New Mechanic Idea: Daily Map Bonuses

So myself and many others have noticed that many older maps such as HoT, LS3, and to some extent early LS4 maps, not to mention all the core maps are often empty and completing required group content can be very challenging. My idea is to create a rotating "auto" mechanic that assigns a bonus to a specific map or maps for a day that say doubles MF, increases karma/map currency drops and maybe provides bonus XP. The idea is that the bonus would be big enough to draw people to those maps but not so big as to be game breaking. Plus if the rotation was set on a schedule you could look ahead to when the map you need might be full. WHat do you guys think? Or is the consensus that the maps aren't dead and there are enough people since the Megaserver update?

To me it's less of a question of Mega servers and more of the fact that something like the Monthly rewards are dead. I know that they moved away from that in order to get the daily login rewards, but those are passive and not active ways of rewarding people. If you could put all of the Living World season 3 maps in a progressive event chain in a monthly you would see more people doing it if it gave them a bunch of the map rewards at the end of it. You could even do that with core area maps with their map bonuses. I know people would do it if they received 50 powerful blood among other Rewards at the end of the month or something like that. It's just symptomatic of the game having a hard time sending people to earlier content, just like any other MMO. However I don't think that it's an impossible problem to solve. I unfortunately don't think there's any desire and/or ability to focus on this app and read them at right now.

@FrigginPaco.4178 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Like the old monthly rewards, people would just farm them the first day.

I'd rather have that option if it meant I would have another goal in the game while I wait for the next updates. That's basically all we've got.

Except this will have little appeal to those that have no need for the rewards which is why they’re not on the maps in the first place.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Like the old monthly rewards, people would just farm them the first day.

I'd rather have that option if it meant I would have another goal in the game while I wait for the next updates. That's basically all we've got.

Except this will have little appeal to those that have no need for the rewards which is why they’re not on the maps in the first place.

If you remember how monthlies were structured in the past you would know that you didn't have to finish every single one and that there was a good chance you did some over others for your own personal preferences.

Also, you assume that this would be the only way that the month lease would work. It can probably be changed to be more modular and accommodating of multiple play styles. Some people completely ignored monthlies back when they were even available so I don't see why this wouldn't be treated any differently in that respect. Just the same as you don't have to do dailies you don't have to do anything really if you don't want to.

I guess maybe I wasn't clear in my suggestion, the idea wasn't to add "extra" daily or monthly style rewards but to add a buff to everyone in a specific map on a rotating basis. So for example Monday might be Jahai Bluffs day and and everyone in the map gains bonus XP, Mistonium and MF while playing in that map, Tues would be Dragons Stand day granting extra XP, MF, bonus Machete's and Crystalline Ore. It wouldn't be an achievement that could be ground out quick but a persistent buff like Volunteer's Blessing that applies while you are in that days maps.

Edit To be clear I liked and support the idea of monthlies that is just a different discussion

I liked the old monthly achievements. I'd love an updated iteration of that, to be honest. Requirements could simply be doing stuff in selected maps.Or, you could rotate lower level maps and turn them into high(er) level ones for a period of time: champs instead of veterans, increased loot, etc.Or, introduce map specific reward tracks - not unlike what we have in WvW and PvP - that would give just enough rewards to get people on the maps. No, the participation rewards we currently have are not enough.

I'm just pulling ideas out of my butt without any consideration of implementing them without breaking the game, but there you go.

Or, consider empty maps as an offline game.

@FrigginPaco.4178 said:

If you remember how monthlies were structured in the past you would know that you didn't have to finish every single one and that there was a good chance you did some over others for your own personal preferences.

And this has no bearing on what I said. People who don’t go to the maps anymore generally do so because they have no need as they’ve obtained all of the rewards that they want from those maps. Adding a monthly for those rewards will do nothing for them. How monthlies were structured in the past have no bearing on this.

And in case you forgot, or weren’t around, when we had monthlies, many farmed all of them for the AP.

Also, you assume that this would be the only way that the month lease would work. It can probably be changed to be more modular and accommodating of multiple play styles. Some people completely ignored monthlies back when they were even available so I don't see why this wouldn't be treated any differently in that respect. Just the same as you don't have to do dailies you don't have to do anything really if you don't want to.

What are you trying to argue with this?

I generally don't find maps are dead outside of off-peak times, but since Arenanet should have access to the metrics of each map, I wouldn't be opposed to them having a karma/XP/MF buff that they rotate through the least visited maps. Not enough to be game breaking but enough to entice people who don't have a set destination to go to that map over one that has a steady population even when there's no bonus events.

