What would be Your Cost to Leave GW2

Moving from GW1 to GW2 wasn't that big of a deal (for me at least). I only had time invested. In GW2, I have built up my account and characters to a point that I couldn't easily step away.

It would take much more for me to move from GW2 to GW3 and not take anything with me but a title or two.

I may take this as a sign to quit GW altogether. The company won't fold because of one person, but enough people like me quit and it will hurt their bottom line.

While I don't like the idea of a subscription, if we have to walk away from our GW2 accounts, I would be more for it if the story takes place as the next chapter of Tyria (our current characters included).

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing. I've 1000s of hours in the game and if I compare the cost per hour of game play to other games I have played, I have more than received my money's worth.

I would miss my old characters, but since I use the same names in other games, I would just see playing them in this hypothetical GW3 as a rebirth, whatever their form my take

I'd need to be persuaded that GW3 is a good game - better than other alternatives (like FF XIV). Notice, that they would be unlikely to persuade me so if GW3 were still in development and they couldn't show me much. On the other hand, hearing that GW2 is getting abandoned would be enough for me to consider other options.

...see where i am going with it?

I log in to kill rival guild, when they stop logging in, I'll stop logging in.Anet has no intent on class balance.WvW mounts break the game mode in many ways.Skill based mechanics are overlooked for cheese.1 dedicated developer could manage WvW single handed.Anet are very good listeners, but lack vision.I suspect Anet has good devs, but chain of command is too long or otherwise shit.Get a good dev who likes his game mode, and let him handle it.Get a group who like their game mode and let them handle it with 1 experienced as lead.Multiple managers is shit, manager over multiple modes is shit.You need experienced managers, the inexperienced managers micro manage reducing job performance of all under them, and make the work environment shit.

I play casually but without paying money anymore so I'm fine stopping right now and to play every new game that seems interesting to me. The next known big thing will be Cyberpunk 2077 as it will be for many gamers. Until that I'm going to hop between games and logging into GW2 to have a chill round of map exploration or something similar

GW3 won't happen with Arenanet so I really don't care about it. My personal doom hypothesis is the one that the overall decrease in quality content will lead to shrinking revenues over the next 1-3 years and finally in the liquidation of GW2 + Arenanet if they don't have anything in their innovation pipeline. Since all projects were cancelled with the layoffs in spring I doubt that they'll have a surprise for the market.

@kharmin.7683 said:Any form of subscription would see me leave.

[EDIT] Don't everyone applaud at once.

Same, I bought Guildwars and Gw2 because there was no subscription fee to play.I doubt they'll ever add one to Gw2 but if there is a Gw3 and it has a sub, you couldn't even pay me to play it.

Subs are an instant hell no for me, the reason I never played WoW, FF14 and many other MMO's..They're also the reason online gaming on consoles is dead to me, likewise games where online multiplayer is a big part of said game (Smash Bros, Mario Kart, pretty much all shooters, Monster Hunter etc) are also dead to me.Subfees are a con and a ripoff and I will never support them.

Frankly there are many systems both directly gameplay related and auxiliary to those systems (like the gemstore) that are headed in directions I do not enjoy. The model of living world leading into Expansion were my ideal method of delivery, but PoF was not as strong as HoT, and even HoT struggled in parts due to a rush to cobble something meaningful together. I have never in my life scrutinized Anets ability to deliver a good product more than I do now.

It's a shame because there are many things I enjoy from this game, but I feel like the NCsoft squeeze is hitting them hard and however much they have to pay to them as publishers is hurting their ability to hire.

Not to mention project management issues...

It's just... it feels like meaningful changes take forever to hit live status. That's what sucks the most.

@Taygus.4571 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:Them shutting down the servers

This... I'm here until they kill they servers and I have no choice. I will likely not play another mmo after gw2.

I play other mmos and other games. I’ve been on a break from one for years. Never really understood the “I’m leaving” sentiment when u you can jump in and out of for free whilst the servers exist.

If they did kill it, I’m sure I’ll find others

@Randulf.7614 said:

This... I'm here until they kill they servers and I have no choice. I will likely not play another mmo after gw2.

I play other mmos and other games. I’ve been on a break from one for years. Never really understood the “I’m leaving” sentiment when u you can jump in and out of for free whilst the servers exist.

Just a personal matter......gw2 is my first mmo, and its most likely to be my last.

I recommend you research the "sunk cost fallacy". There is absolutely zero cost for any of us to leave Guild Wars 2. Especially in a game which doesn't have a subscription fee and allows players to return on a whim, at any time, for zero cost, and pick up exactly where they left off. Once you reach Level 80 and obtain a set of exotic gear, you're good to go forever more. You may not be "absolute best in slot" for every future encounter, but you'll at least be "competitive". As far as items that you've previously purchased (bank slots, character slots, bag slots, permanent crafting tools, costumes, etc.): you have enjoyed the use of those items since the moment that you purchased them. And if you return to the game, they will still be waiting there for you.

I've "left" the game several times, and returned just as many... and each time, I've enjoyed the numerous upgrades that I previously purchased. There is absolutely zero "cost" to leaving the game: you just uninstall and walk away. And there is absolutely zero "cost" to returning to the game: you reinstall and pick up where you left off.

