Please lock or delete the thread is derailed to how the gem to gold conversion works

@"Vancho.8750" said:Since i work in that part of the industry and i know how the sausage is made, some design choices have me worried. Usually i ignore them but after the lay offs things got little bit more pushy with the "Macro" transactions and the design of some content like the Skyscale unlock(bland, boring and unimaginative for the most part like most mobile game practices) and now with build templates (looks like copy of a mobile game feature the only part missing is charging for changing builds, don't get any kitten ideas from that). I don't think GW2 could survive a mobile game flop for pushing too hard. In the mobile space you can always reskin, recycle and reuse a flop into something "new" and it can be churned out quicker, not so much in the PC. Even in the mobile space you don't push way too hard on your crown jewel game that is in the public eye.Now that MO is out and Chris Corry will oversee NCSOFT west and from what i read his experience is in the mobile space from Kabam, that puts some doubt in the future of the game.

Sad fact is mobile gaming makes so much more money then PC games and Console games combined.That being said, You can see why they are are moving in that direction.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

@Swagger.1459 said:@Vancho.8750 No, you just want Anet to bend over backwards for you, so you don’t have to spend an additional penny on the game. Yet, you want things like the UI reworked, new armors, more cultural armors , reworks of old armors... Things cost time and money, yet you complain about a game company that doesn’t charge you a monthly fee and only offers non-essential items on the gemstore... None of which you need to progress in the game... Which you can get for $0 by trading your gold for gems, but you complain about how the game is monetized.

You still haven’t provided Anet with a better monetizing plan either, despite your claim.I get you don't like to read but this is getting really annoying you repeating the kitten over and over like you don't have anything useful to say. All im asking is for the game to come first and then the magnetization. And you constantly come around with gems to gold, gold costs time and some point money is worth more then gold per hour, and on top of that the gems are bought for real money and traded with someone else for the gold, arenanet doesn't lose from this. Stop going back to but money this and that, the argument is that they employ bland and boring mobile gameplay loop more and more instead of of a PC game.

The guy that paid 10 dollars real money helps the company to invest/create new contentBy collecting gold YOU BENEFIT from ppl that used cash to get an item for free. The company cannot use the ingame gold to pay the Electrical Bills and keep the servers running up .The person that payed 10 dollars + and you by converting gold to gems = doesnt mean that the company will earn 20 real dollars1 pays and 1 ''benefit''

Selling gold makes gems more valuable in terms of gold, though, so you're still indirectly helping to monetize.

@perilisk.1874 said:

@Swagger.1459 said:@Vancho.8750 No, you just want Anet to bend over backwards for you, so you don’t have to spend an additional penny on the game. Yet, you want things like the UI reworked, new armors, more cultural armors , reworks of old armors... Things cost time and money, yet you complain about a game company that doesn’t charge you a monthly fee and only offers non-essential items on the gemstore... None of which you need to progress in the game... Which you can get for $0 by trading your gold for gems, but you complain about how the game is monetized.

You still haven’t provided Anet with a better monetizing plan either, despite your claim.I get you don't like to read but this is getting really annoying you repeating the kitten over and over like you don't have anything useful to say. All im asking is for the game to come first and then the magnetization. And you constantly come around with gems to gold, gold costs time and some point money is worth more then gold per hour, and on top of that the gems are bought for real money and traded with someone else for the gold, arenanet doesn't lose from this. Stop going back to but money this and that, the argument is that they employ bland and boring mobile gameplay loop more and more instead of of a PC game.

The guy that paid 10 dollars real money helps the company to invest/create new contentBy collecting gold YOU BENEFIT from ppl that used cash to get an item for free. The company cannot use the ingame gold to pay the Electrical Bills and keep the servers running up .The person that payed 10 dollars + and you by converting gold to gems = doesnt mean that the company will earn 20 real dollars1 pays and 1 ''benefit''

Selling gold makes gems more valuable in terms of gold, though, so you're still indirectly helping to monetize.

