Gathering tool animation speed

Im thinking of buying some unlimited gathering tools. I've been reading that some tools have faster animation speeds than others (e.g. consortium sickle, unbound tools), which allows you to complete a node faster

However, does that only apply if you cancel the gather early?

I always tend to gather by letting the cast bar fill up 100%. In other words, I dont cancel early and I have no intention of doing so even with my new tools

In that case, does the faster speed of certain tools actually matter to me? Or are they all technically the same speed without the early cancel?

@Winegum.2395 said:However, does that only apply if you cancel the gather early?

You can only cancel the gathering early with very few tools, it does not work with all. Just like they have different animation speeds, they also have different behavior.

I use the following to balance speed and amount gathered from rich nodes:

• Fused Molten Sickle = fastest tool for plants
  • Volatile Magic Logging Tool = not fast, but gathers more at once at rich nodes
  • Unbound Magic Mining Beam = same

Traits for characters that increase attack speed as well as the Glyph of Industry also have an effect on harvesting speed as well (Warrior's "Dual Wielding" while 2x one-handed and Mesmer's "Malicious Sorcery" while wielding a scepter are two such traits). But I find that some tools often prevent the surprise fourth strike off a rich ore vein. Mad Scientist and Choya mining tools are two of the culprits. Anything with a spawn animation also tends to slow down your harvest a little, while some even wind up missing the third strike (the Choya logging tool sometimes does this, on my work).

Also, tools that have a spawn animation that are canceled early without a gather play its gathering animation, but you get nothing from the results. The choya tools are infamous for this, from personal experience.

Isn't it all about the Glyph now? Standard gather speed is like 3 seconds per node. It'd be a bit tedious to try and shave time off outside of game mechanics. In fact the real time saver is cutting time down moving from node to node. Before gliding and mounts it would take me just over an hour to clear a whole zone of nodes. Now with them I cut that time in half. Which means double the materials gathered for the same amount of time spent before. Now if you were to cut the time on the node itself in half, one is only saving one minute or a little more with a full zone clear. That's just a scratch compared to the time mounts and glider saves you.

I only have one glyph of industry and I rarely use it (only when I'm just wanting to harvest quickly), otherwise I have other glyphs that I use for extra benefits such as watchwork sprockets, cloths and leathers. And my ore runners are usually my warrior and mirage that have the increased attack speed traits (because it's part of what they do off-gather).