Either the introduction of a mandatory subscription or me getting bored with the game.

I don't deliberately quit games, but I don't deliberately stick with them either. Whenever I have free time I decide what I want to do with it and then do that. Sometimes I'll play one particular game every day for a few weeks or months, sometimes I won't touch it for years then come back to it, but it always comes down to what I feel like doing at the time.

What I've spent on a game isn't really a factor, partially because it's not an absolute decision. If I choose not to play a game I'm not saying I'll never touch it again and all the money I spent on it is now wasted (or even money I spent fairly recently), just that I'm not going to play it now. I have every intention of coming back to it at some point. And if I'm playing less I'm also less likely to buy new stuff for that game, so I'm unlikely to buy something just before a long break.

(The mandatory subscription scenario is obviously an exception to that, but I also think it's highly unlikely. That payment model just doesn't work for me because, on top of the process I just described of never committing to a specific game for a period of time, my life is pretty unpredictable and I never know more than a few days out how much time I'll have so with a subscription I can easily end up paying for time I never get to use, and then when I can play I feel under pressure to make the most of it so I'm not wasting more money. I end up feeling like I'm forcing myself to play and not enjoying it. I much prefer games where I just don't have to worry about that and since there's so many of them it's easy for me to avoid the ones with a subscription.)

@Randulf.7614 said:

I can explain that easily. Back in the old days there was this idea that new games make improvements over old ones, while also trying out new things. That used to be filled in role by sequels to games, and there was a very wide variety of others games you could pick up and drop in a few weeks to break up the monotony (or hitting a wall at level cap) of the game you played most regularly.

Thats not really possible anymore, because MMOs and other Live Service type games, psychologically punish you for not constantly engaging with it. Ergo, this compulsive players to keep playing as routine; until they're well past a breaking point and contemplating abandoning the game, knowing full well that the next game they get into will no doubt have similar, if not greater demands on their time and attention. Some even actively seek this out, believing everyone having a forced time commitment leads to more dedicated players......... erroneous, but a belief none the less.

And its with that looming sense of commitment that makes it harder to want to invest in a game that is not categorically better then what you're leaving. Or even in a best case scenario, leaving and coming back won't have serious repercussions to your progression rate, and/or social standing for group content, because getting left behind is a barrier for reentry.

With so many games to choose from, all of which hold the expectation that it is going to be your "main game" for the next couple of years, and many taking weeks or months to reach proper "end game" where 90% of the player base, active content, and the inevitable preparation for the next content block..... makes it difficult to get a good idea of what the game and community is like, until you're already fallen into the same trappings that made you stay in the last game past the point of being sick of it. It simply takes too long to know if you'll like the new status quo, that sampling all the games you potentially like is not really possible. Thus it isn't surprising that people lean heavily on "Influences" (ie streamers) to try and get a feel for a game, despite the fact that watching a game and playing a game are often wildly different experiences. You even see this a lot within the newer population of GW2 "hearing that the game was good" as being the only reason they even tried it, because they were sick/frustrated over the last game they were playing. Which is why seeing Veteran players being sick and frustrated with the game (or any game for that matter) is confusing to new players at first, until they've spent enough time to eventually understand the underlying problem first hand.

After doing this 3 or 4 times, the level of scrutiny you subject a potential game switch to increases dramatically, as you start getting tired of being stuck in a game that eventually goes south. When everything demands a major commitment, but rarely pays you back for it, your criteria for a new game starts to reflect that. I'm having that problem right now where theres a dozen games I "want" to play, but am holding out because of the current trends creating record burn out rates, escalating of aggressive monetization (both on and post launch), blatant psychological manipulation, a general inability to a circle of friends into the same game at the same time, and the fact that the vast majority of popular games are fundamentally the same experience, just with different window dressings and mechanics. A "Social Theme Park" conundrum that currently permeates nearly every corner of modern Entertainment, as they all fight to be the most popular they can be.

And if you're the type like me.... one that regularly seeks out unconventional games, and seeing that potential squandered or criminally underappreciated..... yeah.... thats really frustrating. But thats nothing compared to my current paranoia: Avoiding a game, not because I'm worried it'll be bad..... but because theres a good chance it'll get increasingly abusive over time. The game industry has turned hope into a commodity like Carbon Credits. And we just keep trading on it, in a never ending quest for catharsis, from a generation of games that has every incentive to meter it out the minimal amount over the longest period possible, because its the only thing left thats guaranteed to motive us.

@Obtena.7952 said:Just not wanting to log in ... but GW2 is smart ... they made the business so people can 'leave' ... and then come back. People do need ot understand this though ... everything you have put into an MMO will eventually be nothing.

The same is true of most things people do for fun though. I just came back from seeing Metallica & the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra's S&M2 show at the cinema (sadly couldn't be there for the actual show) and I've got absolutely nothing to show for it. But I've been talking about it with my friends ever since it finished, discussing our favourite songs, times we've seen the band live, our hopes for an album/DVD release etc. Plus I really enjoyed it while it was happening, so that alone is worth the cost of the ticket.

The same is true for GW2. I know of course that sooner or later something will happen and everything I've put into the game will be gone. But I've enjoyed playing it (and hopefully will continue to enjoy it), so whenever that happens I'm not going to regret it.