Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

@"Shouryu.4169" said:hi, any of you guys installed linux on nvidia mx150 ? i've just installed gw2 via the friendly installer (https://github.com/liberodark/GW2-Wine), but the frame rate is really unstable 5 to 60 fps.

my pc specs : i7 8th gen, nvidia mx150, 16gb ram, 512ssdis the installer https://github.com/liberodark/GW2-Wine based on vulkan version ?

Hi, yes the installer version is on par with the zipped vulkan (d9vk) version. I'm not very experienced with Nvidia on laptops, haven't tested the game on it either. Are you sure it's making use of the Nvidia GPU?

Need primusrun or optirun for nvidia in laptop also need a arch or manjaro for good nvidia driver have possibility to make nvidia by default https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Optimus_Manager.And sorry but the mx 150 is bad graphique cards is not for gaming : https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-MX150-0-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050/m332822vs3650

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

@"Elevate.7503" said:Due to the "xrandr" issue @ArmoredVehicle.2849 pointed out I decided to switch to I3 for my tests. After doing so all issues are resolved.

Resolution Steps
  • running ./setup.sh again and not copying in d3d9.dll file
  • switch to i3 (or any other X based DM)

At this point, what are some other
things
I could try to increase FPS. I imagine it boils down to graphics but perhaps there are some "general" guidelines that have been discovered, running Windowed Fullscreen or setting Shadows to Medium. It seems a bit slower than the gallium-nine version i've been running with.

Also, how can I run add-ons (mount and arcdps...maybe hooks as well)?
  • Is it any different than an override for wine?

Glad you got it running! It seems your issues was Wayland related.

You mentioned "not copying d3d9.dll", which one are you referring to? The game already comes with the D9VK based one.

Regarding Addons: Mount one, I presume you're referring to the Wheel selection for easy access, I haven't tested that, no idea how it works either. As for arcdps I created a small script to take care of that and it's found in the "arcdps_easysetup_tool". Download arcdps from the official site and put the arcdps files in the "put_arcdps_files_here" folder and then run the "arcdps_setup.sh" file.

Note: Currently there's a caveat with installing arcdps though, once installed there's no easy uninstall feature (which reminds me I should do that for the next release). For now you can however uninstall it manually using the same method as described on the official website.

Regarding performance: I've tried my best to include all the environment variables which might help performance however there are things (which help) beyond my control such as other programs on your system that might take their share of CPU usage and affect the game.

For example, to avoid performance loss you could take advantage of the 16 threads. You can limit the game to the first 8 threads, while other programs such as your browser, discord, audio player and other programs to the other 8 (this is done using the 'taskset' program.)

one thing: before you play: quit chrome/chromium. Not only is it a fat beast, it also steals cpu cycles like mad.about arcdps: if you only use area-stats (for squad dps comparism), and ping/gfps it is mostly fine. When I do wvw, game crashs on me after 2-2.5h. If I turn on more, the crash happens a lot earlier. shrug Since 2h is also the time when my concentration drops, it is not THAT bad for me. But mileage might vary.

Another thing that really helps with performance: don't use pulseaudio. Sound straight to alsa not only sounds best, but gives a decent increase. And for the love of all that is sweet and cuddly: don't be surprised if performance goes down using ts and/or discord. These hogs are insane.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:one thing: before you play: quit chrome/chromium. Not only is it a fat beast, it also steals cpu cycles like mad.about arcdps: if you only use area-stats (for squad dps comparism), and ping/gfps it is mostly fine. When I do wvw, game crashs on me after 2-2.5h. If I turn on more, the crash happens a lot earlier. shrug Since 2h is also the time when my concentration drops, it is not THAT bad for me. But mileage might vary.

I've noticed this especially when playing youtube videos at the same time. With a high core/thread count cpu you can do both by assigning threads manually for each process, for example I've setup my system like this:

taskset -c 0-7 for GW2taskset -c 8-15 for firefox,discord etc

Really helps, even when recording

EDIT:

I've updated the packages to v1.8.3, this is a small maintenance release.

