Healing, and strange stat synergy.

I see a problem with gear sets containing the healing stat. I'm hoping we can discuss the nature of the problem, and if there are any possible solutions, other than the obvious solution of introducing new gear types.

When making a healer, you must ask yourself a couple of questions based on what your class can do.

• what else to I bring other than healing? (boons? Unique buffs? Damage?)
  • how am I going to do damage? (and by this I mean, does my class synergize better with power or condition damage?
  • am I expected to tank?

This creates issues when choosing gear. Only tanks healers can make use of Cleric's, or Apothecary's gear. (the significant 'healing primary, damage secondary' stats) and considering that most healers do not tank (or have very specific builds to pull it off).... This means that some large percentage of gear capable of main healing, cannot be chosen due the the presence of toughness.

Second issue. Am I going to provide boons? If so, now the gear is limited yet again, as concentration comes on very limited stat sets. Those stat sets virtually all heavily favor power damage. Meaning that, even classes where conditions offer better synergy, or more interesting weapon and utility choices, you are often better off taking harrier's gear even if you insist on using the condi moves.

So, it seems to me, that the game is lacking gear sets that allow for conditions and healing to co-exist. Even Seraph's gear squarely misses the mark with its precision primary stat. With so many classes having traits to accommodate for low precision its easy to waste stats with full Seraph. Then what do you do when your boon duration isn't high enough? Wear a few pieces of diviner? Now you're into some bizarre hybrid damage land... Which, is obviously not the right direction.

It seems that because healers are expected to have rather specific stats, we've ended up with a repeat of the Berserker Meta, as it existed at launch. The reason why we have the Harrier Meta for healers... Because it's the obviously best choice.

I guess I just wish there was a similar, condi oriented stat set.

And more options that include healing power without defensive stats.

Healing builds should be at least as diverse as dps builds, considering that healers do some dps, and there's no reason beyond current gear limits that you shouldn't be able to make a direct damage/healer/support, and a condi damage/healer/support.

Is there something I'm missing?

Yeah. What you're missing is that Power damage without precision and ferocity is wet noodle damage and has to go through the target's Toughness to reduce HP. Whereas condition damage would still do their full duration and damage even without expertise and ignores Tougness to reduce the target's HP.

@borgs.6103 said:Yeah. What you're missing is that Power damage without precision and ferocity is wet noodle damage and has to go through the target's Toughness to reduce HP. Whereas condition damage would still do their full duration and damage even without expertise and ignores Tougness to reduce the target's HP.

That's a great point.

The only counter argument to I that I can think of... Is that, currently power builds have ways to get back enough stats. First, Zealot and Diviner allow mixing with Harrier to get functionally mixable hybrid stats when no such option exists for condition damage while retaining healing power and/or concentration in the same way.

So, while conditions penetrate toughness, they are countered by vitality, and take time to be effective, and can be cleansed.

Are you implying that strong healing power, and conditions would be overpowered? I can see that in PvP and WvW to an extent, but direct damage can't be cleansed like condis can. And if you apply less, weaker stacks, due to an edited build, then they are easier to cleanse. (easier to wait out, heal through, and blow off at peak output)

Because I think the reduced investment in damage stats equally effects either damage type in so far as output. Especially because healing builds will have to take weapons and utilities for healing expressly, and loose access to condi bombs, while having the traits and abilities to be effective healers. (usually. If not, then they don't have sustained applications , and end up all bombs...Like the poison on heal scrapper.)

So, in short I think the current state of balance between condition damage and power is such that I don't think opening up the gear options would result in a direct meta shift to all condi healers, because for some classes, like druid, harrier's will still be the best option for them.

@BrokenGlass.9356 said:

@borgs.6103 said:Yeah. What you're missing is that Power damage without precision and ferocity is wet noodle damage and
has to go through
the target's Toughness to reduce HP. Whereas condition damage would still do their full duration and damage even without expertise and
ignores
Tougness to reduce the target's HP.

That's a great point.

