[Suggestion for map] Paradise Island with trash problem

As the title says... a stunning, beautiful map - when clean. Here is where Tyrians trash ends up, when the (mapresetting) storm hits the island. The south side becomes heavily polluted with trash, dirty water, animals tangeled in trash and the north side has wildlife that is very hostile due to fleeing from the pollution on the south side.
The meta would be about cleaning the Island.Other events could be about planting trees, Free animals that are tangeled in trash, clean water, plant corals,...etc

What do u think?

@Frostfang.5109 said:As the title says... a stunning, beautiful map - when clean. Here is where Tyrians trash ends up, when the (mapresetting) storm hits the island. The south side becomes heavily polluted with trash, dirty water, animals tangeled in trash and the north side has wildlife that is very hostile due to fleeing from the pollution on the south side.

The meta would be about cleaning the Island.Other events could be about planting trees, Free animals that are tangeled in trash, clean water, plant corals,...etc

What do u think?

So after the Icebrood Saga we get the NGO Saga? Where a group of Dredge activists bring us to the aforementioned map in order to lecture us about the inherent evil of our way of life, and tell us that we must join communi.... Coff....., i mean, the Moletariate, in order to save the planet? And then, in the next episode, we have to attend a rally in Divinity's Reach where a young lady minister tells us that Tyria will be gone in ten years because of Dolyak farts and Airships? Nah, thank you. I think i will pass. I already know that polluting the environment is bad without Anet lecturing me about it.Besides, i think there are already several events/heart quests in the game that require you to clean some sort of pollution/contamination that occurred in certain places, so i don't think we need an entire map dedicated to this kind of iussue.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:Oh .. and I suppose the commander would be called Greta..

Hey, you stole my comment! I wanted to say that! XD

For me that sounds like coming home from real work to do virtual work. Although my current job is more coordinating other people than getting out in the field myself.

I'm not sure how it would work as a meta event but we do already have several hearts and events that focus on cleaning up pollution and corruption, like Help Carmel cleanse the Inquest pollution in Mount Malestrom and everything in and around the Thaumanova Reactor in Metrica Province. This is also the entire theme of Siren's Landing - the Pact are still working in Orr, trying to control or destroy the remaining Risen and restore the land, including reintroducing flora and fauna from places like Lightfoot Passage in the Straits of Devestation and Whisperwill Bogs in Bloodtide Coast where it was protected from Orrian corruption.

In Tyria it has the interesting complication that everything is magical, so pollution tends to have magical as well as mundane effects on the local environment, meaning all kinds of weird things can happen as a result.

@"Ayakaru.6583" said:We got s tropical island. Full of Karka and tras- i mean Consortium.We can have some current events there

If Anet could find a way to bring back Season 1 we'd have that already. That was part of the story of The Secret of Southsun and Last Stand at Southsun - the Consortium were doing experiments on the local wildlife which were driving the karka mad.

@Sir Alric.5078 said:

@Frostfang.5109 said:As the title says... a stunning, beautiful map - when clean. Here is where Tyrians trash ends up, when the (mapresetting) storm hits the island. The south side becomes heavily polluted with trash, dirty water, animals tangeled in trash and the north side has wildlife that is very hostile due to fleeing from the pollution on the south side.

What do u think?

So after the Icebrood Saga we get the NGO Saga? Where a group of Dredge activists bring us to the aforementioned map in order to lecture us about the inherent evil of our way of life, and tell us that we must join communi.... Coff....., i mean, the Moletariate, in order to save the planet? And then, in the next episode, we have to attend a rally in Divinity's Reach where a young lady minister tells us that Tyria will be gone in ten years because of Dolyak farts and Airships? Nah, thank you. I think i will pass. I already know that polluting the environment is bad without Anet lecturing me about it.Besides, i think there are already several events/heart quests in the game that require you to clean some sort of pollution/contamination that occurred in certain places, so i don't think we need an entire map dedicated to this kind of iussue.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:Oh .. and I suppose the commander would be called Greta..

Yeah next we'll be getting an ingame warning that due to climate change the desert will soon be the new polar continent and Brisban will be plagued by forest fires.. only non man made!

You forget that our characters are "Heroes". We spend our lives hacking, slashing, stabbing, and impaling our way across the world to make it a better place.

We would not collect the trash.

We would burn it where it lies.

::grabs flamethrower and gasmask, and sets off to 'purify' the island::

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

What do u think?

Yeah next we'll be getting an ingame warning that due to climate change the desert will soon be the new polar continent and Brisban will be plagued by forest fires.. only non man made!

Ice Dragon, Fire Dragon..... just saying......

@starlinvf.1358 said:

What do u think?

Ice Dragon, Fire Dragon..... just saying......

Ahh Dragon Warming.. gotcha :)

Yeah, something like this map already exists, and there are several events in core maps with a similar theme too.

It's surprisingly common that the brief for an environment design sounds a bit ... uh... contrived, but regardless of the plot the activity should always be fun (it's a game after all). This doesn't sound that enchanting, to be honest.

Garbage collection quests are most likely to succeed if there are bits of gold to be found in the pan. If the end state of the island gives you something a bit more remarkable than just a clean island, e.g. searching for the entrance to an underground lair or gathering pieces to construct a colossus, then the premise starts to sound a bit more interesting.

@Ben K.6238 said:Yeah, something like this map already exists, and there are several events in core maps with a similar theme too.

It's surprisingly common that the brief for an environment design sounds a bit ... uh... contrived, but regardless of the plot the activity should always be fun (it's a game after all). This doesn't sound that enchanting, to be honest.

Garbage collection quests are most likely to succeed if there are bits of gold to be found in the pan. If the end state of the island gives you something a bit more remarkable than just a clean island, e.g. searching for the entrance to an underground lair or gathering pieces to construct a colossus, then the premise starts to sound a bit more interesting.

This map could be very rich in resources from both gathering and killing when clean. Mother nature provides.

What do u think?

I think this would be a great suggestion for our poor planet Earth, but I sure hope Tyria is not a trash can. There is hope that Charr know of smarter ways to dispose of their industrial waste than to pollute the world, and Asura surely have already developed means for cleaning (someone should tell them that reactors aren't the best choice to generate energy, but they might have learnt by now from what happened in Metrica).

Seriously, this is no laughing matter and I don't want to have to deal with such a grim reality in a video game as well. So no. :-1:

Every race pollutes apart from sylvari.

I've always liked the massive plumes of smoke and ash from charr industry, the radioactive pollutants from asuran experiments, and the run-of-the-mill refuse from humans and norn. I'm sure the asura have found a pocket dimension to throw all of their waste into, or a similar way to atomise it, and i suspect that charr, norn and humans just bury/burn/sink theirs. Or maybe they have trade agreements with asuran/sylvari refuse collectors who would make a tidy profit in exchange for the other races having clean cities etc :)