Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

@loseridoit.2756 said:

@"Shouryu.4169" said:hi, any of you guys installed linux on nvidia mx150 ? i've just installed gw2 via the friendly installer (
), but the frame rate is really unstable 5 to 60 fps.

my pc specs : i7 8th gen, nvidia mx150, 16gb ram, 512ssdis the installer
based on vulkan version ?

Hi, yes the installer version is on par with the zipped vulkan (d9vk) version. I'm not very experienced with Nvidia on laptops, haven't tested the game on it either. Are you sure it's making use of the Nvidia GPU?

nvidia only added vulkan PRIME offloading support last month.

-/

Yes, Nvidia support is so bad that you could only start using vulkan on almost all Nvidia laptops last month.

Definitely not true. I've been using vulkan on Nvidia laptops since SteamPlay/Proton came out. Granted I have a system76 laptop and run Pop!_OS which has its own Optimus solution (which is open source BTW)

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

@Kiso.8465 said:Uhm I've said in comment bellow that I used the old method and I can login and enter the character selection but the map loading takes more than 5 minutes and i'm not sure what the cause is ? HDD being bad or something?

Ah ok, I wasn't sure what the old method was referring to. Anyhow, 5 minutes is quite a long time even for such a system, the HDD may cause that. However before going into that, have you downloaded the entire game data? Because if not, this can be a very possible cause for the slow loading.

If you wish to download it before playing you can run: "./play.sh -image".

I didn't cause whenever I turn it on to download it freezes quite a bit, so prolly something wrong with laptop but dno what

The missing data may be the cause for the slow loading. In case you wish to check the HDD, look into reading the smart data from it.

i managed to load in but it took 3 min and after that i couldn't talk to anything in edge of the mists just a massive freeze

@EagleDelta.4726 said:Anyone figure out how to get TaCO working in WINE/D9VK yet?

I just tried to get it working, it does run and the overlay works but the rest of the game renders to a black screen, not something I can fix unfortunately.

@"Kiso.8465" said:i managed to load in but it took 3 min and after that i couldn't talk to anything in edge of the mists just a massive freeze

A massive freeze as in entire system where you had to reboot or just the game? Can you please run 'ulimit -Hn' and 'ulimit -Sn' in terminal and make sure they both report "1048576".

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

@EagleDelta.4726 said:Anyone figure out how to get TaCO working in WINE/D9VK yet?

I just tried to get it working, it does run and the overlay works but the rest of the game renders to a black screen, not something I can fix unfortunately.

@"Kiso.8465" said:i managed to load in but it took 3 min and after that i couldn't talk to anything in edge of the mists just a massive freeze

A massive freeze as in entire system where you had to reboot or just the game? Can you please run 'ulimit -Hn' and 'ulimit -Sn' in terminal and make sure they both report "1048576".

UHm, i took the battery and the charger out cause nothing worked alt f4 etc. im not sure if im closing stuff properly on linux using that. but i did and it said this number on both but i used xed cause im not sure how to use the nano to save things~~~~

Hi guys, just wanted to say thank you to ArmoredVehicle.2849 for putting together this easy to install, and surprisingly great performing wine package. One thing that does bother me about performance in WvW vs Windows is that when framerates start dropping with decent sized zergs (unavoidable even in windows with the dated engine), it introduces hitches in this wine package version that make decent combat in such situations almost unplayable. Granted, the windows fps takes a nosedive too, but its a consistent low fps, which makes adapting to the lower framerate easier for combat.

I've done the 1048576 edits and verified with the command line that this change has been applied, and overall I'm surprised at how well overall the game runs as it, just wondering if there is some setting edits I can make to boost a cache or something to mitigate this hitching problem? (note: it seems to have to do with the massive amount of custom skins people are sporting in any particular zerg vs zerg battles).

I'm currently using a 4790k (at 4.4 all cores), 32GB DDR3-1600 and a Radeon V64 WC with ubuntu 19.04 stock amdgpu drivers, both gw2 and ubuntu it self run solely on SSDs.