More ppl using using the gold>gem conversion and less ppl using real money . spikes up the prices for the convertionMore ppl using the gold from Fractals + Raids =the company dont gain anything from them , but their playtime/they keep beeing online

@Killthehealersffs.8940 said:The guy that paid 10 dollars real money helps the company to invest/create new contentBy collecting gold YOU BENEFIT from ppl that used cash to get an item for free. The company cannot use the ingame gold to pay the Electrical Bills and keep the servers running up .The person that payed 10 dollars + and you by converting gold to gems = doesnt mean that the company will earn 20 real dollars1 pays and 1 ''benefit''

I recommend to do some serious research about the gem exchange to gold and vice versa. The connection was already shown in several well-founded documents by long-term observations. The overall result is: Arenanet benefits the most. Just saying. :)

@Vinceman.4572 said:

@Killthehealersffs.8940 said:The guy that paid 10 dollars real money helps the company to invest/create new contentBy collecting gold YOU BENEFIT from ppl that used cash to get an item for free. The company cannot use the ingame gold to pay the Electrical Bills and keep the servers running up .The person that payed 10 dollars + and you by converting gold to gems = doesnt mean that the company will earn 20 real dollars1 pays and 1 ''benefit''

I recommend to do some serious research about the gem exchange to gold and vice versa. The connection was already shown in several well-founded documents by long-term observations. The overall result is: Arenanet benefits the most. Just saying. :)

Ok tell meYou pay 10 dollars per month , for 1 yearI use gold>gems for 1 yearHow much money the company makes ?

I dont effect you , because simply by converting money i dont increase the price of next Mount Skin .thats the company setting the prices .But if you use real money , you will get more gold . The company wants the cash ...the gold is something for the players to manage among them .And by you spending money you lower/try to stabilize the gold-gem conversion from highly spiking up , so i can benefit from low prices in my turnYou offer cash , i offer my free company ingame

@Vancho.8750

“ And you constantly come around with gems to gold, gold costs time and some point money is worth more then gold per hour, and on top of that the gems are bought for real money and traded with someone else for the gold, arenanet doesn't lose from this.”

This says a lot about your understanding of the monetization of the game. Anet makes exactly $0 from someone exchanging their gold for gems... $0

I’m not trying to be rude, but you’re not being honest, and certainly do not understand how generous Anet is.

@Swagger.1459 said:

@Swagger.1459 said:@"Vancho.8750" This game exists because of money, not the goodwill of donors or volunteers.

You do not understand business, like at all, nor how generous Anet has been to gw2 players. And you clearly don’t have any better recommendations.

“things got little bit more pushy with the "Macro" transactions”... Game doesn’t run in free pal.

I don't think people are arguing that anet needs to make money.The argument is they would like to see anet put as much effort into providing expansion-like content in the game and funnel resources into abandoned gamemodes with at least half the vigor of what they do with the gemstore and finding ways to monetize poorly packaged or designed 'garbage'.The game is just screaming 'buy this now' rather than 'play this now'

Right, and money also funds game development, so let’s complain that Anet is trying to make money... That’s a smart idea!

Some of you think it must be easy and cheap to develop a game and that things happen overnight.

Only a tiny fraction of that money goes back to development (even less these days). You can pretend the main purpose for the increasingly aggressive monetization is development funding but that won't make it true. Repeating it like a mantra wont do it either.

Anyone who has been with the game long enough can tell the difference. If the monetization is increasing but the game is looking cheaper, it doesn't take a genius to figure out where the money goes.

In the end, we bought a game not a store. If the store ends up looking like it's the priority, why should should I care if they can keep the lights on?

Sorry, I didn’t pretend anything, that’s you making things up and assuming. And if you bothered to pay attention I wrote “also”, not directly or entirely.

If you don’t like how Anet monetizes the game then don’t play it. Your problem is solved then.

Or I can voice my complaint on the official forums and wherever else I feel like it. Even (or especially) if it annoys.

