Returning After Years, Completely Lost.

My wife and I used to play this, I reached max level but I did so by exploring and finishing the story quests. I've never done a fractal or raid. Never crafted anything. Never done WvW or PvP. and this was before HoT released.

We both bought the 80$ packs for our selves 2 weeks ago and we're working our way through the HoT and PoF campaigns we have our glider and the first 4 mounts.

I genuinely don't know what to do when she's not on though. I play ~10 hours a week more than she does and I don't want to advance the story stuff without her, what should I be focusing on in the mean time?

I have like 500k Karma and no idea what it's for.I have hundreds of spirit shards and no idea what they're for.I have a full set of exotic gear. I don't know how to get anything better.I have hundreds and hundreds of like 12 different kinds of currencies and I have no idea what any of them are for.I have so many crafting materials that everything i gather is storing in my bags because they won't fit in my crafting bank.

Where do I start?

@"GrayOne.8075" said:My wife and I used to play this, I reached max level but I did so by exploring and finishing the story quests. I've never done a fractal or raid. Never crafted anything. Never done WvW or PvP. and this was before HoT released.

We both bought the 80$ packs for our selves 2 weeks ago and we're working our way through the HoT and PoF campaigns we have our glider and the first 4 mounts.

I genuinely don't know what to do when she's not on though. I play ~10 hours a week more than she does and I don't want to advance the story stuff without her, what should I be focusing on in the mean time?

I have like 500k Karma and no idea what it's for.I have hundreds of spirit shards and no idea what they're for.I have a full set of exotic gear. I don't know how to get anything better.I have hundreds and hundreds of like 12 different kinds of currencies and I have no idea what any of them are for.I have so many crafting materials that everything i gather is storing in my bags because they won't fit in my crafting bank.

Where do I start?

Either sell or start crafting to deal with the materials.Currencies /wiki+name each to see what you can buy with it.Crafting will net you ascended gear ( you can also start doing 1-25 fractals for ascended jewelery and work on up there and get weapons/armor instead of crafting)I have about 10k spirit shards, you dont need to do anything with it since they take no space ( people seem to use it to upgrade materials tho since tier 5 is pretty worthless but tier 6 is needed for legendaries so worth alot more)Karma you can get some nice stuff for itOne example is https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Prototype_Position_Rewinder it helps alot of you have trubble in jumping puzzles.

@"Linken.6345" said:

Either sell or start crafting to deal with the materials.Currencies /wiki+name each to see what you can buy with it.Crafting will net you ascended gear ( you can also start doing 1-25 fractals for ascended jewelery and work on up there and get weapons/armor instead of crafting)I have about 10k spirit shards, you dont need to do anything with it since they take no space ( people seem to use it to upgrade materials tho since tier 5 is pretty worthless but tier 6 is needed for legendaries so worth alot more)Karma you can get some nice stuff for itOne example is https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Prototype_Position_Rewinder it helps alot of you have trubble in jumping puzzles.

Whoah.... that rewinder! I had no idea anything like that existed.... is there some kind of list of all the stuff I can buy with Karma? I'm 100% getting that. I'm working on crafting right now. I took JC/LW apparently and it was at like 125 each. I have all the mats to get to 400 on both already though.

@GrayOne.8075 said:

@"Linken.6345" said:

Either sell or start crafting to deal with the materials.Currencies /wiki+name each to see what you can buy with it.Crafting will net you ascended gear ( you can also start doing 1-25 fractals for ascended jewelery and work on up there and get weapons/armor instead of crafting)I have about 10k spirit shards, you dont need to do anything with it since they take no space ( people seem to use it to upgrade materials tho since tier 5 is pretty worthless but tier 6 is needed for legendaries so worth alot more)Karma you can get some nice stuff for itOne example is
it helps alot of you have trubble in jumping puzzles.

Whoah.... that rewinder! I had no idea anything like that existed.... is there some kind of list of all the stuff I can buy with Karma? I'm 100% getting that. I'm working on crafting right now. I took JC/LW apparently and it was at like 125 each. I have all the mats to get to 400 on both already though.

Sadly that one is quite unique =)

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_karma_merchant_items

@GrayOne.8075 said:My wife and I used to play this, I reached max level but I did so by exploring and finishing the story quests. I've never done a fractal or raid. Never crafted anything. Never done WvW or PvP. and this was before HoT released.

I have like 500k Karma and no idea what it's for.

Save it for now. Converting it to gold is not worth it and you are still a bit off with starting a legendary. Most new maps, staring with Living World Season 3 maps, have skins and minis available for Karma (and you will burn through those 500k real fast if you start buying them). Save the Karma for some skin or mini you really like.

@GrayOne.8075 said:I have hundreds of spirit shards and no idea what they're for.

Not impotant now. There is guides on making money from spirit shards. Pretty much every method is tedious (though might be something to do while you are on your own to get some gold for your self and your wife). I'd just keep them for now.

@GrayOne.8075 said:I have a full set of exotic gear. I don't know how to get anything better.

Get access to Living World Season 3 maps (either buy the gems or gather the gold and convert it). Use Living World Season 3 maps to gather materials for ascended trinkets. Since this is story content, you might have to wait with access to maps until you have advanced the story far enough with your wife.