Graphics settings are the same as windows---max settings, native rendering, SMAA Low, NO shadows, medium character limit, no amb occlusion or light adaptation, vsync, 1080p, no motion blur---and the issue persists whether it is Windowed Fullscreen or Fullscreen. No extra mods installed. Pulseaudio IS running in the background at the moment, but I saw no real difference with editing the winesettings to bypass pulseaudio or not.

Again, thanks to the author for all his/her hard work, just wondering if something can be tweaked for this minor annoyance, especially since I can swear in most other settings, this actually seems to run smoother than Win10/d912pxy.

@Kiso.8465 said:

@Kiso.8465 said:i managed to load in but it took 3 min and after that i couldn't talk to anything in edge of the mists just a massive freeze

UHm, i took the battery and the charger out cause nothing worked alt f4 etc. im not sure if im closing stuff properly on linux using that. but i did and it said this number on both but i used xed cause im not sure how to use the nano to save things~~~~

look up the magic sysreq keys... and make sure they are enabled. Some idiotic 'userfriendly' dstros disable them by default (which is too stupid to rage about).

alt+print/sysrq+e to terminate all programs (if you are lucky, you can switch to a vt at this point, reenter the current init lvl and everything will be fine)alt+print/sysrq+i to kill all programs (lucky? switching init levels can spare you the rest, if not, proceed)alt+print/sysrq+s to sync all mounted partitions (not really needed, because remounting ro should do it, but at this point you want to be a bit paranoid)alt+print/sysrq+u to remount everything ro (at this point, rebooting is faster than getting the system up again. Also WAIT a bit before hitting the next combo. Remounting can take a while and you dont want to nuke your precious data)alt+print/sysrq+b to reboot

you can start with +r to 'raw' the keyboad, something helpful if X is screwing around with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

if the system does not react to these keys (and press every single one several times to make sure), the system is stuck beyond hope.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

@Kiso.8465 said:i managed to load in but it took 3 min and after that i couldn't talk to anything in edge of the mists just a massive freeze

look up the magic sysreq keys... and make sure they are enabled. Some idiotic 'userfriendly' dstros disable them by default (which is too stupid to rage about).

alt+print/sysrq+e to terminate all programs (if you are lucky, you can switch to a vt at this point, reenter the current init lvl and everything will be fine)alt+print/sysrq+i to kill all programs (lucky? switching init levels can spare you the rest, if not, proceed)alt+print/sysrq+s to sync all mounted partitions (not really needed, because remounting ro should do it, but at this point you want to be a bit paranoid)alt+print/sysrq+u to remount everything ro (at this point, rebooting is faster than getting the system up again. Also WAIT a bit before hitting the next combo. Remounting can take a while and you dont want to nuke your precious data)alt+print/sysrq+b to reboot

you can start with +r to 'raw' the keyboad, something helpful if X is screwing around with it.

if the system does not react to these keys (and press every single one several times to make sure), the system is stuck beyond hope.

yeah it works was on 176 i just have a german keyboard but dont speak much german XD just the fps is low but that's expected just wish i could run in major cities / bit more poped areas / hot maps wo crashing / freezing

@dixi.1483 said:

@jbrother.1340 said:How old is the T430 you are using? I can get these things dirt cheap and my current laptop is suck and plays it bad.The xx30 series has been produced around 2012 I think. I actually have two of them, one of which has a quad core CPU (i7-3632QM) and other has stock i5-3320M. I also have an i5-3360M to test with, but there is not much difference between them. One of them has Coreboot flashed with Intel Management Engine disabled. I have a Full HD modification as well as the classic keyboard mod. It makes the most useful machine you can get today, in my opinion.

The game runs perfectly well on both machines, modded and stock.

How much ram are you using, is it maxed out?8GB. Theoretical maximum is 16GB as far as I know.

