Why does Longbow get used

Sansar.1302

@"Fat Disgrace.4275" said:Sounds like

"I main ranger and there for longbow is very weak, when in reality it's pretty strong" (still getting 5k long range shots on my warrior)

Clear off dude, why are people so biased to there own main?Go to wiki and compare damage numbers.

I don't get why some ppl is so lacking of understanding to keep saying this attrocious statements. I'd love them just to avoid this subforum at all, it is impossible to have a constructive discussion with comments like yours.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Dragonzhunter.8506 said:

@Infusion.7149 said:Reaper doesn't dismount and the mobility of a reaper vs a soulbeast is worlds apart , nevermind signet of stone or longbow stealthing. Also I play every meta WvW class and my most played was chrono before it was gutted.

My observation is that even when rangers didn't do nearly as much damage as soulbeasts do currently, people would sit on the wall and use longbow.

This type of comment make me crazy. I read so many times that the main complaint of other classes is that Ranger does a lot of damage with LB when
it is sitting on the wall
. So, it doesn't matter that LB is not really a threat in 1 vs 1 or zerg, but only because can hit from the walls.@Infusion.7149, are you serious?I should have been more specific and split my WvW-specific post into two parts.

1. Dismounting isn't the issue, it's dismounting and insta-killing before hitting the ground (or even being able to use a skill) off dismount despite 3000 armor. It is felt more on a class without passives such as Defy Pain on warriors or durability runes (increased mount health and activated protection passive). The wall example is more about elevation than structures. Skills like CoR cannot do this since it doesn't multi-hit, is slow , affected by terrain, and isn't tracking the target. The closest things with multi-hit are double-tap on deadeye which doesn't have the same damage levels, or warriors that for some reason decide to run rifle and use Volley (which has 1200 range and no vulnerability) which has higher travel time plus it doesn't arc.

2. There are always going to be some people playing rangers (roleplayers or otherwise) because even before soulbeast, rangers would stay off tag and pew pew at >1200 range or doing their own thing roaming when literally every other class is trying to be on tag. It's one of the most common complaints against rangers in WvW besides pets (which is why it is mainly soulbeasts to address the pet issue).

P.S. I was against nerfing longbow auto as it's not the problem, it's largely stacking soulbeast multiplicative % bonuses with food/keep bonuses/bloodlust as far as WvW.

When I see a fellow ranger with Lb I know I am getting a bag ;) last morning I killed a duo of two soul beast With Lb they could not hit me at all with the lb (they reported me as hacker lol) :) think it says all about the skill and knowledge spread among people that play Gw2

I play Soulbeast roamer and scout in WvW. This nerf wasn't needed. Now it's just harder to kill things while the real problems of WvW are still unaddressed. Problems like massive unavoidable AOE barrages, and classes like thief, mesmer, and guardian that can make themselves effectively untouchable for seemingly minutes at a time while still dishing near-instakill damage. Rangers were not and are not the problem in WvW; the problem is that WvW "balance" is non-existent.

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

@Dawdler.8521 said:Yeah its totally weak when it can 100-0 someone at 1800 range using rapid fire.

We all cry for the poor rangers whos autoattack now does 5K damage instead of 6K.

Except a build with axe/warhorn GS will beat the longbow build 100% of the time while doing way better against everything else in general, yet longbow got nerfed lol.

LB damage got nerfed because it can do the damage it does at like double the range of anyone else so they can’t exactly “counter” it, and LB also has utility. kitten LB outrangesLiterally every weapon in the game due to how arrow projectiles work, only thing that even rivals it is Deadeye rifle.

It only does that damage with a kitten glassbuild anyone with half a brain should be able to beat easilly. A core warrior will close the gap and eviscerate you a new one for 13k.

So how was LB better than boonbeast, mirage holo and core war again?

Neither of them can flank one shot anybody from the same range. You can't deny facts. They all are annoying in their own rights, but not everybody has access to invuln on demand or reflects and blocks immediately before getting chunked way too hard for what it does.

Yes, builds have strenghts and weaknesses, the strenghts the other builds offer far outweigh the strenghts the extra range offers. All youve said is that X can do X and Y can do Y.

@Dawdler.8521 said:Yeah its totally weak when it can 100-0 someone at 1800 range using rapid fire.

