Function gyros are still broken.

bambi.6214

A badly designed effect for a poorly designed mechanism... What did you expect?

ANet devs give skills to e-specs with effects that scare them so much that they feel the need to make the skills horrible to use and very easy to counter in order to make them look balanced. It's obvious that gyros not achieving anything is what ANet devs see as "working perfectly fine". Gyros could be very simple tools, supporting the scrapper in combat in a different way than stomping or reviving but, somehow, those 2 elements became the purity of purpose of the gyros.

I mean, the fonction gyro could have been an immortal utility that simply give a moving lightning field to the scrapper on use with a relatively short CD. You would have had a trait that would daze foes in this field every time you use a tool belt skill and... well, this would have been perfectly balanced and usefull. But it's a very fragile tool on long CD that perform the highly arguable stomp and revive action.

@Dadnir.5038 said:I mean, the fonction gyro could have been an immortal utility that simply give a moving lightning field to the scrapper on use with a relatively short CD. You would have had a trait that would daze foes in this field every time you use a tool belt skill and... well, this would have been perfectly balanced and usefull. But it's a very fragile tool on long CD that perform the highly arguable stomp and revive action.

Or a portable elixir-R well to rezz people without the stomp (like a healer profession).Or a well like DD-elite where downing someone within the next 3s within 120 radius is killing instantly (like a melee power bruiser).Or pulsing stability or increased toughness to allies for 3s while in range on a 20s CD (like a tank).A lot of directions to underline scrapper features instead of doing something unrelated in addition.

At the moment it's mostly used for superspeed in all gamemodes.Stomping/rezzing is mostly ignored due to being highly unreliable.

I really dont know why f gyro should be like rez or stomp thing...

Its nothing to do with scrspper...

I would more like to see f gyro to be able to connect with ur weapon, add hammer 1-5 to have extra effect

Or

Like when press f5, u enter gyro control mode, u have 1-5 new gyro skill, and all ur utility gyro skill is turn into ultra mode too, new gyro mode 1-5 skill is more support and provide stability, barrier, superspeed, quickness, condi clean, rezz, stomp or healing.

Also, u have to generate enough energy to get into gyro control mode , and the energy gain is come from how much barrier u gain maybe like 10000, and conditions u cleanse, one condi cleanse = 500 energy or the healing u provide to allies something like this!!

Which make scrapper can be more fun to play like a support/dps or pure support and ppl wont complain about low dps because all the support that provides

hope this idea can really happen in the future!

@Dediggefedde.4961 said:

@Dadnir.5038 said:I mean, the fonction gyro could have been an immortal utility that simply give a moving lightning field to the scrapper on use with a relatively short CD. You would have had a trait that would daze foes in this field every time you use a tool belt skill and... well, this would have been perfectly balanced and usefull. But it's a very fragile tool on long CD that perform the highly arguable stomp and revive action.

Or a portable elixir-R well to rezz people without the stomp (like a healer profession).Or a well like DD-elite where downing someone within the next 3s within 120 radius is killing instantly (like a melee power bruiser).Or pulsing stability or increased toughness to allies for 3s while in range on a 20s CD (like a tank).A lot of directions to underline scrapper features instead of doing something unrelated in addition.

At the moment it's mostly used for superspeed in all gamemodes.Stomping/rezzing is mostly ignored due to being highly unreliable.

Well, I said lightning field because initially the scrapper revolved around the idea of comboing with lightning field. ANet seem to have almost completly give up to this design (which wasn't bad in itself) in favor of a mechanism that can only (potentially) show some kind of efficiency in small scale PvP. A developpement path which is kinda dumb from my point of view.

@Dadnir.5038 said:Well, I said lightning field because initially the scrapper revolved around the idea of comboing with lightning field.

I don't see this, though. There was final-salvo, thunderclap and super-capacitor as fields, but the only meaningful combo-effect was hammer-3.No trait was originally having any direct influence on combo effects.In fact, this part of scrapper improved:At some point a trait was given, that blasting lightning-fields would give Superspeed.Then it was changed that blasts in general give AoE-Superspeed, jumps Self-Superspeed.There is now even a trait to improve combo-effects! Well, stun-increase by 50% is funny (75% with kinetic stabilizer), but the rest is pretty useless here.

So, I would say scrapper revolved (in present and past builds) more around Superspeed or Stuns rather than comboing lightning fields.

In any case, stomping/reviving is, in my opinion, a pretty random additional effect and useless in most game modes and situations.

@Dediggefedde.4961 said:

@"Dadnir.5038" said:Well, I said lightning field because initially the scrapper revolved around the idea of comboing with lightning field.