What distro are you running on it? I am just curious.I am currently using ArchLinux.

whats your fps around people and wo people ? i have troubles even moving in every area on t430 but its 4gb ram and 3320

@Kiso.8465 said:

@jbrother.1340 said:How old is the T430 you are using? I can get these things dirt cheap and my current laptop is suck and plays it bad.The xx30 series has been produced around 2012 I think. I actually have two of them, one of which has a quad core CPU (i7-3632QM) and other has stock i5-3320M. I also have an i5-3360M to test with, but there is not much difference between them. One of them has Coreboot flashed with Intel Management Engine disabled. I have a Full HD modification as well as the classic keyboard mod. It makes the most useful machine you can get today, in my opinion.

How much ram are you using, is it maxed out?8GB. Theoretical maximum is 16GB as far as I know.

What distro are you running on it? I am just curious.I am currently using ArchLinux.

whats your fps around people and wo people ? i have troubles even moving in every area on t430 but its 4gb ram and 3320

4gb is really really low. You might hitting swap tbh- Also, have you reduced model count and high quality model count to lowest?

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

4gb is really really low. You might hitting swap tbh- Also, have you reduced model count and high quality model count to lowest?

yeah i changed everything to lowest, i dc in verdant brink / guild hall in hot / dragonfall dont know others , i dno whats swap but i think i can get 16gb on this tho just not sure if worth

swap is hitting the harddisk. When I start gw2, 3.5gb are just taken up by that. I have a beefy machine, so 3.5gb just comes out of page cache. But on your... well... memory starved machine, 3.5gb is a LOT. Considering that gnome or kde alone can take 0.5gb there isnt much left. And then the game needs to partially unpack the dat file to retrieve models, textures and sounds and you are running into the problem. When you hit swap, your performance is toast. You started chrome? lost another gb already. If you run out of memory and swap space, kernel will just kill the most memory hungry process. Which in your case would be Gw2.

check your memory. free can give you an idea. use free before you start the game, use free right after loading into your first map. You might want to use a lightweight wm for gaming - or use barenaked X instance just for that, saving memory that way. There are ways to set it up. Google is your friend ;)

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:swap is hitting the harddisk. When I start gw2, 3.5gb are just taken up by that. I have a beefy machine, so 3.5gb just comes out of page cache. But on your... well... memory starved machine, 3.5gb is a LOT. Considering that gnome or kde alone can take 0.5gb there isnt much left. And then the game needs to partially unpack the dat file to retrieve models, textures and sounds and you are running into the problem. When you hit swap, your performance is toast. You started chrome? lost another gb already. If you run out of memory and swap space, kernel will just kill the most memory hungry process. Which in your case would be Gw2.

check your memory. free can give you an idea. use free before you start the game, use free right after loading into your first map. You might want to use a lightweight wm for gaming - or use barenaked X instance just for that, saving memory that way. There are ways to set it up. Google is your friend ;)

Thanks for pointing out the ram issue, somehow I kept missing that detail even though I check the thread on and off. I recommend using a plain Openbox session for low end gaming. A quick test on my main system shows the Mate desktop using just over 800mb ram, whereas Openbox floats around 380mb which is quite a jump.

@Kiso.8465 Running a very basic desktop will no doubt make your game swap less however stuttering may still be present. Also 16GB isn't very worth it for such an old system (even though I'm aware how good the T430 models are), I think 8GB would be enough, make sure to buy 2x 4GB sticks instead of just 1x8, dual channel gives a small performance boost to integrated GPUs.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:check your memory. free can give you an idea. use free before you start the game, use free right after loading into your first map. You might want to use a lightweight wm for gaming - or use barenaked X instance just for that, saving memory that way. There are ways to set it up. Google is your friend ;)

yeah , im bit poo at this so i figure that's window manager? also i dont use the chrome tabs etc for exact same reason ;

