Male Norn need some love!

@Operator.2590 said:Way to ignore literally every other point made and just focus on covering your own argument! Not pompous at all, clearly.

Touché. ;) The point of this thread isn't to act up "pompously", though, but to point out flaws that bother me (and others, too, obviously). I am not interested in a quarrel. If you are happy with the male Norn player model design, then this is clearly not the thread for you.

P.S.

@Operator.2590 said:P.S. Didn't really see anything wrong with the OP either, the photoshopped version just made it look like a scaled-up Human.

Which Norn boys and female Norn are! :s Hence there was no point in making the males deformed.

I don't quite agree with the assymmetry though.Assymmetry in a posing serves to give life to the subject. Otherwise it would just look like a variant of the T-pose. That's also the reason I kind of hate male humans posings. In real life we rarely stand up symmetricaly with the arms straight down (the posing you provided is stiffer than the original one and less natural).However, the arms don't 100% complement the lines of force suggested by the curvature of the body. Also, the hips could maybe get shifted more towards the pivot leg to reinforce the suggested intention.

Something they might have taken into consideration is the different weapons equipped, the gears, and the shape choices. So the spacing of the arm may have been a bit inevitable in a way.All in all, they did a decent job on that aspect.

@Tabootrinket.2631 said:I don't quite agree with the assymmetry though.Assymmetry in a posing serves to give life to the subject. Otherwise it would just look like a variant of the T-pose. That's also the reason I kind of hate male humans posings. In real life we rarely stand up symmetricaly with the arms straight down (the posing you provided is stiffer than the original one and less natural).Also a great point—especially when you remember that the Norn are Giants. Expecting perfect posture from 9ft.+ tall humanoids is almost silly. I also wouldn’t expect one to be completely built the same way a Human is either, because technically the Human anatomy as it is now just doesn’t support that. People who suffer from gigantism in the real world usually die young due to weak hearts. All of this, of course, without even factoring in the cold climates they live in as well.

Yeah male norn have the worst model in the game IMO. There's something just really off about the proportions that doesn't exist with the females. I think they really should do a cleanup effort. Of course I also think they look too human when they really should look more like a rugged giant race, but that's just me.

Shorter legs etc are probably the setting for their proportion, I’m cool with that, I do want to see some more nicer body shape though, for Norn male, they look pretty much naturally stocky/fat, I’m sure there will be some of them that do sports and excercise to get nice muscle build, like big pecs, abs and gluts... if the female Norn got huge boobs and ass, why can’t male get decent shaped muscle.

@"Ariurotl.3718" said:I'm completely fine with how they are at the moment. The "corrected" version makes them look more human, which is the opposite of what should really be done. Literally all complaints here use the human-looking Norn females as a feeble crutch of an argument that just doesn't hold any water when you consider that for the umpteenth time, THEY'RE NOT HUMAN.

How do u explain the Norn female then?

Personally I want the ability to be in beast form all the time. I want to be a werebear ALL THE TIME, or a werewolf or whatever may have you all the time since they won't let us shapeshift or have it be a passive. Make it a customization option because the norn are so much cooler than the game gives them credit for, Id love for them to look more like they did in guild wars 1 where they had armors more like what they were shown to wear in the art. (Male armors suck on male norn.)

Id love to always become a big hulking monster when I enter combat, and become this beast of a creature who looks as intimidating as possible. I feel like the norn need more of their lore injecting into the playable nature of them and given more credence to them not being human. (Even with how they look now, they look very human and while they did look like this in guild wars 1 it was only while out of combat.) They should be skin-walkers and shapeshifters, werebeasts as they were always intended to be and more savage than their human counterparts. I've been a norn player my entire time here and I've always wanted to really get the theme down and the feel that my character is just as if not more monstrous than what he is fighting.

The charr in this latest prologue were correct, "you're nothing but a kodan who has lost their claws and fur" this is 100% true. Now if Olaf olafson was alive he would of gone bear form and torn those charr apart no contest. One pissed off norn managed to screw over an entire well trained charr warband, and chase them out of his territory and in guild wars 1 EVERYONE was afraid of the norn. They had some of the best fighters, some of the best traits and were overall the most magically and physically capable and in tune with the world just as much as none other than the now sylvari are. And yet here we are with generic, playing models and we don't even have long beards or good long hair or even good Norse/celtic armor.