Changelog:

• Updated the D9VK components.
  • Added a script to easily uninstall arcdps, this can be done by running the ‘arcdps_uninstall.sh’ file.

any of you having issue playing with latest patch ? game crashes everytime i try to launch it. this is the log :Running /home/user/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/ge-protonified-nofshack-4.9-x86_64/bin/wine /home/user/Games/guild-wars-2/drive_c/Program Files/Guild Wars 2/GW2-64.exe -autologinWaiting on childrenAll children goneExit with returncode 5

@"Shouryu.4169" said:any of you having issue playing with latest patch ? game crashes everytime i try to launch it. this is the log :Running /home/user/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/ge-protonified-nofshack-4.9-x86_64/bin/wine /home/user/Games/guild-wars-2/drive_c/Program Files/Guild Wars 2/GW2-64.exe -autologinWaiting on childrenAll children goneExit with returncode 5

After the game's bugfix patches from yesterday it's been smooth sailing again, I even updated the D9VK build to latest version from master branch.

Hey guys, I don't know if this method has been mentioned for DV9K and GW2, but you can add a custom launch in Steam for GW2, and then add PROTON_USE_D9VK=1 %command% to the launch options. This should enable both DV9K and proton and lead to an FPS improvement. It seems to be much more stable in Guild Wars. I haven't had the chance to check it out in GW2.

@"Shouryu.4169" said:hi, any of you guys installed linux on nvidia mx150 ? i've just installed gw2 via the friendly installer (
), but the frame rate is really unstable 5 to 60 fps.

my pc specs : i7 8th gen, nvidia mx150, 16gb ram, 512ssdis the installer
based on vulkan version ?

Hi, yes the installer version is on par with the zipped vulkan (d9vk) version. I'm not very experienced with Nvidia on laptops, haven't tested the game on it either. Are you sure it's making use of the Nvidia GPU?

nvidia only added vulkan PRIME offloading support last month.

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1060977/announcements-and-news/-linux-solaris-and-freebsd-driver-435-17-beta-release-/

Yes, Nvidia support is so bad that you could only start using vulkan on almost all Nvidia laptops last month.

I never use forums, but I logged in just to tell you that I am very grateful for this!I'm using Ubuntu, can confirm this works very well.Previously tried running GW2 from Lutris with d9vk, 32-bit and 64-bit and none of them worked nearly as well as this. I am talking about going from 13 FPS on low settings with the versions available from Lutris to easily a stable 50-60 and sometimes 100+ FPS on ultra settings with this configuration.Absolutely mindblown, thank you very much! I was not going to give up linux for GW2, but now I don't have to.

Package v1.8.4 update:
I've updated the package to make it more functional with addons, GW2Radial has been tested and working, even when loaded alongside arcdps. Furthermore I fixed a regression which prevented the game from launching if arcdps chainloaded other mods. Lastly, I've refined the arcdps install/uninstall scripts.

@"Nicodemus.1486" said:has anyone gotten the GW2 mount Radial overlay working with this? i've not been able to get any response from it.

https://github.com/Friendly0Fire/GW2Radial

thanks!

Do you wish to use GW2Radial only or alongside other addons (such as arcdps)?

@"Nicodemus.1486" said:for now i only want to use GW2Radial. thanks for this!

also, how should i best go about updating without having to reinstall everything?

Hi,For updates, extract the package in a new folder and run the setup.sh again, then to transfer the game files without re-downloading move everything from the old "data/drive_c/GW2" folder and into the new one.

As for getting GW2Radial to work, place the d3d9.dll in the game's "bin64" folder.

