Should arena net start working on a Cantha Expansion for GW2?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad to say, but I honestly believe that's too late. As much as the writing is still on point, there is clearly a big hole in the budget when you consider all the aggressive monetization. The sadder part is, if the game had kept it's standart for content release, there wouldn't be nearly as much pushback on their monetization attempts. As it stands, their practice standarts visibly got lowered, and it appears their ethics were downsized. I personally believe trust took a really big hit of late. An expansion should have been released at the peak of players' goodwill. It wasn't, for reasons that have been repeated ad nauseam on the forum. I can only hope that either their practices turn off so many players they're forced to go back on the way they handle money, or ironically and perhaps idealistically that they succeed enough to get back in control of their studio and start producing work as they used to. The second is obviously wishful thinking from someone who wished any industry was able to think "Okay, I got enough to do what I want, I dont need to squeeze more", which is obviously at odd with... any industry.

@Dravyn.4671 said:I don't get half the replies in this thread. I just came back to the game and there's people everywhere.

Yes. But... game forums are always full of doom & gloom. It is what the forums seem to be for - all games. One of my favorite examples is Ultima Online - they have had doom & gloom posts prophesying the imminent death of the game since 1997 ha ha

I would say we do not need an expansion for Cantha. The next Living World Season could be Cantha. Just open the land and give us the beautiful scenery. With all this talk of dragons in the game, surely one can be an oriental dragon. Not just my mini-dragon...

@Tukaram.8256 said:

@"Dravyn.4671" said:I don't get half the replies in this thread. I just came back to the game and there's people everywhere.

Yes. But... game forums are always full of doom & gloom. It is what the forums seem to be for - all games. One of my favorite examples is Ultima Online - they have had doom & gloom posts prophesying the imminent death of the game since 1997 ha ha

I would say we do not need an expansion for Cantha. The next Living World Season could be Cantha. Just open the land and give us the beautiful scenery. With all this talk of dragons in the game, surely one can be an oriental dragon. Not just my mini-dragon...

Wasn't Mordremoth pretty much that ? ...and he came around just as the game was being released in China IIRC.

https://st3.depositphotos.com/1809653/17508/v/1600/depositphotos_175087308-stock-illustration-japanese-style-dragon-illustration-designed.jpg

Although, he lacked legs ( or talons ) vestigial or otherwise...

I don't see why it has to be an expansion, but if we see anything significant having to do with Cantha, it better happen after Icebrood Saga and make sense for the story. Give the Norn and Charr a freakin' spotlight for once, tired of everything being about humans.

Don't forget, there's still primordious after Jormag, and possibly Bubbles.They cannot end GW2 with Jormag.Will be a huge disappointment.As for an expac; it doesn't have to be an expac, they can well keep doing LS.I think a lot of people would like to see cantha though.But I can't see them making two separate maps just like GW1.They have to come up with some sort of storyline that something magically moved cantha into the unending ocean, somewhere between the fire islands and scavengers causeway.Hey, this is gw; anything is possible.If they can come up with a torch made of ice, lmao, Cantha can certainly be translocated to tyria.

@Tukaram.8256 said:

@Dravyn.4671 said:I don't get half the replies in this thread. I just came back to the game and there's people everywhere.

UO had little competition. Now days new MMOs come out all the time. Many recent Gen MMOs had same doom post that were ignored and those games declined ot straight up failed, such as Rift, Warhammer, Current WoW, Darkfall, Wildstar, Archeage, Tera, Aion, etc etc

@SoulGuardian.6203 said:Don't forget, there's still primordious after Jormag, and possibly Bubbles.They cannot end GW2 with Jormag.Will be a huge disappointment.As for an expac; it doesn't have to be an expac, they can well keep doing LS.I think a lot of people would like to see cantha though.But I can't see them making two separate maps just like GW1.They have to come up with some sort of storyline that something magically moved cantha into the endless sea, somewhere between the fire islands and scavengers causeway.Hey, this is gw; anything is possible.If they can come up with a torch made of ice, lmao, Cantha can certainly be translocated to tyria.

I can imagine Bubbles being under cantha or having the power to derive lands (such as cantha) to migrate cantha into the unending ocean and then we have cantha in the same map than anything else ! Excelsior !!!

@Nath Forge Tempete.1645 said:

@SoulGuardian.6203 said:Don't forget, there's still primordious after Jormag, and possibly Bubbles.They cannot end GW2 with Jormag.Will be a huge disappointment.As for an expac; it doesn't have to be an expac, they can well keep doing LS.I think a lot of people would like to see cantha though.But I can't see them making two separate maps just like GW1.They have to come up with some sort of storyline that something magically moved cantha into the endless sea, somewhere between the fire islands and scavengers causeway.Hey, this is gw; anything is possible.If they can come up with a torch made of ice, lmao, Cantha can certainly be translocated to tyria.

I can imagine Bubbles being under cantha or having the power to derive lands (such as cantha) to migrate cantha into the unending ocean and then we have cantha in the same map than anything else ! Excelsior !!!

If done well and properly, it could be an awesome story; perhaps even the best so far.GW2 still has a lot of potential. It's just a matter of being well executed.

Adding to it, there could be a huge underwater map; perhaps under the jade sea? Where bubbles sleeps.GW1 had a load of dragons in Jade Sea.Kinda fits.

@Liston.9708 said:

@Liston.9708 said:As much as I’d like an expansion, I don’t think there is the player base to support it. The gam is 7 years old..

What does a game's age have to do with its quality of content? If the expansion is great it will be played. People will hear or read good things about it and pour in to try it out.

@Liston.9708 said:As much as I’d like an expansion, I don’t think there is the player base to support it. The gam is 7 years old..

What does a game's age have to do with its quality of content? If the expansion is great it will be played. People will hear or read good things about it and pour in to try it out.

The game engine is ancient . Not going to pull in new players on a 7 year old game. I personally would still be playing, but expacs cost money. How will it be paid for with current player base?

Not entirely true. Lotro pulled in so many people recently it had to create an extra server and that's 11 years old. Even saying that, the population is still compartively small vs other MMO's and yet it's still pulling out an expac this month. GW2 has a larger and healthier playerbase at least for pve. It would have no issues selling an expac and would easily pull back lapsed players even for a short term.

So yeah, engine age isn't relevant. An expac will sell esp a Canthan based one

@"Neural.1824" said:Do you guys have a google calendar reminder set up to say "hey, there hasn't been a post about Cantha in over 10months!" ?Not that I'm against the idea, but this has been requested for years now, and last I recall, Anet was pretty firm that they weren't going there.

Now you're just asking for more threads lol. Do you know where you read that? I'm genuinely curious because I don't remember Anet saying a whole lot about Cantha in general for GW2

Due to the lack of options I voted no. But I am actually indifferent.

The first element is if they should make an expansion. They recently made a decision to take another path. I know some people react very bitter, but personally I want to see them proof the point that the game doesn't need expansions to be successful. So an expansion plan should be long term.

If they do I would appreciate if they would inform us they plan on going that path again, but not what the content would be. With Utopia they had massive outcry when it was cancelled, just cause people knew about it. They need the artistic freedom to change paths whenever they feel the need for it.