Gotta love free speech.

@perilisk.1874 said:

Sorry, but Anet makes exactly $0 dollars when someone exchanges gold to gems.

@zealex.9410 said:

@Swagger.1459 said:@"Vancho.8750" This game exists because of money, not the goodwill of donors or volunteers.

You do not understand business, like at all, nor how generous Anet has been to gw2 players. And you clearly don’t have any better recommendations.

“things got little bit more pushy with the "Macro" transactions”... Game doesn’t run in free pal.

Im very thankful anet is giving me 2 or 3 days worth of content every 3 to 4 months but i dont consider that worth spending money for or sticking around in the meantime for.

> Everything else that's replayable and supposed to keep me playing sees a 10th of that support and it has caused my friends and me to lose interest in the game, a game we've sunk thousands of hours.

Me (and my friends) are all open to support the game if it can in turn support us with a good, strong content plan that we find better in quantity and quality than the current one, we are also open to pay money for said content because we've seen what that enables other devs to do.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess those other modes you find replayable that are supposed to keep you playing would be sPvP and WvW, neither of which really bring in any money for ArenaNet at all, basically you have the PvE content supporting the PvP/WvW content, so there's no wondering which is going to get more service over the other.

As for it being 2 or 3 days worth of content, again, that's each players personal opinion/threshold of what they find replayable, for example: the Prologue I find infinitely replayable, enough so that I've brought 3 characters through it and considering a few more. Of course that's just my personal opinion of it and I wouldn't dare apply it to anyone else that plays GW2.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

Im very thankful anet is giving me 2 or 3 days worth of content every 3 to 4 months but i dont consider that worth spending money for or sticking around in the meantime for.

> Everything else that's replayable and supposed to keep me playing sees a 10th of that support and it has caused my friends and me to lose interest in the game, a game we've sunk thousands of hours.

Me (and my friends) are all open to support the game if it can in turn support us with a good, strong content plan that we find better in quantity and quality than the current one, we are also open to pay money for said content because we've seen what that enables other devs to do.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess those other modes you find replayable that are supposed to keep you playing would be sPvP and WvW, neither of which really bring in any money for ArenaNet at all, basically you have the PvE content supporting the PvP/WvW content, so there's no wondering which is going to get more service over the other.

Its actually fractals and raids, and i dont get how these dont really bring the money like lw would, everyone wants to look good, everyone wants qol.

As for it being 2 or 3 days worth of content, again, that's each players personal opinion/threshold of what they find replayable, for example: the Prologue I find infinitely replayable, enough so that I've brought 3 characters through it and considering a few more. Of course that's just my personal opinion of it and I wouldn't dare apply it to anyone else that plays GW2.

Its just the average time ive found it takes to complete an episode, post that replaybility varries.

@Swagger.1459 said:Sorry, but Anet makes exactly $0 dollars when someone exchanges gold to gems.

But they do make money when people buy gems to exchange for gold. The exchange rate is reactive. Every time people buy gems with gold, it moves the exchange rate in favor of gems (that is, gems can buy more gold), which makes it cheaper to buy in-game items with fixed gold prices, like icy runestones or the griffon mount. That implicitly raises the value of gems, which entices more people to buy them.

@perilisk.1874 said:

@Swagger.1459 said:Sorry, but Anet makes exactly $0 dollars when someone exchanges gold to gems.

But they do make money when people buy gems to exchange for gold. The exchange rate is reactive. Every time people buy gems with gold, it moves the exchange rate in favor of gems (that is, gems can buy more gold), which makes it cheaper to buy in-game items with fixed gold prices, like icy runestones or the griffon mount. That implicitly raises the value of gems, which entices more people to buy them.

You are in for it now.... I mean how dare you bring logic and common sense into this! :astonished:

@perilisk.1874 said:

No kidding, it’s pretty obvious that Anet makes money when someone buys gems with money...

A player exchanging gold to gems is a $0 transaction, that’s the point, but some are obviously unaware of this.