We all cry for the poor rangers whos autoattack now does 5K damage instead of 6K.

Except a build with axe/warhorn GS will beat the longbow build 100% of the time while doing way better against everything else in general, yet longbow got nerfed lol.

LB damage got nerfed because it can do the damage it does at like double the range of anyone else so they can’t exactly “counter” it, and LB also has utility. kitten LB outrangesLiterally every weapon in the game due to how arrow projectiles work, only thing that even rivals it is Deadeye rifle.

It only does that damage with a kitten glassbuild anyone with half a brain should be able to beat easilly. A core warrior will close the gap and eviscerate you a new one for 13k.

Sure a core warrior could close the gap if they survive the burst they very well won’t even see coming.

And again, LB doesn’t need to be STRONGER than a full build, it just needs to be less fun to play against for people.

That is exactly not how balance works, what you are saying is "we should nerf things that poeple whom are bad at the game find annoying", that isn't balance.

I don't think anyone ever said, at least in this threat, tha LB ranger is superior to any of the specs you mentioned. Not sure why you feel so combative or defensive about it.

Longbow is a weapon of convenience for open world content, and prior to a substantial set of nerfs, in pvp/wvw it could be devastating to be caught off guard/without cooldowns by a soulbeast running LB + Sic Em. However, as long as you had one stunbreak available, followed by a dodge, you could survive even the pre-nerf pewpew of death without too much trouble. Survival is just easier now with the nerfs to Sic Em, unblockable, and now follow-up damage as well.

I mean this is exactly what i have been saying, the problem is that i hear poeple call for nerfs, nerfs means balancing and balancing is done by trying to bring in line objective performance. Any roamer worth their salt ran survival before this too anyways, just way better than full glass vs actual good players.

@Infusion.7149 said:Reaper doesn't dismount and the mobility of a reaper vs a soulbeast is worlds apart , nevermind signet of stone or longbow stealthing. Also I play every meta WvW class and my most played was chrono before it was gutted.

My observation is that even when rangers didn't do nearly as much damage as soulbeasts do currently, people would sit on the wall and use longbow.

Dismounting shouldn't matter, the mount is unbalanced AF and having a fight happen when 2 players collide is actually the balanced thing.

Also lol @ sitting on wall.

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:Sounds like

"I main ranger and there for longbow is very weak, when in reality it's pretty strong" (still getting 5k long range shots on my warrior)

Clear off dude, why are people so biased to there own main?

You can't main warrior and say what you just said lol.

Huh ?

Random instant 13k eviscerate with infinite heals and cleanses but yeah, core war's pretty stupid since the rework and top tier 1v1.

@Infusion.7149 said:

This type of comment make me crazy. I read so many times that the main complaint of other classes is that Ranger does a lot of damage with LB when
. So, it doesn't matter that LB is not really a threat in 1 vs 1 or zerg, but only because can hit from the walls.@Infusion.7149, are you serious?I should have been more specific and split my WvW-specific post into two parts.

1. Dismounting isn't the issue, it's dismounting and insta-killing before hitting the ground (or even being able to use a skill) off dismount despite 3000 armor. It is felt more on a class without passives such as Defy Pain on warriors or durability runes (increased mount health and activated protection passive). The wall example is more about elevation than structures. Skills like CoR cannot do this since it doesn't multi-hit, is slow , affected by terrain, and isn't tracking the target. The closest things with multi-hit are double-tap on deadeye which doesn't have the same damage levels, or warriors that for some reason decide to run rifle and use Volley (which has 1200 range and no vulnerability) which has higher travel time plus it doesn't arc.
  2. There are always going to be some people playing rangers (roleplayers or otherwise) because even before soulbeast, rangers would stay off tag and pew pew at >1200 range or doing their own thing roaming when literally every other class is trying to be on tag. It's one of the most common complaints against rangers in WvW besides pets (which is why it is mainly soulbeasts to address the pet issue).

P.S. I was against nerfing longbow auto as it's not the problem, it's largely stacking soulbeast multiplicative % bonuses with food/keep bonuses/bloodlust as far as WvW.

This doesn't work vs 3k armor at all, also, once a ranger shoots at you why don't you dismount yourself? Basically anyone playing smart/with a stunbreak won't get oneshot by a ranger.