The only counter argument to I that I can think of... Is that, currently power builds have ways to get back enough stats. First, Zealot and Diviner allow mixing with Harrier to get
functionally mixable hybrid stats
when no such option exists for condition damage while retaining healing power and/or concentration in the same way.When you build-up for hybrid Damage-Heal-Boon Duration stats, you will lose something. So you'll just be gimping your Healing or Concentration for the sake of doing mediocre damage. You can go Shaman+Plaguedoctor+Seraph Combo, It's like Zealot+Diviner+Harrier but you get HP as well. Just go all in full support stats without raising if you're building for raids. Honestly I'd rather have a Vitality-Healing-Concentration combo. But that would be too OP.So, while conditions penetrate toughness, they are countered by vitality, and take time to be effective, and can be cleansed.Power also still has to go through that Vitality that is further reduced by toughness. Aside from selected mechanic phases, AI don't really cleanse conditions.Are you implying that strong healing power, and conditions would be overpowered? I can see that in PvP and WvW to an extent, but direct damage can't be cleansed like condis can. And if you apply less, weaker stacks, due to an edited build, then they are easier to cleanse. (easier to wait out, heal through, and blow off at peak output)I honestly don't get where you're going with this. Open-World solo is so trivial you don't really need to think about it too much. If you're in end-game PvE, you have other people in your group to share the burden. Also AI's don't heal and condi clear like players do.Because I think the reduced investment in damage stats equally effects either damage type in so far as output. Especially because healing builds will have to take weapons and utilities for healing expressly, and loose access to condi bombs, while having the traits and abilities to be effective healers. (usually. If not, then they don't have sustained applications , and end up all bombs...Like the poison on heal scrapper.)

So, in short I think the current state of balance between condition damage and power is such that I don't think opening up the gear options would result in a direct meta shift to all condi healers, because for some classes, like druid, harrier's will
still
be the best option for them.Can't really tell what Anet would add next. Diviner's was a surprise, and so does Minstrel during HoT. Maybe they will add the Condi version of Harrier's in the future.

@borgs.6103 said:

@borgs.6103 said:Yeah. What you're missing is that Power damage without precision and ferocity is wet noodle damage and
has to go through
the target's Toughness to reduce HP. Whereas condition damage would still do their full duration and damage even without expertise and
ignores

That's a great point.

The only counter argument to I that I can think of... Is that, currently power builds have ways to get back enough stats. First, Zealot and Diviner allow mixing with Harrier to get
when no such option exists for condition damage while retaining healing power and/or concentration in the same way.When you build-up for hybrid Damage-Heal-Boon Duration stats, you will lose something. So you'll just be gimping your Healing or Concentration for the sake of doing mediocre damage. You can go Shaman+Plaguedoctor+Seraph Combo, It's like Zealot+Diviner+Harrier but you get HP as well. Just go all in full support stats without raising if you're building for raids. Honestly I'd rather have a Vitality-Healing-Concentration combo. But that would be too OP.

Currently, the condi/ support gear sets have defensive stats, where the power sets have offensive stats. Meaning that a power based support build can tune thier gear, by swapping a few pieces. Wearing full diviner's but overcapped boon duration through a triat? Still need precision? Swap your chest to assassin, check stats, tune to taste.

Whith the condi stat spreads, you can't tune all of your offensive stats without making some sacrifice to defense. Some sacrifice to defense you don't need.

Also, it's possible to tune your healing down the better your static group gets, allowing you to take more damage in the slots where you have too much.

A support build in raids needs as much healing power as your group's skill level is low. If the group is good enough to not take damage... Then... What are you there for? The gear tuning let's you start on Harrier's Alacrigade, and end on Diviner's Alacrigade all without loosing boon duration as you transition piece by piece. (not that you'd transition all the way if you're still the healer.)

Condi gear? Offers no such tuning possibilities. And basically never gives you expertise, condition damage, healing power, and concentration. Even getting 3 of the 4 in quantities that make any sense is difficult. The only Meta Condi build uses Marshall's and Shaman's mix. (heal scourge) and even there, they make a lot of consessions, and end up with tons of vitality the build doesn't need... But ends up with anyways.... Because of the gear avaliable. (if 4 stat gear, primary Healing, Condi, secondary expertise, concentration existed, they'd probably use it. And pump out tons of might while they do ther rest of thier kit.... Flat upgrade. But it doesn't exist.)

