Please lock or delete the thread is derailed to how the gem to gold conversion works

@Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

@Swagger.1459 said:I know it can get kinda confusing, so again, I’ll be helpful...

When Anet sends in their weekly or monthly earnings report to NCSoft, there are 2 areas also included... 1 game sales. 2 Gem sales purchased with money.

That combined money, earned from those two monetization sources, are what pays shareholders, NCSoft people, Anet people, bills, taxes, R&D... and the huge list of other things that require money.

Things to note... If players who don’t spend a dime purchasing gems continued to do so, and Anet removed the gold to gems function, those earnings report would come out the same. And Anet would never stop selling gems to people willing to fork over money, so they don’t really need the gold to gem exchange feature either, they could come up with different gold sinks easily instead. The gold to gem exchange is really there as a fancy gold sink, but at the end of the day the people who change gold to gems do not contribute to the bottom line. In the real world the contributions of that gold to gem exchange feature adds $0 to the financial equation.

And it’s pretty unfortunate when some of you complain about Anet putting up more gemstore items. It’s box sales and those nonessential gemstore items that fund the whole operation. Nobody needs anything off the gemstore to play or progress in pve, spvp, wvw... Anet has been cool about letting people get gems for $0 by changing their gold, but those who do that are not adding to the bottom line period.

If some of you don’t understand how this all basically works after this post then there is really no helping.

Good luck folks and thank you for your time!

Ofcourse they are, were do you think the gold come from that the people buying gems and turning then turning them gold?Since they want is as a gold sink with the gold to gem tax and then back again with the gem to gold tax.They surely aint makeing gold from nothing are they?

So if noone traded gold for gems, the gem buyers that want gold wouldent spend cash on gems so anet lose money.

You are trading gold > for gem to get a reward , you are not doing a service favor to the company .You participating in an ecosystem passivly , not activly to boost the salesThe company does not need yourr contribution , because the next day (even if the 90% leave) they could offer ''BUY 1000gold for 100 gems , you can try to buy from goldseller , but you know we track how many gold are transfaired from the ingmae Mail and we will ban you :PPP''The 10% wouldnt have a problem with that , while the 90% would cry about Asian MMO

Never said I was doing it as a favor to the company just explained how the gem system work something you seem to still not grasp.

Have you still not read john smiths reddit posts you know the economist that used to work for anet and implemented the very system?

EditYou even got a smiliar system in wow now, 1 player buy a wow sub token for real cash ( same as gems)Second player buy that wow token for in game gold and the first player get gold +second player get to play another month.

Are you saying that the second player aint helping the company earn money in any way?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Linken.6345 said:

@Swagger.1459 said:I know it can get kinda confusing, so again, I’ll be helpful...

When Anet sends in their weekly or monthly earnings report to NCSoft, there are 2 areas also included... 1 game sales. 2 Gem sales purchased with money.

That combined money, earned from those two monetization sources, are what pays shareholders, NCSoft people, Anet people, bills, taxes, R&D... and the huge list of other things that require money.

Things to note... If players who don’t spend a dime purchasing gems continued to do so, and Anet removed the gold to gems function, those earnings report would come out the same. And Anet would never stop selling gems to people willing to fork over money, so they don’t really need the gold to gem exchange feature either, they could come up with different gold sinks easily instead. The gold to gem exchange is really there as a fancy gold sink, but at the end of the day the people who change gold to gems do not contribute to the bottom line. In the real world the contributions of that gold to gem exchange feature adds $0 to the financial equation.

And it’s pretty unfortunate when some of you complain about Anet putting up more gemstore items. It’s box sales and those nonessential gemstore items that fund the whole operation. Nobody needs anything off the gemstore to play or progress in pve, spvp, wvw... Anet has been cool about letting people get gems for $0 by changing their gold, but those who do that are not adding to the bottom line period.

If some of you don’t understand how this all basically works after this post then there is really no helping.