NORSE, CELTIC and NATIVE AMERICAN armor and cultures were what these beings were based around. They were the shamanistic hunters and drudic warriors which were so amazing to behold in the original game. And in the lore It was stated that Eir in bear form was so strong she could carve diamonds with her claws and even go toe to toe and pound for pound with Kralk.. Asgeir got pissed and albeit being blessed by all the spirits PUNCHED JORMAG IN THE MOUTH, AND YANKED OUT HIS TOOTH. These beings are NOT push overs and the game needs to reflect this.

We've been ignored enough, We've been neglected and poked fun at enough. As much as I want some spooky eldritch terror from this saga I want my norn back and I want my norn and yes I say MY NORN to not be afraid. To be brave in the face of death and strong to the end, to take on anything this frost wyrm throws at me and dish it back ten fold. I want to feel all of the passion we could clearly see in the original norn and their brief showcase of culture and unique depth.

I want cosmetics and cool stuff for us, I want this playable race to be cool again. Ill never EVER ask A-net for another damn thing if they could just do this please... They are my favorites and im tired of feeling like Im just not as cool as everyone else. Charr look cool, and have unique models. Asuran look decent in armor, Sylvari have NO problems in armor and humans are humans. Meanwhile as a male norn player I get to feel left out , alienated and excluded and left in the no-no corner because the dev's don't love the norn or those who enjoy them.

@Palador.2170 said:

@"Hoover.6394" said:

How do u explain the Norn female then?

I'd say that they're the ones with bad models.

And by "bad", I don't mean "awful". I mean "missed part of the point of the race". But I'm not an ANet dev, so...

I agree with that sentiment. The whole race should have a unified look. :+1:

However, back on topic, a male humanoid body can look bulky/muscular without a misshaped chest, weird triangular neck muscles, ape arms, a small disproportional head and a crooked posture, no?

@Ashantara.8731 said:However, back on topic, a male humanoid body can look bulky/muscular without a misshaped chest, weird triangular neck muscles, ape arms, a small disproportional head and a crooked posture, no?

I'm starting to think you just don't know what a muscular body looks like--which, given the setting, isn't all that surprising. Also, there's a slider in character creation for head size--you can make it smaller / larger to match your body.

If they fix the male norn to look less ugly, then they also need to fix female norn to look less pretty.Female norn are all rail thin (except for the largest body type) with giant ta-tas, supermodel hair, and cutesy-feminine animations. For a race of northern shapeshifting Viking giants who eat like bears, drink enough to kill ten humans, and brawl with monsters....... the females look pretty pathetic.

@Operator.2590 said:

@"Ashantara.8731" said:However, back on topic,
a male humanoid body can look bulky/muscular without a misshaped chest, weird triangular neck muscles, ape arms, a small disproportional head and a crooked posture
, no?

I'm starting to think you just
don't
know what a muscular body looks like

The person who designed the male Norn does not know what a muscular body looks like! (And you seem to lack the eye for such detail.)

which, given the setting, isn't all that surprising. Also, there's a slider in character creation for head size--you can make it smaller / larger to match your body.

Or you could have read my OP, which clearly stated "at max size" for the head. :lol:.

Edit: Here, to demonstrate the difference quickly (aesthetic muscular body vs GW2 Norn):

q5aBAuT.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

i remember posting this some years ago when I was trying to make a handsome norn.the issue is both how weird they are AND that females look basically like a bigger human female. I understand it's a stylistic choice of the artists, but you can still get the current general shape without having it so cartoony as we have now.I do think this is a ship that sailed quite a while ago though...

Just to point out, all the Norn "children" are just using human models. For reasons of saving costs from making more animations etc.

Personally been playing male norn from launch, and I'm happy with the big lug.

If they're first going to change them (strongly doubt that will ever happen, too much work). I'd like to see them make male norn musclar more in the shape of a bear than a gorilla. And I'd want to see the females also become more bear shaped, so they match within the race. Instead of the current "Gorilla vs Amazon". Heck, that made the whole race sound like a King Kong movie.

That was beautiful.

@MidnightX.6294 said:if you ever did such kind of stuff yourself, you wouldnt even ask anet to change this.because they would not only have to remodel the norn body itself, but also every... single... piece... of... armor.

Spot on.

@"joneirikb.7506" said:Personally been playing male norn from launch, and I'm happy with the big lug.[...]

I don't mind an exotic "beasty" look (which should go for both genders, though!), as long as it doesn't involve old man boobs and severe geriatric postural defects, or tiny pin-heads, as we currently see on male norn.