So, while conditions penetrate toughness, they are countered by vitality, and take time to be effective, and can be cleansed.Power also still has to go through that Vitality that is further reduced by toughness. Aside from selected mechanic phases, AI don't really cleanse conditions.

True didn't think of that.

Are you implying that strong healing power, and conditions would be overpowered? I can see that in PvP and WvW to an extent, but direct damage can't be cleansed like condis can. And if you apply less, weaker stacks, due to an edited build, then they are easier to cleanse. (easier to wait out, heal through, and blow off at peak output)I honestly don't get where you're going with this. Open-World solo is so trivial you don't really need to think about it too much. If you're in end-game PvE, you have other people in your group to share the burden. Also AI's don't heal and condi clear like players do.

I brought it up, because I don't believe that conditions and healing stats together in PvE would be overpowered. But in PvP I figured it could let a person have high sustain for themselves and a group, while providing condition pressure. But that the counter play of cleansing covers it.

Because I think the reduced investment in damage stats equally effects either damage type in so far as output. Especially because healing builds will have to take weapons and utilities for healing expressly, and loose access to condi bombs, while having the traits and abilities to be effective healers. (usually. If not, then they don't have sustained applications , and end up all bombs...Like the poison on heal scrapper.)

So, in short I think the current state of balance between condition damage and power is such that I don't think opening up the gear options would result in a direct meta shift to all condi healers, because for some classes, like druid, harrier's will
still
be the best option for them.Can't really tell what Anet would add next. Diviner's was a surprise, and so does Minstrel during HoT. Maybe they will add the Condi version of Harrier's in the future.

@Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:Well, there are 5 stat combos for healing + concentration. Harrier for power, seraph/plaguedoctor's for condi, and giver/minstrel for tanking. Since healer damage is pretty trivial, using condi should work perfectly fine. Im guessing people just want to be optimal and not waste major stats on vitality or precision.

That's exactly it. If you overcap a stat, it's completely wasted. (unless you have a % conversion trait) power gear is set up such that you can edit for overcaps. Condi gear isn't.Also, because the condi healing gear are both 4 stat, and healing and concentration are the low stat number... Meaning that, with how boons work and the need for 100% uptime... That condi builds cannot provide enough boon duration. In power builds, this can be edited with a few pieces of diviner gear. (as it is the only stat set in the game allowing for concentration primary stat) but no such gear set exists to allow condi healers to meet the basic needs of a raid healer. (like alacrity/quickness uptime, 25 might, 100% fury, ect)

I propose 3 new gear sets, to cover the gaps.

Antagonizer Stats (3 stat)

• condition damage (high stat)
  • healing power (low stat)
  • concentration (low stat)

This would be the condi version of Harrier, and would allow for a pure condi Healer buffer build. No precision (condi on crit traits and sigils) no expertise... I would bet builds made this way, will output very close to harrier's.

Soothsayer Stats (4 stat)

• concentration (high stat)
  • precision (low stat)
  • expertise (low stat)

The pure condi version of Diviner's, allowing a primary stat gear, to patch holes in the concentration stat, while not loosing too much dps from condis. And usable on a condi build that wants to output buffing conditions. Condi quickbrand, or potentially allacrigade would probably use it right away.

Idolater Stats (4 stat)

• healing power (high stat)
  • expertise (high stat)
  • condition damage (low stat)

This would be the perfect gear, not because you'd want to stat into it fully... but because its the perfect thing for tuning. You can make up losses from using Seraph (low stat healing, and concentration.) or recover the missing expertise from Antagonizer... Or even wear it in a mix with Soothsayer to cover all your bases. (albeit with low precision, which a few pieces of Seraph could make up for.)

@BrokenGlass.9356 said:

@Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:Well, there are 5 stat combos for healing + concentration. Harrier for power, seraph/plaguedoctor's for condi, and giver/minstrel for tanking. Since healer damage is pretty trivial, using condi should work perfectly fine. Im guessing people just want to be optimal and not waste major stats on vitality or precision.

