Why does Longbow get used

Sansar.1302

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Sansar.1302 said:Only play in WvW but for the last few years I could not see any reason to use Longbow due to its weak state and now it got a nerf too?running Gs/ Axe Warhorn as I have been doing since forever.

LB brings a lot of utility thats why is being used so much, not because of the damage as there are too many reflects\blocks.Range can help you with necros.Lb2 does decent damage.Lb3 brings stealth.Lb4 brings CCLb5 is the only ranged ground AoE the ranger has.

Axe\xx is better damage but brings no utility. Even WH needs of the smokescale to have some utility.

@Dawdler.8521 said:Yeah its totally weak when it can 100-0 someone at 1800 range using rapid fire.

We all cry for the poor rangers whos autoattack now does 5K damage instead of 6K.

Except a build with axe/warhorn GS will beat the longbow build 100% of the time while doing way better against everything else in general, yet longbow got nerfed lol.

@Anput.4620 said:

@Dawdler.8521 said:Yeah its totally weak when it can 100-0 someone at 1800 range using rapid fire.

We all cry for the poor rangers whos autoattack now does 5K damage instead of 6K.

Except a build with axe/warhorn GS will beat the longbow build 100% of the time while doing way better against everything else in general, yet longbow got nerfed lol.

LB damage got nerfed because it can do the damage it does at like double the range of anyone else so they can’t exactly “counter” it, and LB also has utility. Shit LB outrangesLiterally every weapon in the game due to how arrow projectiles work, only thing that even rivals it is Deadeye rifle.

@Durzlla.6295 said:

LB damage got nerfed because it can do the damage it does at like double the range of anyone else so they can’t exactly “counter” it, and LB also has utility. kitten LB outrangesLiterally every weapon in the game due to how arrow projectiles work, only thing that even rivals it is Deadeye rifle.

It only does that damage with a shitty glassbuild anyone with half a brain should be able to beat easilly. A core warrior will close the gap and eviscerate you a new one for 13k.

So how was LB better than boonbeast, mirage holo and core war again?

@Anput.4620 said:

LB damage got nerfed because it can do the damage it does at like double the range of anyone else so they can’t exactly “counter” it, and LB also has utility. kitten LB outrangesLiterally every weapon in the game due to how arrow projectiles work, only thing that even rivals it is Deadeye rifle.

It only does that damage with a kitten glassbuild anyone with half a brain should be able to beat easilly. A core warrior will close the gap and eviscerate you a new one for 13k.

Neither of them can flank one shot anybody from the same range. You can't deny facts. They all are annoying in their own rights, but not everybody has access to invuln on demand or reflects and blocks immediately before getting chunked way too hard for what it does.

@Anput.4620 said:

It only does that damage with a kitten glassbuild anyone with half a brain should be able to beat easilly. A core warrior will close the gap and eviscerate you a new one for 13k.

Sure a core warrior could close the gap if they survive the burst they very well won’t even see coming.

And again, LB doesn’t need to be STRONGER than a full build, it just needs to be less fun to play against for people.

@Anput.4620 said:

I don't think anyone ever said, at least in this threat, tha LB ranger is superior to any of the specs you mentioned. Not sure why you feel so combative or defensive about it.

Longbow is a weapon of convenience for open world content, and prior to a substantial set of nerfs, in pvp/wvw it could be devastating to be caught off guard/without cooldowns by a soulbeast running LB + Sic Em. However, as long as you had one stunbreak available, followed by a dodge, you could survive even the pre-nerf pewpew of death without too much trouble. Survival is just easier now with the nerfs to Sic Em, unblockable, and now follow-up damage as well.

@Blocki.4931 said:

Neither of them can flank one shot anybody from the same range. You can't deny facts. They all are annoying in their own rights, but not everybody has access to invuln on demand or reflects and blocks immediately before getting chunked way too hard for what it does.

Superior Rune of the earth.Its a deflect on impact. It's the most annoying thing you can throw against a pewpew ranger.His rapid fire is basically useless until you either ran away or catches up.Standard roaming professions such as mesmer, thief, somewhat guardian, warrior and engineer scrapper have more than enough reflects on their own.Even Ele has a usable amount of reflects.One that has really none or barely one is ironically ranger (which makes it immobile), necro and rev has limited access too.So if you have problems fighting pewpew, build for it and your problems should be solved.

Nobody runs Superior Rune of earth in WvW, it's mostly durability or monk runes.

Frankly, the soulbeasts are still overtuned in WvW because with 3K armor you can still get hit for 2k/tick Rapidfire (i.e. instant dismount death) due to keep bonuses, food/utility, and bloodlust.

Soulbeasts are used for roaming, they're rarely run in a group setting due to reflects on firebrands and scrappers (i.e. the larger the group the more uptime on reflects).

@Infusion.7149 said:Nobody runs Superior Rune of earth in WvW, it's mostly durability or monk runes.

Frankly, the soulbeasts are still overtuned in WvW because with 3K armor you can still get hit for 2k/tick Rapidfire (i.e. instant dismount death) due to keep bonuses, food/utility, and bloodlust.

Soulbeasts are used for roaming, they're rarely run in a group setting due to reflects on firebrands and scrappers (i.e. the larger the group the more uptime on reflects).

