What is the point of making multiple lvl 80 characters?

1 for each ClassRest for inventory and sometimes for a temporary look change since I don't change races in MMOs. Asura are hard to see the gear which is an important thing in fashion Wars 2. So I made a Sylvari Ele to be like a temporary fill in not a replefor my Asura Ele. Can't wait for more and better combat tonics

3 things-Elite spec: i make 3 chars per profession so i don't have to change build, have just made 6 chars with 250 HPs for the 3rd Elite spec.-Voice line: since you character likes to talk alot so 1 class for each of my 3 favorite races (Asura/Charr/Sylvari), thinking of deleting Norn.-BL keysUnfortunately the problem i faced most is remembering where did i put my legendary/ascended equipments? So i use gw2efficiency a lot.

@Acheron.4731 said:gotta learn how other builds work to beat them in pvp and wvw

^^^ A lot of this, but also more.

I have 18 characters, 2 of each class, and a slot I keep as a backup. All of them are level 80, almost all of them have ascended items.

I am driven by many things when making characters. Aesthetic diversity, build opportunities (and their ease of access before templates were a thing), different playstyles, and story decisions (though these are meh, unfortunately).

Their specializations are all pretty unique and that's what I've got to say about that.

I have 36 characters who have all finished the personal story. While my main is a human mirage, I do like to have a variety with each class and race for specific builds and for stories. When a new story comes out, I always will do it first with my main. Plus I do have certain characters at certain spots for gathering, etc. Variety is the spice of life!

Just for fun. I enjoy exploring, so do the same areas multiple times. I do not do the story on each character. I find the story a bit boring, and have never finished it on any character (on any game). I play just for the exploring and the monster bashing. I do have my favorite 2 characters, a few that got to 80 and retired, and few I mess around for fun every now and again.

@Sir Arigius.6294 said:So getting to my point. When I go to another one of my level 80's who hasn't accomplished what my main character has. I don't feel the purpose in redoing the story line or doing the same things over and over again.

Other people aren't you. ;) They enjoy beating the same challenges via the new challenge posed by mastering a different profession and having a different approach at things. People who have been playing this game for years don't have much left to do other then doing that. (I would die of boredom if I had to play only 1-3 characters.)

@Sir Arigius.6294 said:What is the point of making more characters and having more than one level 80?

I have 3 level 80s and I've used 1 out of the 3 to beat all 3 main quest lines of the game. I always use my Necromancer. The base game and the 2 expansions. Not just that I've accomplished a huge of amount of things.

So getting to my point. When I go to another one of my level 80's who hasn't accomplished what my main character has. I don't feel the purpose in redoing the story line or doing the same things over and over again. I can't even sum up the motivation to make a new character either because I know I'll just either be grinding, or using tombs of knowledge or a level 80 Auto item and doing the same roller coaster ride all over again when I could just go find a new experience with my main character.

I'm having trouble seeing the point. Is it just for PVP purposes to make a specific level 80 for WVW and PVP maybe?

If you play high end pve you kinda have to swich ur class between bosses.

I do all content so I don't want to switch armors constantly. I also roleplay in my guilds, so different characters to rotate through. Fashion wars is another big thing for me, so of course I need plenty of models, all having different variations of facial and bodily aspects to toy with.

Well, back in the day, I had a set of characters specifically for PvP, WvW and the PvE.
And at one point, I had a group that was only for fractals.I don't like transferring stuff between characters, it seems like a waste of time for me.Had to wait 15 minutes once for someone to find and move the accessories over the right character.So in part, efficiency.In GW, I had 54 characters... each one a little different than each other.Pretty much the same in GW2.Back when the NPE happened, I made a couple of characters, just to see how the experience would be different from before NPE (instead of the insta-level).Storage.....And pumpkin pails are cheap and 20 slots....

@Sir Arigius.6294 said:What is the point of making more characters and having more than one level 80?

I have 3 level 80s and I've used 1 out of the 3 to beat all 3 main quest lines of the game. I always use my Necromancer. The base game and the 2 expansions. Not just that I've accomplished a huge of amount of things.

So getting to my point. When I go to another one of my level 80's who hasn't accomplished what my main character has. I don't feel the purpose in redoing the story line or doing the same things over and over again. I can't even sum up the motivation to make a new character either because I know I'll just either be grinding, or using tombs of knowledge or a level 80 Auto item and doing the same roller coaster ride all over again when I could just go find a new experience with my main character.

I'm having trouble seeing the point. Is it just for PVP purposes to make a specific level 80 for WVW and PVP maybe?

Character slots are my build templates

My current catalog of 80s...

Human male Power Soulbeast: My seven year old main, used for the whole story line, WvW, and generally the first pass at everything in game.Charr female Pistol Deadeye: She's Rox to my main's Braham. Love seeing six digits on the damage counter.Charr male Support Scourge: My favorite PVE 5-man grouping character, and nearly impossible to die in open world unless I screw up. Considering rebuilding him for WvW.Asura female Staff Mirage: My cute character and arguably my "second main".Asura male Banner Warrior: Started as a RP idea, great for spinny axes and grouping.Asura male Juggernaut Scrapper: Asura mad scientist with a flamethrower, tanky soloing and spamming defense in groups. What's not to like?

Deleted 80s...

Norn female Revenant: Never found a build I truly liked, forgot whatever my original RP conception for the character was, goodbye.Sylvari male Guardian: Good RP concept, but no heavy armor class should be so squishy. Might get remade eventually if I ever figure it out build wise.

In progress...

Norn male Necromancer: Destined to be a huge scary Reaper.Asura female Ranger: Destined to be a druid with group roles in mind.

So, different RP ideas. Different characters for different group roles and modes of play. Maybe I just feel like playing X character today. Many reasons to make multiple level 80s.

a. Lots of quest loot to salvage and then sell the mats to crafters on the TP.b. New norn waifu.c. Fashionable bank slot expansion.

But I hear you. I have made enough alts to play through all of the story paths just for the experience, but that was done with a year or two ago. I now have a main and one experimentation alt and five empty character slots I feel no need to fill.

I have a level 80 for each class. While I play thief most often, all of them have both elite specializations. (So far, the only Elite specializations I have been using is Daredevil.) I have two more level 80 thieves, because I came up with a couple of names I found funny. I swap between the thieves for most things.On and off I do key runs. I liked the cut of HMS Keymaster XXV's (I think) jib, so I had kept her around for a while. I decided to make her a real girl, so boosted her to 80, got a name change kit and she joined the crew. She took part in the daily Grothmar Map completions and will work on core map completion eventually. Each one will get a turn in the Labyrinth this Halloween.