That's exactly it. If you overcap a stat, it's completely wasted. (unless you have a % conversion trait) power gear is set up such that you can edit for overcaps. Condi gear isn't.Also, because the condi healing gear are both 4 stat, and healing and concentration are the low stat number... Meaning that, with how boons work and the need for 100% uptime... That condi builds cannot provide enough boon duration. In power builds, this can be edited with a few pieces of diviner gear. (as it is the only stat set in the game allowing for concentration primary stat) but no such gear set exists to allow condi healers to meet the basic needs of a raid healer. (like alacrity/quickness uptime, 25 might, 100% fury, ect)

This would be the condi version of Harrier, and would allow for a pure condi Healer buffer build. No precision (condi on crit traits and sigils) no expertise... I would bet builds made this way, will output very close to harrier's.

• precision (low stat)
  • expertise (low stat)

The pure condi version of Diviner's, allowing a primary stat gear, to patch holes in the concentration stat, while not loosing too much dps from condis. And usable on a condi build that wants to output buffing conditions. Condi quickbrand, or potentially allacrigade would probably use it right away.

Idolater Stats (4 stat)
  • expertise (high stat)

This would be the perfect gear, not because you'd want to stat into it fully... but because its the perfect thing for tuning. You can make up losses from using Seraph (low stat healing, and concentration.) or recover the missing expertise from Antagonizer... Or even wear it in a mix with Soothsayer to cover all your bases. (albeit with low precision, which a few pieces of Seraph could make up for.)

And how would you balance that power damage have to battle both toughness and vitality and conditions only vitality in pve since monsters dont clense conditions like players do?

This is way your it will do similar damage as harrier is wrong it would do more damage thne harrier.

@BrokenGlass.9356 said:

has to go through
ignores

That's a great point.

when no such option exists for condition damage while retaining healing power and/or concentration in the same way.When you build-up for hybrid Damage-Heal-Boon Duration stats, you will lose something. So you'll just be gimping your Healing or Concentration for the sake of doing mediocre damage. You can go Shaman+Plaguedoctor+Seraph Combo, It's like Zealot+Diviner+Harrier but you get HP as well. Just go all in full support stats without raising if you're building for raids. Honestly I'd rather have a Vitality-Healing-Concentration combo. But that would be too OP.

Currently, the condi/ support gear sets have defensive stats, where the power sets have offensive stats. Meaning that a power based support build can
tune
thier gear, by swapping a few pieces. Wearing full diviner's but overcapped boon duration through a triat? Still need precision? Swap your chest to assassin, check stats, tune to taste.

Whith the condi stat spreads, you can't tune
all
of your offensive stats without making some sacrifice to defense. Some sacrifice to defense you don't need.

Also, it's possible to tune your healing down the better your static group gets, allowing you to take more damage in the slots where you have too much.

A support build in raids needs as much healing power as your group's skill level is low. If the group is good enough to not take damage... Then... What are you there for? The gear tuning let's you start on Harrier's Alacrigade, and end on Diviner's Alacrigade all without loosing boon duration as you transition piece by piece. (not that you'd transition all the way if you're still the healer.)

Condi gear? Offers no such tuning possibilities. And basically never gives you expertise, condition damage, healing power, and concentration. Even getting 3 of the 4 in quantities that make any sense is difficult. The only Meta Condi build uses Marshall's and Shaman's mix. (heal scourge) and even there, they make a lot of consessions, and end up with tons of vitality the build doesn't need... But ends up with anyways.... Because of the gear avaliable. (if 4 stat gear, primary Healing, Condi, secondary expertise, concentration existed, they'd probably use it. And pump out tons of might while they do ther rest of thier kit.... Flat upgrade. But it doesn't exist.)

So, while conditions penetrate toughness, they are countered by vitality, and take time to be effective, and can be cleansed.Power also still has to go through that Vitality that is further reduced by toughness. Aside from selected mechanic phases, AI don't really cleanse conditions.

Are you implying that strong healing power, and conditions would be overpowered? I can see that in PvP and WvW to an extent, but direct damage can't be cleansed like condis can. And if you apply less, weaker stacks, due to an edited build, then they are easier to cleanse. (easier to wait out, heal through, and blow off at peak output)I honestly don't get where you're going with this. Open-World solo is so trivial you don't really need to think about it too much. If you're in end-game PvE, you have other people in your group to share the burden. Also AI's don't heal and condi clear like players do.

