Will Anet ever raise the level cap from 80?

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Donari.5237 said:As others have noted, it would be pointless in this game's design. Also, while ANet hasn't made a lot of the promises that players try to hold them to, they most definitely asserted in the HoT announcement that they would
never
raise the cap past 80, focusing instead on horizontal progression. While neither Colin nor MO are in charge of such decisions any more, the backlash would be enormous if that particular statement were revoked.

Well the backlash against Ascended gear was enormous and they still added it in. So it wouldn't surprise me if they added another tier of gear or increased the level cap.

Yeah, but that was some time ago.

It was, but they initially said that everyone at level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game. They went back on their word once before, so how can we really believe that they won't do it again?

@Healix.5819 said:Prior to launch they talked about how GW2 wasn't going to be like GW1, how it was going to have vertical progression and how they planned for increasing the level cap at some point. It's unlikely they'll do anything now; it's too late and they'd be afraid of the backlash.

That's a patently false statement, the game was designed from the ground up with a max level cap and no vertical progression beyond that point, the only difference between GW1 and GW2 was that instead of the cap being at 20, it would be at the more traditional 80, but that's where it was going to stop all along.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@Sir Arigius.6294 said:Will Anet ever raise the level cap from 80 to a higher level number?

I think it'd be neat to be 10 levels higher in a level 80 zone with and be able to buy armor sets with a higher defense number on them.

Who feels the same way? or is it a bad idea?

Why would you need higher defense numbers on level 80 PvE maps? Are you having problems staying alive on those maps? If you are maybe you should look at your traits, get different stats on your gear or get ascended gear. You can buy ascended trinkets with laurels and craft ascended weapons for the most effective increase in stats.

Not having any trouble at all staying alive. Was just wondering if they were ever going to raise the level bar like some game companies do.

Bethesda and Blizzard being good examples on how they increased leveling with a patch.

@Sir Arigius.6294 said:

@Sir Arigius.6294 said:Will Anet ever raise the level cap from 80 to a higher level number?

I think it'd be neat to be 10 levels higher in a level 80 zone with and be able to buy armor sets with a higher defense number on them.

Why would you need higher defense numbers on level 80 PvE maps? Are you having problems staying alive on those maps? If you are maybe you should look at your traits, get different stats on your gear or get ascended gear. You can buy ascended trinkets with laurels and craft ascended weapons for the most effective increase in stats.

Not having any trouble at all staying alive. Was just wondering if they were ever going to raise the level bar like some game companies do.

Bethesda and Blizzard being good examples on how they increased leveling with a patch.

They also increase gear levels too, do you want that? cause i dont.

Level 80 is fine as is, and id be annoyed if they didnt instantly remax all my equipment out to match the new level given how it is top tier. Theres no point in doing so either. Outside of the zones that are max level your stats just get down leveled(which is terrible for new players if level 80s are in new zones farming.)

@Zaklex.6308 said:

@"Healix.5819" said:Prior to launch they talked about how GW2 wasn't going to be like GW1, how it was going to have vertical progression and how they planned for increasing the level cap at some point. It's unlikely they'll do anything now; it's too late and they'd be afraid of the backlash.

That's a patently false statement, the game was designed from the ground up with a max level cap and no vertical progression beyond that point, the only difference between GW1 and GW2 was that instead of the cap being at 20, it would be at the more traditional 80, but that's where it was going to stop all along.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/radarhead/THEGAMEOVERCAST_EPISODE_68.mp3?dest-id=16506

58:35

"The level cap will be 80 on the initial release of the game and we would absolutely increase it further into the game, probably through expansions is the most likely place we would do that." - Colin Johanson, 2011

@Healix.5819 said:

@Healix.5819 said:Prior to launch they talked about how GW2 wasn't going to be like GW1, how it was going to have vertical progression and how they planned for increasing the level cap at some point. It's unlikely they'll do anything now; it's too late and they'd be afraid of the backlash.

"The level cap will be 80 on the initial release of the game and we would absolutely increase it further into the game, probably through expansions is the most likely place we would do that." - Colin Johanson, 2011

And 7 years have passed with no increase, if Anet are smart they will keep it that way

As for the post, when you reach level 90 you'll be doing the same thing when you were 80, pointless really

@nerfworthy.9618 said:I hope they don't. I am weary of the level increase other MMO's have with each expansion. It completely invalidates what you've done up until that point. With the mastery system in place there is absolutely no reason to raise the level cap in GW2.

If anything, to force people not to think of masteries as a vertical progression, they should not be a gotta catch em all thing. Either a tree like traits or some other system. Right now people are gathering all the mastery points on the map just to show off they are at max 'level', no matter if they are actually putting all of them into masteries or if (hot cough hot) there are some masteries and even whole lines that are pretty useless.

@Sir Arigius.6294 said:

They do not have dynamic leveling systems though.GW2 does. So if you have a higher level than the map your level gets brought down to match it, which is that of everyone else on the map. It only really matters when you are below the map level. Again, what does raising a level cap actually do for you? Proportionally, the monsters will still hit as hard and so will you.

@Menadena.7482 said:

@nerfworthy.9618 said:I hope they don't. I am weary of the level increase other MMO's have with each expansion. It completely invalidates what you've done up until that point. With the mastery system in place there is absolutely no reason to raise the level cap in GW2.

