Charr or sylvari guardian/warrior?

There is no mechanical difference, so it comes down to your personal preferences. Here are some commonly stated issues either way:

Charr are very big, making them annoying to use in jumping puzzles. Plus when jumping they do an all fours lunge but what matters for sticking the landing is where their hind feet are so you have to learn to allow for that. Charr have clipping issues in a lot of armor, and a lot of armor doesn't allow for the tail and horns. Female charr almost always get male versions of armor and outfits (a plus for me, but some complain). Charr have some adorable emotes -- /surprised and /sleep especially. Sylvari have the (imo) best /dance. As to combat animations, I can't really say which I find better because I play so zoomed out I don't really see those details.

Sylvari have fewer armor issues, but male sylvari can have shoulder pieces turn huge and hovering off their shoulders. Also if you want to wear leafy stuff rather than covering your bark up with cloth, the armor skins are super limited. Charr can look good in a pretty wide range of heavy armor.

Lore-wise, either race works for either profession. One of my first five characters was/is a Sylvari guardian, and she's had a lot of adventures smiting things and questing around like an Arthurian knight and becoming a Warden and then getting banished for Arthurian-stupid reasons (all rp, though since her Hunt was to find the most beautiful place in the world to save for the Dream she was my second full world exploration alt). For warrior one might lean a tiny bit charr since traditionally charr have been leery of magic and guardians are pretty full of magic burns and shields.

I guess if you are making those two professions and assigning one race to either, I'd say sylvari guardian and charr warrior. But you could easily swap that around and be just as viable. Whatever feels right to you.

@Donari.5237 said:There is no mechanical difference, so it comes down to your personal preferences. Here are some commonly stated issues either way:

Charr are very big, making them annoying to use in jumping puzzles. Plus when jumping they do an all fours lunge but what matters for sticking the landing is where their hind feet are so you have to learn to allow for that. Charr have clipping issues in a lot of armor, and a lot of armor doesn't allow for the tail and horns. Female charr almost always get male versions of armor and outfits (a plus for me, but some complain). Charr have some adorable emotes -- /surprised and /sleep especially. Sylvari have the (imo) best /dance. As to combat animations, I can't really say which I find better because I play so zoomed out I don't really see those details.

Sylvari have fewer armor issues, but male sylvari can have shoulder pieces turn huge and hovering off their shoulders. Also if you want to wear leafy stuff rather than covering your bark up with cloth, the armor skins are super limited. Charr can look good in a pretty wide range of heavy armor.

Lore-wise, either race works for either profession. One of my first five characters was/is a Sylvari guardian, and she's had a lot of adventures smiting things and questing around like an Arthurian knight and becoming a Warden and then getting banished for Arthurian-stupid reasons (all rp, though since her Hunt was to find the most beautiful place in the world to save for the Dream she was my second full world exploration alt). For warrior one might lean a tiny bit charr since traditionally charr have been leery of magic and guardians are pretty full of magic burns and shields.

I guess if you are making those two professions and assigning one race to either, I'd say sylvari guardian and charr warrior. But you could easily swap that around and be just as viable. Whatever feels right to you.

Thanks for your input, was thinking of going traditional but was thinking in the story what fits better? any unique interactions for charr/sylvari guardian/warrior? what looks good and has can fit in while at the same time unique? and for both professions which feels better in general (pvp and pve )

Unique interactions are few and far between. For race, if you have a sylvari you'll get extra bits in the HoT storyline, if you have a charr you may have tailored dialogues in the newest release (I haven't gone through with a charr yet there). For profession, there are ... two? ... points in LS where you get to do something based on your profession. One is a home invasion, the other is a jail escape. (Avoiding spoilers -- once you've done them you'll know which ones I mean, one is in LS3, one in LS4). Nothing that I know of will be extra for you based on being a specific race/prof mix. And a lot of the story is human-centric with one episode in particular not making much sense for any other race but they get shoehorned in anyway.

If you are looking to go a little more unusual, making the charr the guardian might somewhat do that. I'd have to see the stats, but I have a feeling there are a lot more charr warriors than guardians among player alts :)

As I said before I have a female sylvari guardian. I also have a male warrior, but he's never been rp'd. Still, it fits sylvari well imo. Really, I think that if you are going to have a sylvari and a charr, and one is to be warrior and the other guardian, it's a real toss up which to assign to which and you'll probably end up equally happy either way.

@Donari.5237 said:Unique interactions are few and far between. For race, if you have a sylvari you'll get extra bits in the HoT storyline, if you have a charr you may have tailored dialogues in the newest release (I haven't gone through with a charr yet there). For profession, there are ... two? ... points in LS where you get to do something based on your profession. One is a home invasion, the other is a jail escape. (Avoiding spoilers -- once you've done them you'll know which ones I mean, one is in LS3, one in LS4). Nothing that I know of will be extra for you based on being a specific race/prof mix. And a lot of the story is human-centric with one episode in particular not making much sense for any other race but they get shoehorned in anyway.

If you are looking to go a little more unusual, making the charr the guardian might somewhat do that. I'd have to see the stats, but I have a feeling there are a lot more charr warriors than guardians among player alts :)

As I said before I have a female sylvari guardian. I also have a male warrior, but he's never been rp'd. Still, it fits sylvari well imo. Really, I think that if you are going to have a sylvari and a charr, and one is to be warrior and the other guardian, it's a real toss up which to assign to which and you'll probably end up equally happy either way.

