Catalina (mac) issues

Yes, Catalina is 10.15. The note said it worked but that is not what people are encountering. My guess it was compiled for 64 bit but it might be nobody actually tested it. Anyway, that was supposed to be the official thread but the only time anyone from anet has been there since the firings was to announce a link to their announcement about them doing a 10.15 thread .... but since that thread was no-post and it seems nobody wants to talk to us in the original thread I do not know anymore how we are supposed to talk to them without just opening a new thread.

I can confirm that for my Laptop (MacBook Pro 2016), the client works - sort of - after the upgrade. However, the graphics are essentially shot , seemingly out of sync in some parts or flickering wildly - unless (of course) I want to take a screenshot, which comes out perfectly. Thus, the game is currently essentially unplayable for me. I have not yet managed to adapt the settings meaningfully, simply because the texts are totally unreadable and thus "finding the right option" is somewhat difficult...

@"Gyro.9182" said:I can confirm that for my Laptop (MacBook Pro 2016), the client works - sort of - after the upgrade. However, the graphics are essentially shot , seemingly out of sync in some parts or flickering wildly - unless (of course) I want to take a screenshot, which comes out perfectly. Thus, the game is currently essentially unplayable for me. I have not yet managed to adapt the settings meaningfully, simply because the texts are totally unreadable and thus "finding the right option" is somewhat difficult...

One person just reported they were finally able to get it to work in windowed mode but not full screen. That would be odd if the problem was it was the app not being signed, but if confirmed would at least allow people to upgrade while anet works on the problem.

Correct, it is bugged. I am using the 64 bit client on Catalina. The game glitches like a rectangular checkerboard and game freezes. A workaround until it is fixed is to open the force quit panel (cmd+opt+esc) but don't force quit; keep the panel open and move it off center (so you can see) and the game should run well enough to do dailies. Odd but that is what works for me as a temp solution.

I’m also having the same problems after Catalina. The only workaround I’ve found is to go to your game settings and use “windowed mode” which will get rid of the checkered board graphics glitch. My game hasn’t frozen yet.

Discovered that “windowed mode” got rid of the glitch after messing around with my game options settings for a few minutes and lots of restarting game client ?

I do not have tearing, but I experience the following problems (iMac Pro, 3.2 GHz 8-core Intel Xeon W, 32 GB RAM):

• game freezing, if not relaunched immediately it freezes the system as well;
  • character 'freezing', i.e. everybody, including monsters, moves as they are supposed to, but I cannot move or fight;
  • delayed reaction to the keyboard and mouse.

Windowed mode somewhat helps with character freezing but I have not had enough time to experiment.

Looks like I may dodge a bullet then as I prefer to play in windows mode anyway: eke out a bit more performance and allows me to feed that multitasking itch. I am sure it is a real pain for the people that always play in full screen mode though! This should have been a bug someone caught.

I had time to play a little bit longer. It seems that there is a memory leak. After 1.5 hours of playing, I started to experience delayed reactions to input (both mouse and keyboard). After about 2 hours I had to quit the game as it started to freeze. I am still playing in window mode with the lowest graphics settings.

@Ol Nik.2518 said:I had time to play a little bit longer. It seems that there is a memory leak. After 1.5 hours of playing, I started to experience delayed reactions to input (both mouse and keyboard). After about 2 hours I had to quit the game as it started to freeze. I am still playing in window mode with the lowest graphics settings.

Not fun. I wish anet would get here as this was advertised as ready for Catalina. Between this and the 64 bit thread several issues have been found so far that testing should have discovered.

@"Ol Nik.2518" said:I had time to play a little bit longer. It seems that there is a memory leak. After 1.5 hours of playing, I started to experience delayed reactions to input (both mouse and keyboard). After about 2 hours I had to quit the game as it started to freeze. I am still playing in window mode with the lowest graphics settings.

I too have an iMac Pro but have been holding off on Catalina upgrade until I hear the client is working better. I'm getting the same graphics "checkerboard" as the image posted in the other thread on my 2017 MacBook Pro. Ol Nik, are you running in Windowed or Full Screen on your iMac Pro?

@Alydar.4730 said:

@"Ol Nik.2518" said:I had time to play a little bit longer. It seems that there is a memory leak. After 1.5 hours of playing, I started to experience delayed reactions to input (both mouse and keyboard). After about 2 hours I had to quit the game as it started to freeze. I am still playing in window mode with the lowest graphics settings.

I too have an iMac Pro but have been holding off on Catalina upgrade until I hear the client is working better. I'm getting the same graphics "checkerboard" as the image posted in the other thread on my 2017 MacBook Pro. Ol Nik, are you running in Windowed or Full Screen on your iMac Pro?

It seems that my problems were resolved. I now can play in full-screen mode with regular low settings (I was never able to play on high settings despite my iMac Pro being close to the top of the line).

I downloaded the latest version of the client from ArenaNet website and let it redownload all content. This solved any tearing problems for me.It turned out that my memory and CPU problems were related to the Mosaic app (window manager software): GW2 and Mosaic do not work together properly. If you have any similar software (Divvy, Mosaic, etc) I would suggest turning them off and see if your gaming experience improves.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Is anyone addressing this? The checkerboard doesn't appear anymore but the game still freezes when using the mouse to rotate screen. I have to put up the Force Quit Applications window and keep it up (move it to the side) in order for the game not to freeze. Very annoying. Dunno why that allows me to unfreeze but it is working in the meantime until this is resolved.