Appeal of the Russian-speaking community Guild Wars 2

INOY.6945

• 2 weeks later...

Good day Anet and fans of Guild Wars 2.

A few weeks ago, on the game’s maps, a procession of players passed, with posters in the form of chat messages, with requirements for the game’s developer, to introduce the Cyrillic alphabet.

I’ll tell you my opinion, adding the Cyrillic alphabet to the game’s chat is the smallest thing that Anet can do, since the localization of the game is required.
Someone can say why in the game, do you need the Russian language? Who needs it in the game, only for Russia?

No friends! It is not only for Russia. It is spoken in other countries where it is taught in schools and institutes.

But besides these countries, which are next to Russia, Russian is taught in language courses and in European countries, which is far from Russia.I, as a YouTube blogger, meet a video: Spaniards, Italians, French, English, and even Americans that learn Russian and make YouTube videos in that Russian on YouTube.Agree that after this, the lack of localization, or at least the Cyrillic alphabet in the chat of the game, looks very strange, like those explanations of Anet that we heard from the first days of the sale of the game.They wrote to me, that Italians also do not have a game in their own language. But I'm sorry, but do Italians write in a different alphabet than the British or the Germans? No, they have Latin and this allows them to chat in Italian, being in the English or German server.But with the Russian language, everything is different. Yes, 50% of the letters are similar to yours. But the other half of the alphabet does not occur at all in the alphabet of your language. Latin - 26 letters. Cyrillic - 43.

Tell me why the Chinese, Japanese and Koreans can chat to write their hieroglyphs, but you can’t write the Cyrillic alphabet? Why is the large European community of players deprived of their language and alphabet in the game ???

@"Lara Kroft Rus.3954" said:Good day Anet and fans of Guild Wars 2.

A few weeks ago, on the game’s maps, a procession of players passed, with posters in the form of chat messages, with requirements for the game’s developer, to introduce the Cyrillic alphabet.

I’ll tell you my opinion, adding the Cyrillic alphabet to the game’s chat is the smallest thing that Anet can do, since the localization of the game is required.

Someone can say why in the game, do you need the Russian language? Who needs it in the game, only for Russia?

No friends! It is not only for Russia. It is spoken in other countries where it is taught in schools and institutes.

But besides these countries, which are next to Russia, Russian is taught in language courses and in European countries, which is far from Russia.I, as a YouTube blogger, meet a video: Spaniards, Italians, French, English, and even Americans that learn Russian and make YouTube videos in that Russian on YouTube.Agree that after this, the lack of localization, or at least the Cyrillic alphabet in the chat of the game, looks very strange, like those explanations of Anet that we heard from the first days of the sale of the game.They wrote to me, that Italians also do not have a game in their own language. But I'm sorry, but do Italians write in a different alphabet than the British or the Germans? No, they have Latin and this allows them to chat in Italian, being in the English or German server.But with the Russian language, everything is different. Yes, 50% of the letters are similar to yours. But the other half of the alphabet does not occur at all in the alphabet of your language. Latin - 26 letters. Cyrillic - 43.

Tell me why the Chinese, Japanese and Koreans can chat to write their hieroglyphs, but you can’t write the Cyrillic alphabet? Why is the large European community of players deprived of their language and alphabet in the game ???

Just wondering though, about your last question:Does Japanese, Chinese and Koreans players actually write in their own language when playing in EU/NA servers ? Or rather, can they actually do it ?Furthermore, I could tell you that this comparison is a bit odd because outside of EU/NA (except for China with its own separate game), the population of players from Asia must be so low and therefore irrelevant.

Now here is the real question: is the population of eastern players high enough for GW2 to consider the cost of adding Cyrillic language into the game a worthwhile investment ? Because if the population was as high as you claim it to be, they would have been better off opening a big data server for eastern countries with its own Cyrillic in game language support.

Personally I have no problem with different languages in chat, and Cyrillic in game chat would be as normal as me seeing guild recruitment ads in polish. But so far I have never played or seen any games where different languages that are based on different alphabets are displayed on one single big data server.

Good luck for your request though.