@Swagger.1459 said:

No kidding, it’s pretty obvious that Anet makes money when someone buys gems...

A player exchanging gold to gems is a $0 transaction, that’s the point, but some are obviously unaware of this.

Uh no it's not a 0$ transaction because those gems were not aquired free, they didn't magically spawn from a chest in game like gold or drop from a boss etc etc. For it to be a 0$ transaction then the gems would have had to be generated in game from WITHIN the game eco system.

Instead someone spent real $$$ to buy those gems to then inject them into the "game eco sytem". As such every time someone buys gems with gold or gold with gem Anet has made $$$ because those gems come from only one source. Anet themselves as they are the only gem sellers which by defaults make anyone using gold to buy some Anets little gold bots for their gold selling business so to speak

@Calistin.6210 said:

Uh no it's not a 0$ transaction because those gems were not aquired free, they didn't magically spawn from a chest in game like gold or drop from a boss etc etc. For it to be a 0$ transaction then the gems would have had to be generated in game from WITHIN the game eco system.

Instead someone spent real $$$ to buy those gems to then inject them into the "game eco sytem". As such every time someone buys gems with gold or gold with gem Anet has made $$$ because those gems come from only one source. Anet themselves as they are the only gem sellers which by defaults make anyone using gold to buy some Anets little gold bots for their gold selling business so to speak

Really? I would like you to tell me how much money Anet earns for their bank account if a player exchanges gold to get 8,000 gems?

@Swagger.1459 said:

Really? I would like you to tell me how much Anet money earns for their bank account if a player exchanges gold to get 8,000 gems?

$100. You can be pedantic, I guess, and argue that they make nothing in that specific transaction because the price was paid when the gems were bought, not when they were spent to buy gold. But by that logic, nothing in the gem store makes them money.

@perilisk.1874 said:

Really? I would like you to tell me how much Anet money earns for their bank account if a player exchanges gold to get 8,000 gems?

$100. You can be pedantic, I guess, and argue that they make nothing in that specific transaction because the price was paid when the gems were bought, not when they were spent to buy gold. But by that logic, nothing in the gem store makes them money.

Anet earns $0 dollars off that exchange pal.

This is what I mean by some of you not getting it.

Listen peeps...

I buy 8,000 gems with money then anet earns $100.

If I exchange game gold for 8,000 gems then anet makes $0 off that transaction... Fantasy currency doesn't magically turn into real life cash...

If you peeps think you are putting cash in anet's coffers from exchanging your gold to gems then you better rethink that. Some of you should also rethink the complaints about non-essential items being on the gemstore with all things considered.

@"Swagger.1459" said:Listen peeps...

If I exchange game gold for 8,000 gems then anet makes $0 off that transaction... Fantasy currency doesn't magically turn into real life cash...

If you peeps think you are putting cash in anet's coffers from exchanging your gold to gems then you better rethink that. Some of you should also rethink the complaints about non-essential items being on the gemstore with all things considered.

No.

If you buy 8k gems with this "fantasy currency" (the gold) someone bought cash shop currency (gems) which cost 100$.

The only way your argument works is if it was done like say in DDO where you can earn turbine points simple by playing the game and releveling alt to earn more TP simply by playing the game. Then in this method you could say some transaction where the TP was grinded for in game and generated in game made Turbine 0$

In GW2 however you can't earn gems by grinding in game you can only exchange gold for gems in the exchange if someone buys the gems first and puts them up for sale first. Good luck buying gem if everyone stop buy it from Anet..then Anet would indeed be making 0$ per transaction.

@Calistin.6210 said:

@"Swagger.1459" said:Listen peeps...

No.

If you buy 8k gems with this "fantasy currency" (the gold) someone bought cash shop currency (gems) which cost 100$.