So then what about when it comes down to gameplay, which class did you find more fun as a charr or sylvari (animations) and which do you feel overall you had more fun, impact, damage etc.

@Alpharaptor.3914 said:Which profession for each race/vice versa with some reasons too please, having trouble deciding which race taking into account all things, thanks.

If I had only those two options, I'd go with the following:

Charr = warrior (because they love raw, brutal fighting)Sylvari = guardian (because it's the only other option ;) ; perhaps the character was told in their dream to pursue this career as their wyld hunt)

@Potato PC William.2583 said:If you pick Charr, go for Male. Otherwise, Sylvari. I have female charr mesmer, and many armors does not look good/fit right on her sadly.

Honestly, I think the female charr look a lot better than the males in light armor--I've had an easy time using light on females, but males (unless you make them thin) have so much bulk in the torso, it makes a lot of light pieces look goofy.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Alpharaptor.3914 said:Which profession for each race/vice versa with some reasons too please, having trouble deciding which race taking into account all things, thanks.

If I had only those two options, I'd go with the following:

Charr = warrior (because they love raw, brutal fighting)Sylvari = guardian (because it's the only other option ;) ; perhaps the character was told in their dream to pursue this career as their wyld hunt)

What do you think would be both unique but not a special snowflake and fit in the story at the sametime?

charr guard cabbage warr, or both charr. cabbages can spawn turrets or smth with their racial skills, which a warrior normally can't do at all, so that should be fun. If you don't care about racial skills(and you shouldnt really), just pick either race for either class. Lore is all fine no matter what you pick.

It's all down to personal preference. Race does not influence how a class performs, it only has an effect on your personal story. Charr may be fierce and sylvari may be driven to battle for other reasons, but in general only these things effect your personal story:

• Your race (chapters 1, 2, 3)
  • The choice you made at the end of chapter 3, this effects chapter 4 and parts of chapter 6. Race effects what you can help in chapter 5, though
  • A choice you make in chapter 6 effects some parts of chapter 7 (at the end of "A Light In The Darkness")

But generally race has no other difference than certain utility/elite skills available to you (unless you pick Revenant in which they're never available). But otherwise no race has an advantage over another.

I'd go with charr guardian and sylvari warrior, due my weapon & animation preferences.

Warrior greatsword has awful animations for charr, but decent for sylvari. Guardian sceptre animations are awful all around, but slightly better on sylvari. For both professions, I prefer axe animations on charr, i'm not a huge fan of sylvari/human/norn axe animations in general, but i'd say I enjoy the firebrands axe on charr more than i enjoy warrior axes on charr compared to sylvari.

In the end, just try out whatever, these are my opinions and I couldn't form them without trying myself, yours may be very different.

I had a problem with charr running animations making me motion sick, so my one and only charr is doomed to open the same chest for all eternity. If that's no issue for you, then not a problem.

But really, other than the model size and tight spaces and camera interference (like the previously mentioned jumping puzzles) it is all what you want to play.

The Guardian is basically a spellcaster class. Just a caster that wears heavy armor. Relatively low HP, lots of buffing, energy shielding, holy fire, and spellslinging. That never fit with the blunt practical, in-your-face style of the Charr to me. I'd go male Sylvari for a Guardian personally. It fits the personality of the voice actor.

My male Sylvari unfortunately is a Revenant - which is also fine. I gave him a nice neutral blue-gray skin tone, used the inhuman face setting - where the face is almost all slabs of bark, and gave him a striking white mowhawk for hair. He looks good in the Revenant armor, the Sylvari and Nightmare-Court themed armors are actually pretty good, and he looks good in most of the higher-end armor sets.

Charr, in heavy armor are all about the massive spikes and a juggernaut kind of look. It looks great, but I always thought Revenant or Warrior fit them better thematically. Running around in all that spikey armor slinging pretty blue energy balls at the enemy with a scepter as a Guardian seems a little odd. Same for throwing energy orbs with the staff. And all those blue-fire auras... I mean, you CAN color your Charr in pretty white and blue colors with greys to match thematically... but why would you want to?

It's also worth checking out the weapon animations for each race and class on YouTube. The way some races do the Guardian weapon skill animations might really turn you off. If you can't find it on YouTube, it's not a big deal to test-run a Charr Guardian up to level 20 just to see how the attacks look, and then delete the level 20 character and try it again with a Sylvari. Level 20 is so easy to get to that's it's really not much trouble.

Personally I have a female charr warrior and a male sylvari guardian, but the choice of which race I put with which profession was pretty arbitrary. I chose male sylvari because I like the armour options better than the female ones, and I chose a female charr partly because the name I had was for a female character (many charr have Roman-style names and, since I'm a massive nerd, I wanted to name one Hypatia). But this is all personal preference of course.

@"Alpharaptor.3914" said:

What do you think would be both unique but not a special snowflake and fit in the story at the sametime?

The races and professions are designed so that any choice fits into the story. Any combination is lore-friendly (although Revenants are a bit weird since in the lore they didn't exist until Heart of Thorns). Profession doesn't affect the story at all, except a few one-off skills in story instances that make no real difference; race has a minor impact on some of the dialogue, most notably with sylvari in Heart of Thorns.

No combination is unique, but if you care about having an unusual combination, then female charr Revenant is the rarest choice (or at least it was when Path of Fire was released, according to this infographic).

I don't see how a player character in a computer game could be a "special snowflake". As far as I'm concerned, that's just an insult that right-wing tabloids use to criticise young liberal people for showing empathy and tolerance.