I think another option would to have something along the line of a weekly event where instead of world bosses or champion rewarding extra loot, completing event chains rewards the extra loot. The chains that are fully completed the least—usually coinciding with less popular maps—reward the most bonus loot.

@"Kamikae.9536" said:I guess maybe I wasn't clear in my suggestion, the idea wasn't to add "extra" daily or monthly style rewards but to add a buff to everyone in a specific map on a rotating basis. So for example Monday might be Jahai Bluffs day and and everyone in the map gains bonus XP, Mistonium and MF while playing in that map, Tues would be Dragons Stand day granting extra XP, MF, bonus Machete's and Crystalline Ore. It wouldn't be an achievement that could be ground out quick but a persistent buff like Volunteer's Blessing that applies while you are in that days maps.

Edit To be clear I liked and support the idea of monthlies that is just a different discussion

This would limit to those who had the expansions. Also, I wonder what such buffs might do to the economy?

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

And this has no bearing on what I said. People who don’t go to the maps anymore generally do so because they have no need as they’ve obtained all of the rewards that they want from those maps. Adding a monthly for those rewards will do nothing for them. How monthlies were structured in the past have no bearing on this.

And in case you forgot, or weren’t around, when we had monthlies, many farmed all of them for the AP.

I'm aware of the AP benefits, and I was there since betas. I'm fully on board with them coming back with or without AP aspects. It has a bearing because we have so many more maps than we did at launch, widening the selection of possible monthlies to allow for people to pick and choose what they want or what they don't want to participate in. They rotated the choices in their previous formats and it was not necessary to complete all categories that were offered.

What are you trying to argue with this?

Sorry, I didn't see that my voice-to-text was unhelpful here.

Three things.

1. It boils down to the fact that they were completely optional, while giving you a strong reason to complete them. As you mentioned for AP, but also for their rewards which were shifted to automatic (passive) login rewards. Dailies currently are one of the ways to promote active play and reward long-term commitment.
  2. If people don't need a certain currency under the way I would imagine a revamped return of monthlies, that's fine. It would encompass more areas and expansion content as well giving people increased opportunities to get it in whatever way they desire. The thing is that there are few incentives to return to those places and this could be a reason. Either that or another buddy system that helps people in 2-5 man parties get increased rewards to promote more group play, another problem point in the game imo. Guilds suffer in similar ways here.
  3. Daily/Weekly/Monthly systems are all designed to retain players over a long-term through their rewards. We currently have separate game-mode dailies that all count towards the daily reward. That's great. However, many people play in a one-and-done mindset for dailies, then they log out and wait for updates, new content, etc. As an example, for the longest time I've been playing actively many hours after I've completed my dailies. Only recently have I begun to burn out and only do the bare minimum to collect daily rewards and log out, even considering the September 17th story update and the recent balance.

If the goal here is to increase individual map population across the board, then how about either of these two options:

A. Eliminate vistas, resource gathering and world bosses as the PVE relevant dailies. Dailies should be limited to event farming in maps, with 5-6 maps available as options. And Anet, please include all the maps in the rotation, core, HoT, PoF, Living world season 3 and 4. Exclude the most recently released map as that one would be expected to have decent populations at most times. At a minimum, for the player-base that does not have HoT or Pof, have 3 core maps.

B. Allow for the recruitment of 'heroes' ally npcs akin to GW1 that could assist in the group events that would be too difficult for a single or few players to complete. I doubt this would happen but it would be nice if we can make mercenaries like in GW1 using our alts and form a party with them.

@RiyazGuerra.9203 said:If the goal here is to increase individual map population across the board, then how about either of these two options:

A. Eliminate vistas, resource gathering and world bosses as the PVE relevant dailies. Dailies should be limited to event farming in maps, with 5-6 maps available as options. And Anet, please include all the maps in the rotation, core, HoT, PoF, Living world season 3 and 4. Exclude the most recently released map as that one would be expected to have decent populations at most times. At a minimum, for the player-base that does not have HoT or Pof, have 3 core maps.

No Thanks. Not all of us have time to do dailies every day without the easier ones in play from time to time.

B. Allow for the recruitment of 'heroes' ally npcs akin to GW1 that could assist in the group events that would be too difficult for a single or few players to complete. I doubt this would happen but it would be nice if we can make mercenaries like in GW1 using our alts and form a party with them.

Isn't this what LFG is for? Also, there have been several hero threads which already speak to why these most likely will never be implemented.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@RiyazGuerra.9203 said:If the goal here is to increase individual map population across the board, then how about either of these two options:

No Thanks. Not all of us have time to do dailies every day without the easier ones in play from time to time.