The only way your argument works is if it was done like say in DDO where you can earn turbine points simple by playing the game and releveling alt to earn more TP simply by playing the game. Then in this method you could say some transaction where the TP was grinded for
in game and generated in game
made Turbine 0$

In GW2 however you can't earn gems by grinding in game you can only exchange gold for gems in the exchange if
someone buys the gems first
and puts them up for sale first. Good luck buying gem if everyone stop buy it from Anet..then Anet would indeed be making 0$ per transaction.

You really don’t understand how it works. Think you should ponder this stuff for a while, because Anet doesn’t earn $200 from a $100 purchase...

And this whole time you thought you were putting money in anets pockets by changing gold to gems...

@Swagger.1459 said:

@Swagger.1459 said:Listen peeps...

No.

The only way your argument works is if it was done like say in DDO where you can earn turbine points simple by playing the game and releveling alt to earn more TP simply by playing the game. Then in this method you could say some transaction where the TP was grinded for
in game and generated in game
made Turbine 0$

In GW2 however you can't earn gems by grinding in game you can only exchange gold for gems in the exchange if
someone buys the gems first
and puts them up for sale first. Good luck buying gem if everyone stop buy it from Anet..then Anet would indeed be making 0$ per transaction.

You really don’t understand how it works. Think you should ponder this stuff for a while, because Anet doesn’t earn $200 from a $100 purchase...

And this whole time you thought you were putting money in anets pockets by changing gold to gems...

I never said they made 200$ did I, I said whoever originally bought the gem spent 100$ and the others using the exchange after he put it in there are making Anet money via proxy from the original purchaser.

You instead are being willfully obtuse with some meh duh highly unlikely scenario/example where the person buying gems for gold is getting the gems off the exchange from someone that might not have possibly bought the gem from Anet themselves and instead got them from the exchange to then sell them again. It's a stupid example as that would be a great way to lose gold and gems.

I think your the one that needs to ponder things a little more. If the exchange wasn't profitable for Anet it wouldn't exist and everyone would be forced to buy directly from Anet.

Alas Anet is far smarter than some people and realizes every gem purchase made with gold via the exchange brings $$$ into their coffers.

Dunno all this time maybe you thought the people selling gems for gold in the exchange didn't buy them first from Anet and would keep buying gems from Anet if they couldn't sell it for gold in said exchange......

@Calistin.6210 said:

You are in for it now.... I mean how dare you bring logic and common sense into this! :astonished:

you called it :)

@"Swagger.1459" said:You really don’t understand how it works.

Someone doesn't understand it, sure. Arenanet set up a system, so far as they have explained it, that mathematically in the long run works out to an exchange between players on both sides. One player has gems, the other has gold. If the player with gems wants gold, to buy stuff in game that costs gold, he can only do that through the players that put gold on the exchange, because this is how Arenanet designed it. They could have simply conjured up gold and sold it directly like anything else in the gem store, but that is not the system they implemented, nor is it how things work in the other direction.

When you say "spend gold to buy 8000 gems", it's the same thing as saying that someone else "spent 8000 gems to get gold", which is the same thing as saying "spent 8000 gems for a bunch of convenience items" or "bought 8000 gems and quit the game forever without spending them", as far as Arenanet's bottom line, since they make their money when you buy the gems, not when you use them up.

If you don't put gold on the exchange, then players can't spend gems to get gold to use for things that cost gold. If they want something that costs gold, but they can't get that gold with gems (or the amount of gold they can get per gem is so paltry that they can't afford the needed gems), then they don't buy gems for that purpose. If they don't buy those gems, then Arenanet doesn't make money.

When you give another player X gold for 8000 gems, essentially you're paying them in game money to pay Arenanet in real money.

@Swagger.1459 said:@Calistin.6210

I'm trying to be helpful to you, so let's do this again.. Exactly how much money does anet earn if you exchange gold to get 8,000 gems?

I am trying to help you. Do you really think when you use the exchange to buy gems the only person you are dealing with is the other player selling the gems?

You are not.

Stop being pedantic and trying to prove that you right over some petty technicality when the technicality you think you are using is false.