Poll: Build Templates

Mrs Lana.2506

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

@Dante.1508 said:Core game content should never be paid for.

good thing you get several slots for free. Like bag slots or bank slots. You need more? you pay for it. And paying for it keeps the servers running.Considering how much will that system cost, it should do way, way more than just keep the servers running. After all, we're talking about several worths of expacs kind of payment for it. So, one would expect several expacs of content in exchange.

good thing you get several slots for free. Like bag slots or bank slots. You need more? you pay for it. And paying for it keeps the servers running.

Or how about releasing a full paid expansion instead of free episodes to keep the servers running? That sounds like a better long-term strategy to me. Certainly did to a lot of other game companies. A new expac I would definitely pay for. These things? Absolutely not.

@Miss Lana.5276 said:There's a lot of discussion around the paid aspect of the coming build templates. What's your opinion on the paid aspect?

Sorry but it should be free. The fact GW1 had this and GW2 hasn't for over 7 years is first of all, totally unacceptable. Secondly, much of the content in the game has taken forever to come through while a lot of us have spent money on expansions and account upgrades and skins. Now I know, I know, ANet need to make money, but monetising every single thing that they neglected to put in is not at all fair and only shows how negative a buy once play free system can be. Of course, a bunch of slots in their entirety should be free, and additional ones purchasable.

good thing you get several slots for free. Like bag slots or bank slots. You need more? you pay for it. And paying for it keeps the servers running.

Lol... You mean 250 mat storage and two tiny bank tabs? A lot of crafting requires a stack of materials.

@Holgarf.6581 said:

Lol... You mean 250 mat storage and two tiny bank tabs? A lot of crafting requires a stack of materials.

and that is your choice. You could sell everything above 250 and then buy it back when needed. Or do not craft, but go with the stuff you find/earn. But you want to craft. And you want a big pile of mats. So your choice, your decision.

@"Holgarf.6581" said:Sorry but it should be free. The fact GW1 had this and GW2 hasn't for over 7 years is first of all, totally unacceptable.In my opinion, to be fair GW2 didn't have fractals or raids at launch so it may be that templates were decided against in favor of working on other features and content with the intention to circle back around to them when time/resources permitted. I would say the same about mounts since it was said early on that they weren't part of the plan (which wasn't an outright "no").

@Sobx.1758 said:Considering the bag/bank slots are paid, I don't see why the gear templates would be 100% free (seeing as they free up inventory space). If the gear templates didn't free up the bag space, then yeah, they might have been free.

Part of the complaint, as I understand it, isn't so much the cost (ok, maybe it is), but the limit on the number of slots as compared to Arc which was for all intents and purposes limitless.

I would have preferred unlimited templates (or a much higher template limit) to templates having gear storage built in.

We already had the inventory system for that, and it was already monetised in both gold and gems.

Now the extra bag slots and bags are going to be obsolete for equipment, and I should have just hoarded gems to buy build template slots instead?

And then I won't even be able to buy enough build template/gear template slots for some of my characters anyways.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@"Sobx.1758" said:Considering the bag/bank slots are paid, I don't see why the gear templates would be 100% free (seeing as they free up inventory space). If the gear templates didn't free up the bag space, then yeah, they might have been free.

Part of the complaint, as I understand it, isn't so much the cost (ok, maybe it is), but the limit on the number of slots as compared to Arc which was for all intents and purposes limitless.

If arc tried to charge for their 3rd party program, it's almost certain a lot of people would get banned. Maybe they didn't charge because they didn't want to -or maybe they just couldn't.Anyways, blaming a company for trying to make money is kind of pointless. I also can't speak about the cost, because I don't know the price (but I assume it will be too high anyways btw :D ). The point here is -they charge for bag slots and as gear templates free inventory slots, there's no reason for them to be free.And as far as I understand this thread and OP's poll, the point is literally about it costing money, not it having potentially limited slots that can be paid for. That's what I'm answering to, because that was the question, it wasn't "should we be able to buy unlimited gear slots?" :p

• Confused 1

and that is your choice. You could sell everything above 250 and then buy it back when needed. Or do not craft, but go with the stuff you find/earn. But you want to craft. And you want a big pile of mats. So your choice, your decision.