I brought it up, because I don't believe that conditions and healing stats together in PvE would be overpowered. But in PvP I figured it could let a person have high sustain for themselves and a group, while providing condition pressure. But that the counter play of cleansing covers it.

still

Heal scourge actually needs that vitality as vitality increase yoyr life force.

@Linken.6345 said:

• precision (low stat)
  • expertise (low stat)

Idolater Stats (4 stat)
  • expertise (high stat)

And how would you balance that power damage have to battle both toughness and vitality and conditions only vitality in pve since monsters dont clense conditions like players do?

This is way your it will do similar damage as harrier is wrong it would do more damage thne harrier.

I disagree. Your assumption is completely ignoring a couple factors. 1) time. Direct is instant, condis aren't. 2) the size of direct damage, vs the quantity of condition stacks has already been balanced. Currently, direct damage and condition damage are in competition for 'best dps build' and, 3) situations. The graph for power damage looks very skpikey over the course of a fight, where as conditions are a long slow plateau. Short fights and phases favor power damage, as it happens more immediately... And long ones favor conditions... Because there's more time to apply more stacks. And bassicly every direct damage move hits for higher base damage than a single condition tick. But some classes can hit as fast as conditions can be applied.

Bassicly, you are assuming that conditions are better than direct, which isn't true. They aren't magic. And a tiny investment into them, compared to a full stat set, is just as sad as power damage. Let's not forget the total lack of expertise we're talking about. (in this example) which nerfs condi down a lot. About 100% assuming no duration at all.... Vs direct, which with ferocity can explode over 200% extra damage. So condis ignore toughness? Yes, but also only ever amplify to 100% because of expertise cap. Good luck hitting the ferocity cap.

So, even if the Agonizer set does slightly more on a golem... I can bet you the harrier Build does more damage on Samarog due to split phases, and no condi ramp up time. It's just going to depend on how that boss works, and whether or not they need condi dps or not for an optimal clear.

@sokeenoppa.5384 said:

has to go through
ignores

That's a great point.

Currently, the condi/ support gear sets have defensive stats, where the power sets have offensive stats. Meaning that a power based support build can
tune
thier gear, by swapping a few pieces. Wearing full diviner's but overcapped boon duration through a triat? Still need precision? Swap your chest to assassin, check stats, tune to taste.

all
of your offensive stats without making some sacrifice to defense. Some sacrifice to defense you don't need.

still

This is true, but running soul reaping takes care of most of it, so long as you aren't hitting all your shade skills on CD you should be OK. When I ran Heal Scourge, it was right after PoF launch, and I geared mine in seraphs. Worked great. No lifeforce problems. Decent damage.

Either way, just predicting a minor meta shift if these stats sets were available.

@BrokenGlass.9356 said:

• precision (low stat)
  • expertise (low stat)

Idolater Stats (4 stat)
  • expertise (high stat)

I disagree. Your assumption is completely ignoring a couple factors. 1) time. Direct is instant, condis aren't. 2) the size of direct damage, vs the quantity of condition stacks has already been balanced. Currently, direct damage and condition damage are in competition for 'best dps build' and, 3) situations. The graph for power damage looks very skpikey over the course of a fight, where as conditions are a long slow plateau. Short fights and phases favor power damage, as it happens more immediately... And long ones favor conditions... Because there's more time to apply more stacks. And bassicly every direct damage move hits for higher base damage than a single condition tick. But some classes can hit as fast as conditions can be applied.

Bassicly, you are assuming that conditions are
better
than direct, which isn't true. They aren't magic. And a tiny investment into them, compared to a full stat set, is just as sad as power damage. Let's not forget the total lack of expertise we're talking about. (in this example) which nerfs condi down a lot. About 100% assuming no duration at all.... Vs direct, which with ferocity can explode over 200% extra damage. So condis ignore toughness? Yes, but also only ever amplify to 100% because of expertise cap. Good luck hitting the ferocity cap.

So, even if the Agonizer set does slightly more on a golem... I can bet you the harrier Build does more damage on Samarog due to split phases, and no condi ramp up time. It's just going to depend on how that boss works, and whether or not they need condi dps or not for an optimal clear.

has to go through
ignores

That's a great point.

tune

all

still

This is true, but running soul reaping takes care of most of it, so long as you aren't hitting all your shade skills on CD you should be OK. When I ran Heal Scourge, it was right after PoF launch, and I geared mine in seraphs. Worked great. No lifeforce problems. Decent damage.

