Primordus' Domains

Rikimaru.7890

Fire and Conflagration eh? May I ask what is the difference?Conflagration by definition is a huge destructive fire, so it's size then? Well given how huge Primordus is I wouldn't expect anything else than it causing a conflagration.I mean seriously ANET anything would be better if you have no idea left, like Primordus could be the Elder Dragon of Fire and Puppies.

EDIT: I have been doing some thinking about it and I turned my attention to Jormag, as Primordus is Jormag's weakness and vice versa.So shouldn't both their dominions be opposites? Fire is opposite of Ice. In that case if Jormag's dominions are Ice and persuasion then Primordus' should be the opposite i.e. Fire and the other could be something like SUBMISSION Go ahead ANET you may use my simple yet fitting idea I won't be mad.

given resent developments it apears that the dragon's second domain seems more to be about their tactical behavior towards "lesser" races. (zhaitan operates from the shadows and let's his minions do all the work and mordremoth tries to mind control ppl) rather then any actual magical field. so Conflagration could mean that pri goes for a scorched earth approach (which wouldn't be to much of a stretch given that pri primarily makes his minions from minerals and fire rather then soley through corrupting organic creatures).

or anet has no clue how their magic system actually operates and are just grasping at straws

The new domains don't really make sense compared to the old ones. Mordremoth's Mind domain was 100% a magical domain, as Kralkatorrik took it over in Season 3. So it isn't merely personality traits, even though that's what the new domains seem to be. We also see Mordremoth using some shadowy stuff (Primordus too), implying that's a full out magical domain too. Zhaitan does use shadow stuff but it's never truly distinct from the other death stuff.

But how Conflagration, Fury, and Persuasion can function as magical domains is truly up in the air. More so how Fury fits into anything we saw of Kralkatorrik, and how Persuasion differs from Mind.

@"Fenom.9457" said:Conflagration can also mean war, like he’s good at war and has tactical understanding

True but secondary meanings require context to be clear. Like "fish" when you say fish you usually mean the noun i.e. the animal, however it can also be a verb as in going fishing.

Conflagration also mean "revolt" or fight, in really also mean that in english, but for some reason conflagration=fire lost that meaning in more romanic(latin) inherited languages(portuguese, spanish), so in the popular use on countries that use these languages rarely someone associate conflagration with fire(but in dictionaries of these languages conflagration is still defined as synonym of fire too), in the Anglo-Saxon world the inverse occurs.

Anyway its continue a bit redudant because since ancient times "fire" is associated with "revolt"... "the fire of revolution"... thats why that word mean the 2 things. ...

So i guess the origin of redudancy is some Anet employee more familiar with latin origin languages than english language, so that word doesnt seems too redundant to him.

In old posts I explained something like Palawa Joko's surname "Ignatius", ppl in the anglo-saxon world tends to associate with fire, meanwhile ppl in mediterranean/latin world associate it with a Saint name, anyway "ignis" is really a prefix for fire in latin, in more far away countries like Brazil the word turned into "Inácio" losing the "g" from ignatius.

it could almost mean war like above, or any violent event with lots of deaths, like holocaust, extermination, massacre, or whatever word to describe such event; so anet may want Primordus to be a mass murderer

Cambridge Dictionary

• a large fire that causes a lot of damage
  • a large and violent event, such as a war, involving a lot of people

@crepuscular.9047 said:it could almost mean war like above, or any violent event with lots of deaths, like holocaust, extermination, massacre, or whatever word to describe such event; so anet may want Primordus to be a mass murderer

Cambridge Dictionary
  • a large fire that causes a lot of damage
  • a large and violent event, such as a war, involving a lot of people

Considering it just creates minions and doesn't normally bother with corrupting living things, being omnicidal kinda works. That would also make it the exact opposite of Jormag, who not only has the standard physically corrupted minions, but non-physically corrupted followers.

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:Conflagration also mean "revolt" or fight, in really also mean that in english, but for some reason conflagration=fire lost that meaning in more romanic(latin) inherited languages(portuguese, spanish), so in the popular use on countries that use these languages rarely someone associate conflagration with fire(but in dictionaries of these languages conflagration is still defined as synonym of fire too), in the Anglo-Saxon world the inverse occurs.

