Which weapon should Necromancer get with their next Elite Spec?

Lahmia.2193

Necros are getting dual pistols for their next elite spec. It's gonna be a highly mobile, vampiric drain life spec. The new shroud will have dark sharp demon wings and skills that zip thru targets, leaving a shadowy after image that causes slow/cripple. The heal steals 2k hp from up for 5 enemies within 600 range.

Mainhand Sword for me and I hope it's themed on a Wraith using a Rapier

Mostly single target multi hit damage kinda of weapon that would work well with offhand dagger, warhorn and focus.Has piercing effect so is able to hit multiple enemies within range providing they are standing in a line or stacked on top of one another.Grants Necro access to some blink/tp to target abilities.Wraith Shroud turns the Necro into a spectral being and tears a hole into the abyss creating a dark field that pulls enemies towards its center, Necromancer is anchored while in Wraith Shroud and cannot move but is able to launch ranged attacks to cripple and pull enemies towards it making it harder for foes to escape.Enemies that get too close to the Necro while in Wraith Shroud will suffer damage over time and are subject to the Necromancers strongest short range aoe shroud skill which always triggers a dark field blast combo which can be traited to cause additional blast effects.

That's the concept I have in mind anyway.

To be honest i'm a big fan of every non "off-hand limited" weapons for elite specialization. I like to see radical differences of "game feel" through new auto attacks.Bows and necromancy are not a very common mix, that would make an interesting alternative for long range combat. :)

It would also be a good oportunity to spread some mark weapon skills, to make them less niche.Something like this:

• Bow auto attack places a special alteration that modifies some of your bow skills

• Bow skill 2 has ammo system and targets every foes with the auto attack alteration along with more damage/speed/etc

• Bow skill 4 is a mark that places the auto attack alteration on up to 5 foes. It could have an effect adding more vulnerability the less foes you hit with this mak, allowing you to spread the condition on multiple ennemies or destroy a specific target

I can't really decide between dual-swords and longbow.

I like the idea of either a vampiric-centric dual sword melee necro. But when I think about how it would play I just keep thinking it would be a slightly better version of rev with shiro or a thief.

Longbow could be cool, like a dark ranger themed class that maybe has access to different and more powerful pets. But then how is that different than a ranger?

I think the coolest thing they could do to really set them apart would be to give them a demon-centric spec and maybe hammer or mace. A transform spec but if they didn't do that for soulbeast or druid, I don't see them doing that with anything else. Though I suppose they sort of do already with reaper and death shroud. But it would be neat to actually turn into a big demon. I've always liked Lich form but it's always been so weak and clunky. If they redesign anything else for necro I wish they would redesign that or form a spec around it.

Other than that I can't really think of anything that isn't just more condi spam. It would be nice to have a rapid-attack power spec outside of axe 2 and reaper shroud 4.

So, final verdict: A demon transform themed spec (because I really miss my demon hunter in WoW) or a shadow assassin style spec where necro uses dual swords and behaves similar to a rev with emphasis on vampiric abilities. Or a true lich themed spec where the necro actually summons undead and skeletons instead of weird freaky looking fleshbeasts. Maybe even allow the spec to empower one specific minion.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I wish Arenanet would just make specs that mirror wow professions like demon hunter, druid, warlock, and monk. We already have warriors, and thieves are pretty much rogues, and rangers are rangers, and necros in general are pretty much shadow priests, and guardians are pretty much paladins. I never really cared much for mages but it would be nice if ele's got some melee spec that could survive and do high damage without relying on half of their abilities being evades or having to trait for condi cleanse.

• 2 weeks later...

@KrHome.1920 said:Shield

Skill 4 should be a 20s cooldown 600 range rush skill (which does not require a target to be usable for mobility) that knocks down the target on impact.Skill 5 should be a 30s cooldown 3s block that builds up life force when blocking.

The new shroud should be melee range with one leap skill but in contrast to reaper shroud only single target oriented but with boon sharing for allies.

--> necro tank/support with good duelling capabilities.

I like this idea... Also I like shields...

I'd like a bow. Roleplay as Sylvanas. My preference is short, but long'll do too. Maybe a melee deathshroud that focuses a lot on mobility rather than damage, or even on stealth.

Alternatively, a shield would be great. Goes well aesthetically with the axe and the scepter, a bit weird with dagger though. A counterattack that causes Fear would be fantastic.