Hi! Long time lurker on the forums, been using this since your initial release.Thought it was time to drop by and just give a big thank you for all the work, this works better than any other solution I've tried (such as Lutris for example). Great work!Throwing in a small question as well, if I wanted to use GW2-hook for example, would I just install it the same way that I do on Windows, or is it unsupported?Again, thank you!

i've kinda used the tool ( graphic UI thing ) after getting the 1048576 things and restarted it and when i do ./run.sh in the terminal doesn't work ? I think I've might've screwed it up since its an old T430 with Intel graphics according to inxi -G

@"Subtractive.9830" said:Hi! Long time lurker on the forums, been using this since your initial release.Thought it was time to drop by and just give a big thank you for all the work, this works better than any other solution I've tried (such as Lutris for example). Great work!Throwing in a small question as well, if I wanted to use GW2-hook for example, would I just install it the same way that I do on Windows, or is it unsupported?Again, thank you!

Hi, I didn't test it to check if it works but I inspected the GW2-Hook files and it works the same way as arcdps and similar mods, by placing the custom d3d9.dll in the bin64 folder. If you're using my package this can be found "/data/drive_c/GW2/bin64" folder.

@"Kiso.8465" said:i've kinda used the tool ( graphic UI thing ) after getting the 1048576 things and restarted it and when i do ./run.sh in the terminal doesn't work ? I think I've might've screwed it up since its an old T430 with Intel graphics according to inxi -G

The UI installer you used is for modern systems that support Vulkan, which the T430 unfortunately does not. It's not all lost though, you can still play the game through the Legacy package which is aimed at older systems. This doesn't come with a GUI installer, the terminal based setup is however fairly straightforward - just unzip the archive, run "./setup.sh" and it will install, run the game with "./play.sh".

Let me know if you still get stuck :)

@"Kiso.8465" said:i've kinda used the tool ( graphic UI thing ) after getting the 1048576 things and restarted it and when i do ./run.sh in the terminal doesn't work ? I think I've might've screwed it up since its an old T430 with Intel graphics according to inxi -G

The UI installer you used is for modern systems that support Vulkan, which the T430 unfortunately does not. It's not all lost though, you can still play the game through the Legacy package which is aimed at older systems. This doesn't come with a GUI installer, the terminal based setup is however fairly straightforward - just unzip the archive, run "./setup.sh" and it will install, run the game with "./play.sh".

Let me know if you still get stuck :)

Uhm I've said in comment bellow that I used the old method and I can login and enter the character selection but the map loading takes more than 5 minutes and i'm not sure what the cause is ? HDD being bad or something?

@"Kiso.8465" said:Uhm I've said in comment bellow that I used the old method and I can login and enter the character selection but the map loading takes more than 5 minutes and i'm not sure what the cause is ? HDD being bad or something?

Ah ok, I wasn't sure what the old method was referring to. Anyhow, 5 minutes is quite a long time even for such a system, the HDD may cause that. However before going into that, have you downloaded the entire game data? Because if not, this can be a very possible cause for the slow loading.

If you wish to download it before playing you can run: "./play.sh -image".

@"Kiso.8465" said:Uhm I've said in comment bellow that I used the old method and I can login and enter the character selection but the map loading takes more than 5 minutes and i'm not sure what the cause is ? HDD being bad or something?

Ah ok, I wasn't sure what the old method was referring to. Anyhow, 5 minutes is quite a long time even for such a system, the HDD may cause that. However before going into that, have you downloaded the entire game data? Because if not, this can be a very possible cause for the slow loading.

I didn't cause whenever I turn it on to download it freezes quite a bit, so prolly something wrong with laptop but dno what

@Kiso.8465 said:

@Kiso.8465 said:Uhm I've said in comment bellow that I used the old method and I can login and enter the character selection but the map loading takes more than 5 minutes and i'm not sure what the cause is ? HDD being bad or something?

I didn't cause whenever I turn it on to download it freezes quite a bit, so prolly something wrong with laptop but dno what

The missing data may be the cause for the slow loading. In case you wish to check the HDD, look into reading the smart data from it.