RIP DUNGEONS

Kalysha.4571

As wvw and pvp, dungeons are in extinction...why every tuesday some new items on gemstore but everything else is neglected!? Why?? Why dont provide ingame content, revive some game modes, restructure it or make unique events related to. Not everyone is keen to pve...but even pve lacks content.

You must be new to this game. Dungeons were abandoned years ago and the topic already discussed to death. And no, they won't change it due to this post. Statements were set in stone, sadly.The lack of PvE content is nothing new and a very critical aspect for this game's future that everyone is aware of - at least from player side.

It's been what.. over 5 years since the last (non bug fix maybe) change to dungeons and you only just now woke up to the fact that dungeons are legacy content? Seriously confused how this could even happen, especially since you claim to not be a new player.

Look at Fractals. They're dungeon content now.

Dungeons were replaced with Fractals which are far more popular and successful tbh and there is new fractal and raid content being developed atm according to recent dev interviews if my memory is accurate.

I do wish for more traditional dungeon content though, I enjoyed Gw1's take on Dungeons as well as the elite dungeons which don't exist in Gw2.I much prefer Dungeons over Fractals too if i'm honest, sure the mini dungons fractals offer are fun and enjoyable but it's just not the same experience.

I like that traditional longer dungeon with multiple bosses experience but Gw2 doesn't have that unfortunately.Would be nice if they did add a couple of elite dungeons to the game, even if only a small handful.But there's little to no chance of that ever happening at this point.

@Kalysha.4571 said:As wvw and pvp, dungeons are in extinction...why every tuesday some new items on gemstore but everything else is neglected!? Why?? Why dont provide ingame content, revive some game modes, restructure it or make unique events related to. Not everyone is keen to pve...but even pve lacks content.

Because the devs have themselves admitted that they do not possess the knowledge nor the technical programming skills to fix the absolute maddening horror show that is the dungeon spaghetti code. Everyone responsible for the original dungeons are no longer employed with Anet, thus you can be certain there will never be anything done to them anymore. Maybe you should've been a bit more informed if you are indeed such a veteran player. Have a good day.

@mindcircus.1506 said:Someone needs to explain to me what dungeons had that fractals dont.Because I just dont understand the constant whining about them.

Dungeons were more about speed running (as in actually moving), with a 5-10 second burst of dps. Fractals are a lot more about speed killing. Both can be good, but they are quite different.

If you never experienced dungeons pre-hot, I can understand why you would think the two are so similar. Most dungeon groups you have nowadays, none of the players are weapon swapping to move faster, or swapping utility skills, or pinging blast finishers/stealth fields to quickly coordinate with each other. But these things really did use to be common. It use to be challenging just to keep up with a group running through TA/CA/Arah.

Comparing a group that does cm+t4s to an old speed run dungeon group, they were very different skill sets.

@thrag.9740 said:

@mindcircus.1506 said:Someone needs to explain to me what dungeons had that fractals dont.Because I just dont understand the constant whining about them.

Dungeons were more about speed running (as in actually moving), with a 5-10 second burst of dps. Fractals are a lot more about speed killing. Both can be good, but they are quite different.

If you never experienced dungeons pre-hot, I can understand why you would think the two are so similar. Most dungeon groups you have nowadays, none of the players are weapon swapping to move faster, or swapping utility skills, or pinging blast finishers/stealth fields to quickly coordinate with each other. But these things really did use to be common. It use to be challenging just to keep up with a group running through TA/CA/Arah.

Comparing a group that does cm+t4s to an old speed run dungeon group, they were very different skill sets.

Thanks for a well thought out answer.Functionally I don't see a ton of difference between Deepstone and an AC path. Other than the fact that Deepstone is just a better designed experience.Sounds like the changes are more a function of the game's power creep than the content itself though.There's no need to blast fire fields with a Herald or Druid in the group, a Soulbeast can easily cap might on itself ect.Always seemed to me that other than the skips they were essentially the same content, and that if Anet had the tools to go back and fix the content many of those skips would be closed.But I do get your point.

@mindcircus.1506 said:There's no need to blast fire fields with a Herald or Druid in the group, a Soulbeast can easily cap might on itself ect.

There actually is. By the time the Druid would reach 25 Stacks of might the Boss is already dead. Its way better to prestack while you are waiting for the dialogue to finish or the boss to turn hostile.The groups that would speedrun dungeons also wouldnt really take a herald because it doesnt bring anything unique. Might, Fury and Swiftness are easily covered by Eles or Guardians. The later is imo the best class for dungeons, since it also brings a ton of utility and quickness.The Dungeon breakbars arent exactly big either. Everythings 600 and can easily be broken.

