About bots...

Neural.1824

I don't play GW2 that often anymore. I log in to help friends who still play, maybe buy a new skin off the trading post, but that's about it.

While I absolutely love a certain other game, one thing I go have to give credit to Anet for with GW2 is that while bots were a problem in the first couple years (and to some extent still are), the people at Arenanet who have been in charge of taking care of this blight on gaming have done a really good job compared to even a few subscription based games.

Yes, they still exist, that much is clear, but I was sitting in a major city near a quest hub the other day in another game, and watched over 100 randomly named bots teleport in, talk to an NPC, then teleport out. And this has been going on for a very long time. Meanwhile the parent company constantly talks about how they are "banning in waves" and so on.

Anet has done and said similar things, but whatever measures they have taken actually seem to then be applied to whatever detection they are using, thus reducing the number.

Again, yes, I'm sure they are still here. Especially in WvW, or on the TP, but my current game is over 7 years old also, and they still pour out of the newbie zone in droves (and these are accounts that are doing activities that prove they are paid accounts, likely with stolen credit cards).

To that end, I thank Anet for at least trying to stay on top of that issue. I could rant for days on many other things, but on this, you guys need to be commended.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Although I'm not a long-time player I did have my share of encounters with these disgraceful bots and AFK farmers. This pisses me off and I sure report them, most of the times in-game but when the situation becomes outrageously offensive, I open a ticket. Arena Net might do something against them at times but not as often as they should, rendering us, the "good samaritans", grasping the hope of an intervention indicated by a copy-and-paste "you may not hear of us about it". Alright, that was a bit dramatic XD

Today's day started just terrible for me. While I was in the Labyrinth getting a few bags for personal use, after all, money come and go and this game is not a "second job" (so I don't sell them), there were three bot users or at least AFK farmers (maybe a multi-box user? I don't know, I don't care) in the same instance sitting at specific spots with a relatively high concentration of enemies around the central area. All Reapers surrounded by as many minions as possible. :(

I reported and blocked them but I wanted more. I wanted personal revenge for them being one of the many responsible for Reapers being such a poorly developed class with very weak DPS peaks if compared to other classes. As one of them was around Rebels and Ranger Skeletons, I positioned myself near him/her drawing enemies towards me and had his character being pushed behind one of those... mausoleums? His/her minions followed thus getting out of enemies' sight. It was the best 90mins of solo farming I had because I managed to reduce his/her incoming by at least 90%

It's a shame, really. Such a great game at mercy of cheaters, getting richer and richer by manipulating the market with fraudulently acquired loot. But I know that today I could smile every time I passed by this person. >:)

@magnusthorek.8027 said:As one of them was around Rebels and Ranger Skeletons, I positioned myself near him/her drawing enemies towards me and had his character being pushed behind one of those... mausoleums? His/her minions followed thus getting out of enemies' sight. It was the best 90mins of solo farming I had because I managed to reduce his/her incoming by at least 90%Be careful doing this. You could be sanctioned for griefing.

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:with all that dimish returns, these guys really profit something?

Sure, it doesn't seem to cost them anything to bot 24/7 and simply reap whatever they receive. Even with diminishing returns, they are guaranteed to get something for their "efforts". Those copper pieces add up, especially when you don't have to work to earn them.

@mezzer.4096 said:

@Knighthonor.4061 said:honestly whats the problem with them? serious question

the problem is that it is against the rules and it gives unfair materials to those botting, they can bot 24 hours a daywith 60 to 69 toons you can farm the tree farm 24/7 as it takes around 1 minute for each toon

and whats the difference of somebody doing that themselves? you get the same results.

@mezzer.4096 said:

the problem is that it is against the rules and it gives unfair materials to those botting, they can bot 24 hours a daywith 60 to 69 toons you can farm the tree farm 24/7 as it takes around 1 minute for each toon

While I don't agree with bots/botting, I don't really see any problem with the amount of materials that they acquire except for how that might affect the in-game economy. What I really don't like are the bots who stand in the way of game/story progression.

Aside from these things, those who bot don't really affect my ability to enjoy the game and they don't gain any unfair advantages over me in the game.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

and whats the difference of somebody doing that themselves? you get the same results.

there is a big difference in computer doing all the work while you do something else instead of being physically at the keyboardfrom my own farming, getting the elder trees 24/7 would get you 200G each day, I normally get 10G

How does one know that players collecting Elder Wood at that farm are bots? Who sits and watches, logs 60-69 names an hour for multiple hours and determines those names are bots?If one thinks that logging into that area, collecting wood and logging back out indicates one is a bot, then one is sorely mistaken. I have a character parked there, and that's exactly what I do.

How very quickly a post about how much better ANet is at combating bots (combotting?) than another game the OP enjoys transformed into a bash session thread, even going so far as to use pieces of the OP out of context to support their "arguments".

I guess people only read what they want to see.