@flog.3485 said:

Just wondering though, about your last question:Does Japanese, Chinese and Koreans players actually write in their own language when playing in EU/NA servers ? Or rather, can they actually do it ?Furthermore, I could tell you that this comparison is a bit odd because outside of EU/NA (except for China with its own separate game), the population of players from Asia must be so low and therefore irrelevant.

Now here is the real question: is the population of eastern players high enough for GW2 to consider the cost of adding Cyrillic language into the game a worthwhile investment ? Because if the population was as high as you claim it to be, they would have been better off opening a big data server for eastern countries with its own Cyrillic in game language support.

Personally I have no problem with different languages in chat, and Cyrillic in game chat would be as normal as me seeing guild recruitment ads in polish. But so far I have never played or seen any games where different languages that are based on different alphabets are displayed on one single big data server.

Hello, there is one nuance in this situation. Players from the CIS to play GW2 must register on European servers. Many people use a vpn connection to play, and there is really no way to track how many people are playing from the CIS countries. Or most likely the company does not want to publicize it. Also, not every player will say from which country he plays, due to the political situation. The fact that many people do not participate in pickets and processions does not show the real situation of Affairs, and it may turn out that from the CIS countries there is more than a statistical error. Me as a player familiar with the first part of GW is very inconvenient that I have limits, the right to write in their own language. And if our community back in 2012 or 2013 was ready to pay for the creation of localization, but we were refused silence, speaks about the incomprehensible course of the company for us. P. S. Please not block me if I suddenly that the, accidentally, violated, if will require I can articulate more correctly.

@AlexKeks.9768 said:

Hello, there is one nuance in this situation. Players from the CIS to play GW2 must register on European servers. Many people use a vpn connection to play, and there is really no way to track how many people are playing from the CIS countries. Or most likely the company does not want to publicize it. Also, not every player will say from which country he plays, due to the political situation. The fact that many people do not participate in pickets and processions does not show the real situation of Affairs, and it may turn out that from the CIS countries there is more than a statistical error. Me as a player familiar with the first part of GW is very inconvenient that I have limits, the right to write in their own language. And if our community back in 2012 or 2013 was ready to pay for the creation of localization, but we were refused silence, speaks about the incomprehensible course of the company for us. P. S. Please not block me if I suddenly that the, accidentally, violated, if will require I can articulate more correctly.

Thx for your input. Didn’t know about that.

AlexKeks. 9768 is right.In YouTube, there is (in English) an appeal from Russian-speaking players to ANet, asking for a Cyrillic chat.And before that, they asked for localization and even wrote that they were ready to collect the money themselves to pay the costs.And what is the answer? In response, or silence, or refusal to do so.

@Lara Kroft Rus.3954 said:AlexKeks. 9768 is right.In YouTube, there is (in English) an appeal from Russian-speaking players to ANet, asking for a Cyrillic chat.And before that, they asked for localization and even wrote that they were ready to collect the money themselves to pay the costs.And what is the answer? In response, or silence, or refusal to do so.

Maybe it is just not worth the effort. And we already had this discussion in another thread. Why repeat it?

@"flog.3485" said:

Yes, they really can do it, the blogger INOY Demonstrated this in his video by switching the keyboard to Chinese.I answer the second question. I already wrote that Russian is spoken not only in Russia and in countries near Russia, but also residents of the EU and the USA.A Russian-speaking community is a huge number of players and is not limited to the borders of one country.I will add, in the original game, there was localization and then, ANet had no complaints that it was not profitable.

The Russian-speaking community is not only those for whom the Russian language is native, but also those who study it as a second language.Here's an example of a YouTube blog where a girl from Spain learns Russian and leads, in Russian, her YouTube channel

And the Frenchman does the same

And the last About what you said at the end of the post. The game has several servers with different languages. There is a server in German, French, English and Spanish. In GW -2 there is no server, immediately in all four languages.

Any company that throws in language support without an ENTIRE background of support staff and native-speaking staff is repeating a huge mistake that no one seems to learn. You can't just throw in another alphabet and call it a day. Here is why you can't:

[Last Week Tonight - Facebook and Language Support]("

"

Here, John Oliver explains in exquisite detail why you can't just absent-mindedly support a new language. Facebook learned this the very hard way.

