Thinkpad T430

Jokel.5164

it will run fine on lowest setting, but would not recommend using any laptop for gaming unless for indies, for 1 the inherit design of laptops is to get some work done on the go, not for long gaming sessions, you will run into heat issues making the CPU to slow down, and 2 it's killing the battery faster by having charging and discharging occurring at the same time

The short answer is no.... its not good for gaming. Aside from not having a discrete GPU, the CPU is also ancient. Thinkpads as a series are made for mobile business, favoring weight and battery life over computational power..... and given the circumstances, not worth buying "now" even for the features it does have. I'd even make the argument that a modern tablet could outclass it.

Secondly.... thats laptop is circa 2012, and wasn't on the performance end of the spectrum when it came out. It was also designed, priced and sold on its security systems, including biometrics, hardware level encryption, and tamper protection. Another consideration is the battery, given the unit's age..... I've had Thinkpads before, and they last around 3 years. If the battery is shot, and you can't find a suitable replacement for sane cost, you're stuck with a 14" tiny desktop that won't play the game well, and the UI takes up 3/4s of the screen.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not calling it ideal, but if you have reasons to want a ThinkPad, try to find a good deal on a T430 that has i7-3520M, i5-3360M, or i5-3320M, and NVS 5400M (notebookcheck.net claims such machines exist), it should run the game. If you can't find one, consider a W530. I play on my W530 (K1000M) and it gets the job done. I just had my first run with ExpressCard eGPU (GTX 660Ti), and some instability aside it gives the graphics a nice bump. Cooling isn't an issue with these slabs.

If gaming is your main thing you'll be better off with (a desktop PC) some hideous gaming laptop, but you can make a ThinkPad work if you need to. Just make sure the price is right.

Watch the Christmas sales coming up in November for gaming laptops. I have an MSI gaming laptop that I bought not long ago for around $700 that runs GW2 with great graphics. I can even run both of my accounts at the same time (but alt-tabing between them is way more annoying that having one on each monitor like I do on my desktop).