Either way, just predicting a minor meta shift if these stats sets were available.

Yeah the funny thing about heal scourge is that it does its job even in full vipers if we are talking about bosses bosses where usually 1 healer is enough.

@KidRoleplay.3615 said:If only we were able to put stats wherever we pleased...

I would have sooo much fun with that, it's not even funny.

And you'd probably break the game. Let's face it, many of GW2's underlying systems (here: stats, boons, traits) are a mess that's just a step away from total failure. Total stat freedom would instantly evaporate any pretence of balance.

@CptAurellian.9537 said:

@KidRoleplay.3615 said:If only we were able to put stats wherever we pleased...

I would have sooo much fun with that, it's not even funny.

And you'd probably break the game. Let's face it, many of GW2's underlying systems (here: stats, boons, traits) are a mess that's just a step away from total failure. Total stat freedom would instantly evaporate any pretence of balance.

Mostly. Because stats have caps, the full stat freedom wouldn't necessarily break the game... It would shatter the meta. And everyone without the legendary armor would cry. But... It wouldn't cause a total meltdown.

That being said. I would prefer restricted stat sets. There's just not enough of them to allow the build system to do everything it could do.

@"BrokenGlass.9356" said:

Mostly. Because stats have caps, the full stat freedom wouldn't necessarily break the game... It would shatter the meta.

I am skeptical of this statement. My intuition is that it would break the game, as Anet seems terrified of releasing some primary stat condi damage gear with expertise as a secondary. Lets work through an example and see. Here is sc's condi weaver:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGhAw2lZwmYXMJmJOqOmvKA-zRJYmRDfZEXBUZCo5BREqDiCfL6eWB-e

If you turn on the typical raid buffs, you have 3468 power, 2043 precision, 2782 condi damage, 748 expertise. Now, if you swap all the vipers gear to trail blazers, you will see the power drops to 2295 and the precision drops to 1492. This means we are gaining 1173 power and 551 precision from our vipers gear.

Now, as we know, precision can help with condi damage. For example, the burning precision trait has an on crit effect. So, for sake of simplicity, lets just say in a hypothetical situation with stat freedom, we left that 551 precision, but moved that 1173 power over to condi damage. Our condi damage increases from 2782 to 3955.

The damage formula for burning is:

(0.155 * Condition Damage) + 131

This puts our vipers build at 562 burning per stack, and our theoretical build at 744 burning per stack. This is a 32% increase in our flame ticks.

The damage formulate for bleeding is:

(0.06 * Condition Damage) + 22

This puts our vipers build at 189, and our theoretical build at 259, a 37% increase.

Now, our ferocity and precision stayed the same, so we can simply recognize that our new power is 66% of our old power.

I took a dps log I found on sc's discord for a condi weaver. 56% of their damage is burning, 22% is bleeding, the remaining 22% is power damage. The benchmark is 38,400. So we have the following changes moving from vipers to our theoretical build:burning: 21504 -> 28,467bleeding: 8448 -> 11,576power: 8448 -> 5591

total dps: 38400 -> 45634

Is that enough of a boost to be considered breaking the game? I don't know. We have had times when ele was hitting those numbers in the staff tempest era. I'm surprised, its not clearly broken. Although we are already at the point where players can skip a LOT of mechanics. Even my static, which is not a hardcore group, has dps'd sammy quick enough to bug the break bar a few times. Too much power creep absolutely will break the game, not just in a balance sense, but in an actual bugs sense.

The effect should be more severe on condi classes that have weaker direct damage skills. I have to imagine that fully customizable stats would seriously break dps condi chrono.

@thrag.9740 said:

Mostly. Because stats have caps, the full stat freedom wouldn't necessarily break the game... It would shatter the meta.

