Will Anet ever raise the level cap from 80?

I think the mastery system covers pretty much any further character progression once you reach the cap.

It is more in line with the horizontal progression that they've built this game upon.

I'd rather have some improvement to the reward system. Having to go through the achievement board any time I want to get my hands on the new pieces of equipments is a real hassle (not to mention how punitive those achievements are).

I wish there were things like rare mobs that spawn in a random location, with a chance to drop equipments specific to that mob. Or I would love to be able to learn skills (like maybe new weapon skills for current weapons) by hunting some rare beast, or as a reward of cool quests (a bit like in guild wars 1)

As well as the issues already mentioned level scaling makes increasing the cap pointless. On any map level 80 or below you'd do the same damage as you do now because you'll be scaled down, and on any new level 90 maps you might see bigger numbers but the enemies would all be level 90 too, so the overall effect would be the same.

The only difference is you'd have to waste some time grinding levels and getting new equipment before getting to play on the new maps.

In games with a subscription it's an effective way to keep players playing for longer (and therefore paying for permission to log in for longer) by dragging out each release with those grind phases in between actual progress, but there's no need for it in a buy-to-play game.

No, they will not raise it. They have said it from day 1 and if they go back on it that is the day people walk.

I am a bit confused why you would even WANT it. Say it gets raised to 90, you get a bit more xp and up your character (or just use tomes, I am sure most 80s have lots in the bank by now). They then start introducing new zones as level 90 so you did not really gain anything. Since existing 80 zones were meant to be max-level they will most likely be raised to 90 as well. Can you break down the advantages of increasing the cap? Right now if you see anyone under the cap they are either an alt or just started playing, most of the ppl you meet just shoot up to the cap anyway. All increasing it would do is risk breaking stuff.

@Sir Arigius.6294 said:Will Anet ever raise the level cap from 80 to a higher level number?

I think it'd be neat to be 10 levels higher in a level 80 zone with and be able to buy armor sets with a higher defense number on them.

Who feels the same way? or is it a bad idea?

With scaling, you'd be down-leveled to L80 in those maps, anyway. What would be the point?

@Sir Arigius.6294 said:Will Anet ever raise the level cap from 80 to a higher level number?

I think it'd be neat to be 10 levels higher in a level 80 zone with and be able to buy armor sets with a higher defense number on them.

Raising the level cap so that everyone's equipment becomes obsolete and we are all forced to replace it? No, thank you. Let's leave that kind of crap to the other MMO's.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

With scaling, you'd be down-leveled to L80 in those maps, anyway. What would be the point?

Bragging rights?

Why would you need higher defense numbers on level 80 PvE maps? Are you having problems staying alive on those maps? If you are maybe you should look at your traits, get different stats on your gear or get ascended gear. You can buy ascended trinkets with laurels and craft ascended weapons for the most effective increase in stats.

As others have noted, it would be pointless in this game's design. Also, while ANet hasn't made a lot of the promises that players try to hold them to, they most definitely asserted in the HoT announcement that they would never raise the cap past 80, focusing instead on horizontal progression. While neither Colin nor MO are in charge of such decisions any more, the backlash would be enormous if that particular statement were revoked.

@Donari.5237 said:As others have noted, it would be pointless in this game's design. Also, while ANet hasn't made a lot of the promises that players try to hold them to, they most definitely asserted in the HoT announcement that they would never raise the cap past 80, focusing instead on horizontal progression. While neither Colin nor MO are in charge of such decisions any more, the backlash would be enormous if that particular statement were revoked.

Well the backlash against Ascended gear was enormous and they still added it in. So it wouldn't surprise me if they added another tier of gear or increased the level cap.

@warherox.7943 said:

@Donari.5237 said:As others have noted, it would be pointless in this game's design. Also, while ANet hasn't made a lot of the promises that players try to hold them to, they most definitely asserted in the HoT announcement that they would
never
raise the cap past 80, focusing instead on horizontal progression. While neither Colin nor MO are in charge of such decisions any more, the backlash would be enormous if that particular statement were revoked.

Well the backlash against Ascended gear was enormous and they still added it in. So it wouldn't surprise me if they added another tier of gear or increased the level cap.

Yeah, but that was some time ago.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Donari.5237 said:As others have noted, it would be pointless in this game's design. Also, while ANet hasn't made a lot of the promises that players try to hold them to, they most definitely asserted in the HoT announcement that they would
never
raise the cap past 80, focusing instead on horizontal progression. While neither Colin nor MO are in charge of such decisions any more, the backlash would be enormous if that particular statement were revoked.

Yeah, but that was some time ago.

Plus legendary is probably a better indication of their thinking. Aside from skins and the ability to change stats out of combat it is not more powerful than an ascended weapon.

There's no reason to raise lvl cap in gw2. If you want to feel like you're lvl 90 in a lvl 80 zone, just go to a level 70 zone on your lvl80 character, raising cap just so you can see a slightly higher number and suddenly hint at adding gear treadmill after 7 years is pointless.

• Confused 1