Good luck folks and thank you for your time!

Ofcourse they are, were do you think the gold come from that the people buying gems and turning then turning them gold?Since they want is as a gold sink with the gold to gem tax and then back again with the gem to gold tax.They surely aint makeing gold from nothing are they?

So if noone traded gold for gems, the gem buyers that want gold wouldent spend cash on gems so anet lose money.

You are trading gold > for gem to get a reward , you are not doing a service favor to the company .You participating in an ecosystem passivly , not activly to boost the salesThe company does not need yourr contribution , because the next day (even if the 90% leave) they could offer ''BUY 1000gold for 100 gems , you can try to buy from goldseller , but you know we track how many gold are transfaired from the ingmae Mail and we will ban you :PPP''The 10% wouldnt have a problem with that , while the 90% would cry about Asian MMO

Never said I was doing it as a favor to the company just explained how the gem system work something you seem to still not grasp.

Have you still not read john smiths reddit posts you know the economist that used to work for anet and implemented the very system?

Yes i read the 3 linesMost of them was ''hush hush i cant tell''The other parts he said theres a colleration between ppl that already have spent gems and gold>gems , but dont say in what period ?Its from this month ? 3 months ? 6 years ?

That why i made you these questions ? about the timeline ?If its from the ''pool' that was collected from 1 year'' then theres plentiful of gold reserves .Our contribution in a vast occean is worthless .

I asked you that ppl use gems >buy costumes directly that why we have surplus of gold (pricing is going up) , becuase those 10% dont need goldYou told me that i dont have a clue , and later on changed your answer when pressured

I have so many questions from you that needs to be answeredYou are the expert in this thread

Even it 1 person is left , no1 else is needed to create gold , they can produce it with a click and sell it to the gemstore as a package gem>gold or simply ''implant 10.000.000'' in to the gem>gold pool .Its their game ..their code 001001110111(like you need actual ingame ppl activly to farm , rather than use blip blop bottuns in 10 sec , if a Dev see the gold/gem pool is running out..... )

edit:

@Linken.6345 said:EditYou even got a smiliar system in wow now, 1 player buy a wow sub token for real cash ( same as gems)Second player buy that wow token for in game gold and the first player get gold +second player get to play another month.

Are you saying that the second player aint helping the company earn money in any way?

PPl there are in the mercy of the 10% , because they need that token to atleast play start the WoW launcher and enjoy the gameHere the money you get is transformed into an gemstore item that last forever and not 30 days (wow sub) . And even then you can skip it and play the game like you dont care about the 10%

Here we have a passive ecosystem among the players to trade betweenWoW has a coton exploitment system or something

Didnt the ''study'' say about this ?

He also said it was a closed system only gems that got traded into gold got put into the gem pool and same with gold that got traded for gems in the gold pool.Not all gems bought was put into the pool as you thought in begining of your posts, with got me saying if it worked like that then all gold ever created would be in the gold pool and people trading gems to gold would be very rich witch they dont get atm. ( hence my first you have no clue comment)

They want the exchange to work as a gold sink and thats why they wont inject 10.000.000 gold into the gem exchange becouse that would defeat its purpose.

Yes people buy from the gemstore directly they always have.Why gold to gem is going up is alot of people is trading in gold to get gems.During the aniversiry sale and it will probabely keep going up when hallowen hits( this in turn is good since it will make people wanting gold buy gems and trade gems for gold when its high enough in their eyes)Dont matter when the gem or gold in the pool was traded (All the gems was paid for + taxed and all the gold was taxed aswell.)If people keep trading the same gems and gold it will get taxed again and again untill its nothing left, hence why new gems and new gold is going into the system.

@Shadowmoon.7986 said:Here is a novel idea to make money. Make expansions....Not triple dip monetizing a system many games gives for free.

Yes, let's have expansions so players can come and complain about the expansion price.