As such, Arenanet will not be able to just throw in Cyrillic and call it a day. They'll need an entire department of support staff to support the language, as they have with every language they currently support. What you're asking for is nothing small.

I watched the video. But I did not understand how this video explains with the lack of Cyrillic in the game.

This is for technical support of the game, or localization of the game, you need a staff of workers who speak a specific language.And for the alphabet, it is not required.And when localizing the original game, there were no such problems.And as I wrote at the beginning of the post, the players volunteered to do the translation of the game. And as I heard, the company Mail.ru can take on this work.

@Lara Kroft Rus.3954 said:But with the Russian language, everything is different. Yes, 50% of the letters are similar to yours. But the other half of the alphabet does not occur at all in the alphabet of your language. Latin - 26 letters. Cyrillic - 43.

Cyrillic alphabet comprises 33 letters.

Only Korean has full (-ish) support. Chinese (both simplified and traditional) has very limited support in the NA/EU version of the client. Japanese is not supported.However, it seems that the problem is fonts.

@Ol Nik.2518 said:

@Lara Kroft Rus.3954 said:But with the Russian language, everything is different. Yes, 50% of the letters are similar to yours. But the other half of the alphabet does not occur at all in the alphabet of your language. Latin - 26 letters. Cyrillic - 43.

Cyrillic alphabet comprises 33 letters.

Thank. Google gave the wrong data. But I can’t fix the text (((

@Fueki.4753 said:Are there even dedicated Russian servers? If not, then we don't need Cyrillic letters.

Cyrillic alphabet is used for over 50 different languages, not just Russian. Some of those languages (e.g. Bulgarian, Serbian) are spoken in Europe. Implementation of Cyrillic in chat would allow players who speak those languages to communicate more comfortably.

It is also worth mentioning that Cyrillic is one of the three official scripts of the European Union. It makes perfect sense for EU servers to support Cyrillic alphabets.

@Rogue.8235 said:As such, Arenanet will not be able to just throw in Cyrillic and call it a day. They'll need an entire department of support staff to support the language, as they have with every language they currently support. What you're asking for is nothing small.

This statement is simply false. There is no Polish, Swedish, Gaelic, Finnish, Korean, or Italian department of support stuff despite the fact that they are supported in chat. The only four languages that have support on EU/NA servers are English, Spanish, French, and German. But people can use any language which writing system is based on the Latin alphabet and weirdly enough, Korean language (perhaps the support for Chinese characters in Korean is limited but they are not used often anyway).

I don't need .ru lang support ... absolutely.But one thing is left - if will be added .ru lang the GuildWars2 will be get new breath whit new players. Say I say ok, let it be.

BUT please don't spend resource to make localization and all translation. May be, in future, give interface to ANY OTHER language, only to make localization like side addon for someone who want translate not from ANET money. Keep money for something more great))

@Ol Nik.2518 said:

@Rogue.8235 said:As such, Arenanet will not be able to just throw in Cyrillic and call it a day. They'll need an entire department of support staff to support the language, as
they have with every language they currently support.
What you're asking for is nothing small.

This statement is simply false. There is no Polish, Swedish, Gaelic, Finnish, Korean, or Italian department of support stuff despite the fact that they are supported in chat. The only four languages that have support on EU/NA servers are English, Spanish, French, and German. But people can use
any
language which writing system is based on the Latin alphabet and weirdly enough, Korean language (perhaps the support for Chinese characters in Korean is limited but they are not used often anyway).

I find this curious. Are you saying that there is no team of employees at arenaet that speak those languages? If someone reports abuse in Swedish, there isn't a single employee in the entirety of the company that can respond? If true, then Arenanet is making the same mistake many businesses make. If not true, then they do have a support team of employees who speak these languages natively.

All I wanted to point out is that language support is more than just adding a language. It needs to be an entire localization effort with a team who natively speaks the language and entirely understand the underlying cultures (including the nuances of language). Slow movement in implementing a language could mean that this entire support system is in the works (I want to emphasize that this is a possibility, not a statement of what is). Any company that does not make this much effort for language support faces huge problems, an example of which is thouroughly discussed in the video I linked.

