grand master shards

Hello everybody,

First of all, about 90% of my time i spent in WVW

For quite some time i'm working, gathering etc on my legendary WVW armor.At this moment I got all the aquired stuff, ( 6x gift of war dedication, prowess, prosperity).This alone is quite some work to do.

Now im facing another very demotivating 'thread'.

To buy the 6 aquired acended armor pieces at the Skirmish Supervisor; in total I need 200 Grand Master markshards.You get 1 shard in wvw participation for bronze, silver, gold reward.
So 3 every week, which is about 9 hours gameplay.It wil take you 67 (!) weeks to get the 200 required shards by grinding the bronze, silver, gold reward

10 shards give 1 grandmaster tailor shard for light legendary armor. The same for medium and heavy.You need handarmor (3), foot (3), shoulders (3), head (3), leggings (4), chest (4). In total 20.

At this moment I got the hand and leg armor.

Since you CANNOT buy the mark shards nor the tailor marks at the tradingpost. It's reall not worth working on wvw legendary.If I finish this project it would have taken me about 2.5 years!!!!! And still about 1 year to go?!! ):'0

I think this need to be rebalanced by ANET

1 Mark per item is MORE than enough.

I looking forward to the replys.

Have fun in the game.

Tom Slek

I'm sure everyone who got the leggie stuff before you would welcome the nerf of armour to one mark each.As a end game crafter on balance making marks for armour can be much cheaper than 'normal' crafting of gear (with the luxury of being able to choose your stats).But I do agree that the 10 shards for one in wvw is a bit meh when pvp gives you a box with one in it.you can buy the items for the craft on the TP as well btw.

@"Tom Slek.9721" said:Now im facing another very demotivating 'thread'.

To buy the 6 aquired acended armor pieces at the Skirmish Supervisor; in total I need 200 Grand Master markshards.

And you did not take a look at what's required before you started to collect your legendary WvW armor? ;)

I am almost done with mine. If I recall correctly, you don't need that many Grandmaster Mark Shards, you can speed up the process by crafting the Marks yourself:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Grandmaster_Armorsmith%27s_Mark

I think this need to be rebalanced by ANET

And I think it is fine the way it is. If they made it easier to obtain, it would no longer be legendary. Put in some work!

@borgs.6103 said:Get the Sublime Misforged version. (The shiny one with tentacles) Those don't require any Grandmaster marks but they cost more tickets and require higher WvW ranks. (Rank 2000 to gain access to chest armors)

To get those you need to unlock the not so shiny ascended one, right? If so then they cost grandmaster marks.

@Jethro.9376 said:

@borgs.6103 said:Get the Sublime Misforged version. (The shiny one with tentacles) Those don't require any Grandmaster marks but they cost more tickets and require higher WvW ranks. (Rank 2000 to gain access to chest armors)

To get those you need to unlock the not so shiny ascended one, right? If so then they cost grandmaster marks.

No. You need the one you get for free at the end of the reward track and you need to have the ranks. 2000 for the chest, I believe 1200 or 1300 for the lowest one.

That said, it's taking me way less time to make the marks than to get the ranks. I'm only at 630. ;)

@Jethro.9376 said:

While you need to unlock the T2 skins for the T3 skins to become available, you can always buy the exotic version of T2 which doesnt require grandmaster marks.

@Voltekka.2375 said:

While you need to unlock the T2 skins for the T3 skins to become available, you can always buy the exotic version of T2 which doesnt require grandmaster marks.This.T1 set is from the reward track. That unlocks T2 which has 2 versions.
Exotic
which only requires tickets and
Ascended
which requires Grandmaster marks and tickets. Either of those then unlock T3 pieces, which only have ascended versions. T3 only requires tickets but needs certain ranks to purchase.

Both T2 ascended version and T3 version can be precursors for WvW legendary armor.

My only problem with the Grandmaster Shards (and marks) is that I have no use for them. When I decided that I will craft WvW legendary armors I crafted 20 Marks for every weight class. After a while, ANet introduced the Shards on the Reward Track. Too bad for me :#. I crafted the first 3 sets of legendary armors and I made the first steps toward the forth (the one needing lvl 2k for the chest piece). Now I have around 150 Shards and I have no use for them.I have ascendant/legendary armors for all my characters. I don't want to use the marks for Ascendant from WvW because I have to spend Skirmish Tickets too - these are too valuable to be wasted like that.

I will be happy if ANet implements something allowing us to exchange the Shards (or even the marks) into something else - sieges / food / anything. Because, I still don't want to destroy the shards.