I am skeptical of this statement. My intuition is that it would break the game, as Anet seems terrified of releasing some primary stat condi damage gear with expertise as a secondary. Lets work through an example and see. Here is sc's condi weaver:

If you turn on the typical raid buffs, you have 3468 power, 2043 precision, 2782 condi damage, 748 expertise. Now, if you swap all the vipers gear to trail blazers, you will see the power drops to 2295 and the precision drops to 1492. This means we are gaining 1173 power and 551 precision from our vipers gear.

Now, as we know, precision can help with condi damage. For example, the burning precision trait has an on crit effect. So, for sake of simplicity, lets just say in a hypothetical situation with stat freedom, we left that 551 precision, but moved that 1173 power over to condi damage. Our condi damage increases from 2782 to 3955.

This puts our vipers build at 562 burning per stack, and our theoretical build at 744 burning per stack. This is a 32% increase in our flame ticks.

This puts our vipers build at 189, and our theoretical build at 259, a 37% increase.

Now, our ferocity and precision stayed the same, so we can simply recognize that our new power is 66% of our old power.

I took a dps log I found on sc's discord for a condi weaver. 56% of their damage is burning, 22% is bleeding, the remaining 22% is power damage. The benchmark is 38,400. So we have the following changes moving from vipers to our theoretical build:burning: 21504 -> 28,467bleeding: 8448 -> 11,576power: 8448 -> 5591

Is that enough of a boost to be considered breaking the game? I don't know. We have had times when ele was hitting those numbers in the staff tempest era. I'm surprised, its not clearly broken. Although we are already at the point where players can skip a LOT of mechanics. Even my static, which is not a hardcore group, has dps'd sammy quick enough to bug the break bar a few times. Too much power creep absolutely will break the game, not just in a balance sense, but in an actual bugs sense.

The effect should be more severe on condi classes that have weaker direct damage skills. I have to imagine that fully customizable stats would seriously break dps condi chrono.

Agreed but in that case the game would simple get rebalanced.

As is right now, expertise and thus condi duration is capped at 100%, similar to precision but unlike ferocity. The most beneficial stats for condi classes are in general condition damage, expertise and precision putting 2 capped stats (precision and experitse both do not benefit past 100%) on condi performance versus 1 capped stat with power (since ferocity scales infinately).

Now two new condi stat combinations with:

• condition damage, expertise and precision (as 3 stat combi)
  • condition damage, expertise, power and precision (as 4 stat combi)

would obviously allow for more condition damage and more precision at the expense of power. Expertise is already getting capped, so there is no actual direct benefit here. A stat combination of condition damage, precision and expertise or condition damage, precision, expertise and power would also work (depending on how easy the class reaches 100% condition duration on its conditions, which vary from class to class). The main problem for condition builds currently is: there is no stat combination which puts the 3 damage stats together without having power or some defensive stat in a primary spot.

@thrag.9740 said:

I am skeptical of this statement. My intuition is that it would break the game, as Anet seems terrified of releasing some primary stat condi damage gear with expertise as a secondary. Lets work through an example and see. Here is sc's condi weaver:

You just overcapped condition damage. Or should have. If they let us do this stuff.

@BrokenGlass.9356 said:

You just overcapped condition damage. Or should have. If they let us do this stuff.

Condition damage has no cap.

@BrokenGlass.9356 said:

What? Do you mean condi duration? Check my math, the condi duration stayed the same. If you mean condi damage, then I have no idea what your talking about, thats like saying power can overcap.

@thrag.9740 said:

What? Do you mean condi duration? Check my math, the condi duration stayed the same. If you mean condi damage, then I have no idea what your talking about, thats like saying power can overcap.

We're way out in theory land now. And we're talking about giving up a stat to super boost a stat. (well off topic for, 'what stats synergize, and should there be more stat sets to allow for condi healer builds, but hey.) so, yes... Currently there is no cap on condi damage and power... But as your original math explains... This would be too powerful. So, you 'should have broke the cap' with that. (the currently nonexistent cap on damage stats.)

So... My original contention that stat swapping wouldn't break the game was based on the assumption that you couldn't make 2 stat gear. I figured you'd pick a) 3 stat b) 4 stat. Then, a) pick the strong stats b) pick the weak stats.

But you kinda went way past that... Which yes would be broken.

And I'm not advocating for 'pick the stat you want' gear. I just want more options with concentration and healing power and condi damage on it.