Soulbeast overtuned respect to what exactly? Right now I can link videos of roaming from all classes (minus ele ofc ) dealing absurd amount of dmg in WvW, just finished watching the video of a reaper hitting a ..soulbeast for 12k gravedigger, in all other videos, the rangers tend to be the easiest to kill for other roamer classes.

The entirety of wvw is overtuned respect to core Gw2, make no mistakes..even your main is way overtuned in wvw

Reaper doesn't dismount and the mobility of a reaper vs a soulbeast is worlds apart , nevermind signet of stone or longbow stealthing. Also I play every meta WvW class and my most played was chrono before it was gutted.

My observation is that even when rangers didn't do nearly as much damage as soulbeasts do currently, people would sit on the wall and use longbow.

@Infusion.7149 said:Reaper doesn't dismount and the mobility of a reaper vs a soulbeast is worlds apart , nevermind signet of stone or longbow stealthing. Also I play every meta WvW class and my most played was chrono before it was gutted.

My observation is that even when rangers didn't do nearly as much damage as soulbeasts do currently, people would sit on the wall and use longbow.

Sig of the stone is sort of invuln that is very situational and it is usually a lot better to use other stun break/evade such as Lightning Reflexes.Also, Tower Ranger was/is a meme since sitting on a tower isn't an actual content of WvW and a tiny part of GW2 in general. In any other setting, LB is put sub par and put aside. In fact, that's the state of the ranger in general.

The only thing special about ranger is its range with longbow. It has always been its only redeeming factor in my opinion. I think it's especially fun in WvW.

I even used to play it when it couldn't even hit a moving target. So don't complain, it's still much better than what it used to be.

@Infusion.7149 said:Reaper doesn't dismount and the mobility of a reaper vs a soulbeast is worlds apart , nevermind signet of stone or longbow stealthing. Also I play every meta WvW class and my most played was chrono before it was gutted.

Dismount is not a thing anymore from the introduction of the lance mount skill .I wont keep talking about damage wise for long as it is proven already any other ranged classes do more damage and have skills which oneshoot you with one hit.RF is like Soulspiral, the target has to eat all the damage to do something. Just comapre the damage: Soulspiral does 7.2 + poison versus rapid fire does 3.5I would say soul spiral an AoE skill does too much damage and needs to be nerfed. The spin to win has to stop.

LB autos didnt need to be nerfed. The weapon is slow as snail and now does no enough damage. Plus the amount of reflects are kitten.

This type of comment make me crazy. I read so many times that the main complaint of other classes is that Ranger does a lot of damage with LB when it is sitting on the wall. So, it doesn't matter that LB is not really a threat in 1 vs 1 or zerg, but only because can hit from the walls.@Infusion.7149, are you serious?

@Blocki.4931 said:

Yes, builds have strenghts and weaknesses, the strenghts the other builds offer far outweigh the strenghts the extra range offers. All youve said is that X can do X and Y can do Y.

@Durzlla.6295 said:

Sure a core warrior could close the gap if they survive the burst they very well won’t even see coming.

And again, LB doesn’t need to be STRONGER than a full build, it just needs to be less fun to play against for people.

That is exactly not how balance works, what you are saying is "we should nerf things that poeple whom are bad at the game find annoying", that isn't balance.

@voltaicbore.8012 said:

I don't think anyone ever said, at least in this threat, tha LB ranger is superior to any of the specs you mentioned. Not sure why you feel so combative or defensive about it.

Longbow is a weapon of convenience for open world content, and prior to a substantial set of nerfs, in pvp/wvw it could be devastating to be caught off guard/without cooldowns by a soulbeast running LB + Sic Em. However, as long as you had one stunbreak available, followed by a dodge, you could survive even the pre-nerf pewpew of death without too much trouble. Survival is just easier now with the nerfs to Sic Em, unblockable, and now follow-up damage as well.

I mean this is exactly what i have been saying, the problem is that i hear poeple call for nerfs, nerfs means balancing and balancing is done by trying to bring in line objective performance. Any roamer worth their salt ran survival before this too anyways, just way better than full glass vs actual good players.

Dismounting shouldn't matter, the mount is unbalanced AF and having a fight happen when 2 players collide is actually the balanced thing.

Also lol @ sitting on wall.

@"Fat Disgrace.4275" said:Sounds like

"I main ranger and there for longbow is very weak, when in reality it's pretty strong" (still getting 5k long range shots on my warrior)

Clear off dude, why are people so biased to there own main?

You can't main warrior and say what you just said lol.

@Anput.4620 said:

Yes, builds have strenghts and weaknesses, the strenghts the other builds offer far outweigh the strenghts the extra range offers. All youve said is that X can do X and Y can do Y.

That is exactly not how balance works, what you are saying is "we should nerf things that poeple whom are bad at the game find annoying", that isn't balance.

I mean this is exactly what i have been saying, the problem is that i hear poeple call for nerfs, nerfs means balancing and balancing is done by trying to bring in line objective performance. Any roamer worth their salt ran survival before this too anyways, just way better than full glass vs actual good players.

Dismounting shouldn't matter, the mount is unbalanced AF and having a fight happen when 2 players collide is actually the balanced thing.

Also lol @ sitting on wall.

@"Fat Disgrace.4275" said:Sounds like

"I main ranger and there for longbow is very weak, when in reality it's pretty strong" (still getting 5k long range shots on my warrior)

Clear off dude, why are people so biased to there own main?

You can't main warrior and say what you just said lol.

Huh ?