There is no "problem" when other builds greatly outperform ranger in 1v1, why is rapid fire a problem when a core war/holo/mes/thief will brush it off and demolish you? All rapid fire does is kill bad ktrainers.

@anduriell.6280 said:

Clear off dude, why are people so biased to there own main?Go to wiki and compare damage numbers.

I don't get why some ppl is so lacking of understanding to keep saying this attrocious statements. I'd love them just to avoid this subforum at all, it is impossible to have a constructive discussion with comments like yours.

Well, when I see silly comments like "longbow is in a weak state then ofc I am going ro reply with an equally silly comment back, anyway.

Think only gun lame and kill shot are stronger than ranger AA, i know wars hit bloody hard, been on both eends of the fight but that's melee range and obvious to think about dodging it, AA longbow is different because, do you dodge that, or guess it's going to not crit.

Come to think of it, longbow on warrior #3 can actually hit hard too :o

@Anput.4620 said:

Neither of them can flank one shot anybody from the same range. You can't deny facts. They all are annoying in their own rights, but not everybody has access to invuln on demand or reflects and blocks immediately before getting chunked way too hard for what it does.

Yes, builds have strenghts and weaknesses, the strenghts the other builds offer far outweigh the strenghts the extra range offers. All youve said is that X can do X and Y can do Y.

Sure a core warrior could close the gap if they survive the burst they very well won’t even see coming.

And again, LB doesn’t need to be STRONGER than a full build, it just needs to be less fun to play against for people.

That is exactly not how balance works, what you are saying is "we should nerf things that poeple whom are bad at the game find annoying", that isn't balance.

I don't think anyone ever said, at least in this threat, tha LB ranger is superior to any of the specs you mentioned. Not sure why you feel so combative or defensive about it.

Longbow is a weapon of convenience for open world content, and prior to a substantial set of nerfs, in pvp/wvw it could be devastating to be caught off guard/without cooldowns by a soulbeast running LB + Sic Em. However, as long as you had one stunbreak available, followed by a dodge, you could survive even the pre-nerf pewpew of death without too much trouble. Survival is just easier now with the nerfs to Sic Em, unblockable, and now follow-up damage as well.

I mean this is exactly what i have been saying, the problem is that i hear poeple call for nerfs, nerfs means balancing and balancing is done by trying to bring in line objective performance. Any roamer worth their salt ran survival before this too anyways, just way better than full glass vs actual good players.

Dismounting shouldn't matter, the mount is unbalanced AF and having a fight happen when 2 players collide is actually the balanced thing.

Huh ?

Random instant 13k eviscerate with infinite heals and cleanses but yeah, core war's pretty stupid since the rework and top tier 1v1.

This doesn't work vs 3k armor at all, also, once a ranger shoots at you why don't you dismount yourself? Basically anyone playing smart/with a stunbreak won't get oneshot by a ranger.

There is no "problem" when other builds greatly outperform ranger in 1v1, why is rapid fire a problem when a core war/holo/mes/thief will brush it off and demolish you? All rapid fire does is kill bad ktrainers.

Oh, absolutely. No doubt warriors hit like a truck but I wouldn't really call eviserate random as longbow AA.

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

Huh ?

Oh, absolutely. No doubt warriors hit like a truck but I wouldn't really call eviserate random as longbow AA.

A core warrior is way better than a LB ranger atm so what is the problem here? Being annoying has no argument in balancing. Core war also has so much healing and cleanses it is not ok while also hitting so hard.

@Anput.4620 said:

Huh ?

A core warrior is way better than a LB ranger atm so what is the problem here? Being annoying has no argument in balancing. Core war also has so much healing and cleanses it is not ok while also hitting so hard.

Pretry sure someone 1 posted about some "immortal core warrior build" that could 1vx but died in seconds when a necro corrupted his butt but anyway. Last I remember ranger can also be as durable as said warrior that can match melee dmg but this is a different case altogearher.

The argument is, longbow is not weak (especially if built for longbow)

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

Huh ?

Pretry sure someone 1 posted about some "immortal core warrior build" that could 1vx but died in seconds when a necro corrupted his butt but anyway. Last I remember ranger can also be as durable as said warrior that can match melee dmg but this is a different case altogearher.

