Just a nub with a question

Bassdeff.1895

Not a QQ, honestly just trying to figure out what Reaper build is hitting me for 7.5k with Grave Digger in WvW. I'm fairly new to the game and don't understand the ins and outs of all the classes. I got taken out by this guy on 3 different occasions tonight and I want to learn how to counter it.

@Sevans.4619 said:Probably the GS Roamer you can find on Metabattle or some variation of it. Gravedigger is going to hit hard no matter what build you run.

Necromancer and it's elites tend to struggle with CC and being zoned out with ranged weapons.

What are you playing?

Playing a Guardian. I've been trying several different builds looking for something that is half decent at roaming. It has been rather challenmging, the other classes all seem to have so much more mobility.

@Bassdeff.1895 said:

@Sevans.4619 said:Probably the GS Roamer you can find on Metabattle or some variation of it. Gravedigger is going to hit hard no matter what build you run.

Necromancer and it's elites tend to struggle with CC and being zoned out with ranged weapons.

What are you playing?

Playing a Guardian. I've been trying several different builds looking for something that is half decent at roaming. It has been rather challenmging, the other classes all seem to have so much more mobility.

Try Dragonhunter if you have HOT.As others have said, kiting can hurt a Reaper.

• Save your F3 shield block for when the Reaper enters shroud so he does zero damage and can't corrupt your stab (unless he used unblockable shout before entering shroud).
  • Kite with F2 leap to maintain distance away from the Reaper (unless he just exit shroud and you had traited F2 immobilize to jump on the Reaper and immob him and swap to melee weapon burst)
  • Knockback with Longbow 3 to maintain distance from the Reaper.
  • Drop the bladed ring trap as you kite between you and the reaper to force the Reaper to go around or dodge or take damage (combo with Longbow 3 or F1 pull if the conditions allow)

Dragonhunter can be extremely tough to kill if they kite well.Sometimes I wish Reaper's unblockable shout was instant cast.That would be really nice.

Oh and if you're using Core Guard, save your blinds (traited versions too) for the right moments along with F3 block and I think there is still a chance to win (I've not fought Core Guards for a long time though so I'm not sure what specs they are running now).But essentially I think Core Guards = burst and kill faster than your opponent can do to you.

@Bassdeff.1895 said:

@"LucianDK.8615" said:Necromancers has very little in mobility.

I know, they in the same boat as Guardians when it comes to mobility.

Not really, guardians have quite a bit of "active" mobility while the necromancer got "passive" mobility. Both profession are lacking in mobility but in a very different way because guardian need more of what the necromancer have while the necromancer need what the guardian have.

An advice: just Dodge.

Yeah this sounds kinda harsh (what I definitely don't have in mind). But gravedigger has such a huge casting animation and casttime, you should easily be able to Dodge it.And if you aren't familiar with the animation, get a reaper yourself (just make a necro and go to pvp lobby) and cast the ability a few times. If you then still can't manage to kill a necro, play necro yourself. Look what other players do to kill you:

-cc-movement-ranged pressure

Necro is really weak to those three aspects

@Nimon.7840 said:An advice: just Dodge.

Yeah this sounds kinda harsh (what I definitely don't have in mind). But gravedigger has such a huge casting animation and casttime, you should easily be able to Dodge it.And if you aren't familiar with the animation, get a reaper yourself (just make a necro and go to pvp lobby) and cast the ability a few times. If you then still can't manage to kill a necro, play necro yourself. Look what other players do to kill you:

-cc-movement-ranged pressure

Necro is really weak to those three aspects

That was why I asked the question. So that I can learn the build and recognize the animations and then exploit it's weaknesses.

@XECOR.2814 said:Dh is busted op rn. Both power and condi. Anyone who plays the game on a good enough level knows about it.

The problem I am encountering with DH at the moment it that you pretty much have to rely high burst damage to kill your foe and have very little sustain. Kind of a one trick pony. Devastating if you manage to pull it off but if that trick fails you are in major trouble.

You are playing your class wrong.

As a roaming guardian you should pick at least 2 mobility skills. You have plenty of them. A typical dragonhunter roaming build has 3 leaps/teleports to wreck any roaming necro.

Some of your mobility skills require a target so learn to select ambient creatures to change your position.

He pops shroud -> you disengage -> he leaves shroud -> you cast some block (focus, DH block...) and go all in ... at this point 9 out of 10 reapers are already beaten. Repeat this strategy if he can manage to pop shroud a second time.

Your sustain is the opposite of "little". You have tons of blocks, some of the best heals in the game and an invulnerability that on top resets one of your blocks and your mobility skills.

Get a set of marauder gear for roaming!

If you are hit by grave digger you are either way to slow and need to improve your reaction times or you are facing one of the very few roaming reapers that are capable of setting up a deadly GS5, skill cancel, GS2 combo to destroy you. If you duelled such a player then you totally deserve the loss as you are a beginner that does not fully understand his own class up to now. But there is always room to improve! Good luck!

One last hint: when you duell a reaper and you hear him shout "nothing can save you" then use a mobility skill to get some distance as all his attacks are unblockable for the next 5 seconds. Also take a look at the game wiki for the unblockable symbol to become aware of it as this symbol in the buff bar of your target is your biggest counter on guardian. So many guardians do whisp me for cheating just because they never heard of unblockables. Don't become one of these noobs!

@"KrHome.1920" said:You are playing your class wrong.

As a roaming guardian you should pick at least 2 mobility skills. You have plenty of them. A typical dragonhunter roaming build has 3 leaps/teleports to wreck any roaming necro.

Some of your mobility skills require a target so learn to select ambient creatures to change your position.

He pops shroud -> you disengage -> he leaves shroud -> you cast some block (focus, DH block...) and go all in ... at this point 9 out of 10 reapers are already beaten. Repeat this strategy if he can manage to pop shroud a second time.

Your sustain is the opposite of "little". You have tons of blocks, some of the best heals in the game and an invulnerability that on top resets one of your blocks and your mobility skills.

Get a set of marauder gear for roaming!

If you are hit by grave digger you are either way to slow and need to improve your reaction times or you are facing one of the very few roaming reapers that are capable of setting up a deadly GS5, skill cancel, GS2 combo to destroy you. If you duelled such a player then you totally deserve the loss as you are a beginner that does not fully understand his own class up to now. But there is always room to improve! Good luck!

One last hint: when you duell a reaper and you hear him shout "nothing can save you" then use a mobility skill to get some distance as all his attacks are unblockable for the next 5 seconds. Also take a look at the game wiki for the unblockable symbol to become aware of it as this symbol in the buff bar of your target is your biggest counter on guardian. So many guardians do whisp me for cheating just because they never heard of unblockables. Don't become one of these noobs!

Thanks for the tips and I promise I won't become one of those noobs. I have a mindset that if I get my ass handed to me it is because I need to gitgud, even it I happens to be facing a hard counter or outnumbered.