@Rogue.8235 said:

@Rogue.8235 said:As such, Arenanet will not be able to just throw in Cyrillic and call it a day. They'll need an entire department of support staff to support the language, as
they have with every language they currently support.
What you're asking for is nothing small.

This statement is simply false. There is no Polish, Swedish, Gaelic, Finnish, Korean, or Italian department of support stuff despite the fact that they are supported in chat. The only four languages that have support on EU/NA servers are English, Spanish, French, and German. But people can use
any
language which writing system is based on the Latin alphabet and weirdly enough, Korean language (perhaps the support for Chinese characters in Korean is limited but they are not used often anyway).

I find this curious. Are you saying that there is no team of employees at arenaet that speak those languages? If someone reports abuse in Swedish, there isn't a single employee in the entirety of the company that can respond? If true, then Arenanet is making the same mistake many businesses make. If not true, then they do have a support team of employees who speak these languages natively.

There are over 100 languages that use Latin script. I seriously doubt that even NCsoft (ArenaNet's parent company) has resources to hire people who can speak all those languages sufficiently well to respond to support tickets. This, however, does not mean that those languages cannot be used in chat. The only thing that matters in GW2 chat is whether writing system is Latin-based or not: If it uses a Latin alphabet you can type it as in any native application; if it's not you are screwed.

All I wanted to point out is that language support is more than just adding a language. It needs to be an entire localization effort with a team who natively speaks the language and entirely understand the underlying cultures (including the nuances of language). Slow movement in implementing a language could mean that this entire support system is in the works (I want to emphasize that this is a possibility, not a statement of what is). Any company that does not make this much effort for language support faces huge problems, an example of which is thouroughly discussed in the video I linked.

I think that you are conflating chat support with localisation. This is not what this thread calls for. This thread specifically asks for Cyrillic script support in chats, i.e. players want to be able to write and read in chat using Cyrillic alphabets. No one asks for game translation or support in their native languages.

Vietnamese and Tagalog use Latin script for example, and I'd be pretty surprised if ANet has support staff for either of those languages.

If it's not an officially supported language, the company will usually do a best-effort translation using translation software. This does not always provide a great result - I have first-hand experience trying to work this out with Russian chat, which has some rather complicated grammar and complicated profanity to go with it - but game companies usually stipulate in the EULA that they can't guarantee good behaviour from other players.

@Ol Nik.2518 said:I think that you are conflating chat support with localisation. This is not what this thread calls for. This thread specifically asks for Cyrillic script support in chats, i.e. players want to be able to write and read in chat using Cyrillic alphabets. No one asks for game translation or support in their native languages.

And who controls the chat reports? I mean every community has its toxicity and if I'm thinking about CS and others, holy moly I heard more russian rages than english ones. So, even if those insults are not understood by the majority of the GW2 community how are you handling that? I think you need more than one support employee to manage all the chat reports and now we are talking about a significant amount of money, not 1-2k dollars once.

Well, Viatnamese and Tagalog are so rare I don't think it plays any role when it comes to chat reports.

@"Vinceman.4572" said:And who controls the chat reports?and who control it now then it writed to someone on translate latin alfabet ? :) or something positive like "4e, berega poputal?"no one ? So why we should care if anyway this is unknow for something how it looks ?

@lare.5129 said:

@"Vinceman.4572" said:And who controls the chat reports?and who control it now then it writed to someone on translate latin alfabet ? :) or something positive like "4e, berega poputal?"no one ? So why we should care if anyway this is unknow for something how it looks ?

Thanks for supporting my argument. Why expand the chat possibilities that only cater to a certain subset of the player base if you already cannot control everything you want right now? The majority of players are communicating in english due to being native speakers or being able to speak english. The next subsets are german, spain and french (I personally don't know about the chinese market and I guess no one knows here) and Arenanet have people for them in their staff. So, for supporting cyrillic chat they have to hire new support stuff a thing which is most likely not to happen if we take a look at what has happened to the company this year. It's about money and therefore I doubt that Arenanet has the capacities of realizing it.