Isn't this what LFG is for? Also, there have been several hero threads which already speak to why these most likely will never be implemented.

It is a bit indicative of the lack of reasons to party up in the open world. I remember I used to do it with random players in open world who needed help in general with whatever. People play GW2 almost as a surrogate single player game where you happen to encounter other players at events. Not only that, but incentives around forming and participating in Guild content are quite low, but I hope that changes in the future as well.

@Kamikae.9536 said:So myself and many others have noticed that many older maps such as HoT, LS3, and to some extent early LS4 maps, not to mention all the core maps are often empty and completing required group content can be very challenging.Soon as you said the HoT maps were dead your post lost all credibility and your idea became a meme.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@Kamikae.9536 said:So myself and many others have noticed that many older maps such as HoT, LS3, and to some extent early LS4 maps, not to mention all the core maps are often empty and completing required group content can be very challenging.Soon as you said the HoT maps were dead your post lost all credibility and your idea became a meme.

HoT maps are nowhere near as dead as LS3, but I saw no reason to exclude them from the idea due to the fact that they are require large amounts of players to complete the meta events. Just because my experience is different from yours doesn't mean I'm not credible, plus merely attacking my integrity doesn't add to the conversation or provide new insight.

I think the goal is to ensure that any particular map is fairly full on some days (by stealing population from other maps) rather than an across-the-board boost. It would, e.g., help with completing semi-dead content that blocks progress on achievements or whatever. Technically, the event dailies serve this purpose, but not quite as well, since people will leave after their obligatory 4.

@Kamikae.9536 said:

HoT maps are nowhere near as dead as LS3, but I saw no reason to exclude them from the idea due to the fact that they are require large amounts of players to complete the meta events. Just because my experience is different from yours doesn't mean I'm not credible, plus merely attacking my integrity doesn't add to the conversation or provide new insight.

I didn't attack your credibility. I said you sucked all value out of your post by exaggerating to make a point.You yourself just admitted to doing this.

@perilisk.1874 said:

I think the goal is to ensure that any particular map is fairly full on some days (by stealing population from other maps) rather than an across-the-board boost. It would, e.g., help with completing semi-dead content that blocks progress on achievements or whatever. Technically, the event dailies serve this purpose, but not quite as well, since people will leave after their obligatory 4.

This is exactly what I'm meaning. I talked to a few people in Jahai Bluffs who had been stuck on progress in collections/achievements for over a week because nobody was doing the required events (one was looking for the Djinn quest chain for requiem armor the other the hydra chain) I noticed while helping my sister work on the skyscale that many LS4 maps get the meta events done but nobody sticks around for the peripheral events that are often needed for collections/achievements/whatnot Trying to work on LS3 things for the legendary trinkets is absurd because those maps actually are dead. And while it may have been a bit of hyperbole to suggest the HoT maps could use the same boost in population I still have guildmates and friends who have gotten stuck on certain group events or whatnot for a week or longer. There are also many other posts lamenting the low population in core areas, which may not affect more veteran players (who can easily solo core champions) but hurts newer players. And yes there are places like the silverwastes that are never empty and have zero need for a population boost that I still think would be fair to include in the rotations. You pointed out what I feel, some maps would greatly benefit from the redistribution of players as there aren't enough total people to fill all the maps well enough. In the end I think this method would be easier to implement and better long term than changing all the events.

@"Kamikae.9536" said:So myself and many others have noticed that many older maps such as HoT, LS3, and to some extent early LS4 maps, not to mention all the core maps are often empty and completing required group content can be very challenging. My idea is to create a rotating "auto" mechanic that assigns a bonus to a specific map or maps for a day that say doubles MF, increases karma/map currency drops and maybe provides bonus XP. The idea is that the bonus would be big enough to draw people to those maps but not so big as to be game breaking. Plus if the rotation was set on a schedule you could look ahead to when the map you need might be full. WHat do you guys think? Or is the consensus that the maps aren't dead and there are enough people since the Megaserver update?

There is already a system of weekly map bonuses in place. The rotation is 4 weeks long. I wonder if many people actually pay attention to this mechanic. I certainly do not.

It's a great idea. The world boss/meta events somewhat have proven adding more rewards does lure players to said maps/events. But as everyone said, if someone has already attained what they wanted from map, only a reward they want can lure them there. The infusions from bonus boxes are too rare, but does lure the players who enjoy loot boxes.

Perhaps they can:

1. Chain some harder events for better rewards. I.E. The more events done, the better rewards. The more metas done on map, better rewards. Perhaps a reward track for said map based on time + events done on map. However the reward is the real carrot. If the rewards is only a guarantee rare, you can guarantee no one will do it.