I'm not actually disagreeing with the desire for expansions, I disagree that players would not complain. There is a huge free to play crowd here which is basically toxic the moment they have to spend money on the game, and it does not matter how this content is added. Current topic of anger: build templates and how they are not completly free. Yet, 1 year ago players were begging for a build temapltes feature, money in hand.

Here is the jist of it:This game can be played with near no money investment (and the basic setup is hilariously cheap with 25 bucks for PoF and access to almost all content) compared to other MMORPGs in the market. The vast majority, close to all, items on the gem store are convenience and/or cosmetic (unlike competitors which sell pay to win items or drastically remove basic content, like skill bars and and crafting etc.). Access to continued content is free if you are active in the game. There is no subscription fee. There is a gem-gold exchange.

If you feel as though you are being taken advantage of: leave for a different game.

The reason most people stick around and whine is simply: there is no other MMORPG in the western market where you can get away with spending so little money, yet gain access to the entire game continously without having to spend real money.

@Linken.6345 said:They want the exchange to work as a gold sink and thats why they wont inject 10.000.000 gold into the gem exchange becouse that would defeat its purpose.

If a single player remained in the game , the logic where ''if there are no gold in the pool , so the company wont get any money'' as other ppl are saying , wont apply .With a single bottun they can inject whatever ammount of gold/gems and let that player do whatever he wants .

But yeah they wont do it becuase they will effect the prices .But the ppl atm cannot say that the company '' is taken as a hostage from the community , othwerise the only thing left for that 1 person to get gold is to go to a goldseller site''''So if 90% of the ppl didnt farm , the game would lost money''They can simply use some bottuns and do whatever with the Gemstore

Passive economy among players =/= Feeling that you holding the company by the balls

Town down a little , that the company should kiss my feet and more whinning about the prices

Exept of some ppl that whined that HoT was overpriced > and now with PoF beeing 30euros the company must replenish the deference , and they make a thead about overpriced things...

@Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

@Linken.6345 said:They want the exchange to work as a gold sink and thats why they wont inject 10.000.000 gold into the gem exchange becouse that would defeat its purpose.

If a single player remained in the game , the logic where ''if there are no gold in the pool , so the company wont get any money'' as other ppl are saying , wont apply .With a single bottun they can inject whatever ammount of gold/gems and let that player do whatever he wants .

But yeah they wont do it becuase they will effect the prices .But the ppl atm cannot say that the company '' is taken as a hostage from the community , othwerise the only thing left for that 1 person to get gold is to go to a goldseller site''''So if 90% of the ppl didnt farm , the game would lost money''They can simply use some bottuns and do whatever with the Gemstore

Passive economy among players =/= Feeling that you holding the company by the balls

Town down a little , that the company should kiss my feet and more whinning about the prices

Exept of some ppl that whined that HoT was overpriced > and now with PoF beeing 30euros the company must replenish the deference , and they make a thead about overpriced things...

And how much content can a single player realisticly do in an mmo mate 5%?

I don think the last player left would stay very long.

@"Vancho.8750" said:Since i work in that part of the industry and i know how the sausage is made, some design choices have me worried. Usually i ignore them but after the lay offs things got little bit more pushy with the "Macro" transactions and the design of some content like the Skyscale unlock(bland, boring and unimaginative for the most part like most mobile game practices) and now with build templates (looks like copy of a mobile game feature the only part missing is charging for changing builds, don't get any kitten ideas from that). I don't think GW2 could survive a mobile game flop for pushing too hard. In the mobile space you can always reskin, recycle and reuse a flop into something "new" and it can be churned out quicker, not so much in the PC. Even in the mobile space you don't push way too hard on your crown jewel game that is in the public eye.Now that MO is out and Chris Corry will oversee NCSOFT west and from what i read his experience is in the mobile space from Kabam, that puts some doubt in the future of the game.

What is the problem with Anet offering more nonessential items on the gemstore for players?