@Justine.6351 said:

It was a herald of things to come.The game didn't have much 5 figure ranged aoe until it came out.

Yeah something about heavy armor trains, PVT

Minstrels added to that. Those old damage dealers like ptv guard and DD thief would hardly make a dent in modern Minstrels gear.

limited boon corruption may have contributed slightly to that...

Vanilla necro has plenty of corrupt, and has been a specialty build since the first months of the game. Corrupt necro was a pick team choice tho as opposed to the more popular wellomancer. In fact, 'nilla corrupt is STILL a good choice for single target work.

@LetoII.3782 said:

Yeah something about heavy armor trains, PVT

Minstrels added to that. Those old damage dealers like ptv guard and DD thief would hardly make a dent in modern Minstrels gear.

limited boon corruption may have contributed
slightly
to that...

Vanilla necro has plenty of corrupt, and has been a specialty build since the first months of the game. Corrupt necro was a pick team choice tho as opposed to the more popular wellomancer. In fact, 'nilla corrupt is STILL a good choice for single target work.

Nah man, they have buffed core corrupts A LOT since those days, namely axe 3, spite gm trait and scepter. And there are many more glass specs in zerging now a days with scourge, rev, spellbreaker, staff weavers and soon to be more burn guards. Back then there was staff ele blowing people up by jumping into an elite form for huge power spike.

Roughly 6k burn ticks has always been what we expected & calculated with when fighting condi meta zergs (popular during HoT era). Obviously, we had to change our builds & setups to counter exactly those zergs back then. Always watching your frontliners health incase u need to quickly cleanse those 6k drops.

It is abit much i agree, and nobody should be expected to sit glued to the screen like it was a fast paced arcade action game incase that happens when not even in melee range & normal blocking/dodging wont do anything against it for most classes.

But it lead to a bunch of new abilities & skills to help clean stuff easier, although not for everyone. Most condi cleaning seems to be severely limited in a number of ways, such as having hefty cooldowns compared to an attackers condition application proc rate (as the video above also shows) & also having to equip those cleaning abilities, or swap out sigils that are otherwise completely useless in almost all other encounters.

We should have more condi cleaners merged with other useful abilities, so that it will always actually do something semi decent even without conditions. Perhaps even a global "special action key" condi cleanse or a resistance boon that everyone has default in wvw, not over powerful, but usable as a defense counter once in a while (just a few random ideas here).

I would still like to see condition damage as a balanced & viable damage method & tactic, it does add more spice to combat. But causes alot of headaches when unbalanced over the top condition burst stacking on a few skills here & there still exist (rangers "sharpening stone" can also apply condition burst stacking on target, but bleeding is obviously not as intense as burning stacks).

A method to limit all these condition stack bursting "loop holes" could be done via a simple condition application threshold ratio.

You could for example permit a maximum of 3 initial stacks of any single damaging condition on a target, then the target gets a "condition stack threshold timer" so additional stacks can only be generated at a maximum rate of +1 stack per second from there & upward.

This would hard limit that condition burst dps curve nicely (as the devs wanted it to be). This would basically enforce a "balance" to condition stack bursting all across the game, without the need to adjust every single individual skill all over again (& also fix potential loop holes in the future).

But also condition dmg would prolly have to be pumped up a little bit for it still to remain a viable and interesting tactic. Perhaps all this would generate too much server CPU time? I dunno.

PS: There was a condition patch in the early GW2 days that enabled conditions to critically hit. It was later removed from the game, but there is no mention of it in any of the patch notes that I could find. It's mysteriously gone from gw2 history.. but it was tested & perhaps could be a potential idea for the future :P

@"hugeboss.5432" said:A method to limit all these condition stack bursting "loop holes" could be done via a simple condition application threshold ratio.

You could for example permit a maximum of 3 initial stacks of any single damaging condition on a target, then the target gets a "condition stack threshold timer" so additional stacks can only be generated at a maximum rate of +1 stack per second from there & upward.

This would hard limit that condition burst dps curve nicely (as the devs wanted it to be). This would basically enforce a "balance" to condition stack bursting all across the game, without the need to adjust every single individual skill all over again (& also fix potential loop holes in the future).

But also condition dmg would prolly have to be pumped up a little bit for it still to remain a viable and interesting tactic. Perhaps all this would generate too much server CPU time? I dunno.

PS: There was a condition patch in the early GW2 days that enabled conditions to critically hit. It was later removed from the game, but there is no mention of it in any of the patch notes that I could find. It's mysteriously gone from gw2 history.. but it was tested & perhaps could be a potential idea for the future :P

This all dumbs down the game. It is also like all the stupid save your own butt auto-procs out there. As though a user can't learn to hit a button to save themselves. As someone who has been playing burn guard/ burn hybrid guard for the better part of 5 years, there is plenty of condi cleanse in the game. People just chose to bring other things in their arsenal. Take my setup for instance. I literally have 1 active condi cleanse (my f2) which I can only use once with a fairly long cd. I also have my blocks clearing condi but that is one per block. I still very rarely die to most condition builds. The only ones that are a pain are like troll condi deadeye that stack extremely long duration conditions (i.e. poison in their case) on and run away (repeat if I do get some cleanse). My main effectiveness in fights is medium to large groupings. So if people actually spread out more, they would be hurt much much less.

As for the one who talked about 2 revs stacking 30-40 torment on group in lords, I could get higher stacks but people usually are down well before getting the max I can put out. And since conditions automatically get cleansed when people go into downstate, I only run 50% burn duration. I have hit a 20k burn tick (roughly 37 stacks of burning) on a T3 camp supervisor before. One poor soul thought they would be safe among the guards there and died virtually instantly.