Sticking with story and Living World. You can work on some of the achievements in the Living World Episodes and story you have already completed. Makes for great material to later help your wife with that too.

As far as ascended gear. I'd hold off on getting armor for now. To expensive and not worth it. Weapons are a good upgrade though.

Since you say you don't want to progress with your current character when playing alone, I suggest you create a second one and explore the game thoroughly. The best stuff becomes available throughout Living World Season 3 + 4, namely ascended trinkets, and the Position Rewinder is also a LWS4 item. There are also a couple of achievements that reward you with ascended stuff. Furthermore, you can buy a full set of exotic armor with Berserker stats for Karma in Orr (at the Temple of Balthazar, if I am not mistaken). You can buy Obsidian Shards for Karma, which you need for ascended and legendary crafting. There is a lot you can do with Karma, so I suggest you save it up until you can make an educated decision.

Yes, GW2 has way too many currencies, but as mentioned before, consulting the GW2 Wiki always helps. :)

@"Ashantara.8731" said:Since you say you don't want to progress with your current character when playing alone, I suggest you create a second one and explore the game thoroughly. The best stuff becomes available throughout Living World Season 3 + 4, namely ascended trinkets, and the Position Rewinder is also a LWS4 item. There are also a couple of achievements that reward you with ascended stuff. Furthermore, you can buy a full set of exotic armor with Berserker stats for Karma in Orr (at the Temple of Balthazar, if I am not mistaken). You can buy Obsidian Shards for Karma, which you need for ascended and legendary crafting. There is a lot you can do with Karma, so I suggest you save it up until you can make an educated decision.

Yes, GW2 has way too many currencies, but as mentioned before, consulting the GW2 Wiki always helps. :)

I'd be very careful with playing ahead, no matter if on main on alt character. When we play together with my husband, the most annoying thing is him having been through the stuff before. It just kills the "explore together" feeling. (Plus he tends to just rush off somewhere and I get lost all the time chasing after him. :D )

You could look for events to do while she's not on:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Event_timers

This will get you some repeatable fun things to do, and help build your wealth some, yet it doesn't ruin anything for her (unless you absolutely want to always do those world events together).

Also, look in the LFG ("Y" key by default) for groups doing event trains or bounties.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Linken.6345" said:people use bundles like Ash Legion Spy Kit to make some things easier for example opening door in underground facility.

wait..what...tell me more about this?

Again, Wiki is your friend. Type
in the chat and it will redirect you to the respective Wiki page.

no....how you skip underground facility...which door?

wait... you'd need your whole party to use it? and it doesn't let you "skip" just avoid mobs noticing/targeting you, so long as you don't move?

@"Taygus.4571" said:wait... you'd need your whole party to use it? and it doesn't let you "skip" just avoid mobs noticing/targeting you, so long as you don't move?

I rarely play Fractals, but if this is the one I am thinking of, then it's clear: If you use the kit to become invisible, you won't get interrupted while opening the door - you know, the one where your other teammates have to stand on pressure plates while trying to keep enemies from attacking and interrupting you while you work the door mechanics.

@GrayOne.8075 said:....I genuinely don't know what to do when she's not on though. I play ~10 hours a week more than she does and I don't want to advance the story stuff without her, what should I be focusing on in the mean time?

...Where do I start?

I would not be concerned with the karma or currencies. There are uses for them later, if you want. If you do not want to progress the story, just go out and play. Pick an area you enjoy and explore. For example I am on my 3rd & 4th characters through the season 5 into, just because it is such a fun area. This game has lots of replayability, and is very much a wide open world, not a linear progression. There is the story path available, but it is not needed.

This question is a bit tricky as you want to explore together, do story together (and have a feeling also achievements together). If you are not tied to achievements only together you can do the open world meta's and worldbosses on the maps you have explored (in particular in HoT and PoF maps). They are also in living worlds 3 and 4 and the new saga but this would require you to do story 1st so thats a no go for now (the position rewinder is among those items on a living world map I assume you did not do yet with your wife....). On a side note, playing the game will always grant you exp and therefore level your masteries even if you do not want to. You can ofcourse choose not to spend the mastery point but it still means you have to wait for your wife to play catch up). Levelling up crafts probably still sends you to undiscovered places to collect all the materials and even if this is not the case you can level it all within a week given you have the materials. You can play on some alternative character and not exceed anything you have done till now but you would have to be carefull. Safe bets would probably be dungeons, fractals, raids, world vs world and pvp. As story mode dungeons can be done easily with your wife prior or after. And the other instanced content can be repeated with your wife eternally. Pvp and wvw is a whole different kind of beast as it has its own exp system, no story (some achievements and progression points yes). Jumping puzzles can always be done if they are on discovered spots (theres 1 mastery point involved tho). And then we have festivals... Halloween is coming, makes good cash, can be eternally done as long as its up and your wife will be able to play catchup on its achievements rather easy (and you could potentially help her get some as well). Do not forget to communicate with your wife prior as what she allows you to do/get and what not to make things easier (and to avoid surpassing her with things she did not liked to be surpassed with). If you want to be extremely safe.... play something else/spend your time different in the hours your wife cannot play and only play when she does too.

I know I failed the play together equally thing and I am not the only one I see it happen at.