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:@Kiso.8465 Running a very basic desktop will no doubt make your game swap less however stuttering may still be present. Also 16GB isn't very worth it for such an old system (even though I'm aware how good the T430 models are), I think 8GB would be enough, make sure to buy 2x 4GB sticks instead of just 1x8, dual channel gives a small performance boost to integrated GPUs.yeah i know but somehow every PC I use I dont really maintain well and then everything goes to poo?

hm, ok, X is the thing that actually make things apear on your screen. The windowmanager does things like borders around windows or buttons to close&resize. Compositing wm also add things like transparency and stuff. Without a windowmanager every program started would be just a standard-size window and you couldn't do much with it. But if you know that you will run only one application - and that in full screen, a wm is actually not needed.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:hm, ok, X is the thing that actually make things apear on your screen. The windowmanager does things like borders around windows or buttons to close&resize. Compositing wm also add things like transparency and stuff. Without a windowmanager every program started would be just a standard-size window and you couldn't do much with it. But if you know that you will run only one application - and that in full screen, a wm is actually not needed.

oh ok cause i am running only 1 operation in fullscreen and its clapping my ass sometimes when im in the grove/dragonfall and cant get on the character while wvw seemingly runs but not in giant blobs so im confused thats all

Hi.First I want to thank you for all your work. Unfortunately, I can't access any Google services from my place, therefore, I can't access your files :(

AFAIK you are providing a fully open source solution, wouldn't it be nice if you move this thread completely to Github/Gitlab or self hosted Gitea Website. Then others can contribute code, issues are self-organized, searchable and can even be linked to changes. You could also publish releases with changelog and new users can help you, too?

Alternatively or additionally, could you post your release on IPFS ? It is very easy to install. just apt-get install ipfs-desktop to install IPFS-Desktop and enable the service and install Firefox Addon - IPFS Companion. Then just drag&drop your file and paste the link in this thread.

Sorry, I can't read all this thread, but did you manage to run Arcdps + GW2Hook with your solution?

It would be really nice if you could provide the files on Github and/or IPFS.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:never heard of ipfs.IPFS is quite a technical thing and quite popular as it is an open protocol for storing files online decentralized. Well, it is all written on their Github page.Also not everyone uses debian or its derivates.Sure, it works on all OS and distros. It was just an example. For other systems just look at their Installation docs or simply look up the wiki of your distro of choice.I am also very sceptical of any program where the code of conduct is linked from the 'getting started' page , but not their copyright/licence/eula.Being skeptical fine - it is MIT licensed.And why does google not work for you, but ipfs does?It is decentralized.

@"Nevin Kiludan.2639" said:Hi.First I want to thank you for all your work. Unfortunately, I can't access any Google services from my place, therefore, I can't access your files :(

AFAIK you are providing a fully open source solution, wouldn't it be nice if you move this thread completely to Github/Gitlab or self hosted Gitea Website. Then others can contribute code, issues are self-organized, searchable and can even be linked to changes. You could also publish releases with changelog and new users can help you, too?

The package is indeed fully open source, it basically consists of plain Wine + the staging patches, a few self made scripts and a pre-configured prefix with D9VK and pre-set registry settings. I'm a bit at a crossroads in which way I could provide the source though. A simple possible way would be to upload a pre-patched Wine source code and my own settings in a separate folders, although for the latter I'll have to write some documentation to explain how it works.

Alternatively or additionally, could you post your release on IPFS ? It is very easy to install. just apt-get install ipfs-desktop to install IPFS-Desktop and enable the service and install Firefox Addon - IPFS Companion. Then just drag&drop your file and paste the link in this thread.

I did check up on Gitea as self hosting would be my preferred method, it would do quite well on a raspberry pi. I'll have to read a bit on using git though, I'm pretty much a noob at that :)

Sorry, I can't read all this thread, but did you manage to run Arcdps + GW2Hook with your solution?

I haven't tested GW2Hook. But I can confirm Arcdps and GW2Radial work well. Additionally I also tried GW2Taco and the game renders to a black screen when trying to load it.