Anyway its continue a bit redudant because since ancient times "fire" is associated with "revolt"... "the fire of revolution"... thats why that word mean the 2 things. ...

So i guess the origin of redudancy is some Anet employee more familiar with latin origin languages than english language, so that word doesnt seems too redundant to him.

In old posts I explained something like Palawa Joko's surname "Ignatius", ppl in the anglo-saxon world tends to associate with fire, meanwhile ppl in mediterranean/latin world associate it with a Saint name, anyway "ignis" is really a prefix for fire in latin, in more far away countries like Brazil the word turned into "Inácio" losing the "g" from ignatius.

This automatically makes me think we're gonna see a resurgence of Flame touched Dredge.........

As for Joko...... I almost feel its part of a one off in-joke by the writers. However, I can't fathom how deep the joke goes, given the Lore writers really like going for obscure references and easter eggs made into twists of pop culture/tropes modern audiences are otherwise familiar with. The part that got may attention is an old trend of giving serious characters "unfitting" middle names, or have silly real names that aren't well known due to their alias being more prominent. This fits given its never been brought up that Tyrian (as in world) has an established middle naming convention among any of the races.... and seemingly out of left field Joko has one that doesn't play immediately to his design theme, while also sounding kind of comical to modern western sensibilities.

@starlinvf.1358 said:

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:Conflagration also mean "revolt" or fight, in really also mean that in english, but for some reason
conflagration=fire
lost that meaning in more romanic(latin) inherited languages(portuguese, spanish), so in the popular use on countries that use these languages rarely someone associate conflagration with fire(but in dictionaries of these languages conflagration is still defined as synonym of fire too), in the Anglo-Saxon world the inverse occurs.

This automatically makes me think we're gonna see a resurgence of Flame touched Dredge.........

As for Joko...... I almost feel its part of a one off in-joke by the writers. However, I can't fathom how deep the joke goes, given the Lore writers really like going for obscure references and easter eggs made into twists of pop culture/tropes modern audiences are otherwise familiar with. The part that got may attention is an old trend of giving serious characters "unfitting" middle names, or have silly real names that aren't well known due to their alias being more prominent. This fits given its never been brought up that Tyrian (as in world) has an established middle naming convention among any of the races.... and seemingly out of left field Joko has one that doesn't play immediately to his design theme, while also sounding kind of comical to modern western sensibilities.

yeah make sense... about naming convention, I'm not into "diversity" thing, but to Tyria world its does good, because fantasy novels with only anglo-german-nordic names and a dwarf named "olaf" becames very cliché. at least this in Tyria world building atm is well dosed.

@ugrakarma.9416 said:

@ugrakarma.9416 said:Conflagration also mean "revolt" or fight, in really also mean that in english, but for some reason
conflagration=fire
lost that meaning in more romanic(latin) inherited languages(portuguese, spanish), so in the popular use on countries that use these languages rarely someone associate conflagration with fire(but in dictionaries of these languages conflagration is still defined as synonym of fire too), in the Anglo-Saxon world the inverse occurs.

yeah make sense... about naming convention, I'm not into "diversity" thing, but to Tyria world its does good, because fantasy novels with only anglo-german-nordic names and a dwarf named "olaf" becames very cliché. at least this in Tyria world building atm is well dosed.

Well..... consider why those are so common in fantasy to begin with. Most of Western culture, written history, religion and mythology has roots in those cultures, and a LOT of co-opting of their myths and legends to help convert conquered peoples to fall in line new rulers. We also have a huge fascination with Greek mythology, largely due to familiarity breed from generations of adaption and retelling to keep relevance.

@"perilisk.1874" said:Considering it just creates minions and doesn't normally bother with corrupting living things, being omnicidal kinda works.

Fun fact: In an interview back in 2007, when we first got our lore on the Elder Dragons and what Primordus and The Great Destroyer truly were, we were told that The Great Destroyer's job as Primordus herald was not only to wake it up, but to "prepare the way by wiping out all surface life".