If anything, to force people not to think of masteries as a vertical progression, they should not be a gotta catch em all thing. Either a tree like traits or some other system. Right now people are gathering all the mastery points on the map just to show off they are at max 'level', no matter if they are actually putting all of them into masteries or if (hot
cough
hot) there are some masteries and even whole lines that are pretty useless.

You have to max out masteries to add mastery number to you charcter.People woh are 295 have all the lines filled out.And there is more mastery points then there is levels atm so some people have more then 295 points for sure.

@Healix.5819 said:

That was Colin speaking from his perspective, but that certainly wasn't the perspective of MO, nor was it what was stated when the game was released(by the time it was released in 2012 they where already saying no level cap increases ever).

@"Zaklex.6308" said:That was Colin speaking from his perspective, but that certainly wasn't the perspective of MO, nor was it what was stated when the game was released(by the time it was released in 2012 they where already saying no level cap increases ever).

Colin was the game director. If he wanted it, it was going to happen. He was still talking about increasing it after launch, for example in 2013. It wasn't until 2015 that he finally said they would never increase the level cap, as they had went with masteries instead.

As for MO...

"More generally, I hope we've been clear that GW2 is not a game with virtually no stat progression in it like GW1 was. That's why GW2 shipped with a higher level cap, and with a hard separation between PvE and PvP. In GW1 we never advanced the level cap through four campaigns/expansions. The game design didn't allow for it. But GW2 was designed without those restrictions, and we've always expected that we will someday raise the level cap in GW2." - Mike O'Brien, 2012

While on the subject of vertical progression, infusions were originally going to be a treadmill. They seemingly stopped here, whereas China continued on to +20 stat infusions.

@warherox.7943 said:

@Donari.5237 said:As others have noted, it would be pointless in this game's design. Also, while ANet hasn't made a lot of the promises that players try to hold them to, they most definitely asserted in the HoT announcement that they would
never
raise the cap past 80, focusing instead on horizontal progression. While neither Colin nor MO are in charge of such decisions any more, the backlash would be enormous if that particular statement were revoked.

Well the backlash against Ascended gear was enormous and they still added it in. So it wouldn't surprise me if they added another tier of gear or increased the level cap.

Ascended is difficult because in spite of the backlash there was also a significant number of people who wanted it. About a month into the game the forum was full of people complaining that they'd reached level 80, got full exotics (which pre-release info had implied would be harder than it is) with nice skins and now had nothing left to do except make a legendary (a lot of long-term goals, even core game ones, didn't exist back then - there were no collections for example). And back then precursor crafting didn't exist so making a legendary meant grinding gold to buy a precursor, or grinding gold to get rares to throw in the mystic forge hoping to get lucky. (Plus legendaries were exotics without stat selection, so literally the only reason to make one was if you liked the skin.)

The backlash against the addition of Fractals and ascended equipment might have been 'louder' but it was also much shorter. It still comes up occasionally but it's not as continuous as the people complaining they had nothing to work towards, and it also made that complaint much rarer.

I'm pretty much the opposite, I was very happy to get to level 80 and get a full set of exotics and decide I could stop worrying about upgrading my equipment (even though that happened months after ascended was introduced) and I still think Fractals and ascended items was a good solution because it was self-contained. If you wanted that progression/gear grind process you could play Fractals until you got your rings and infusions and then use them to play higher level Fractals. If you didn't want to do that you could ignore the whole thing or just play the Fractals at lower levels, and it would never impact on the rest of the game.

Even now the system has expanded I think that's still true. You'll still see newer players being told there is absolutely no reason to get ascended ASAP because everything (even expansion maps) is balanced for exotics so you only need ascended if you want a long-term goal or if you want to play the hardest group content (high level Fractals and raids) - which is also the easiest places to get ascended equipment.

I've been here since early release and still only 1 of my 11 permanent characters is in full ascended. And that's mainly because I realised I had most of a set from odd drops/crafting it for the skin and decided I may as well get on and finish it. I like knowing I can do anything on any of my level 80 characters, regardless of whether they're in exotics or ascended (or lower tiers, but exotics are easy enough to get that it doesn't really come up).

@Ultramex.1506 said:

And 7 years have passed with no increase, if Anet are smart they will keep it that way

As for the post, when you reach level 90 you'll be doing the same thing when you were 80, pointless really

I think you will be weaker than now, if you wear the same equipment and you and your equipment is downscale from 90 to 81 (downscaling is to mob-Lvl +1 isn’t it?). ;)

@Linken.6345 said:

If anything, to force people not to think of masteries as a vertical progression, they should not be a gotta catch em all thing. Either a tree like traits or some other system. Right now people are gathering all the mastery points on the map just to show off they are at max 'level', no matter if they are actually putting all of them into masteries or if (hot
cough
hot) there are some masteries and even whole lines that are pretty useless.

You have to max out masteries to add mastery number to you charcter.People woh are 295 have all the lines filled out.And there is more mastery points then there is levels atm so some people have more then 295 points for sure.

But why though? I can think of better things to do with 12 points in HOT than some of those top tier masteries. The only reason to show 295 there is just for bragging.

For example, if you never do fractals why even put a single point into the fractals mastery line?