Just slot in shake it off.

Also, the difference is that that ranger build mauls for 3,5k while the warrior eviscerates for 13k and axes for 6k.

Longbow is weak when compared to other roaming options and is just a noobstomp weapon now.

This is only against zerk targets. A typical tanky target it doesn't crack 800-1000 damage. I've seen videos on here that people have posted before trying to prove how OP ranger was but in the process shooting themselves in the foot.

If it was in fact true what you said, we'd see WvW flooded with longbow rangers, but we don't now do we.............

@Anput.4620 said:

Huh ?

Also, the difference is that that ranger build mauls for 3,5k while the warrior eviscerates for 13k and axes for 6k.

Longbow is weak when compared to other roaming options and is just a noobstomp weapon now.

3.5k? and the rest. I often get up to 8+

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

Huh ?

Don't dare to say that Warrior output damage is lower than a Ranger or any other class!

@Dragonzhunter.8506 said:

Huh ?

Don't dare to say that Warrior output damage is lower than a Ranger or any other class!

Not saying that at all, why even put them words into my mouth? but how do you bench mark this anyway? On a stationary golem? Fully buffed with boons/dmg modifiers? On a moving target at range?

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:Not saying that at all, why even put them words into my mouth? but how do you bench mark this anyway? On a stationary golem? Fully buffed with boons/dmg modifiers? On a moving target at range?

Warrior is one of those classes with very high mobility. He can chase a Ranger and he can be in melee range in a second.It was proved in many encounters between warrior and other classes.

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

Huh ?

We where talking the tanky build aka boonbeast right? Not LB ranger. I main boonbeast with axe/warhorn GS. You seem to be talking paper ranger which has always been plain bad and purely a noob stomp build.

Can hit for 4,5k once i get some more might from axe or whastevs but wanted to show a generic average situation.

I would kill for a ranged weapon that did power damage like it on many of the professions I play, especially with all of the utility it still has.

If it was more than a minor nerf to the auto, I would be upset. This is still not a problem. I still live for ranger longbow...best dmg, utility, and fun ranged weapon in the game.

2 reasons,

1. Most importantly, its fun. After *000's of hours on AH Guard, Hammer Rev, Scourge or whatever is needed and now I play what I find the most fun. I don't really give a shite about its super effectiveness although its still very strong if your doing alot of small scale fighting or for picking of the loose or poorly positioned zerg targets, though versus alot of classes the glassiness makes for a quick death in 1v1's

2. Not a fan of Ranger GS, if i could switch Guard GS skills for Ranger GS skills my soulbeast would never drop GS. On switch is generally always Axe/WH because i find it a very good combo, though i havent been that active recently and haven't tried the new Sword skills out

@Infusion.7149 said:

It's called ranger for a reason...do you guys ever played any other MMO? Since the dawn of time in all MMO, the ranger class has been played with a longbow...it's only in GW2 that people like you expect otherwise so...can we nerf to the ground axe/shield combo on warrior and force them on ranged by buffing rifle? see how stupid it sound?

You must be new to to this subsection. I can't tell who's worse, soulbeast or scourge mains.

@Arheundel.6451 said:

It's called ranger for a reason...do you guys ever played any other MMO? Since the dawn of time in all MMO, the ranger class has been played with a longbow...it's only in GW2 that people like you expect otherwise so...can we nerf to the ground axe/shield combo on warrior and force them on ranged by buffing rifle? see how stupid it sound?

Gw2 has the syndrome of: all classes can do everything, but people forget that not all can do it the same way.Ranger will always be an archer or rather the one who most resembles an archer, but this after 7 years has not yet been understood, people would do anything to see a Warrior with Rapid Fire lol

@Revolution.5409 said:

Gw2 has the syndrome of: all classes can do everything, but people forget that not all can do it the same way.Ranger will always be an archer or rather the one who most resembles an archer, but this after 7 years has not yet been understood, people would do anything to see a Warrior with Rapid Fire lol

They don't need that, gunflame will hit a tanky target for 17k.

@anduriell.6280 said:

They don't need that, gunflame will hit a tanky target for 17k.

At that point you would find someone who will tell you: But Ranger can shoot from a range of 1800+ and this warrior cannot do it, the usual story to justify nerfs without looking at all that their profession can do. XD