I don't see this, though. There was final-salvo, thunderclap and super-capacitor as fields, but the only meaningful combo-effect was hammer-3.No trait was originally having any direct influence on combo effects.In fact, this part of scrapper improved:At some point a trait was given, that blasting lightning-fields would give Superspeed.Then it was changed that blasts in general give AoE-Superspeed, jumps Self-Superspeed.There is now even a trait to improve combo-effects! Well, stun-increase by 50% is funny (75% with kinetic stabilizer), but the rest is pretty useless here.

So, I would say scrapper revolved (in present and past builds) more around Superspeed or Stuns rather than comboing lightning fields.

In any case, stomping/reviving is, in my opinion, a pretty random additional effect and useless in most game modes and situations.

Well, you look at things from a to narrow point of view.The lightning field give speed when you blast it and daze when you leap into it, this is basically the embodiment of the scrapper. The original scrapper emphasis the gain of speed and superspeed for sustain on one side and rewarded daze/interrupt on the other. The hammer itself isn't the only source of blast and leap of the scrapper, engineer contribute a lot to that.

But, yeah we agree about stomping/reviving, these effect don't scream "scrapper", they feel out of place.

I really dislike that function gyros "function" is to revive or stomp. It's an incredibly boring mechanic that does not synergize at all with any of scrappers other abilities. Even before all the scrapper changes it was just a fun gimmick that I would never consider to be the mechanic that defines the profession.

I think moving it to F5 was the right choice though. It makes it a clear ability with a visible cool down rather than this nebulous skill with awkward targeting. What needs to happen now is a rework of the skill so it does something meaningful and integral to the playstyle of the profession. It could play into the Scrappers other abilities like consuming barrier for a strong effect or creating a lightning field that can be readily comboed with. It could even be a weapon kit like Photon Forge with its own unique theme and function.

@Yazeed.4971 said:I really dont know why f gyro should be like rez or stomp thing...

Its nothing to do with scrspper...

I would more like to see f gyro to be able to connect with ur weapon, add hammer 1-5 to have extra effect

Or

Like when press f5, u enter gyro control mode, u have 1-5 new gyro skill, and all ur utility gyro skill is turn into ultra mode too, new gyro mode 1-5 skill is more support and provide stability, barrier, superspeed, quickness, condi clean, rezz, stomp or healing.

Also, u have to generate enough energy to get into gyro control mode , and the energy gain is come from how much barrier u gain maybe like 10000, and conditions u cleanse, one condi cleanse = 500 energy or the healing u provide to allies something like this!!

Which make scrapper can be more fun to play like a support/dps or pure support and ppl wont complain about low dps because all the support that provides

hope this idea can really happen in the future!

So a reverse holosmith where you have to charge to activate, and it is support focused? Honestly seems really cool and would have a great synergy with the med kit and give scrapper a chance to be on the same level of a FB, instead of the sub-healer.

@Antycypator.9874 said:Are you sure it's broken? Function Gyro can be destroyed by simple CC + this skills need some time to finish someone. I don't have problem with it.

It's on the trash side that it's broken. Man I can definitely play scrapper without having to use this skill, ever, but even when I use it for a laugh and with very low expectations it manages to underperform.

@MrForz.1953 said:

@"Antycypator.9874" said:Are you sure it's broken? Function Gyro can be destroyed by simple CC + this skills need some time to finish someone. I don't have problem with it.

It's on the trash side that it's broken. Man I can definitely play scrapper without having to use this skill, ever, but even when I use it for a laugh and with very low expectations it manages to underperform.

It's even bad in PvE situations when you're playing as a healer. I sometimes run a healer in fractals, and it's just terrible. I have to be very cautious not to use it near CC, not too much damage, and definitely not on an ele or thief who is going to teleport/mist form, causing the gyro to break. It's amazing how the class mechanic is worse than just plain ol' "Search and Rescue!"

• 2 weeks later...

It's almost useless to use outside of the field. In any sort of Pvp, it can even be killed by the downed skills. So you basically would have to down, keep stunned/interrupted. The "function" of the function gyro is basically useless and I'm not sure why they keep pushing the reviving/downing aspect - it hasn't worked and there really is no way for it to work without it being massively OP or massively useless.

@"Handin.4032" said:It's almost useless to use outside of the field. In any sort of Pvp, it can even be killed by the downed skills. So you basically would have to down, keep stunned/interrupted. The "function" of the function gyro is basically useless and I'm not sure why they keep pushing the reviving/downing aspect - it hasn't worked and there really is no way for it to work without it being massively OP or massively useless.

From the get-go, function gyro was always a bad idea. I'm pretty sure that as soon as scrapper was announced and f-gyro was revealed, all the engineers had a collective sigh of "oh boy, this thing is going to suck outside of very specific contexts."