Legendary-tier unique abilities & stat updates

Kharrus.6015

@FrigginPaco.4178 said:

@"NYG.2568" said:leg·end·ar·y1.of, described in, or based on legends.

leg·end1.a traditional STORY sometimes popularly regarded as historical but unauthenticated.

If we look at Excalibur a true Legendary, we know the story behind why/and what makes it such..

I have always said there is nothing "Legendary" about these weapons, EPIC would have been a more fitting description.

To be even more accurate for what they are Collectionary's or Grindary's is most fitting...

I agree, there needs to be something more that makes them unique other than their look. I am not saying they should be much more powerful, but that's what you'd think anyhow, but I understand why they are not.Some of the ideas you had for each "legendary" bonus affect are quite interesting, but it's a little to late for that now..

Ok, so Mjolnir is just a short hammer in a few stories by this logic? Nothing else to it?

Even your boy Trahearn had a legendary from Irish mythology
Caladbolg
– Two-handed sword of Fergus mac Róich in Irish legend; said to make a circle like an arc of rainbow when swung, and to have the power to cleave the tops from the hills.

Another that made it into GW2 was
Sharur
- the enchanted talking mace of Ninurta, Sumerian god

What about in-game options like Magdaer? You know, the sword that caused the entire Foefire, raising an entire nation as ghosts
a la
Return of the King? Ah, I guess it's not a legendary weapon, so it doesn't count...

<_<

We can do this all day, but at the end it's just a point-of-view battle here to find an example that suits our purposes. Also, Excalibur (and Mjolnir) may be a legendary, but they don't exist in GW2 (Edit: Mjornir exists as an exotic weapon I had forgotten about that). Even further, very few of the legendary's have any in-game lore associated with them (and the HoT elite specs for that matter). I believe only Nevermore, Astralaria, and Chuk n' Champ have associated lore in their collections; both in the UI and in the places/things you need to do. But barring those, no one explained why the gen 1 legendary greatwords are cosmic windows to the universe.

I'm pretty sure you some what validated my point.I used Excalibur as an example, Mjolnir also fits my example, They both had a story/lore and reason why they were made, why they needed to be used and by whom.Now in game there is very little if any true lore/legend behind these weapons I'm only speaking of THE Legendaries in game and the Lore of Tyria not outside influences.So what makes them Legendary to Tyrian's in essence. There is none, there is only go here collect this and collect that, craft this and craft that spend gold....I guess what I'm trying to get at is I wish there was a story driven journey in getting the Legendary's , not collections and a gold/material sink!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@NYG.2568 said:

@NYG.2568 said:leg·end·ar·y1.of, described in, or based on legends.

leg·end1.a traditional STORY sometimes popularly regarded as historical but unauthenticated.

If we look at Excalibur a true Legendary, we know the story behind why/and what makes it such..

I have always said there is nothing "Legendary" about these weapons, EPIC would have been a more fitting description.

To be even more accurate for what they are Collectionary's or Grindary's is most fitting...

I agree, there needs to be something more that makes them unique other than their look. I am not saying they should be much more powerful, but that's what you'd think anyhow, but I understand why they are not.Some of the ideas you had for each "legendary" bonus affect are quite interesting, but it's a little to late for that now..

Ok, so Mjolnir is just a short hammer in a few stories by this logic? Nothing else to it?

Caladbolg
– Two-handed sword of Fergus mac Róich in Irish legend; said to make a circle like an arc of rainbow when swung, and to have the power to cleave the tops from the hills.

Sharur

What about in-game options like Magdaer? You know, the sword that caused the entire Foefire, raising an entire nation as ghosts
a la
Return of the King? Ah, I guess it's not a legendary weapon, so it doesn't count...

<_<

We can do this all day, but at the end it's just a point-of-view battle here to find an example that suits our purposes. Also, Excalibur (and Mjolnir) may be a legendary, but they don't exist in GW2 (Edit: Mjornir exists as an exotic weapon I had forgotten about that). Even further, very few of the legendary's have any in-game lore associated with them (and the HoT elite specs for that matter). I believe only Nevermore, Astralaria, and Chuk n' Champ have associated lore in their collections; both in the UI and in the places/things you need to do. But barring those, no one explained why the gen 1 legendary greatwords are cosmic windows to the universe.

I'm pretty sure you some what validated my point.I used Excalibur as an example, Mjolnir also fits my example, They both had a story/lore and reason why they were made, why they needed to be used and by whom.Now in game there is very little if any true lore/legend behind these weapons I'm only speaking of THE Legendaries in game and the Lore of Tyria not outside influences.So what makes them Legendary to Tyrian's in essence. There is none, there is only go here collect this and collect that, craft this and craft that spend gold....I guess what I'm trying to get at is I wish there was a story driven journey in getting the Legendary's , not collections and a gold/material sink!

I do agree 100%. I seem to have misunderstood a portion of your original post, but yes, the legendaries are in a vacuum in GW2 with the exception of the 3 I mentioned. I'm sure there were discussions about their lore at the table when designing them with a few exceptions like Rodgort (…. just Trogdor backwards [the Home Star Runner animated short]). This is only one of many areas where the RPG element of GW2 suffers because of either shortsightedness at best to downright not having been thought of in the first place at the worst

@FrigginPaco.4178 said:

@NYG.2568 said:

Caladbolg

Sharur

a la

<_<

I do agree 100%. I seem to have misunderstood a portion of your original post, but yes, the legendaries are in a vacuum in GW2 with the exception of the 3 I mentioned. I'm sure there were discussions about their lore at the table when designing them with a few exceptions like Rodgort (…. just Trogdor backwards [the Home Star Runner animated short]). This is only one of many areas where the RPG element of GW2 suffers because of either shortsightedness at best to downright not having been thought of in the first place at the worst

Cheers, at least one other person besides myself gets it.

@NYG.2568 said:

Caladbolg

Sharur

a la

<_<

I wish the precursor scavenger hunt wasn't just some massive gold sink. It turned out to be just as expensive, if not more, than just buying the precursor from the TP, depending on which one you go for. The Gen 2 ones are worse, since everything is account bound yet it still costs a ton of mats/gold.

@warherox.7943 said:

@NYG.2568 said:

Caladbolg

Sharur

a la

<_<

I wish the precursor scavenger hunt wasn't just some massive gold sink. It turned out to be just as expensive, if not more, than just buying the precursor from the TP, depending on which one you go for. The Gen 2 ones are worse, since everything is account bound yet it still costs a ton of mats/gold.

I guess that's what makes them Legendary...

@NYG.2568 said:

@NYG.2568 said:

Caladbolg

Sharur

a la

<_<

I guess that's what makes them Legendary...

Legendary gold sink