Explorable dungeons were meant to be our competitive endgame content. They had multiple hard paths, difficult bosses, they took hours depending on the dungeon in question, etc. while Fractals started as quick and easy PvE instances with snit-bid content and a variable difficulty setting. There was a noticeable difference between both types of content back then. Fractals was where I went with casual friends and dungeons mostly with my speedclearish semi-static.However, content and communities alike are bound to evolve over time. Players went from being clueless and undergeared to actually knowing what they are doing which turned Dungeons into farmable speedclear content for most players (one dungeon at a time). Fractal levels on the other hand were extended and reworked again and again. The newer additions were designed to be longer and more complex. The whole Agony debacle and all of that. There was even going to be a Fractal Leaderboard at some point, for those who do not know. In short, they became more similar over time. All though, dungeons remainded the more popular PvE content for a very long time, at least from what I remember.And then suddenly raids were in the works or at least in their heads during the content drought prior to HoT. They had kind of abandoned or at least neglected both types of 5-man conent just like pretty much anything else in the game with most resources supposedly going towards the chinese release of the game. ArenaNet had to make a decision about future path of competitive PvE content in this game. They decided to go with the more open, more modern and more easy accessible design over the already outdated dungeons. Dungeon rewards had been completely outdated even back then, etc. etc.

I always hoped to see dungeons return. Always hoped we would see new paths to old dungeons like TA Aether path. They might have to completely redo dungeons from the ground up to bring them up to date with the Guildwars 2 of 2019. Given the slow release schedules of the current instanced content - that seems very unlikely.

@Teratus.2859 said:Dungeons were replaced with Fractals which are far more popular and successful tbh

Probably. But Fractals have daily rewards and are the only way to do the legendary precursor collections, so there is way more incentive for fractals compared to dungeons. Before those were added to the game with Heart of Thorns, Fractals weren't popular at all.

and there is new fractal and raid content being developed atm according to recent dev interviews if my memory is accurate.

Yes they did say that. All I read from that is that we'll get new fractal and raid content at an unspecified time in the far far future!

@Digit.1823 said:

@"Kalysha.4571" said:As wvw and pvp, dungeons are in extinction...why every tuesday some new items on gemstore but everything else is neglected!? Why?? Why dont provide ingame content, revive some game modes, restructure it or make unique events related to. Not everyone is keen to pve...but even pve lacks content.

Because the devs have themselves admitted that they do not possess the knowledge nor the technical programming skills to fix the absolute maddening horror show that is the dungeon spaghetti code. Everyone responsible for the original dungeons are no longer employed with Anet, thus you can be certain there will never be anything done to them anymore. Maybe you should've been a bit more informed if you are indeed such a veteran player. Have a good day.

thats anets fault. they are solely to blame for the mess their company is now in. solely to blame for the current state of the game. while the game is not dead YET im giving it another 2 maybe 3 years. the time to " fix" this game is almost up.

At least, dungeons should occur more often in Daily Achievement instead of daily bounty ou daily world boss; 2~3 times per week.Otherwise rewards are not so bad, Reward from the 8 paths + paths themself and lootbags + tokens ... issue is the people willing to do them doesn't know the tricks to rush, contrary to people who doesn't do dungeons anymore.

@Kalysha.4571 said:LUL ye im not new and is because of people like you that anet doesnt care about doing anything...sadly

Um, no. People like him have NOTHING to do with Anet not caring about doing anything. Anet also DOES care about doing things.

Anet told us why they aren't doing dungeons. Maybe you don't like that reason, but it certainly had nothing to do with 'not caring'.

@Kalysha.4571 said:As wvw and pvp, dungeons are in extinction...why every tuesday some new items on gemstore but everything else is neglected!? Why?? Why dont provide ingame content, revive some game modes, restructure it or make unique events related to. Not everyone is keen to pve...but even pve lacks content.

Do you think you could do it better? Or you paid cash so you have right to get everything you want

@Kalysha.4571 said:LUL ye im not new and is because of people like you that anet doesnt care about doing anything...sadly

And why you raging on others? Chill my friend

there is enough and to much dungeon content. Ofc sad what some dungeons is to hard, for example arah is not possible finish wiht most parties.But mostly other dungeons a great. For example for dungeon we make only guild members parties, try find you guild for runs and be happy.

Exlporing dungeons back to the early GW2 days was amazing ! back to the day where exotic gear was not so common ... and especially with their entire sets of armor and weapon skins .

The way the reward works is amazing (back to that day) and motivated me a lot to play that content to be honest. It's just that with no new dungeons added and the arrival of ascended gear... rewards felt a bit too low. The gold at the end got buffed a lot but then nerfed and nerfed again once they revealed focusing more on fractals and leaving the dungeon part as it is currently.

It's something I would never feel with fractals right now . It's simple ... fractals are even more boring than dungeons ... and they got added way after dungeons.

How dare you talk about legacy code! EVERYONE knows that this can never be modified because its WAY to hard it would take to much time.... Anet has us trained to regurgitate that nonsense every time something old is mentioned. I am tired of that answer. Seems anything that anyone wants these days is just to hard.

Everyone wants what they specifically want. Just because it does not matter to you does not mean it does not matter to me. I also am getting tired of the line "I would rather them work on..." The fact of the matter is none of these hypothetical projects are getting worked on. It is most of the time something completely different that no one asked for.

How about fix what you have and then move on to the new stuff. Every thing in this game has a mediocre feel to it. I believe that is because they never come back to polish what they have released. My rant is not specifically aimed at dungeons but more so at how we can never update anything outside of class adjustments. I guess the term legacy code means anything that has been released to the public and they are not currently working on. So once something is released to that pasture its left there to die.

Now to get back on track here I believe the dungeon paths should have been added to fractals back when fractals were released. But it was too hard then and even harder now. That legacy code just bites us in the rear over and over again.