No. It's not a big pile of mats if so many recipes require so many materials. It is obviously designed in a way to maximise the number of people buying extra slots as a necessity. Point being, the base storage quantity relative to the reicpies is tiny. If you expect people to clog their base default inventory size with mats, that's just ludicrous since the game purposely clutters inventory space to encourage bag slot purchases and if you have to store them in bank, the same applies.

I'm not complaining, I'm just pointing out that every single aspect of the game requires purchases because they've been designed to hinder everyone and I feel that even though ANet need to make money for certain things, they shouldn't apply it to absolutely everything and massively inconvenience players to the point where things become ab irritating hindrance. Speaking of which, massively expensive permanent tools that don't share slots and still require swapping between characters via bank or, encouraging you to buy ludicrously expensive shared slots. Even then, you still have to swap them because not all characters can use them. Of course, ANet would love if everyone spent several hundred pounds on a mass of unbreakable tools for each character, but fortunately not everyone is that stupid or that desperate.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:so how do you propose anet making money to keep the game running?

oh and by the way, gold to gem? so what is your problem again?

Getting the gold to start with.. Try only playing Solo open world pve and see how fast the gems roll in..

@kharmin.7683 said:

@"Sobx.1758" said:Considering the bag/bank slots are paid, I don't see why the gear templates would be 100% free (seeing as they free up inventory space). If the gear templates didn't free up the bag space, then yeah, they might have been free.

It's a mixture of having a limit of pre-set builds you can have on one character as well as the paid aspect. Some parties have an issue with one or the other. Personally I have an issue with both. They're taking away a lot of utility that arc had and forcing players to pay for a severely lesser product, with little to no benefit for those who have legendary gear sets.

They did add the "change all stats" functionality, but it's still super clunky to use, and won't even change sigils/runes. Some builds have half x half y stats, which makes it completely redundant.

It's a bad move from Anet. You just can't introduce a paid feature that is worse (arguably, depending on the player needs) than what we already have for free. It really doesn't matter if it's a 3rd party mod. It is out there, it was not blacklisted and people use it. Mods have been a part of gaming forever and smart companies know how to use these 3rd party developers to their benefit. Censoring mods should be done in a way that it offers safety and fairness to players not limit their play choices.

They should either make it better or they should allow the ArcDps to continue with templates. I think allowing ArcDps to continue would be the best option.

@Cuks.8241 said:It really doesn't matter if it's a 3rd party mod.

It really does.

It is out there, it was not blacklisted and people use it.

It wasn't blacklisted because they were obligated to take it down when the official templates come. Being surprised that a company tries to monetize something when you can pretty much play for free is also hard to understand for me.

• Confused 1

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:This poll would have made more sense if done
after
the release of the feature. ;)

Would it have? Sometimes a preventive judgement prevents negative things later.

I try not to judge until I've tested the subject first. I understand the concerns, but still, premature judgment can have a negative influence as well.

If anything, premature judgement is WORSE. It's based purely on assumptions and in this case, those assumptions will be biased.

I'm with you on this one ... complain AFTER it's in the game if you don't like it. At least a person's judgement in that case is based on real experience.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@DonArkanio.6419 said:Sure, let's make ANet a charity.Sure, let's make GW2 a game where we need to pay for every single future upgrade. Individually, per upgrade, at a cost (again, per upgrade) much greater than once it would be normal to see for a whole expac including several of those upgrades.I just wonder what gemshop connection they will manage to create with level 500 jeweller.

Why do you think isn't already? From where I sit, everything I have in this game I got because I purchased it ... either with my money or my time .. I'm pretty sure no one is different than this. We already do pay for every single future upgrade.

I understand charging for it but I am sad that the number of slots will be so low. Back in the arcDPS template days I had 10 builds for my guardian, 8 or so for my ranger, more than 20 for my engi, and more than 20 for warrior.

Oh well I guess. A lot of people will be happy so that's good, definitely not me though.