@Cristalyan.5728 said:My only problem with the Grandmaster Shards (and marks) is that I have no use for them. When I decided that I will craft WvW legendary armors I crafted 20 Marks for every weight class. After a while, ANet introduced the Shards on the Reward Track. Too bad for me :#. I crafted the first 3 sets of legendary armors and I made the first steps toward the forth (the one needing lvl 2k for the chest piece). Now I have around 150 Shards and I have no use for them.I have ascendant/legendary armors for all my characters. I don't want to use the marks for Ascendant from WvW because I have to spend Skirmish Tickets too - these are too valuable to be wasted like that.

I will be happy if ANet implements something allowing us to exchange the Shards (or even the marks) into something else - sieges / food / anything. Because, I still don't want to destroy the shards.

You can unlock obsidian skins. Or mistforged hero (i think that what theyre called anyway) weapon skins. A dev had also said about incoming armor skins in the fall.

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@Cristalyan.5728 said:My only problem with the Grandmaster Shards (and marks) is that I have no use for them. When I decided that I will craft WvW legendary armors I crafted 20 Marks for every weight class. After a while, ANet introduced the Shards on the Reward Track. Too bad for me :#. I crafted the first 3 sets of legendary armors and I made the first steps toward the forth (the one needing lvl 2k for the chest piece). Now I have around 150 Shards and I have no use for them.I have ascendant/legendary armors for all my characters. I don't want to use the marks for Ascendant from WvW because I have to spend Skirmish Tickets too - these are too valuable to be wasted like that.

You can unlock obsidian skins. Or mistforged hero (i think that what theyre called anyway) weapon skins. A dev had also said about incoming armor skins in the fall.

Or buy fractal ascended boxes for second specs on your character aswell.

This, to me, is why legendarys are not worth the hassle.I play GW 1 & 2 to have fun after I leave work. I already have a stressful job and don't want more stress grinding for items that are, at best, vanity pieces.Yes I am well aware of the added/enhanced stats on legendary weapons and armor, but similar stats can be had with ascended items and they don't require nearly the drudgery to obtain and can be re-skined to ones liking, which I believe cannot be done with legendarys (I am open to correction on this).The funny part is, I probably have enough of the needed items/materials to make something but I've never looked into it.

@ShadowGryphon.6257 said:This, to me, is why legendarys are not worth the hassle.I play GW 1 & 2 to have fun after I leave work. I already have a stressful job and don't want more stress grinding for items that are, at best, vanity pieces.Yes I am well aware of the added/enhanced stats on legendary weapons and armor, but similar stats can be had with ascended items and they don't require nearly the drudgery to obtain and can be re-skined to ones liking, which I believe cannot be done with legendarys (I am open to correction on this).The funny part is, I probably have enough of the needed items/materials to make something but I've never looked into it.Legendaries actually have the exact same stats as ascended, and they can be reskinned like any other piece of equipment (I should know, I've reskinned most of my legendary equipment). The one outlier here are legendary trinkets that don't have a skin to begin with but add a character effect if worn that can't be turned off.

The main advantage of legendary equipment is that you can change their stats to any stat-combination available to ascended equipment at any time you are out of combat, and as often as you wish, so you can quickly adjust to meta shifts, newly added stat combinations, or any stat experiments you'd like to try without extra costs. This can potentially save you bag space, too, since one set can replace several different ascended sets (e.g. one for open world pve, one for fractals/raids, and one for wvw). You can also change runes/sigills/infusions in legendary gear while recovering the upgrade you replace, again without cost and as often as you like.

@Rasimir.6239 said:

Legendaries actually have the exact same stats as ascended, and they can be reskinned like any other piece of equipment (I should know, I've reskinned most of my legendary equipment). The one outlier here are legendary trinkets that don't have a skin to begin with but add a character effect if worn that can't be turned off.

Hmm, see I have been playing since beta and I could swear that Legendaries were stuck with their look because they were legendary. But good to know.I suppose I should have been clearer about the ascended item, yeah I am aware that the stats are the same.

The main advantage of legendary equipment is that you can change their stats to any stat-combination available to ascended equipment at any time you are out of combat, and as often as you wish, so you can quickly adjust to meta shifts, newly added stat combinations, or any stat experiments you'd like to try without extra costs. This can potentially save you bag space, too, since one set can replace several different ascended sets (e.g. one for open world pve, one for fractals/raids, and one for wvw). You can also change runes/sigills/infusions in legendary gear while recovering the upgrade you replace, again without cost and as often as you like.Yeah I was aware of the ability to change stats and swap out runes etc., but given that I don't engage in PvP or WvW, it's of little consequence to me.Also as I was heavily into GW1 so I got used to having gear on my character to swap out and don't see where the real issue is given the amount of inventory space we can have in GW2